The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Canes trade 1st round pick (lower of the two) to NYR for Defender D Skjei

I think people may be underestimating Skjei a bit. He makes good money for a reason. This is a guy who can play in your top 4. He can skate, he’s not some big pylon. 

He’s a Cane now so I’m a fan, if he does improve/develop more, he is going to be very valuable for us.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You do realize it's not like we're in a position to call the tune at the moment, right? We need these deals more than the teams we're making them with need to do them.

I get what you were saying .   The thing is though  I was hoping   the Canes could use    "  the 2 1st round picks "   to move up in the draft this year to possible  grab Askarov   but now  it seems  like that's  not going to happen .   

OK I gotta run. I really can't process the totality of the D moves in terms of picking up two guys. 

I can tell you that it only makes sense for us to pick up Skjei for a first rounder if he is viewed as a long term keeper. If so, that could be a very solid move, as others have mentioned IF we move Gardiner in the offseason, otherwise we have way too much $$ tied up on D and no room for Bean. 

I guess Skjei could be a next year replacement for Edmundson, if Skjei has thump and grit, that would be a very nice upgrade. 

But then why Vatanen? That's the part I'm trying to process. I guess we have some sort of out to reclaim our second rounder if he doesn't work out, so it would just be Kuok then the price is not that high.

Man Charlotte is losing some bodies. 

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I get what you were saying .   The thing is though  I was hoping   the Canes could use    "  the 2 1st round picks "   to move up in the draft this year to possible  grab Askarov   but now  it seems  like that's  not going to happen .   

I hear you, but Ron Francis doesn't work here anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, remkin said:

OK I gotta run. I really can't process the totality of the D moves in terms of picking up two guys. 

I can tell you that it only makes sense for us to pick up Skjei for a first rounder if he is viewed as a long term keeper. If so, that could be a very solid move, as others have mentioned IF we move Gardiner in the offseason, otherwise we have way too much $$ tied up on D and no room for Bean. 

I guess Skjei could be a next year replacement for Edmundson, if Skjei has thump and grit, that would be a very nice upgrade. 

But then why Vatanen? That's the part I'm trying to process. I guess we have some sort of out to reclaim our second rounder if he doesn't work out, so it would just be Kuok then the price is not that high.

They are getting their  coffers  filled with Puistola  ,  Honka , Possibly Fensore ,  Killenen ,  and um  think maybe   Rees next year ?

23 hours ago, remkin said:

Expansion's a little over a year away. If we're going to make deals for guys with term remaining, now's the time, although the events of Saturday maybe forced us into it a little sooner than we might have wanted. 

This much seems clear: We have zero faith that any of our CLT D are ready. And I think that's what Vatanen's about. From what I'm seeing he basically has a contusion and was put on IR to make space for Merkley, who was part of the Devs return for Taylor Hall.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

A should be AHLER  .  He needs more room to develop. 

As I was trying to catch up on this last minute frenzy, I run across this. Cff, I just don't get this statement? Reading thru your innumerable posts, and trying my best to cipher them, I must say you seem to have a very wide array of knowledge, commenting on the European leagues, the minors, college kids and the like. And just when I convince myself to thoroughly read your challenging at times posts, you make this statement. Was it in the heat of the moment and you just didn't want to give up a 1st or what? As commented elsewhere, this is a player who makes $5+ mil and has what 4 more years on his contract? Now the Rangers have $$$ to burn, and it appears there's some negativity linked to Skjei, but really, "a would be AHLER"? I hope our committee is not that naive, and truly think this is a budding top 4 defenseman.

Well now. Left the party early. This move caught me by surprise but pleasantly surprised we went all in. Sitting still would of thrown  this season away.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Vatanen is on IR as far as I understood

Thanks I just noted that in the other thread....was hoping he could slot right in and give us those steady 20 minutes that Pesce man was providing...

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

As I was trying to catch up on this last minute frenzy, I run across this. Cff, I just don't get this statement? Reading thru your innumerable posts, and trying my best to cipher them, I must say you seem to have a very wide array of knowledge, commenting on the European leagues, the minors, college kids and the like. And just when I convince myself to thoroughly read your challenging at times posts, you make this statement. Was it in the heat of the moment and you just didn't want to give up a 1st or what? As commented elsewhere, this is a player who makes $5+ mil and has what 4 more years on his contract? Now the Rangers have $$$ to burn, and it appears there's some negativity linked to Skjei, but really, "a would be AHLER"? I hope our committee is not that naive, and truly think this is a budding top 4 defenseman.

I would of given   a 2nd round pick  and a 3rd   and next years  3rd  at best  .    but thats  just my opinion .   Rangers fans    would seem to know the player better than both of us   and what they were saying is he was having problems with his coach .   Now   if that so happens to be true  then  ask yourself   ,  Why would they trade the guy if   they felt so strongly  about him  ,  there is lots of teams around the league that pay more to a player than they are really worth .    Go on to twitter and see the  Rangers response to this deal , they are  90 %  celebrating   saying we got fleeced .  

7 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I would of given   a 2nd round pick  and a 3rd   and next years  3rd  at best  .    but thats  just my opinion .   Rangers fans    would seem to know the player better than both of us   and what they were saying is he was having problems with his coach .   Now   if that so happens to be true  then  ask yourself   ,  Why would they trade the guy if   they felt so strongly  about him  ,  there is lots of teams around the league that pay more to a player than they are really worth .    Go on to twitter and see the  Rangers response to this deal , they are  90 %  celebrating   saying we got fleeced .  

New Yorkers say a lot of things, trust me, I heard my fill this last game.

I may be totally wrong on this (memory not what it used to be) but it sure seems like Skjei was a thorn in our side all the times we have played them the last couple of years. May have been a prominent factor in our desire to snag him...

2 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

I may be totally wrong on this (memory not what it used to be) but it sure seems like Skjei was a thorn in our side all the times we have played them the last couple of years. May have been a prominent factor in our desire to snag him...

I hope so .   Maybe a new landscape and   playing Brindys  system  might elevate that pick worth  a 1st round .

15 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Go on to twitter and see the  Rangers response to this deal , they are  90 %  celebrating   saying we got fleeced .  

Given how they’ve owned us on the ice recently I can appreciate your concern that they may have owned us at the trade deadline as well...

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I hope so .   Maybe a new landscape and   playing Brindys  system  might elevate that pick worth  a 1st round .

So what you are saying is not quite "a would be AHLER"?

• Like 1