The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Canes trade 1st round pick (lower of the two) to NYR for Defender D Skjei

1 hour ago, remkin said:

The thing is that there has been a very definite tendency to not develop or play our own D prospects, almost ever. I know that draft order is not the final answer to every question, but we did draft Hayden Fleury #7 overall. That's pretty heady. Then we refused to play him many many times. It's almost a miracle that he's playing now. But he's the only one

Rem, I think you forgot a couple. Pesce and Slavin kind of threw some major wrenches in the defensive depth pipeline/development program. Who would have expected 2 of our later round college picks to come in and become among the best defenders in the league? But I agree with the general idea that we aren't bringing prospects up and putting them in an opportunity to succeed. We call up prospects and ask them to perform in a role they aren't built for,. Kind of like Svech being played at center when he first got to America before his brother informed the coach "He will do whatever you ask, but he doesn't know how to play center" (paraphrased from an article I saw).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Wallmark may be just had to go to sweeten/complete the deal (who wants just Haula and they were asking Necas), idk about others

Just because they wanted Necas doesn't make the ask reasonable. I mean, I want Johnny Gaudreau for Jordan Staal, but I don't expect that to happen.

3 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

I am not sure, Top. While Rod is not Jesus, I don't think he is that ignorant. Plus there is the committee and Rod is not ruling single-handedly. There must be something/somebody else, though I am sometimes disappointed, puzzled and mad that we keep "buying" players and hardly trying those from Chartlotte.

I think ultimately (pure conjecture based on what we know of their personalities) Roddy has the final say-so among him, Waddell, and TD, especially in a playoff race. I think Roddy would insist on it, and if either of them asks why, he'd just point to his ring and say, "You guys want one of these, right?"

Edit to add: Waddell got one as AGM of the Red Wings. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

I would feel better if the pick was also conditional on us having two this year, allowing it to slide to next year if Toronto's protection clause goes into effect. It would suck if we both miss the playoffs and both win the lottery leaving us without a first...

On 2/25/2020 at 9:34 PM, DevildogKodi said:

I would feel better if the pick was also conditional on us having two this year, allowing it to slide to next year if Toronto's protection clause goes into effect. It would suck if we both miss the playoffs and both win the lottery leaving us without a first...

Do we know for sure it doesn't say that? 

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

Do we know for sure it doesn't say that? 

It doesn’t say that at all. It says our worst 2020 1st rounder. The wording we don’t know is if its a blanket worst 2020 1st rounder or the worst between our two “currently” existing 1st rounders.

if the unthinkable happens and Toronto wins the lottery and gets inside 10 and we are 14th, could we trade 14 for 17 and 20 with NJ (assuming Arizona makes the playoffs) Giving NYR the 20th. Or are we stuck with giving up the 14th?

Edited by gocanes0506

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

It doesn’t say that at all. It says our worst 2020 1st rounder. The wording we don’t know is if its a blanket worst 2020 1st rounder or the worst between our two “currently” existing 1st rounders.

if the unthinkable happens and Toronto wins the lottery and gets inside 10 and we are 14th, could we trade 14 for 17 and 20 with NJ (assuming Arizona makes the playoffs) Giving NYR the 20th. Or are we stuck with giving up the 14th?

Gotta think we worked that out. It's just so obvious. But you never know I guess.

He is going to be a strong addition long term. 

As awful as Jake Gradiner has been this year we will need it.  I am dismayed how gaffe prone he has been and as much as last night has prompted me to comment, I have seen it basically all season in him. 

I can live with an "offensive" defenseman not scorin, but a blue-liner that does not seem to see the ice or the play developing is another.  If I didnt know better I would say his mind is anywhere but in the game (Gradiner).  At $4mill a year he is leaving the team short.

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Now that  i got  to see 2 games with Skjei in a Canes uniform  the 1st round pick was worth the trade !   Kinda surprised  the rangers let him go for just that .  

• Like 1

I still think that Gardiner's thing is possibly Goat's thing. That is a lot of individual talent, capable of very high end plays, but just not at the natural all-ice awareness, hockey IQ needed in the NHL. He can make a series of slick, very nice plays, then make a stunningly bad decision. Thing is, that a power forward can get away with that more than any other position because they are primarily there to score goals and the mistake mostly just ends in an offensive zone turnover. But the NHL D man can get away with it far less than any other position because they are making those plays in their own end, they are primarily there to prevent goals, and the mistake often ends up in their own net.

OK this is about the Skjei trade. So I'll bring the Gardiner thing home by saying: Skjei >> Gardiner, and this allows us to move Gardiner in the offseason.

• Like 2

If we go into next year with Slavin-Hamilton, Sjkei-Pesce, Fleury and warm body, we will be just fine...  I can't believe they let him go either.  Maybe we are getting A+ Skjei, but he looks like he will fit right in....

My main dislike with Gardiner's play is not his lack of offense or his defensive blunders, it is his total lack of skating speed. Opponents blow past him like he is standing still. Way to slow for our game.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Opponents blow past him like he is standing still. 

That's because he is, literally, standing still most of the time when he tries to stop or control a bouncing puck. What irks me about his play is that we know that he is capable of crisp outlet passes but easily gets flustered and hesitates a second too long under pressure. Throw a puck into the mix and he looks like a mutt chasing his tail.  

To keep it on topic though, so far I like what Skjei brings to the ice.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

That's because he is, literally, standing still most of the time when he tries to stop or control a bouncing puck. What irks me about his play is that we know that he is capable of crisp outlet passes but easily gets flustered and hesitates a second too long under pressure. Throw a puck into the mix and he looks like a mutt chasing his tail. 

This is exactly what I see.  I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and call it "aggressive" zone control, but rather I hate to say it, it is more just flat footed-ness.  Once he misses one of those pucks, there's no hope catching the guy going the other way.

• Like 1

Just now, cclifford10 said:

He still needs to get more comfortable, but the eye test says Skjei is a good fit for this system.

He may have not been on the score sheet the past few games, but he’s been really disruptive in the d zone and not making boneheaded mistakes like others 

• Like 3