The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Debbils @ Canes...Valentine's Day

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

But they have a goalie who can steal games.

Heck, they have 3. Georgiev played last night, and he is the rumored odd Mann out to Lundquist and their Russian rookie.

Was in the house last night. Takeaways:

- Petr was much quieter in the crease and it showed.

- The D has fallen into some bad laziness. Jersey's first goal resulted purely from guys not looking at the weak side to see if anyone's lurking. And we give up our own blue line far too easily. And because of that, the middle opens up. Big, really big gaps. That shiz won't fly tomorrow.

- Sloppiest stickhandling and possession game we've played in a while, and that's saying something, because our control of the neutral zone has been on and off all year, but has been off consistently now for about four straight. Not a crisp pass between the blue lines all night.

- And the power play... eeesh.

On the scoreboard we beat them easily, but this was a game where the wave should have been rolling around the arena by the mid-second, and Mrazek saw about 15 shots all night. If the guys come out like that tomorrow, it won't be pretty.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The D has fallen into some bad laziness. ...

- Sloppiest stickhandling and possession game we've played in a while, ... Not a crisp pass between the blue lines all night.

Top, what do you think the reasons for that? We have the same core defensmen and most of the team from last year. Is that Rod allowed playing loose turned into playing lousy? Where all negligence comes from?

13 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Was in the house last night. Takeaways:

- Petr was much quieter in the crease and it showed.

- The D has fallen into some bad laziness. Jersey's first goal resulted purely from guys not looking at the weak side to see if anyone's lurking. And we give up our own blue line far too easily. And because of that, the middle opens up. Big, really big gaps. That shiz won't fly tomorrow.

- Sloppiest stickhandling and possession game we've played in a while, and that's saying something, because our control of the neutral zone has been on and off all year, but has been off consistently now for about four straight. Not a crisp pass between the blue lines all night.

- And the power play... eeesh.

On the scoreboard we beat them easily, but this was a game where the wave should have been rolling around the arena by the mid-second, and Mrazek saw about 15 shots all night. If the guys come out like that tomorrow, it won't be pretty.  

Nice analysis top. 

I wanted to focus on your second point and elaborate a bit. There has been a pretty widely known focus in recent years on "crossing the royal road".  Basically getting the puck to cross the mid point with an east-west pass in the lower offensive zone. This is not new, but the emphasis on it seems to be. I offer two observations, but I haven't made any kind of study of it, and wondered if others are seeing.

Teams do this way more than they used to. The basic theory is getting the goalie moving side to side, but it can also catch the D napping on the far side.  On TV it often results in a Forslund call of, "One pass too many." Of course when that exact same pass works, it becomes, "That's hockey, Baby!". Anyway the data show that it works enough to be worth trying many times in a game. When one thinks of the alternative, it's usually a low percentage shot from the wing, which works even less (and seems to be our fall back shot of choice for years now, though less the last two years). And to the eye even the missed connections on those passes are a lot more dangerous "dodged bullets" than the alternative shot from the side to a set goalie. 

Anyhoo.....what I see is:

1. Teams cross our Royal Road a lot. And quite often we don't cover it well.

2. We don't cross their Royal Road nearly as much as they do. They being just about every team we play.

Seems to me that working on both ends of this concept would help a lot. But I'm not sure Roddy has our guys trying it. He seemed a bit reserved after that last game about the idea. That gorgeous goal by the SAT line, dramatically crossed the royal road AND back in the same play. When asked Rod said, something to the effect of 'you can't go to that too often', and then 'well those guys have the green light more due to the skill'. 

Now I get that whipping the puck around cross ice and back can risk turnover, but really I'm talking about the back door tap in play or the cross ice pass one time. Just seems that we don't get to the back door as well, nor convert the royal road play nearly as much as other teams, especially outside of the SAT guys. I wonder if we concentrate on that as much as other teams.  Seems to me we should.

• Like 1

First I've heard the term "crossing the royal road".  Don't know why, but that term sounds kinda dirty to me, lol. :P

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

That SAT goal that crossed the royal road twice made me think of my daughters' favorite joke when she was 5:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road, roll around in the mud, then cross the road again?

A: He was a dirty double crosser.

Not bad really.

12 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Top, what do you think the reasons for that? We have the same core defensmen and most of the team from last year. Is that Rod allowed playing loose turned into playing lousy? Where all negligence comes from?

I posited a few days ago that our D is trying to replace the O it got from Dougie, which it simply isn't going to do. And I thought it could help if Peas and Carrots were put back together, to model what good defense looks like to the other pairs, because with TT, Aho and Svech finally together, the D doesn't need to replace Dougie's points.

So the answer to your question is, I'm not sure. The D lapses could be due to still trying too hard to contribute, or to becoming lax about upholding basic best D practices--like not getting back so deep in your own zone that you give away the blue line, and having your head on a swivel make sure the far side is covered.

But whatever the cause, after the drubbing we got in Dallas from an offensively challenged team, and the really crappy puckhandling of Friday, I hope that we will see some of the tightest D and best possession today that we have all year, because time's a-wastin' to get into stretch drive form. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Just seems that we don't get to the back door as well, nor convert the royal road play nearly as much as other teams, especially outside of the SAT guys. I wonder if we concentrate on that as much as other teams.  Seems to me we should.

It could also be that other teams are defending it well, because both TT and Aho scored a ton of goals on that play last season. Plus guys are def getting out on Svech regularly when he gets the puck at the top of the circle, mainly because he's wristing it. I'd like to see him start one-timing it a la Ovi, because dusting it off and taking those two strides to flex his shaft (now THAT sounds dirty!) is what's giving the D time to get there. I get the advantage of a wrister's silence that Tripp is constantly going on about, but it's obvious you're getting the puck to Svech in that location so he'll shoot it. So one-time it, and let them try to catch up to it.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

I'll just add that the Jersey goal I referenced may technically satisfy the definition of a royal road play because the puck crossed our zone, but I think of that play more in terms of one where you establish possession and move the puck around to open up that play. This goal came in transition and resulted entirely from our D overplaying their zone entry on the right wing (our D's left side). We just totally ignored the other side of the zone. As Jersey's trailer crossed the blue line I said, "watch the far side," and a second later he had the puck. A second after that, it was in the net.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:10 AM, surfzone365 said:

Got a chance to see the highlights and this was a solid effort from start to finish.  

Agreed. IMO the 1st 2 periods were the best 40 minutes this team has played since early in the season. Lets do it again today