The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Canes trade 1st round pick (lower of the two) to NYR for Defender D Skjei

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

I would of given   a 2nd round pick  and a 3rd   and next years  3rd  at best  .    but thats  just my opinion .   Rangers fans    would seem to know the player better than both of us   and what they were saying is he was having problems with his coach .   Now   if that so happens to be true  then  ask yourself   ,  Why would they trade the guy if   they felt so strongly  about him  ,  there is lots of teams around the league that pay more to a player than they are really worth .    Go on to twitter and see the  Rangers response to this deal , they are  90 %  celebrating   saying we got fleeced .  

Most teams would probably give up a 2nd and 3rd for a 2nd pairing D man. I just dont think that deal is out there that often

Edited by AmxCanes

What I take from Skeij and Vatanen trades is that our organizational depth on defense is a myth. McKeown looks like he will never play for the Canes, and I’m not so sure about Bean. Fleury finally got a chance after 6 years because we carried him all year rather than give him away through waivers and injuries finally gave him a shot. But will he be back in the press box when Vatanen is healthy? I’m all for anything that helps the team, but we just keep signing UFA defensemen, and trading for them, rather than giving anyone in Charlotte a chance. I’m beginning to think the idea we are stacked with D prospects in Charlotte is a myth.

• Like 1

Just now, spyglass88 said:

The LATER of our 1st round picks goes to NYR. We keep the best 1st round pick, whether it's ours or Toronto's.

That’s what I was hoping for 

I thought I had posted this from my car, but maybe it didn't go through. I was hoping we could make a deal for the later of the two picks, but wasn't sure that was doable. I am very psyched we did that. Some scouts I've heard say that while the draft is deep about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the 2nd round, the elite picks are probably in the top 15. If either we, or the Leafs miss the playoffs that pick will be in top 15. If one of us makes it and the other doesn't, then one pick will be in the top 15, but the other won't, and could be much lower. Since we're both battling it could very well come down to that. 

But even if we both make it, one team might go deep and there is a 75% chance that at least one team will go out in the first round (actually higher). 

Finally, even if the picks are close, just being one or two spots higher can make a big difference. 

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

If either we, or the Rangers miss the playoffs that pick will be in top 15.

Don't you mean Leafs?

Just now, KJUNKANE said:

I don't think thats the only conclusion to reach at all bdc. I think that the move to get these 2 veteran NHL defensemen came at  this critical juncture in the season, and  is situational dependent if you will. Your conclusion looks valid, but consider that not only are we down 2 of our best 4 defensemen, but also added to the fact we lost both goalies and are having to turn to our AHL net minders, and are on the verge of getting in to our 2nd consecutive playoffs. These playoffs stand to help to solidify us in contention annually and certainly are important to season ticket holder demand. Granted it would be more preferable to groom our own D corps to replace veterans, but circumstances altered that plan drastically, and had the season played out to where these younger guys came aboard earlier, or in a less chaotic time, than I think they would be the natural sequence in changing of the guard. Fate played a huge role here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I don't think thats the only conclusion to reach at all bdc. I think that the move to get these 2 veteran NHL defensemen cam at a this critical juncture in the season, and  is situational dependent if you will. Your conclusion looks that way, but weigh in that not only are we down 2 of our best 4 defensemen, but also added to the fact we lost both goalies and are having to turn to our AHL net minders, and are on the verge of getting in to our 2nd consecutive playoffs. These playoffs stand to help to solidify us in contention annually and certainly are important to season ticket holder demand. Granted it would be more preferable to groom our own D corps to replace veterans, but circumstances altered that plan drastically, and had the season played out to where these younger guys came aboard earlier, or in a less chaotic time, than I think they would be the natural sequence in changing of the guard. Fate played a huge role here.

Not that I share bdc POV, I just feel sorry for AHLers to have hard time to even get a shot at NHL. Your explanation makes much sense, thanks KJUN. I guess the mid- to long-terms plans will be reviewed and probably adjusted in the off-season. We could let somebody go, or make another trade. I just hope we gradually introduce another guy (Bean or McKeown) in the beginning of next season.

• Like 1

Help me understand that if Skeij is worth us giving up our 6.25 million dollar 1st round pick why are the Rangers letting him go when they are only a couple of wins out of a wild card spot?   I would think a defenseman of his caliber would be pretty important to a team this time of year.       I am really good with us getting  him but it seems like the price we paid does not add up.  I wonder if he asked to be traded or what.   The Rangers drafted him then in 2018  signed him to a 6 year contract worth 31.5 million.  Just wondering ??

13 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

Help me understand that if Skeij is worth us giving up our 6.25 million dollar 1st round pick why are the Rangers letting him go when they are only a couple of wins out of a wild card spot?   I would think a defenseman of his caliber would be pretty important to a team this time of year.       I am really good with us getting  him but it seems like the price we paid does not add up.  I wonder if he asked to be traded or what.   The Rangers drafted him then in 2018  signed him to a 6 year contract worth 31.5 million.  Just wondering ??

Rangers traded him because they re-signed Kreider and needed cap space for Strome and DeAngelo. We were willing to offer a 1st so they jumped on it.

Im not sure why we did it. He has struggled as a top pairing defender. His best year was as a third pairing defender. We didn’t put enough protections on the pick for me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

There is only one thing to understand-   We needed a top 4 D and he was it.  Rangers reasons are their own.

• Like 1

The pick will be the lower of the 1st round picks.  Is this an overpay for Skjei? Maybe.  But we are actually doing something to gear up for a playoff run.  How many times have we heard "We like our group." in the past.  Well, not anymore.  Vatinen is expected back as early as next week.  Once he is back, we are back to 7 NHL defensemen and someone will have to sit. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Once he is back, we are back to 7 NHL defensemen and someone will have to sit. 

Please be TVR or Gardiner...Fleury has earned a permanent starting position 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, snuffy72 said:

One additional thing I'll add and this is just heresay, but I've read somewhere that he and the coach were not getting along? Be interesting to learn why, but that could be another motive for the trade.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

These playoffs stand to help to solidify us in contention annually and certainly are important to season ticket holder demand. Granted it would be more preferable to groom our own D corps to replace veterans, but circumstances altered that plan drastically, and had the season played out to where these younger guys came aboard earlier, or in a less chaotic time, than I think they would be the natural sequence in changing of the guard. Fate played a huge role here.

Great point KJUN. I think it refreshing that (new) management here finally realized that they're dealing with a more mature hockey market here than it was 10-15 years ago, and still living under the Cup runs of 02/06, and just glad to have a team. That novelty wore off years ago, and to keep and hold the market, and being new, they had to prove they are in the BUSINESS of hockey, and not just fielding a squad for a small, southern hockey base as it started out. TD might have been a newbie to the hockey world, but he's no newbie in the money making world.

Edited by 2ndsacker
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Please be TVR or Gardiner...Fleury has earned a permanent starting position 

OK, everyone, on the count of 3 let's all hold our breath on that happening...  🤣

Even though I was a proponent of “sitting tight” at the deadline I must applaud the committee for having the cajones to make some bold moves in very difficult circumstances. The cost was high so now we can only hope that the long term payback will have been worth it all. We shouldn’t overlook the fact that we added some snarl with the additions of Skjei and Trocheck, an element much needed for this team IMO....

• Like 4

20 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

What I take from Skeij and Vatanen trades is that our organizational depth on defense is a myth. McKeown looks like he will never play for the Canes, and I’m not so sure about Bean. Fleury finally got a chance after 6 years because we carried him all year rather than give him away through waivers and injuries finally gave him a shot. But will he be back in the press box when Vatanen is healthy? I’m all for anything that helps the team, but we just keep signing UFA defensemen, and trading for them, rather than giving anyone in Charlotte a chance. I’m beginning to think the idea we are stacked with D prospects in Charlotte is a myth.

Or, Rod Brind'Amour wouldn't know a solid prospect if he tripped over one.

Letting go of Priskie this soon could indicate an attitude problem. Gauthier may have one too, although if so, it's of Rod's making. But Kouk? Roy? Lou? Wallmark? And giving McKeown a two-way, one-year deal, yet not a sniff of the NHL? All this suggests coaching ignorance at best, and motivational coaching bull *edit* ("Earn your spot!") at worst. Everyone on the CLT roster right now is surely wondering if they're on the payroll strictly as trade bait--because clearly, passage from CLT to Raleigh no longer exists. Unless you happen to be a keeper, and both NHL keepers go down. The same night.   

Edited by top-shelf-1

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

All this suggests coaching ignorance at best

I am not sure, Top. While Rod is not Jesus, I don't think he is that ignorant. Plus there is the committee and Rod is not ruling single-handedly. There must be something/somebody else, though I am sometimes disappointed, puzzled and mad that we keep "buying" players and hardly trying those from Chartlotte.

On the other hand, it's Rod's team and he builds it how he sees appropriate, as far as the team successful. Gaut (no defense) and Kuok (cherry picker) maybe is not his types. Wallmark may be just had to go to sweeten/complete the deal (who wants just Haula and they were asking Necas), idk about others

20 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Don't you mean Leafs?

I do mean Leafs. We do have the Rangers second so must have had that on the brain as I want them to also miss and drop as low as possible. 

6 hours ago, cc said:

There is only one thing to understand-   We needed a top 4 D and he was it.  Rangers reasons are their own.

Thank you for such a simple explanation.   

I am overall happy with what went down on the TDL, but I get what Top is on about. To me it's more about the D prospects, but we did trade Goat, so there's that. The thing is that there has been a very definite tendency to not develop or play our own D prospects, almost ever. I know that draft order is not the final answer to every question, but we did draft Hayden Fleury #7 overall. That's pretty heady. Then we refused to play him many many times. It's almost a miracle that he's playing now. But he's the only one. McKeown, also supposedly ready 3 years ago? Not a sniff. But TD goes out and gets CDH, and then Jake Gardiner, and now Skeij AND Vatanen. 

Hey we need D help now that Pesce is down, but did we need him and Skeij? To me it all depends on how good Skeij really is since I'm expecting Vantanen to be a rental. I have to think the Canes like Skeij more than some. I have no idea. There seems to be a lot of skepticism on him out there. But maybe we think we can just move him in the offseason? But do we get a first rounder back? Maybe not with that contract and him on his third team in that case. I have to think we like him long term in our middle pair. 

I am thinking that has to mean we've also tired of Gardiner, and plan to move him. Hamilton/Slavin/Skeij/Pesce/Fleury/Bean being the group out of camp next year. 

I don't know, but the Canes liking Skeij and making those groupings makes some sense to me.