The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Canes trade Haula, Wallmark, Priskie, and Eetu the center to FLA for Center Trocheck

qT7Fmwg5_bigger.jpg

Replying to
Was with Scotty (VGK siren sounder) in LV. Had a table at Omnia next to the team after the game. One Cane mentioned to me that a player involved in today’s trade was a cancer...excited to see what we do w/o him and w/ Trocheck down the stretch.
10:26 AM · Feb 24, 2020 from Morrisville, NC·Tweetbot for iΟS

Take this for what you will

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

qT7Fmwg5_bigger.jpg

Replying to
Was with Scotty (VGK siren sounder) in LV. Had a table at Omnia next to the team after the game. One Cane mentioned to me that a player involved in today’s trade was a cancer...excited to see what we do w/o him and w/ Trocheck down the stretch.

My father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate said...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

My father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate said...

More accurate than a board member fro sure . LOL

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

qT7Fmwg5_bigger.jpg

Replying to

OK, I am very intrigued by the cancer thing. I'm assuming that it was one of our guys (ie not Trochek) since it was a Cane who mentioned it.

I've been thinking on this "cancer" thing for a couple of seasons. Back last year when Patrick O'Sullivan was on XM, he mentioned that most guys with so so reputations in the room were not bad enough to affect the team, but that there were a handful of guys who WERE bad enough to drag down the whole team. He specifically mentioned Hoffman. I've been watching teams Hoffman has been on and while he compiles sick stats, his teams seem to always underperform, ironically now including Florida. 

The cancer can't be Priskie or Eetu obviously and it is hard to think it was Wally. Given that there were public leaks of rumblings from Haula, I have to think it was him. This suggests to me, that the committee wanted to offload Haula as a move in and of itself. 

But I'll go further. If Haula was indeed a full on cancer, then removing him will lift the team. It is rare to be able to attribute some of the downs to one player, but a true cancer can do it. And now, with that guy gone, and a just as good or better 2C in there, it will make a big difference.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, remkin said:

But I'll go further. If Haula was indeed a full on cancer, then removing him will lift the team. It is rare to be able to attribute some of the downs to one player, but a true cancer can do it. And now, with that guy gone, and a just as good or better 2C in there, it will make a big difference.

Spot on IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Definitely drives the rumor we heard in the media a month ago that he hated it in Raleigh and wanted out.

Further, Florida now has TWO cancers. They are trying to offload Hoffman, but if they don't, it would suggest that they will have a hard time having a good room and guys playing for each other. This doesn't sadden me that much except that we still have Toronto's first rounder and I'd rather have Florida push them out of the playoffs for a better pick for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Definitely drives the rumor we heard in the media a month ago that he hated it in Raleigh and wanted out.

if thats true  then all i have to say to Haula is image.jpeg.1445fa8fb8ce8217789535c21d0bbfea.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, donwalrus said:

just watching some Trochek highlights...he's got speed and a good net presence...hopefully gives us that 2C/3C we've all been talking about/wishing for on here for weeks ;)

Weeks, years, one or the other...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Exactly. One of the things that drives this team is the room and the attitude that Willy and Roddy built. If Haula has been dragging that down, this will help. I know that Haula just went through a horrendous personal loss, but that can't be helping if he's already a cancer either. All of this could also explain his Skinner-like level of board battle compete. The weakness of his overall compete level ON the ice has been evident too. 

I really liked this guy on the ice at the start. But now I do really think we offloaded a guy that had no future here and got one who does.

• Like 2

Just now, sleekfeeder said:

Wise man say.....One cancer does not cancel the other cancer....

Yeah, never heard anyone suggest that the best treatment for cancer is more cancer.

33 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

qT7Fmwg5_bigger.jpg

Replying to

If true, gotta be Haula, no?  On the one hand I hate to give rumors a lot of credence since that leads many to start to treat them like facts.  On the other, I've had a funny feeling about Haula for awhile.  At the start of camp Rod talked about some players coming in not ready, and it's hard to believe that it would be any or the returning guys given what they know about Rod. So that makes it likely Haula, Dzingel, Gardiner, or Eddie.  Then, in an interview where Maniscalco was trying to lead Haula into praising how close the Canes team was (I hate reporters pushing players to articulate the reporters opinion), Haula said something along the lines of "sure, but Carolina isn't the only team that is close" (paraphrasing).  A very lukewarm response that, even if true runs counter to the positivity most players at least try to project in a new environment.   

Hate, hate, hate that Priske was the RD prospect in the deal.  The kid chose us, gotta believe that by not even giving him a chance we just eliminated almost any possibility of acquiring that type of free agent in the future.

On the one hand Trocheck sounds like the type of C who could greatly help us.  On the other, not only do his stats suggest that he hasn't come back to his 2017-18 form, they suggest that he was well below that even before he got hurt in 2018-19?  (obviously, stats alone don't tell a complete story)   

Edited by LakeLivin

Here is my take , If you are a player   for the Carolina Hurricanes   , you dont have to like the city or the state or the fans or storm surge ,   But if you can't get along with  the team you are with   and  like the coach ?   THEN GET THE STEPPIN !

On the rumor thing. In my experience the idea that a guy might be a cancer will always be a rumor. At best an opinion. Guys just so rarely publicly trash another guys' reputation. That was one of the refreshing (and occasionally annoying) things about Patrick O Sullivan on XM. He gave his opinion unfiltered including things that most guys would not say. (POS was referring to Hoffman not Haula). 

But if a guy is a true cancer, then smart organizations will say "no" to that guy. (Does make one wonder if we got the full scoop when we traded for Haula). Florida already showed itself to be not that smart by running to take on Hoffman, who is putting up big numbers even as they now try to move him. Let's just say I wouldn't rush to put a lot of money down on Florida outperforming it's expectations any time soon. But who already has? Our guys!

Looks like a really solid two-way playing 2C. Mostly hate to see Wally go since we actually believed in him. But it strikes me as better to do this trade the way we did it rather than with picks. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, remkin said:

I am now endorsing a "super" like button. 

How about a thumb down button? Or are we too concerned about a posters feelings?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winger52 said:

How about a thumb down button? Or are we too concerned about a posters feelings?

My feelings get hurt easily ;)

1 minute ago, winger52 said:

We don't want to enable cancers in our room! Just kidding. One can always quote and respond negatively. But yes, we like a more positive feel. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Commodore has us linked to Lehner.

So it won't happen. He's been full wrong today.

Yah, here comes a massive overpayment if true...

Now that Shesterkin is out for the Rags due to a car wreck last night, the market for goalies is all but gone 

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

We don't want to enable cancers in our room! Just kidding. One can always quote and respond negatively. But yes, we like a more positive feel. 

So I need to set aside a box of cookies for each game? Or cupcakes?

Edited by winger52

A little late to this conversation, but now we can deploy a true top 6!  I know I'm about to take a beating, but I would start with:

Svech / Aho / Necas

Turbo / Trocheck / Nino

Foegele / Staal / Williams

McGinn / Martinook / Dzingle