The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Canes trade Haula, Wallmark, Priskie, and Eetu the center to FLA for Center Trocheck

I thought Trocheck demonstrated some flashy stick handling stuff last night, and had some good chances. Looked decent and I think he will be a good fit once he gets comfortable. But what do I know he may resent the trade and request to be traded in the off season.

4 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

I thought Trocheck demonstrated some flashy stick handling stuff last night, and had some good chances. Looked decent and I think he will be a good fit once he gets comfortable. But what do I know he may resent the trade and request to be traded in the off season.

I've been reading the there might have been friction between Quenneville and Trocheck, and that once you're in Q's dog house it's really difficult to get out.  So it could well be that Trocheck is happy to be in a new place.

• Like 3

If we have any playoff hopes, Trocheck needs to pull a Nino and start lighting up the scoreboard after his change of scenery. His history says he could do it. Heck, maybe Nino has saved the best for last. It seems like he is waking up a little.,one thing that struck me about Trocheck from the cheap seats Tuesday night is he looks to be on the small side. I guess his strength is speed not size.

I thought he was absolutely FLYING out there. I watched some high lights of the guy and most of his goals came down low - rebounds, dirty goals. I think he could serve us well. 

Skjei has looked good other than the gaffe on his first shift but you have to expect stuff like that. I think he’ll be here long-term.

Trocheck has looked like trash. Giveaway after giveaway. Doesn’t seem to want to engage/shying away from contact. Not finding scoring areas. Not making individual plays. Looks nothing like the player he used to be, hopefully he turns things around. We need it.

This was, mabye, trading a guy for something when he wasn't coming back, but I hate that Wallmark had to go. I think this has upset the chemistry at a time when there might not be enough time to get it back. Mabye Trocheck will fit long term, but he looks like a square peg in a round hole so far.

16 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

This was, mabye, trading a guy for something when he wasn't coming back, but I hate that Wallmark had to go. I think this has upset the chemistry at a time when there might not be enough time to get it back. Mabye Trocheck will fit long term, but he looks like a square peg in a round hole so far.

As good as Wallmark was, and I also miss him caniac6, but Trocheck can slot in at the #2C and not look out of place. Thats not something that Wally could accomplish. In addition, Trocheck is FAST, and wins his share of face-offs. Of course there's going to be a span where complementary wingers will need to be fitted in with his attributes, but recall how vocal things have gotten regarding "Staal is not a 2C", and realize that with Trocheck in, Staal can be pushed down to where he appears better fitted, and also I'd argue that as utilitarian as Wallmark is, he'd never be equipped to fit there as a 2C long term? Unfortunately, Trocheck's fit looks like it will take time, which is a luxury we do not have now due to lateness in the season and limited practice time to work that sort of thing out.

As far as the "chemistry" that's upset, I'd lay that more on having both our starting goalies out in addition to 2 of our top 4 defensemen, rather than Wallmark.

13 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Skjei has looked good other than the gaffe on his first shift but you have to expect stuff like that. I think he’ll be here long-term.

Trocheck has looked like trash. Giveaway after giveaway. Doesn’t seem to want to engage/shying away from contact. Not finding scoring areas. Not making individual plays. Looks nothing like the player he used to be, hopefully he turns things around. We need it.

I haven't seen him play so no opinion from me.  But those were the criticisms coming from a lot of the Panther fans on another board.  Hopefully he starts to click. 

Clearly this trade only makes sense if Trochek can get to another level. Tripp claimed he was close. It can be tough to adjust to a trade and fit in. IMO it is way too early to judge this trade, but it was the one that makes the most sense long term. That is, of course if Trochek can at least get to that 2C level with us. Too soon to write him off though. 

I like Haula and Wallmark but man that goal that Trochek scored in OT against the Islanders than won the deal there for the team.

4 hours ago, JDJERK83 said:

I like Haula and Wallmark but man that goal that Trochek scored in OT against the Islanders than won the deal there for the team.

Too early.  Before Huala went down he was a beast crashing the net and getting garbage goals.  But he did fizzle out.

11 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Too early.  Before Huala went down he was a beast crashing the net and getting garbage goals.  But he did fizzle out.

It's a new age coming about after this pernicious disease. What is going to be interesting will be how effectively the team con get on the same page?

Trocheck brings up an interesting point about this playoff run, and next year too. It's easy to focus on Aho, TT, Svechnikov, Slavin, Hamilton, even Necas, heck even the news flash Geekie, and for good reason. 

But there is some hidden potential hiding in plain sight for this team if a couple of guys can rediscover their touch. To me the two most obvious are Nino and Trochek, and especially Trochek. Trochek put up 75 points and 31 goals in one season in the actual NHL. That is the upside. But even if one tosses that season as an outlier, he has been as consistent as a sunrise at putting up almost exactly 53 points or that pace basically every season after his sophomore year. But adjusting to this team he had only put up a 23 point pace. Admittedly tiny sample size of 7 games, but the point is that this team has not yet had 54 point Trochek, let alone what he's capable of if he finds the groove.

Nino...has never produced to the peak of Trocheck, but he was on a 69 point pace during that magical year last year. If ever there were a guy who could massively benefit from a nice playoff run, it would be Nino, who's production halved this year, taking some of the shine off of the steal we thought he was. But Nino has posted a 57 point year and is capable of 50-55 points type production also. 

High end second line center production is 53 points and high end second line winer is around 44 points. So if Nino and Trocheck can just hit normal for Trocheck and upper end but not peak for Nino, that gives us two high end second line forwards to go with Svechnikov, Aho, Teuravanen, and Necas. So statistically, if those guys hit Trocheck 50 point range (.61 ppg), and Nino hit .53 ppg, Necas was at .56 this, his rookie year, that is a stellar second line, and really an imposing top 6. 

But then J Williams was on a 45 point pace, also second line, high end. 

Even Foegele upped his production massively from his rookie year and was putting up .44 ppg, which is actually mid range for second line wingers. 

So, while we currently lack the uber high end marque names up front, the potential is there for 8 guys who could be legitimately considered top 6. Then there's Jordan Staal. OK, not a good year for him BUT, if Trochek is the real #2, Staal's points are decent for a third line center and he plays tight D. Then there's Dzingel who has been a bit of a disappointment, but has still put up third line numbers despite being largely relegated to the 4th line (33 point pace is high end third line). 

That gives us 10 legit top 9 players too. Then there's Geekie, Martinook, and McGinn, all of whom are at least low 3rd liners on some teams. 

Our forward depth as it stands is pretty impressive. But, if, as the start of this post discussed, Nino and especially Trochek, find their touch? This group of forwards can match up with anyone. And that's before we talk about our depth at D.

And our Top 3 have legit top line numbers. Aho's 80 point pace puts him above average for 1C, TT's 76 point pace is high end winger as is Svech's 73 point pace.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

It's a new age coming about after this pernicious disease. What is going to be interesting will be how effectively the team con get on the same page?

Absolutely. I have huge confidence that this team could go deep so long as our goalies don't suck. I just laid out how deep we are (and could be even more if a few guys step up) at forward, and we all know how deep we are at D. 

Obviously it's going to be key for a team to get out of the gate fast and find the right recipe for winning in this format. This is all the more important given our historical fail at beating the Rangers. Maybe we have an advantage that we get so long to prep for one team. Maybe Brindy can figure out the key to unlock that Ranger puzzle. 

I think that if this team gets past the Rangers, we could really roll. 

25 minutes ago, Hockey Maven said:

Trocheck produced nothing against the Bruins....trade was a dud

that isnt true. 

A. the only thing more than a 'meh' in that trade is Priskie.  

2. If we could actually give Trocheck a LW that will score (nino is garbage) then he would be better.  

3. everyone was a dud against Boston except Fleury.  No one else wanted to be there.  

I think it is too early to declare Trochek a Dud. He made some notably plays when  others were not, even though, true, he didn't finish them. Nino shows that taking other's cast offs can be a mixed bag, but I agree with gocanes that we didn't give much up and Trochek has been a mega consistent 50 point guy with 70 point upside. That's way better than J Staal. I want to see a full season of Trochek. 

I don't really need to see too much more Nino. We still won that trade, but now it's time to try to win another one involving Nino. He seems to do well with a change of scenery, maybe we can sell that.

• Like 1