The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Oilers at CANES, 4PM, Feb 16, KEEP ON ROLLING!

14 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Tough loss.

I still like the game and some players performance, but would it be too much to admit the roster is good on paper only? Except SAT line (and giving Necas some slack) - bunch of underperformers. Though much better effort today, but it's not enough. It's clear nothing significant could be done before deadline, so start rotating AHLers to evaluate and get them experience. And the committee has a lot to do in the summer to get rid of deadweight...

I think you make a fair point. I was there yesterday. I actually think at a lower level this might have ended up being the trap game, so I want to be careful with this analysis. I saw the Oilers getting sticks on everything we tried to do. This was enough to foil lines 2-4 almost completely. I don't mean no points for those lines (there wasn't even a secondary assist) I mean few chances. There were 9 points (goals/assists) scored by our guys. The 9 guys on lines 2-4 had none of them. In fact the only non TVR (his wrister got tipped in) names on the scoresheet: Slavin, Aho, TT, Svech with 8/9 points. Since TVR's wrister was not really a high skill play, it is fair to say IMO that Slavin, Aho, TT, and Svech created essentially all of our offense. 

Asked about it after the game, Brind'Amour once again said that he needs everyone contributing. Asked about keep the SAT line together, he said well as long as they score all the time (paraphrased). This is Brindy's dilemma. If he keeps SAT together, he gets squadoosh from everyone else, and conventional wisdom says other teams figure out how to load up on line one. If he splits them up, it's hard to get any of the lines going. Since the cherubs work so well together, and Svech can create on his own, it's not hard to see why Brindy puts Svech elsewhere. 

So when an opponent comes to play defensively, like they do in the playoffs, players need an extra level of compete and skill to get over that. Right now we have a handful of guys who can do it consistently, and a good number of guys who mostly can't. This is why, uncharacteristically I am not a "one player away" kind of guy visa vi the deadline. The "one player" would have to be so good as to not be worth the price, or not even available. 

I'm going to post on this in the in season thread, but you are right. (I'd go farther to the positive on Necas because he's a rookie. Also, he's a rookie that plays a pretty high end, fast, open game, which will presumably take more time to refine than a more traditional game. But Necas is on pace for 23 goals and 50 points. This is a clear step up from all of the other underperformers and again, the kid is a rookie). All of the forwards under Necas (ie not Necas, Svech, Aho, or TT) are underperforming to some extent or are 4th liners. It's just a matter of how much. It is really pretty amazing that we are still on 99 point pace with so many passengers on lines 2-4, Dougie out, and defensive lapses. 

Last night's game showed that our elite players can steal us a point (almost 2), but that is probably not enough to get in the playoffs let alone compete vs Boston, Tampa, Washington, or Pittsburgh, let alone possibly 3 of them in sequence. 

I still think the lack of a pure 2C (and by extension the utter offensive ineptitude of Staal) is the single thing hurting the most. But it is not fixable at the deadline unless we make some sort of blockbuster hockey trade that brings a 65 point playmaking center who can play some D in. Fat chance. 

So maybe we add a D man. But that is also unlikely to fix lines 2-4, so they soldier on.

There is more talent on those lines than we're getting production from. If even a couple of guys (say Haula and Staal) suddenly started creating offense? Or Nino? It could all turn around. If we had guys at or just above their historical abilities in those lines, we could do some damage. We'll see. 

• Like 1

I was at the game also rem, with youth from our church, so could not analyze it quite as broadly as you (as if I ever could)? Nevertheless, this team is becoming an enigma to me once again. From game to game, to my eyes, little things keep popping up which seem in a constant state of flux. For one thing, in the Devils game, my impression was that we were getting broad scoring from many. In this last one vs the Oilers, as you point out, only a single line. Now granted New Jersey is a mess AND the Oilers are much the better team, but they had played the night before!!! I thought we'd be able to persevere in the later stages of the game, but we were totally inept against that team in establishing anything in the offensive zone. Time and time again to my eyes, when we did manage to get the puck down on their end, the players were too exhausted to make a play?

What I'm not understanding is, Brind'Amour's schtick, the most famous part of his persona, and what I believe I could personally feel with every game LAST YEAR, was his physical prowess he projects and seemed to imbue into that team. What's happened to that, and before the answer is, We traded Ferland away, I don't buy that as he was only 1/2 effective. Has this team not bought in like last year's? Did we need a messenger in the room (Williams) to drive it home, and further, Is Staal ineffective in doing so? As much as anything, one would think that having learned in the 1st playoffs we'd been to in it seems forever, one could reasonably believe that lesson of physicality should carry over for at least 1 year? Often, towards the end of games in that 18-19 season, I just knew our physical conditioning would win the game. This year, forget it.

But rem, I do most especially agree with part of your theme, and as much as I hate to admit it, I don't see a one player trade as fixing these broad based, if very small, problems. And if true, than I also echo several on here that are suggesting that we should bring up a few AHL players to give them experience and possibly light a few fires in those underperformers who are likely to miss out on the outdoor game next year if they keep trending like present🤗

• Like 2

Kjun, 

I don't really have the answer, just the problem. Well, my answer is for Brindy to get at least 2/4 of Staal, Nino, Haula or Dzingel going, but that's a pretty boring plan. I love the idea of bringing up guys from the AHL, but doubt that happens. It's too risky. Kind of like pulling the goalie early (when you should), since it's seen as an aggressive move, and it is (knowingly) going to fail more than it works (you're down by two with 6 minute left, you're losing that game anyway), but since all people seem to see is that the coach made this uncharacteristic move and we lost, he must be wrong. Sort of like that. But really worse because the downside is more real.

Because also, there is the affect on the veterans in the room who have overall played well and fought all year, and now this kid comes up and displaces one of their brothers. It would have to involve a trade, but that's risky too. Say we trade Nino and bring up Goat. Despite Ninos woes, unless Goat comes in and rocks, it will sit badly with the room probably. And expecting Goat to come in most of the way through the season and rock with that kind of pressure on him? I guess we could expand the roster after, and get the rotation going. But again the kid is making a vet sit. Some risk.

IMO the only way we can go there right now is if a guy gets injured. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

IMO the only way we can go there right now is if a guy gets injured. 

I think that the issue will get forced for better or worse soon. i.e a call up /shakeup, otherwise you cant say you tried to address it. 

Game Observations from 301:

I was happy to see Number 4's level of play. 

Crowd was pretty until near the end. 

Post game guy(nameless) seemed to indicate that Reimers play was not up to snuff.  Maybe, but he got totally hung out to dry at least twice.

Unless we get more(any) scoring from lower lines we are TOAST in short order.

Lastly-  Plenty of after the call cheap shots for Edmonton.  Refs need to control that is it gets to be a pattern (IMHO).

PS: i'm jumping on the best seats I can get for the outdoor game:  Hoping STH priority helps.

• Like 2

Along the lines of what KJUN and Rem brought up about the Brindy's physical style, where has the conditioning gone. As the season has progressed there has been a noticeable drop in the teams 3rd period play. It used to be that the 3rd period was when we shined, not because we didn't show up for the first, but because we just wore the other boys out with our conditioning. The only players I can see consistently still going hard are Pesce, Slavin, Svech, Aho, and Turbo. 

Also, I would point out that Pesce has also been contributing offensively though usually on the breakout and entry.

• Like 1

I think Caniac514 nailed it earlier....based on what happened last year coupled with the offseason additions on paper at least it looked like we could be uber competitive in the Metro. However aside from SAT and Necas it just hasn’t materialized for whatever reason. What we didn’t see coming was how strong the Metro competition would turn out to be. Who among us here thought that CBJ would be sniffing the playoffs?

Personally I am in favor of sitting tight at the trade deadline and just waiting to see how things turn out. I do *not* want to waste a first round draft choice in hopes of finding a blue liner that more than likely won’t get us over the hump. Let’s be patient and realize that we are still a work in progress and that the best and most proven way to build a winner is through the draft.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Personally I am in favor of sitting tight at the trade deadline and just waiting to see how things turn out. I do *not* want to waste a first round draft choice in hopes of finding a blue liner that more than likely won’t get us over the hump. Let’s be patient and realize that we are still a work in progress and that the best and most proven way to build a winner is through the draft.

Mega Dittos

Late to the party. I did watch the game last night. One take away is that other than our top line everyone or at least many of our Canes seem to be looking for someone else to make the play. Sometimes a player needs to want the game on his stick, I'm all for slick passing plays but sometimes you just have to shoot the puck.

Happy for the point.

Have we run Necas with Svech, Aho, or Turbo at all this season? It seems to me we can make two Euro slick passing scoring lines out of those 4. Obviously don't break up the SAT line right now though. But with the points made about the lack of production from the bottom three lines last night, there might need to be another shake up soon. 

Bravo to TVR for his first goal of the season last night. But that turnover was horrible. 

20 minutes ago, thickburglar said:

Bravo to TVR for his first goal of the season last night. But that turnover was horrible. 

And that’s why I still want him gone

10 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

Normally I don't complain about the officiating because it often goes both ways but the blatant non-calls last night got to me.

86340500_10157364992343978_5261412917026226176_n.jpg

We are a small market, non-traditional hockey market team. We probably bring the fewest tv eyeballs to a national game. After making the ECF last year, and with at least 2 (Aho, Svech) of the most dynamic young players in the game, The NHL/NBC gave us all of one national TV game this year. The referees work for the league. They are human, but they are not stupid. When you see bad calls against and missed calls for game after game, it’s pretty obvious the questionable calls are not going to change. Florida, Columbus and Arizona probably get the same treatment. What we do have control over, and have improved but not rectified, is killing penalties that are called, and running an effective power play. Watching Edmonton, winning PP face offs and crisp puck movement, it was not hard to see why they have the #1 PP. Had we not been burned by that PP once (really twice because they scored about 5 seconds after the first one ended), we win that game.

• Like 4