The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Leaves...the meltdown redemption game (22 Feb 2020)

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well...depends on your definition of “good.”

He’s a frigging rental. The definition or mortgaging the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cc said:

He’s a frigging rental. The definition or mortgaging the future.

Not if we end up re-upping...it’s not like any and all players being traded right before they hit UGA status automatically walk come July 1

note: this isn’t meant to be an endorsement of going and trading for him 

Edited by AWACSooner

4 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Quick question to the pro trade guys. I understand the whole "reward your play with a trade" idea, but wouldn't walking in the room and saying "Guys, you are a hell of a group and we have decided you dont need any help. Nobody we could bring in is better then the group we have here" show just as much faith in them?

I'm afraid I just don't get it. The group that existed before last night didn't need any help IMO (and I posted that position a lot), but after last night it's not the same group. Literally. There are three absolute, gaping holes in the lineup that currently don't exist. So they have to do something just to fill the team out. 

So the options are help from Charlotte only, help from outside only, or a mix of the two. Calling up a single goalie, even also a defenseman, from the AHL is one thing. There are 5 other D men out there and the new guy's minutes can be kept short, and the one goalie call up for one guy injured can mostly back up. But calling up two goalies means we are starting an AHL goalie every single game, and his back up is an AHL goalie every single game.

At the moment, we have done just that, calling up both AHL goalies. My guess is that this is a bargaining move, but if that's the plan? Well it could work. Heck, why not just put the zamboni driver in net? But I just can't believe that's the final plan. I guess we'll see.

4 hours ago, Bing_Chow said:

Or Ned could the next Cam Ward circa '06? Just wishful thinking. I keep thinking at what point are the Canes gonna give this guy a solid shot? I thought it was gonna be this year but we went ahead and got Reimer last summer. Is Ned a career AHLer? 

The main thing for me is that it's BOTH goalies. If it were just one, hey, Ned needs a shot, and yes sometimes this leads to a Binnington story. But both goalies is pushing it unless one of our guys is back sooner than we think. I can't say if Ned is a career AHLer, but I do think he's done enough to get an NHL shot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I may be wrong but I expect Reimer to be back by Friday.

Well that would be just one game with both Ahl guys. I posted elsewhere, but if either injury is under 12 days, we are only looking at 3 games with two AHL goalies.

This does cool my jets a tough on a goalie trade. I really don't have a huge issue giving Ned a shot so long as we have one NHL goalie.

Just sign Ayers...  if the team plays as well in front of him as they did Saturday night, we’d win the president’s cup.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Quick question to the pro trade guys. I understand the whole "reward your play with a trade" idea, but wouldn't walking in the room and saying "Guys, you are a hell of a group and we have decided you dont need any help. Nobody we could bring in is better then the group we have here" show just as much faith in them?

This was exactly my point when I posted earlier, that this team just showed what kind of cohesiveness and desperation they can play with, down both goalies and another top 2 defenseman.

I say tell the guys they have it in them to win, call up what you need from the AHL and tell the guys to play for them like they did for Ayres.

Maybe get an NHL goalie or D man, but at a very reasonable price, just to have for insurance and the experience and"calming" effect it might have.

The Canes have waited long enough and worked too hard and accumulated picks and prospects for too long  now to mortgage it all away.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Maybe get an NHL goalie or D man, but at a very reasonable price, just to have for insurance and the experience and"calming" effect it might have.

NHL to CansFan2003: "I'm sorry, our very reasonable prices ended at the exact moment your team went down two goalies and a second top-pairing D man. Please call again in the offseason, before free agency begins, or just prior to camp, when very reasonable prices will be back in force."

• Like 1

All kidding aside, putting Ned and Forsberg in the crease should do wonders for tightening up (what's left of) our D, which had slipped into laxness more often lately than I liked anyway. And there's no time like crunch time to find out if McKeown is ready. If we didn't do it because he's a right-shot, stay-at-home guy who is built for exactly this type of situation, I will require a full report, in triplicate (on NHL form H32 stroke Z17), detailing WHY THE HELL we re-signed him to a one-year, two-way deal in the off-season--and for that matter, why we did the same with 27-year-old Fredrick Claesson, a guy with 150 NHL games under his belt.

BY 9 A.M., MISTER!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I may be wrong but I expect Reimer to be back by Friday.

He certainly seemed to be hobbling around in the locker room when the team greeted our Zamboni goalie afterwards, BUT Brindy did not seem so positive on his return. Thus I've got to doubt it slap even though I hope it's true. But is he good for this intensified long haul?

Considering Rod said he’d “be out for awhile,” this Friday doesn’t qualify for that level of time span.  I’d be shocked if we see either he or Petr back before 7 March.

17 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

This. I saw the same thing. I can’t say it wasn’t just instinct for self-protection, but the fact is he slammed Mrazek’s head with his forearm. And hats off to the classy Leafs crowd. I heard zero cheering for Petr as he hobbled off the ice and lots of booing-presumably because of the penalty, but still. They are an entitled bunch and as bad as losing two goalies is, the ultimate outcome of the game was worth its weight in gold. I’m sure Aryes will be quietly shown the door as emergency goalie, if not this year, then next.

One of the reasons I really, really like (love?) Joel Edmundson...he knew he was going to go out there and exact revenge the first chance the opportunity presented itself (especially after the penalty was reduced) and he did so matter-of-fact-ly, clapping afterwards...best penalty of the night.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

NHL to CansFan2003: "I'm sorry, our very reasonable prices ended at the exact moment your team went down two goalies and a second top-pairing D man. Please call again in the offseason, before free agency begins, or just prior to camp, when very reasonable prices will be back in force."

Thank you for pointing out why we should do absolutely nothing before the trade deadline hits in four hours. We’re going to need every one of the picks/prospects we currently have in hand to continue building this team towards the goal of competing with the likes of the Craps-Pens-Bees on a consistent basis.

7 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Thank you for pointing out why we should do absolutely nothing before the trade deadline hits in four hours. We’re going to need every one of the picks/prospects we currently have in hand to continue building this team towards the goal of competing with the likes of the Craps-Pens-Bees on a consistent basis.

Except we just did.

10 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Except we just did.

And it was done with that eye toward the future that the move was made.

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

Except we just did.

Hmmm...one guy in return for four guys. Sounds like a trade Rutherford would have made...I guess I’m not on the committee’s speed dial any more...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Hmmm...one guy in return for four guys. Sounds like a trade Rutherford would have made...I guess I’m not on the committee’s speed dial any more...

The other side's quote would be that the team that gets the best player wins the trade.

But in the 4 for 1 thing the actual 4 guys and the actual 1 guy matters a alot. As I posted elsewhere, 4 first graders don't make a 4th grader. 

Most prospects never make a dent in the NHL. Whereas Trochek has made a big dent. But it is a judgement, or in our case an opinion.

In my opinion we used some of our organizational depth to trade 3 guys in Wallmark, Eetu, and Priskie, who will likely never be more than NHL role players* and one guy in Haula who was out of here next year, playing soft as a raggedy Anne this year, and possibly a locker room cancer, for a legit 2C with 1C upside and two years left on his contract beyond this year. Of course, as always, only time will tell. 

I'm good with what we gave up because of what we didn't give up. We didn't give up any of our 4 first/seconds next year, or any of our more elite prospects, or any of our currently productive players.

*Priskie is, IMO, the potential prize in the package. But that is far from certain. He's about to turn 24 (March) and college grads that came on late in their college careers have an overall disappointing NHL track record (with clear exceptions). I would have liked to have seen him get some NHL ice, but on this team? He's already probably at best #3 for a call up, and we just traded for a higher upside guy in Keane. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, remkin said:

The other side's quote would be that the team that gets the best player wins the trade.

But in the 4 for 1 thing the actual 4 guys and the actual 1 guy matters a alot. As I posted elsewhere, 4 first graders don't make a 4th grader. 

Most prospects never make a dent in the NHL. Whereas Trochek has made a big dent. But it is a judgement, or in our case an opinion.

In my opinion we used some of our organizational depth to trade 3 guys in Wallmark, Eetu, and Priskie, who will likely never be more than NHL role players* and one guy in Haula who was out of here next year, playing soft as a raggedy Anne this year, and possibly a locker room cancer, for a legit 2C with 1C upside and two years left on his contract beyond this year. Of course, as always, only time will tell. 

I'm good with what we gave up because of what we didn't give up. We didn't give up any of our 4 first/seconds next year, or any of our more elite prospects, or any of our currently productive players.

*Priskie is, IMO, the potential prize in the package. But that is far from certain. He's about to turn 24 (March) and college grads that came on late in their college careers have an overall disappointing NHL track record (with clear exceptions). I would have liked to have seen him get some NHL ice, but on this team? He's already probably at best #3 for a call up, and we just traded for a higher upside guy in Keane. 

As always excellent analysis Rem...I’m with you in that the best that can said for this trade is that we didn’t give up picks AND we got a proven 2C who hopefully can fill a huge need for our club the next 2 years. The fact that Trocheck (by his own admission) has been underperforming this year is a source of concern but hopefully a change of scenery will ignite him...maybe he will enjoy playing in front of 18000 crazy Caniacs as opposed to playing in front of 500 snowbirds in Sunrise! 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thickburglar said:

I couldn't watch Saturday but I just read the whole GDT. What an insane turn of events. I plan to watch a full replay of the game. Lets go Canes

Oh, you definitely should!

2 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

As always excellent analysis Rem...I’m with you in that the best that can said for this trade is that we didn’t give up picks AND we got a proven 2C who hopefully can fill a huge need for our club the next 2 years. The fact that Trocheck (by his own admission) has been underperforming this year is a source of concern but hopefully a change of scenery will ignite him...maybe he will enjoy playing in front of 18000 crazy Caniacs as opposed to playing in front of 500 snowbirds in Sunrise! 😀

I think we're somehow in the wrong thread, but in any case i'm sure the Canes' ultra-intense sparkplug of a Captain will be able to light a fire under Trocheck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

Appreciate the response RickD. I guess part of my point is that even if the best Trocheck is behind him, he's an effective 2C, (and 1C in terms of his assists), and I really think that will be good for this team. Now if he finds his peak game? Then we crushed it.

3 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

Yup. Ridiculous overpayment. I hope there's another shoe to drop.