The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Canes trade Haula, Wallmark, Priskie, and Eetu the center to FLA for Center Trocheck

19 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Rem- I see where you're coming from, but those are all numbers in a vacuum.  Panthers have a bunch of good goal scorers on their team (Barkov, Huberdeau, Hoffman, Dadanov all over 20 goals, Acciari 19, Connolly 18). I read that Q even played Trocheck with Barkov and Huberdeau for a while to try to kickstart his scoring.  We have what I'd call 2 scorers, Aho and Svech (Haula started out but disappeared and Dougie blew a tire). It will be interesting to see how Trocheck's assist totals translate from Florida to Carolina given who he's likely to be playing with.  

Hope I'm not coming across as trying to make a case against Trocheck.  In actuality I'm just trying to make sense of a number of different factors in anticipation of what to expect.  Heck, maybe some of those Florida forwards score a lot because they've got Trocheck setting them up.  Maybe Nino, Dzingel, or Necas will explode, lol.      

True. They are the numbers though. I can't personally really dig too deep because I haven't been following them. 

But he's #57 in the league in assists for forwards (and fewer games than most), and was at about that same pace last year. So that's two years in a row with first line assists. I have to think he's doing some of that. At the very least he's not out of place whipping the puck around. Then there was the year before that, where he was #36 in assists and #30 in points. 

Also, while we love our SAT line, Trochek might also give us the opportunity to break it up occasionally, letting him feed say Svechnikov. 

But as to how good he can be, or his true worth, I have to rely on our scouts for that along with our advanced stat company who watches for the exact point you're referring to. They watch every play and assign importance of each aspect to that play. So if Trocheck is just passing to guys who then put on the moves and hit the top corner, they would pick that up. 

Last thing I wonder about is this. Based on what I've heard today, the naysayers say that he is not the same player since his ankle injury. But they also talk about his speed. I wonder if he might not still be capable of even higher numbers than the last two years. But even if not, that would be a pretty good 2C. 

As to what we gave up in this deal vs what we got.

We got:

The best player. Solid NHL 2C with 1C upside. It is hard to find any 2C available. It is near impossible to find a 1C. 

We gave up:

Wallmark: 3C at best. We already have Stone Hands, and guys that can come up. 

Haula: 4C at the moment. Not staying past this year. True goal scoring at the net upside, but also slow and soft on the boards. And pathetic the last 20G and maybe a cancer.

Eetu: B prospect at best. Probably not see many NHL games.

Priskie: A very nice player. IMO he's the catch of this deal for Florida. BUT as I've mentioned he is almost 24 and a late college bloomer. Very possible he never hits.

I don't know Trochek, and there is clearly some concern about him. But at least on paper he is a really big pickup. Probably bigger than either D man we got.

• Like 4

It seems like Trocheck may be a better fit for our style than Haula and he has term. He has a clean slate with us. What he did in FL doesn’t matter imo. Look how Nino worked out. Sometimes a new team/system can jump start a guy. Only time will tell but I’m glad the committee made a hockey trade instead of a rental in this case. 

• Like 2

One more stat. Over the past 3 years, all NHL forwards, Trochek is #60 in assists. Just as a rough comparison, there are in theory, 96 first liners. 

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

*edit* guys.  Can you imagine being a checkers fan right now?  Wondering where your team has gone.

Uh, yeah. When it's all said and done, I really like what Canes did today, but as someone who lives in Charlotte and goes to most of their games, they really got decimated in the last 24 hours and will miss watching the guys moved.

Gotta like it. Cant say TD  stands pat and accepts the fate ahead like Karmanos. Did the best we could with the existing cap. Hats off to the committee for being so bold.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Well, no one can accuse Vinny of being Martinook-like in his enthusiasm from that recording, unless he's just gotten out of bed? Also a little disconcerting that he doesn't seem to know anyone on our team except an injured Hamilton? That's got to change fast because the brutal part of our schedule is on the horizon.

34 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well, no one can accuse Vinny of being Martinook-like in his enthusiasm from that recording

Yeah but as long as he can match the speed of Necas and get him the puck I will leave the rah-rah stuff to the Carolina Storm Squad. It sounds like Trocheck was a little blindsided by the trade and is probable trying to digest it.

Heck this trade blindsided me. I knew we had been looking for a top 6 and the need for a right shot center. I thought all that went out the window with the injuries. We gave up a lot to get him and if we hadn't addressed the D need I wouldn't be as understanding of this move. Having addressed the D makes this seem like a good risk reward move. I applaud  our committee for going all in.

• Like 2

Could be adding an element Canes have been missing.  I'd love to know some of the opponents he's gotten under the skin of.  Hopefully it includes the likes of Ovi and Marchand.

https://www.canescountry.com/2020/2/24/21150730/carolina-hurricanes-nhl-trade-deadline-vincent-trocheck-florida-panthers-erik-haula-lucas-wallmark

On a conference call with reporters, Trocheck said he feels his injury woes are behind him, including the fractured ankle that cost him more than 30 games two seasons ago. “For the last month or so, I’ve felt back to my normal self, playing with speed and being able to do the things I used to be able to do,” he said. “At this point feel like I’m 100%.”

He also has embraced a role he wasn’t sure was cut out for him: that of a skilled pest, a role that prompted Jake Gardiner to say that “no one likes to play against (him).” When asked of his propensity to annoy the opposition, Trocheck said it was something he had to learn to accept. “Earlier in my career (...) I was a pest without really thinking about it. At this point it’s just become who I am as a player and I kind of have to embrace it. There’s been several players that haven’t enjoyed playing against me in the past and I think that’s a good thing.”

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Florida originally Necas. 

If you meant to say Florida originally wanted Necas, I'd bet Waddell's response was: :rofl:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

If you meant to say Florida originally wanted Necas, I'd bet Waddell's response was: :rofl:

that is what I meant.  i take giving up Haula and Wallmark over giving up Necas 10 times out of 10.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Iron Lion said:

Uh, yeah. When it's all said and done, I really like what Canes did today, but as someone who lives in Charlotte and goes to most of their games, they really got decimated in the last 24 hours and will miss watching the guys moved.

True, and most of us feel ya on that. Then again, the WHOLE reason for having and keeping a strong undercard is for the situations we're in now with the injuries and under performance of players we were able to offload, and to have guys at the ready as viable trade add ons. AHL hockey is gonna be what it is, and it has been real entertaining and competitive here for a while, but it has a higher function, and our COMMITTEE has never used that function to better advantage than they have here

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Gotta like it. Cant say TD  stands pat and accepts the fate ahead like Karmanos. Did the best we could with the existing cap. Hats off to the committee for being so bold.

TD does not have the patience that PK had.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Florida originally wanted Necas. 

That is really my point. A see a lot of people from various media outlets and some self proclaimed experts just say, well 4 players is better than one. They have no idea about the players involved. Like they key in on our 4th line center, or know much about our prospects. If we'd have given up Necas for  Trochek I'd be apoplectic. That would be insanely stupid. If it came down to a pile of players or Necas, I'd have kept piling on the players. You want a couple more B and C prospects? A 5th round pick? Fine. I would trade the bottom 2/3 of the entire Checkers team before I'd trade Necas.

• Like 2

Glad they didn’t give Necas, after some early doubt, I’ve come to like watching that guy play.

the one I will miss is that Listerine guy, I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes back to our building in 3-4 years time as the leading scorer of Buffalo, or something.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MisterDobz said:

Glad they didn’t give Necas, after some early doubt, I’ve come to like watching that guy play.

the one I will miss is that Listerine guy, I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes back to our building in 3-4 years time as the leading scorer of Buffalo, or something.

Yah, I thought Eetu had some serious potential during his limited time in Raleigh.  Guess the committee thought Vinny had more ;)

• Like 1

Necas is our future 2C and one of our core going forward.  He was about as untouchable as Svech.  He already has the speed to be dangerous and has really come around on his defensive responsibilities.  If he can put on about 10-15 more pounds of strength to be able to stay on his skates when hit, he'll become a force of nature.

• Like 2

Everyone is missing one huge point.  With Haula gone, who tonight is going to tell Ned before the game just to have fun and that they don't care if he lets in 10 goals? :P

• Like 4

I wonder if the Canes might have consulted with Priske before making him a part of this deal?  I'm sure that would be highly unusual.  But they moved the kid less than a year after he choose Carolina, and by all accounts seemed to be developing nicely. They knew the Panthers play in his hometown backyard.  And it seems like we have a number of similar prospects that might have satisfied Fla instead (Kaski, Keane-, maybe even McKeown+).  

Unlikely, but if so, that would have been a classy move on the part of the Canes imo. 

22 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

*edit* guys.  Can you imagine being a checkers fan right now?  Wondering where your team has gone.

Well if you are a Chex fan or a fan of any minor league club you should know your teams first responsibility is to developer players for the big league club before winning, winning come second