The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Canes in Vegas...8 Feb 20

I wouldn't say a team can't win with bad goaltending, but the evidence is overwhelming that to do that is an outlier. I'm not trying to jump into the "is is possible" debate, but with all of the debating about this guy or that guy not scoring or plus minus or anything else, the one thing that has historically correlated with making the playoffs or not is team save %, and I'm a bit sensitive because we've historically stunk at it. There are always exceptions but the correlation between save % and playoff making is still pretty tight. I bring it up only because I want this team to one day have "that" guy. It doesn't guarantee success, but it's a huge leg up. 

Mrazek has not been getting it done IMO. The one thing that gives me hope for this season is that he is historically streaky, but with pretty long streaks and when he's hot, he's good. So, I guess, I'm hoping he gets hot again the way he did last year. But until that happens? "Help us Obi Wan Reimer, you're our only hope", is what I'm saying.

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

Awsome recap WXray! Thanks. Makes me remember when we had a post game thread or something like that. 

Ah yes, the good old days.  I actually took a notebook to games back then and came home and wrote it up.  It was semi-ridiculous since I missed some action.  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Maybe because Petr's the one playing the games? I'm sure they've covered it, but the whole D side of things is discombobulated since Doug went down, running around in its own end. That shiz is catching, and Petr's been infected. 

That's what I'm wondering top. Could it be that Mrazek has tuned out his goalie coach and is now reverting to the real Petr Mrazek, ergo going on long streaks of the bad? And the corollary to that may be the "discombobulation" that appears in the D, as they now are out of sync with their goalie? IDK, is the "shiz catching and Petr is being infected" or is the shoe on the opposite foot, kinda chicken and egg scenario? All I know is that I've seen Petr way out of his goal too much. Hard to defend that?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Maybe because Petr's the one playing the games? I'm sure they've covered it, but the whole D side of things is discombobulated since Doug went down, running around in its own end. That shiz is catching, and Petr's been infected. 

I'd even go back to early December when the D first showed noticeable problems breaking out clean and struggle with momentum, especially during home games when they want to be the aggressor compared to away games, when teams tend to play a tad more conservative. I think Doug's loss just magnified it all.

What I started noticing is that more and more teams are using sort of a modified "left wing lock" on our left handed Dmen during their forechecks, trying their best to herd them to the right boards and basically forcing them to move the puck out of the zone on their backhand. The result is a lot more frustrated puck-lobbing going on, bad passes, fewer clean break-outs, more turnovers and momentum going south while our forwards head north or have to wait in the neutral zone with no speed or momentum. Reimer's patience and composure seems to suit the guys better when they get frustrated while overly antsy Petr might even contribute to the frustration.

Just my 2 cents.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

What I started noticing is that more and more teams are using sort of a modified "left wing lock" on our left handed Dmen during their forechecks, trying their best to herd them to the right boards and basically forcing them to move the puck out of the zone on their backhand. The result is a lot more frustrated puck-lobbing going on, bad passes, fewer clean break-outs, more turnovers

Absolutely this. It looks like we've regressed into this using nothing but the boards to clear long shifts, seldom even looking for the quick outlet towards center, or the 2 or 3 quick stride skate to earn a little time and space. Teams do watch film for recent tendency, and ours right now plays right into 2 or 3 forecheckers just lining up along the boards and keeping possession longer even if danger doesn't ensue. And the clears that do get through up the boards more often than not are icing, so the shift is extended even further, reducing fresh legs as games wear into the 3rd. Seems they feel the puck has to get out, with quickly being more of an option than showing just a hair of patience to allow a passing lane to clear. That's what I see anyways.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wxray1 said:

We reviewed it a bit.  Let me try:

- Aho does what makes us all happy and goes to the net and picks up garbage for the goal.  The thing that Brindy says is "difficult to do every night".  This occurs as the the front of a delayed penalty.

- Knights take a double minor after Haula helps the refs with a good neck snap back.  Granted, it WAS a penalty, Haula just helped make sure they saw it.  Gotta do that sometime.  A video review happened, I think due to the double minor?

- Slavin then has possibly the WORST play of his season by lazily and uncharacteristically swiping his stick in his attempt to poke check.  Vegas returns with a clear break away and scores a SHG.  Team could have folded right there.

- Haula returns the favor on the 2nd of the minors and has a nice clean semi-break and smokes Flower 5 hole.  He seems to know a thing or two about this guy.

- Fluery (the good guy) finds a seem on a point shot.  It is reviewed for goalie interference.  Tripp calls it a 60-40 to go in Canes direction.  It does.  Goal.  Flower pushed Foegs in the back and apparently the refs therefore didn't mind the contact with a skate.  Again, guys paying the price, making traffic, etc.  Good stuff.

- Necas is along the boards and passes back to Garnier near the point.  Garns then passes back to an open Necas who has the sweetest, wickedest goal you've seen in a while.  Talk about getting ALL of it.  Laser.  Necas can't get an assist on his own goal, but deserved it.  Haula gets instead since he was the 2nd Cane back who touched it years ago.

- Reims lays a MAJOR egg, all on him.  On a semi dump in near the net, he partially comes out of the crease and attempts to pass into the corner, but fails, and Eakin screams in and does an easy wrap around while Reims is trying to get his stick and skate out of the twine.  Eakin had 2 ft of space on the far post to execute the wrap around.

So, you see, lots of good.  But there were some real flubs too.  In the end, my takeaway is they brushed off what should have been a fatal SHG against.   They did a lot of positive things on O.  D and G continue to concern in this period with those lapses.

Nice recap...I’ll add a big play on the shootout that didn’t turn out to be important—but could’ve been.  Turbo was the first shooter and Fleury went for the poke check and missed as Turbo moved the the right.  Flat out missed the puck but tripped Turbo.  A wide open net is there and Fleury tripped him.  A goal should have been awarded.  Rod was livid on it in the post-game press conference when asked about it, saying it was a trip, should have been a goal.  Rod said he yelled trying to get an explanation, but the refs wouldn’t even look at him. Thankfully Svech and Williams came through and Reimer did his part, but it was yet another wrong end of a call that seems to be a pattern for the Canes this season...

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, KJUNKANE said:

That's what I'm wondering top. Could it be that Mrazek has tuned out his goalie coach and is now reverting to the real Petr Mrazek, ergo going on long streaks of the bad? And the corollary to that may be the "discombobulation" that appears in the D, as they now are out of sync with their goalie? IDK, is the "shiz catching and Petr is being infected" or is the shoe on the opposite foot, kinda chicken and egg scenario? All I know is that I've seen Petr way out of his goal too much. Hard to defend that?

Totally chicken and egg, but if I had to pick the trigger it was Dougie's injury--or maybe it was the ASG/bye week? Since its very good performance in the three games immediately after Dougie went down (OT loss and two wins against very good teams, the Isles and Jets, to get them to the long break), to my eye at least, the D's gotten increasingly sloppy, game by game. Since the break, even in wins, there are long periods of defensive malaise, and I mean from the forwards on back. And I think once a keeper makes several bacon-saving stops per game and the team doesn't make his job easier, he feels like he has to look as big as possible to shooters from every angle. That means coming out of the crease, and when you do it on the more acutely angled shots, you have to get all the way to the other post, not just across the crease but across the ice between you and the crease (thanks to leaving it), if the opposition changes the field of attack, of the pucks in the net. And no keeper can be that on, when he's facing 35 shots a night.

Tripp always talks about keepers being quiet in their movements. Petr is the opposite of that, and Reimer isn't far behind, although his size lets him get away with it more often. Petr is smaller and has to be perfect to make some saves that look almost routine when James makes them in the same situation. But regardless who's in net, the D needs to step it up. They're pretty much MIA.

Edited by top-shelf-1