The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Off Season Trades, Free Agents and other moves

I'm still all in on us making the playoffs but it is the time of the season when rumors begin to swirl. With the Salary CAP expected to rise we should have some elbow room.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Goalie!

A universal want for most of my time as a STH, what since 2002? Not sure where one will come from caniac6 and rem, I know you keep pitching Lehner, but just not sure if his attitude, salary demands or his expectation of being "the anointed one" in a Brindy system of "earning one's minutes" will play well? Interestingly, was on a Chicago site, and they appear, I'm sure like many other teams are, to be on a goalie quest also. They are mentioning several including Ilya Sorokin (think in Isles system), Collin Delia or Malcolm Subban. Not sure of their availability, but are any of them a possibility vs several frequently mentioned older goalies?

49 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

A universal want for most of my time as a STH, what since 2002? Not sure where one will come from caniac6 and rem, I know you keep pitching Lehner, but just not sure if his attitude, salary demands or his expectation of being "the anointed one" in a Brindy system of "earning one's minutes" will play well? Interestingly, was on a Chicago site, and they appear, I'm sure like many other teams are, to be on a goalie quest also. They are mentioning several including Ilya Sorokin (think in Isles system), Collin Delia or Malcolm Subban. Not sure of their availability, but are any of them a possibility vs several frequently mentioned older goalies?

I surely don't know the answer, but I do know this. As this team's core star players mature, the goalie position will be the make or break position. If we figure it out we will be a contender for years, if we don't we won't. Also, as you've mentioned, it is now the single position that we have yet to figure out for more than brief moments as a franchise, and the one position that correlates the strongest with success. 

We can fiddle around with the bottom pair D and the depth forwards with enough certainty that with a good goalie we will rock, and with enough uncertainty that with a series of average at best goalies we will not rock.

19 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Finally this topic is back !!! 

Cff, not sure where you've been, but I really doubt that the topic has ever been very far from many a mind on here? Just because it isn't discussed doesn't mean fans are not acutely aware of our goalie trials and tribulations like forever, even more than the moniker "Candy Canes".

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

How about Gardiner then?

Trade him for a bag of pucks and a decent Zamboni driver...got anyone in mind? ;)

Edited by AWACSooner

D looks really great going into next year.  Slavin and Hamilton are the no doubt 1/2.  Peace and Skjei should bevreally high end 3/4.  There are lots of choices for the last 2 spots. 

On the left, Edmundson has been great but is an UFA.  Fluery has really developed with the increased ice time.  Bean has done all that can be done in the A.  Lots of choices there.  If Eddie was resigned, Fluery could be used in a trade to solidify another area.  I like the rough around the edges game that Eddie brings, but I think I would go with Fluery.  He will be much more affordable in a 3rd pair role.  Bean could be 7th defensemen or trade bait.

The right is not so deep, which explains the Goat trade.  The top 2 spots are rock solid with Hamilton and Pesce.  TVR is a UFA and I think I would give him a nice parting gift and move on.  It would be nice to see Vantanen get a few games to see how he fits.  If he's not too expensive, he might be a good fit in the 3rd spot.  The ducks version would be great.  The devil's version...not so much.  Other than that, it is Joey Keane, McKeown, or new guy.  Obviously there is something undesirable about McKeown because he hasn't had much of a look.  The only other option is to play somebody on their offside.

Unless somebody is traded, there are 10 returning forwards that will be on the team. 

In the top 6, we have Aho, TT, Svech, and Necas.  Trocheck is probably pencilled in there as well.  That leaves one open spot.

In the bottom 6, we have Martinook, Mcginn, Foegele, Staal, and Nino.  I have always thought it was Geekie's spot to lose and he didn't do anything in his first look to change that.  Lorentz should make a fine 13 forward.  I thought he looked fast and tenacious in camp and him numbers in the A are very solid.

That leaves one forward spot, preferably in the top 6 available.  There's nobody in Charlotte that projects in that role so either a prospect makes the jump straight from juniors or college or we add a price through trade or free agency.

I have 4 players on the way out via trade.  Gardner, Dzingle, and two of the three goalies on one-way contracts.  There is no room for Gardner on a stacked left side of the D.  Dzingle isn't scoring.  I know Nino isn't either, but his heavy game brings more value in other areas.  We have three goalies on one-way deals, two have to go if we are going to bring in an upgrade.

Trades are way too hard to predict so I will throw out some free agents I would target.  I would be looking for one at each position:

Goalie - Markstom 

Forward - Granlund, Toffoli

Defence - Vantanen, Gudas

Edited by cclifford10

42 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Trades are way too hard to predict so I will throw out some free agents I would target.  I would be looking for one at each position:

Goalie - Markstom 

Forward - Granlund, Toffoli

Defence - Vantanen, Gudas

I was not aware markstrom was a ufa .   If so  he could be a great option for the Canes .   just pray  we would not be getting eddy lacked ! 

One thing I've learned is that this committee is like a shark, it has to keep swimming to live. I'm not sure what off season moves will be made, only that they will be made. 

Interestingly, Justin Williams is our only forward turning UFA. Still, I do see some reshaping up front as most likely, if nothing else because TD can't not tinker, and because a few guys have had really disappointing seasons. 

Dzingel projects for 10 goals/37 points, Staal, 10G, 33P, Nino 12 goals, 35P, McGinn 9G, 21 P, Martinook 4G, 24 P. 

On paper any or all of them could be moved. Nino and Staal are the most overpaid based on production. I have to think we hope for a Staal rebound given his C, his contract, his NTC, his D play, and Brind'Amour's love for him, but I'd look at offers. McGinn is a 4th liner, and maybe gets a pass. Martinook has tailed WAY off. Those numbers are his actual games played projected over 82 games, not his actual numbers. 

Foegele, has actually had a nice advancement of his career and as a RFA should stay. He projects to 16 goals and 35 points, both big ups from last year, and he is +9 this year (#6 on team), vs -17 last year, (by FAR last on the team). I think he can be a solid 3rd line winger with grit who can score 20G, and should be had at a decent price.

I guess who moves out from the forwards could still depend on who gets hot from here out.

On 3/6/2020 at 2:52 PM, remkin said:

I surely don't know the answer, but I do know this. As this team's core star players mature, the goalie position will be the make or break position. If we figure it out we will be a contender for years, if we don't we won't. Also, as you've mentioned, it is now the single position that we have yet to figure out for more than brief moments as a franchise, and the one position that correlates the strongest with success. 

We can fiddle around with the bottom pair D and the depth forwards with enough certainty that with a good goalie we will rock, and with enough uncertainty that with a series of average at best goalies we will not rock.

To me the main unknown is whether Ned will pan out. Other goalies in that age bracket like Mackenzie Blackwood (2015 2nd round) and Carter Hart (2016 2nd round) are now getting the full time starting job and sniffing an elite level. Shesterkin and Samsonov are in there too. Ned hasn't gotten near the same NHL games these guys have but he's shown flashes in his first few. I say all this pretty ignorant of how goalie scouting works, but if we picked Ned in the 2nd round he must have some major upside. Time will tell whether he's a franchise goalie. I do like the sound of a Reimer-Ned combo next year. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

One thing I've learned is that this committee is like a shark, it has to keep swimming to live. I'm not sure what off season moves will be made, only that they will be made. 

. . .

Well, Dundon did say that their job was to find better players and the players job was to make that very hard to do . . .

• Like 2

Probably traded:

Gardiner

Dzingle

Could be traded:

Fleury (although I hope note)

Bean

Nino

Mrazek/Reimer

Needs:

Starting goalie

1 top 6 winger

1 RHD (either 6th or 7th defender)

Svech-Aho-Necas

Turbo-Trocheck-????

Nino??-Staal-McGinn

Foegele-Geekie-Marty

18 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Probably traded:

Gardiner

Dzingle

Could be traded:

Fleury (although I hope note)

Bean

Nino

Mrazek/Reimer

Needs:

Starting goalie

1 top 6 winger

1 RHD (either 6th or 7th defender)

Svech-Aho-Necas

Turbo-Trocheck-????

Nino??-Staal-McGinn

Foegele-Geekie-Marty

That's mostly how I see the lines next year.  I would flip Mcginn and Foegele.   

34 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

That's mostly how I see the lines next year.  I would flip Mcginn and Foegele.   

Turbo off the top line? Not criticizing, just curious why ya'll think so? Is there something I'm missing?

I wouldn't be so quick to dump Dzingel. When the Haula line was effective at the beginning of the year, he was on a 50-60pt pace. He's your top 6 winger. I'd think he'd be motivated this summer to improve and I think he'd be a nice fit next to Trocheck. Also, he's on a nice deal for what he potentially brings (40-55pts) and that deal expires at the end of next season. They can take the bet that he improves, let him walk and then use that cap space to offset the raises due Svechnikov and Hamilton. 

Svechnikov-Aho-Necas

Dzingel-Trocheck-Teravainen

McGinn-Staal-(Geekie?)

Foegele-(Geekie?)-Martinook

I like the idea of splitting up Teravainen and Aho for more balance.

Edit-I totally forgot Niederreiter...Guess that blows up my projections...

I see 2 bottom 6 spots open for next year where Geekie might fit plus another AHL promotion in Bishop/Lorentz, college prospect in Cotton/Drury or UFA(s). There's always the outside shot that a Bokk or Rees blows the doors off in camp, but doubtful.

As a longshot prediction, I wouldn't be shocked if the braintrust re-engages EDM for the rights to Puljujarvi at the draft. He'd look pretty good in that top 9 I'd think.

Edited by spockrock