The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

NHL looking at plans if coronavirus spreads.

The NHL is "starting to explore contingency plans" should the coronavirus become a more significant health threat in North America ahead of the 2019-20 NHL playoffs, deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN on Monday.  Daly did not rule out several options, such as postponing or canceling games, or even playing games in empty arenas.

😕

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Well, that's not happening (i.e. running it's course before April).  People need to face reality that something like this could really happen.

You’re right.  Pandemics usually run their course—in waves of varying severity—over an 18 to 36 month period.  This won’t be gone in a month or two.  The United States is currently where China was in mid-January.  Of course, I’m not sure we have the appetite for involuntary isolation and quarantine measures the Chinese have implemented.

The reaction to the virus seems over the top versus the relative risk.  The average patron is more likely to die a premature death from downing baskets of BBQ nachos at the arena than anything related to Coronavirus...

• Like 1

The Spanish Flu pandemic infected about 27% of the world’s population.  The virus killed only 2-3% of those infected.  The rest recovered.  While the risks were small to any one individual, the pandemic killed 50 million people according to conservative estimates.

16 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

People need to face reality that something like this could really happen

I didn't mean to diminish the risk. The history of the virus shows a steady infection rate. The planning by the NHL and other sports brings home just how serious the virus could become. I applaud the planning and still hope it isn't needed. But the reality is it could.

Here’s an interview with Dr. Mark Lipsitch, epidemiologists at Harvard.  In summary:

• 40% to 70% of adults worldwide will be infected.
  • “There are going to be millions of people dying.”
  • This is not an existential threat to humanity.  It’s just going to be bad for a while.

Well, I’m not sure what to think.  I remember studying way back about the psychological bias to believe that one’s current situation in life is immune from drastic interruptions.  Previous generations have experienced pandemics and calamities.  I hope we’re not naive enough to discount the possibility that it could happen to us.

Italian Football will be playing in empty stadiums.  Could happen here.

This is worst than flu.  But remember flu continues to kill, including another 11 in NC last week.  Again, NOT saying this is the flu!  NHL is correct to consider contingencies.   This COVID is particularly hard on people over 60 or who have current medical conditions.

But let's keep perspective.  Ultimately, I hope we all come out of this with better awareness for our terribly messy habits and we limit all kinds of spread of disease in the future.

Looks like empty arenas just became a reality at one BB tournament

BALTIMORE, MD - Johns Hopkins University is pleased to be hosting the first two rounds of the NCAA Division III men's basketball tournament this weekend.  However, in light of Maryland's recently confirmed cases of COVID-19, and based on CDC guidance for large gatherings, we have determined that it is prudent to hold this tournament without spectators.  We are not making any determination about other JHU events at this time; while we await further guidance from public health authorities, we will be assessing large events on a case-by-case basis.  We regret any inconvenience to the families and fans of the players.

The start times for Friday's games have been pushed back an hour. 

An interesting aside on this COVID-19 issue. I would guess that many on here know that my love for the game of hockey, in particular the NHL level, stems from the fact that I truly believe that this sport is the last vestige of what is and should be a TEAM game. So many other "sports" are moving away from that and the ugly feeling of entitlement IMHO changes the deep value of coexisting and working toward a common goal, into seeking individual glory. Therefore in my admitted narrow minded view of this present shift in values, and as related to this evolving pandemic, guess what sport is apparently upfront in rejecting the suggestion of playing sporting events in empty arenas? Yep, the NBA and apparently LaBron made that statement just recently in the media. Figures, can't show off slam dunks and feel the same adoration to TV cameras?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snorklethebay said:

so what happens to our current season tickets/parking/food credits we have if games are cancelled or if the arenas play the games without the fans?

I would think all of this, and sporting events in general and any other gatherings are very fluid at present until the scope of this "pandemic" is understood?

53 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I would think all of this, and sporting events in general and any other gatherings are very fluid at present until the scope of this "pandemic" is understood?

Yeah, we don't know if the no-fans games will happen.

But IF they do... I think snorkle is asking that.

snorkle, welcome, but we're no experts here, just fans.  The team or NHL has not made a ruling on such a thing.

My opinion is that that your ticket is a contract of sorts.  You pay for a service rendered.  If the service is not rendered, then there is a breech.  It goes both ways.  Fans contract with the team to not cause disruption (fights, language, hanging over the balcony, throwing stuff) and can be removed without notice.

When rock stars have tours, and have to cancel, there are refunds or credit to rescheduled dates.  That is your analog.

All this said... My guess would be this: If it happens, there will be heavy encouragement to roll the refund over to the team to play for future obligations such as playoffs, next  year STM or even individual games.  They will probably also offer refunds in the fine print.  They'll probably even consider food credit roll overs.  That's an interesting problem!  I just ate up the last of mine last game.  :)

P.S. I have no idea about games bought on the second market.

Edited by wxray1

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a Force Majeure clause that applies.

"A Force Majeure clause is a provision in a contract that excuses a party from not performing its contractual obligations that becomes impossible or impracticable, due to an event or effect that the parties could not have anticipated or controlled."

BUT, even if so, the Canes have a big interest in keeping their fans happy for the long term, so I'd bet they'd offer some credit equivalent to what was lost.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a Force Majeure clause that applies.

"A Force Majeure clause is a provision in a contract that excuses a party from not performing its contractual obligations that becomes impossible or impracticable, due to an event or effect that the parties could not have anticipated or controlled."

BUT, even if so, the Canes have a big interest in keeping their fans happy for the long term, so I'd bet they'd offer some credit equivalent to what was lost.

Or they can say this is the League who enforced games at empty arenas and they cannot do anything with it.

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Yeah, we don't know if the no-fans games will happen.

But IF they do... I think snorkle is asking that.

snorkle, welcome, but we're no experts here, just fans.  The team or NHL has not made a ruling on such a thing.

My opinion is that that your ticket is a contract of sorts.  You pay for a service rendered.  If the service is not rendered, then there is a breech.  It goes both ways.  Fans contract with the team to not cause disruption (fights, language, hanging over the balcony, throwing stuff) and can be removed without notice.

When rock stars have tours, and have to cancel, there are refunds or credit to rescheduled dates.  That is your analog.

All this said... My guess would be this: If it happens, there will be heavy encouragement to roll the refund over to the team to play for future obligations such as playoffs, next  year STM or even individual games.  They will probably also offer refunds in the fine print.  They'll probably even consider food credit roll overs.  That's an interesting problem!  I just ate up the last of mine last game.  :)

P.S. I have no idea about games bought on the second market.

Thanks to all of you who responded; the answers were as we expected. Fortunately we only have a few more home games as a full season ticket holder and we haven't paid for the play off strip or renewed for next year, yet. Renew definitely, but might wait a few weeks just to see how things pan out.  We only have about $30 food credit left we were saving for our last game. But it might be difficult to get our money back from Raleigh for the parking passes we pre-paid for.

Well, it’s begun...

San Jose’s county has banned all events over 1,000 people til the end of the month, so it looks like at least three Sharkiez games will be played in an empty shark tank 

Imagine that-  Cali doing something radical.  Seasonal Flu killed over 200 last year in California.

• Like 1