The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sleekfeeder

Canes trade Claesson, Janne Kuokkanen and a conditional 4th (can move up to a third, pending Vatanen games played) to NJ for D Vatanen @ 50% retained

If we make the playoffs and Hamilton/Vatanen are healthy how sweet is that lineup? I would expect our production to be sky high. 

Hamilton-Slavin

Skjei-Vatanen?

Gardiner-Ed/TVR/Fleury?

Not sure Pesce will make it back this year. But if he does, wow! Will be hard to keep the puck out of our own net without him. 

46 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

If we make the playoffs and Hamilton/Vatanen are healthy how sweet is that lineup? I would expect our production to be sky high. 

Hamilton-Slavin

Skjei-Vatanen?

Gardiner-Ed/TVR/Fleury?

Not sure Pesce will make it back this year. But if he does, wow! Will be hard to keep the puck out of our own net without him. 

I'd be really surprised to see Dougie back this season.  He'd need to have his leg completely healed (with a decent margin of safety) and have time to get back into game shape. Not quite gob-smacked, but really surprised. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:09 AM, cane-addict-1 said:

88183325_10222227142251234_8606697888010993664_n.jpg

Skjei-Vatanen will be a exciting line to watch specially for next year. So glad that Hamilton will be back. Been missing him.

1 hour ago, JDJERK83 said:

Skjei-Vatanen will be a exciting line to watch specially for next year. So glad that Hamilton will be back. Been missing him.

I doubt Vatanen stays. He’d be fairly expensive. 

I'd agree that Vatanen is unlikely to even touch the ice as a Cane this year, unless we get into play-offs, and even then maybe for depth, but next year it's hard to see how he fits. 

But I do think that Skjei is a whole different story. I think our brass really like him and only gave up a first rounder because they see him in the long term picture. 

It's my personal belief that at least a chunk of the committee is ready to move on from Gardiner in the offseason. But they could move Fleury instead or try to go blockbuster for a forward with a different D man. I'd move Gardiner for cap reasons if nothing else. The D will be formidable. The question in my mind is the last slot assuming Gardiner is moved. Slavin-Hamilton/Skjei-Pesce/Fleury-???? is what makes the most sense to me. But unless we think Joey Keane is going to jump right in, or we make an offseason pickup of yet another D man (seems to be the committee's modus operandi), we'd have to put a guy on his off side.  

I'll make a, well not a prediction, but sort of an off kilter pre-wish-tion. I think, if the price is right, we'd like and could do worse than, to keep Joel Edmundson. If we can get him for the right price and with no, or a limited NTC. Yes, he's slow. But he's big, and hits, and gives us some physical, and he's steady defensively. His plus 7 was solid. He's a good team guy, and a guy I'm pretty sure other guys like having on the ice. The problem is that he's a lefty and he's a ufa and he's blocking Bean at some point, which is why we'd need to be able to trade him. So it's not a good bet. BUT, if we had the option to trade him down the line, then next year put Fleury on his off side with Edmundson and work Bean in with injuries. If Bean and Fleury develop as hoped, then trade Edmundson the following year, OR make a big move with Skjei. In fact I'd overpay Edmundson a bit if we could trade him. That and he'd really have to want to stay since he's a UFA.

Anyways, all of those options see Vantanen and (IMO) Gardiner, moved on. The Gardiner thing is not a lock, but just seems to make sense after we picked up Skjei. In my view, the only way I'd keep him is if someone gave me a young, signed, top 6 forward for Fleury. If not, I expect us to sign Fleury for a team friendly deal. We might try to slide Gardiner into the #6 slot, and that would not be terrible, but we'd have a very expensive #6 D man.