The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Canes in Vegas...8 Feb 20

What's even more stunning to me is that the team is 5-0 in shootouts so far this season.  Canes were 10-16 over the past 4 seasons, although they have been at .500 the past two.

16 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

What's even more stunning to me is that the team is 5-0 in shootouts so far this season.  Canes were 10-16 over the past 4 seasons, although they have been at .500 the past two.

These are turning out to be extremely important points too.

1 hour ago, RickD_99 said:

I’m as elated as any of you guys for a win last night we probably didn’t deserve. However this notion that “if we just play a full 60 minutes” we can beat anybody in the league is laughable! Have you forgotten already what happened just a few days ago against a skilled but also physical team in St. Louis? What about the ECF against Boston last Spring? Just in terms of goaltending, team defense, and offensive consistency we are a long way from resembling a team that can go all the way in the most brutal playoff system in all of sports...

You nailed it!  100% agree.  The Canes, and any other team in this league, can beat ANY team on any night.  Throw that in the trash when it comes to a 7 game playoff series.  That is why the victory over the Caps was monumental.  Unexpected would not come close to describing it.  They earned and gave blood and guts to move on, but to think this team can repeat against another physical team is a dream.  The victory over the Isles was a battle of styles.  The Bruins showed what it will take to go all the way.  The Canes did not have an easy trail, having to play both Washington and Boston, but you have to beat the best to be the best.  Loved the comeback last night, but nobody should make too much of it.

Edited by beboplar

11 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

LMAO, those Oilers would have won those 5 Cups with Mongo in goal which doesn't make Fuhr top tier or even good by todays standards. Hell, during their 87-88 Cup run he never had a better SV% that .881 INCLUDING playoffs. If that's your definition of a good goalie then we should be more than fine with Mrazek and Reimer.

Irbe didnt have  a high save % either  but he had a great  gaa .    why not be honest with yourself and take a look at Fuhrs   gaa  in the 80's     ,  mind you   that era in the 80's  ( which you wanted to bring up )    goalies of that skill level    would be toast  in todays   era  .    you still have not given me 1 team .   you lost the argument . 

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

You wanted Reimer gone like 30 minutes before you posted this. Make up your mind.

Yeah i still do  , but i can at least give credit  in some small part ,  am i not merciful ? lol 

18 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Please never give anyone your thoughts on line pairings  again .    I feel embarrassed for you . 

BCC151A1-B077-47CB-A7DF-66180A631687.gif

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 7

Just now getting to a keyboard. When I went to bed last night I was about as sure we were toast as I can remember when down by 2. I was stunned to see that score today. Stunned. I have been at work and unable to watch the third period, but if anyone can recap how we did it, it would be appreciated.

Necas. It is nice that some remember my calling him out the day he was drafted and many since. He has special ability. There are two things to throw out there in terms of evaluating him this year. 1. He's a rookie. The NHL is an brutally unforgiving league. He will keep getting better similar to the way Svech has. 2. We were spoiled with Svech. But Svech was the rarest rare, #1 overall forward status. Still, we watch Svech and might be tempted to think, "well Necas is good, but not that good." Well he's not better than Svech but he's at the top of rookie forwards this year. He's a different type of player. I doubt he hits Svech's point totals, but he is dynamic and will be a very good complementary piece tot the top line or line 2. I see him as a natural center. Can he get there by next season? Maybe.

The team. I think we have the forward firepower if we can just get a couple of guys amped up a little. I'm not talking career years, just back to averages: Dzingle, Staal, Nino, and Haula come to mind. We could use a very good playmaking center, but good luck finding that at the deadline.

The problem, IMO is that super loose D coverage. If there's a place to look up "odd man rushes allowed", we'd have to be near the top lately. I do think Dougie has something to do with it. He not only found his O this year, but his D tightened a lot IMO. We miss him. But it's also some on coverage from forwards.

Some like to stress the physicality,  and fine, but to me the main thing is finding the mental tenacity to lock down the zone and then get the puck out. Last night for two periods we did neither. Last night was worse than average because usually we can at least get the puck out of the zone. But if we can get to a tighter D coverage, I suspect we really can beat anyone. Now that's different than predicting we will. The teams at the top of the East are extremely good.

OK, main thing, what a phenomenal comeback. That never die thing is critical and this team has it.

• Like 5

Talk about seeing-eye goals and prayers from downtown answered. We've got winning ugly down. It'd be nice to see a little domination again, but I'm not sure we can muster it without Doug. I'd really like to see McKeown about now.

• Like 1

Just now, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd really like to see McKeown about now.

Bean too...and Geekie...hell, let’s give Ned a look

Edited by AWACSooner

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Bean too...and Geekie...hell, let’s give Ned a look

Yeah, I don't think Ned is in the cards this season barring... well, you know, that thing that begins with the letter i that I'm not about to think, let alone type. And Bean and Geekie (the latter espcially) have some minuses to turn into plusses. But Roland just keeps rollin' along, and we sure could use a stay-at-home guy to remind people what smart pinches look like. 

Edit to add, I think guys on the back end are feeling like they have to pick up Dougie's loss in the O-zone, and that's admirable, but is leading to some bad decisions.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Irbe didnt have  a high save % either  but he had a great  gaa .    why not be honest with yourself and take a look at Fuhrs   gaa  in the 80's     ,  mind you   that era in the 80's  ( which you wanted to bring up )    goalies of that skill level    would be toast  in todays   era  .    you still have not given me 1 team .   you lost the argument . 

Why do so many of your arguments remind me of a Mark Twain comment?

Dude, you asked for (just) one Cup team with crappy goaltending and I gave you the Oilers. Period. Moving the goal post to "within the last 30 years" afterwards to better suit your argument doesn't magically validate anyone winning or losing anything. The bottom line is that Fuhr's career .883 SV%, 3.69 GAA and records for most career and season goals allowed over 10 years with the Oilers, are what they are. Nowadays he'd be lucky to get an AHL tryout contract.     

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

San Clemens at least knew grammar, syntax, and punctuation.

• Like 3

He also knew the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. Speaking of Twain, if you haven't seen it, this is the funniest thing you'll see this week, guaranteed (wait for it):

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, Whaler1 said:

Dude, you asked for (just) one Cup team with crappy goaltending and I gave you the Oilers. Period. Moving the goal post to "within the last 30 years" afterwards to better suit your argument doesn't magically validate anyone winning or losing anything. The bottom line is that Fuhr's career .883 SV%, 3.69 GAA and records for most career and season goals allowed over 10 years with the Oilers, are what they are. Nowadays he'd be lucky to get an AHL tryout contract.     

And it’s not like you have to go back that far to find a team that won the Cup with crappy goaltending during the season.  The Caps just won the cup a couple seasons ago and starter Holtby had a woeful stat year with a .907 save percentage and he loved letting other teams light him up with a 2.99 GAA.  Both stats placed him well out of the Top 40 for goalies that year. 

• Like 1

Goaltending can absolutely make the difference in teams winning the Cup, but you still have to make the saves when it counts most. Irbes' one-year GAA in the '02 playoffs was 1.67, good for 53rd all-time for one playoff season. Hasek's GAA of 1.87 that year is only good for 87th all-time. But we all know which team won the Cup.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Goaltending can absolutely make the difference in teams winning the Cup, but you still have to make the saves when it counts most.

No arguing that. 

I guess I'm one of the few who is actually ok with our tandem. I just wish someone would remind Petr that he doesn't need to scramble all over the ice to be effective, and convince Reimer that he is not going to fall off the face of the earth when he steps outside of the crease.

• Like 3

Necas is tied with Dougie as our #3 goal scorer. If his improvement year over year is anywhere close to Svech, watch out next year. Speaking of Svech, I don’t follow Buffalo enough to know, but I wonder if they have any remorse taking Dahlin over Svech. 

2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Necas is tied with Dougie as our #3 goal scorer. If his improvement year over year is anywhere close to Svech, watch out next year. Speaking of Svech, I don’t follow Buffalo enough to know, but I wonder if they have any remorse taking Dahlin over Svech. 

Buffalo is a true mess, not sure if they'd have taken them both if they could have done anything? Between them and Edmonton, not sure which is the worst run. Funny how I thought that when Terry Pegula bought the franchise, with his blubbering claims of how he intended to turn things around post haste, I actually thought the Sabres were on their way. Guess it's harder than he thought, either that or he's been side tracked?

9 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

No arguing that. 

I guess I'm one of the few who is actually ok with our tandem. I just wish someone would remind Petr that he doesn't need to scramble all over the ice to be effective, and convince Reimer that he is not going to fall off the face of the earth when he steps outside of the crease.

I'm good with them too. It's no coincidence that the keeper concerns here surfaced in earnest after Dougie went down. The D has scrambled as much as Petr, and it's shown on the scoreboard. If they'll just get back to their game--and I absolutely believe that reuniting Peas and Carrots would help that happen--nobody'd be the least bit concerned about our keepers.

Slavin/Pesce

Gardiner/Fleury

Ed/TVR

McKeown

• Like 3

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Why is it that our goalie coach hasn't corrected that sliding habit of Petr leading to him being out of position or overplaying the puck? 

Maybe because Petr's the one playing the games? I'm sure they've covered it, but the whole D side of things is discombobulated since Doug went down, running around in its own end. That shiz is catching, and Petr's been infected. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, remkin said:

Just now getting to a keyboard. When I went to bed last night I was about as sure we were toast as I can remember when down by 2. I was stunned to see that score today. Stunned. I have been at work and unable to watch the third period, but if anyone can recap how we did it, it would be appreciated.

We reviewed it a bit.  Let me try:

- Aho does what makes us all happy and goes to the net and picks up garbage for the goal.  The thing that Brindy says is "difficult to do every night".  This occurs as the the front of a delayed penalty.

- Knights take a double minor after Haula helps the refs with a good neck snap back.  Granted, it WAS a penalty, Haula just helped make sure they saw it.  Gotta do that sometime.  A video review happened, I think due to the double minor?

- Slavin then has possibly the WORST play of his season by lazily and uncharacteristically swiping his stick in his attempt to poke check.  Vegas returns with a clear break away and scores a SHG.  Team could have folded right there.

- Haula returns the favor on the 2nd of the minors and has a nice clean semi-break and smokes Flower 5 hole.  He seems to know a thing or two about this guy.

- Fluery (the good guy) finds a seem on a point shot.  It is reviewed for goalie interference.  Tripp calls it a 60-40 to go in Canes direction.  It does.  Goal.  Flower pushed Foegs in the back and apparently the refs therefore didn't mind the contact with a skate.  Again, guys paying the price, making traffic, etc.  Good stuff.

- Necas is along the boards and passes back to Garnier near the point.  Garns then passes back to an open Necas who has the sweetest, wickedest goal you've seen in a while.  Talk about getting ALL of it.  Laser.  Necas can't get an assist on his own goal, but deserved it.  Haula gets instead since he was the 2nd Cane back who touched it years ago.

- Reims lays a MAJOR egg, all on him.  On a semi dump in near the net, he partially comes out of the crease and attempts to pass into the corner, but fails, and Eakin screams in and does an easy wrap around while Reims is trying to get his stick and skate out of the twine.  Eakin had 2 ft of space on the far post to execute the wrap around.

So, you see, lots of good.  But there were some real flubs too.  In the end, my takeaway is they brushed off what should have been a fatal SHG against.   They did a lot of positive things on O.  D and G continue to concern in this period with those lapses.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2