The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Canes trade Haula, Wallmark, Priskie, and Eetu the center to FLA for Center Trocheck

15 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Florida fans hated Reimer too, their opinion is kinda moot at the moment.

All of our opinions are pretty much moot at the moment, lol.  I'm just tempering my expectations that we'll necessarily be getting the 2017-18 Trocheck that scored 31G and 75P given that he apparently hasn't sniffed that level of play since then.  But it is nice to know that he's at least capable of that level of production, and a change of scenery CAN work wonders.  Also, gotta believe that The Committee did extensive homework and they obviously believe that Trocheck stands a good chance of being a very positive contributor given what they gave up for him.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

All of our opinions are pretty much moot at the moment, lol.  I'm just tempering my expectations that we'll necessarily be getting the 2017-18 Trocheck that scored 31G and 75P given that he apparently hasn't sniffed that level of play since then.  But it is nice to know that he's at least capable of that level of production, and a change of scenery CAN work wonders.  Also, gotta believe that The Committee did extensive homework and that they obviously believe that Trocheck stands a good chance of being a very positive contributor given what they gave up for him.

XM peeps are thinking we got the immediate better end of this deal

So we get a right shot center who fits our system We lose a player that by accounts wasn't happy here. Fair enough but adding Walmark and two prospects seems like a lot to give up. Now our most pressing need seems to be D and no move there followed by goalie and nothing there so far.

The clock is ticking in the board room. We need a committee decision

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

I’m sure they’re burning the phone lines...problem is that 30 other GMs know of our glaring needs and are probably asking for the moon.

Just now, realmdrakkar said:

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Hey, no ambiguous Rush lyrics on these threads...

• Like 2

I readily admit that I have NOT watched Trocheck play. I will gladly defer to anyone on this board who has, with the caveat that I'm sure our pro scouts have, and in general, the committee has used advanced analytics to make these decisions. There is no doubt that Trochek has fallen off of his high. His high though was 1C. This can also explain Florida fan's consternation. Imagine if Aho fell off of his 1C production. It would be very hard for us to accept him as our 2C. Perhaps a better example. Imagine if Jordan Staal fell from decent 2C two way game to a near 4C. How would we feel? 

As the numbers below bear out. Even in his post injury, no longer 1C state, Trochuk is a very legit 2C. And THAT is what we needed. 

One last thing before the numbers. Yes we gave up a lot of quantity. But it was more quantity than serious, elite, high end quality. That package wouldn't even begin to scratch the surface of what would be needed to land a legit 1C, which are the very apple of the eye that every GM want's more than anything. Haula has the only proven high end potential, but with his knee and supposed issues in the room? But what we know for sure is that the Haula we've been seeing now and that is an ineffective, soft player. So even if Trocheck isn't as good as he used to be, he's better than Haula has been since he came back. 

Personally, I think that Eetu and Wallmark will never be even near elite players. Priskie does have a shot at it, but as I mentioned elsewhere he's almost 23, and he came on late in his college career (unlike Fox). This does not mean he won't be very good, but it lessens the upside some. Keane on the other hand (our new D prospect) was an AHL All Star D man at 20. 

What we did NOT give up: Either first rounder next year. Either second rounder next year. Our top next to call up prospects: Bean, Ned, Geekie. Any of our high end potential elite prospects such as Suzuki, Rees, Drury, Kotch, Bokk, Puistola, Honka, Keane, etc. Any highly effective current players. 

I will go into the numbers next, but even if Tochek never gets back to his glory. He is a more effective 2C right now than anyone we've had there since our coach was playing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

I’m sure they’re burning the phone lines...problem is that 30 other GMs know of our glaring needs and are probably asking for the moon.

True

10 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Hmmm an hour and a half to go and still no NHL goalie....is Lehner worth a few draft picks? I say NO!

Until we watch Ned and Forsling get lit up.  Then you and others will start crying like little girls as to why we didn't grab a goalie.

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Until we watch Ned and Forsling get lit up.  Then you and others will start crying like little girls as to why we didn't grab a goalie.

You really think we are gonna pony up one or both firsts and God knows what else for a $5M goalie that didn’t want to come here last off-season and will absolutely bail on us this offseason cause we won’t pay him what he wants?

Just now, bluedevil58 said:

I think one 1st should do the trick.

Give up a first in arguably the deepest draft of the past 15 years for a guy who bails in four months?  No way

Sounds like a 1st round pick in discussions for Skjei. However, cap issues for the Hurricanes are complicating things. - Darren Dreger

Just now, AWACSooner said:

Give up a first in arguably the deepest draft of the past 15 years for a guy who bails in four months?  No way

Making the playoffs means more revenue to spend in the off season.  A 1st round pick doesn't gaurunutee an NHL player.  IE.  Gauthier, Boychuk,  etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

How about a thumb down button? Or are we too concerned about a posters feelings?

Try reddit.

My first post ever was there and I went into negative karma all over a very innocent comment.

Making the playoffs means more revenue to spend in the off season.  A 1st round pick doesn't gaurunutee an NHL player.  IE.  Gauthier, Boychuk,  etc.

Yah, but look at most of our firsts since ‘14...

Just now, AWACSooner said:

That may well be the case. :crossfingers: And I'm not criticizing the deal. I just don't see a bit as being a 100% sure thing given Trocheck's play following his injury.  When we got Nino I think I was expecting him to play at his previous peak levels, which he hadn't done for awhile.  He did have a nice initial spike, but ultimately settled more into what I suspect the Wild thought they were giving up.  I'm trying not to make the same mistake with Trocheck, i.e. subconsciously assuming we'll end up with him playing at his previous best.  But he is only 26yo, and perhaps still not 100% back from his injury (be it physical or psychological?).  And we're rid of Haula, so there's that.  

• Like 1

Hanafin, Gauthier, Fleury....

Meh.  So far. 

Find me any NHL team who’s nailed all their firsts 

:popcorn:

17 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Boomer and Hahn were the ones.  They were slobbering all over Carolina on the deal.

The only problem I have with that is when Boomer gets negative on the Canes, the team does well.  First time in 10 years last year he put the Canes out of the playoffs... so they got in the playoffs.  :)

• Like 1