The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

1 hour ago, cc said:

Imagine that-  Cali doing something radical.  Seasonal Flu killed over 200 last year in California.

Or, ya know, the other diseases running amok due to another crisis that I won’t explicitly mention because it will touch off a political storm.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snorklethebay said:

Thanks to all of you who responded; the answers were as we expected. Fortunately we only have a few more home games as a full season ticket holder and we haven't paid for the play off strip or renewed for next year, yet. Renew definitely, but might wait a few weeks just to see how things pan out.  We only have about $30 food credit left we were saving for our last game. But it might be difficult to get our money back from Raleigh for the parking passes we pre-paid for.

I’ve renewed for next year’s STM tickets and have (stupidly) made the first payment.  I ordered playoff tickets, but took the “pay as you play” route, so I don’t owe yet.  I’ve gone through my food credit already.  I’m assuming that we’d get a refund (or at least a credit for future games) for closed or unplayed games.

Honestly, we’re kind of where Wuhan was around mid to late January.  It might take until late March to get a feel for how this pans out.  In summary:

• I would not be surprised if our last six or eight regular season games are closed to fans or cancelled;
  • I think the Canes have a 70% chance of making the playoffs;
  • Fans have a 20% chance of actually seeing a playoff game in person due to either being closed or cancelled outright.

The 1919 Stanley Cup playoffs were cancelled due to the Spanish Flu pandemic.  No champion was declared.  Several of the players in the championship final had to be hospitalized with one of them dying.

Whether or not you agree with the media reporting or health authority actions, the fact is the authorities have some say in how people must act who prove positive.  Currently, that means quarantine or isolation.

Therefore, should an NHL player come down with this and test positive, it will be beyond fascinating to see what happens.  This could go down the rabbit hole real fast.  It is not out of possibility that instead a player or two could be asked to self quarantine if a family member has had contact.  I hope our players and families are not chummy with anyone from Biogen.

The NHL has taken the step of making the locker rooms off limits.  It started with the Canes game on Sunday with the interviews taking place outside the room.

8 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Dont worry, everyone will receive a free Jake Gardiner Jersey for every game missed.

Or maybe custom jerseys like...

COVID 

Too soon?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Or maybe custom jerseys like...

COVID 

Too soon?

Perhaps or Zamboni 90.

So apparently the governor of Ohio has decreed no public sporting events, or above a certain size. Speculation about Blue Jacket games being played empty,.

Wouldn't be suprised if we see drastic measures in Raleigh. Schools already canceling trips, one school closed. People freaking out and buying out all frozen food in the stores? 

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

So apparently the governor of Ohio has decreed no public sporting events, or above a certain size. Speculation about Blue Jacket games being played empty,.

Governor reiterated in his conference that it was recommendations and not an order. However it sounds like we're on the fast track to orders.

46 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Governor reiterated in his conference that it was recommendations and not an order. However it sounds like we're on the fast track to orders.

And his sentence immediately following that was something like, “But the situation could change soon.”  (Paraphrasing of course.)  I’ll be amazed if transmission doesn’t occur this week in Greensboro during the ACC tournament.

20 minutes ago, cc said:

The term "stepping away from the edge" comes to mind.

Unfortunately many people have already taken the plunge. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 10:11 PM, LakeLivin said:

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a Force Majeure clause that applies.

"A Force Majeure clause is a provision in a contract that excuses a party from not performing its contractual obligations that becomes impossible or impracticable, due to an event or effect that the parties could not have anticipated or controlled."

BUT, even if so, the Canes have a big interest in keeping their fans happy for the long term, so I'd bet they'd offer some credit equivalent to what was lost.

I suspect this as well.

Columbus Blue Jackets just announced no fans for their remaining home games.  Does this mean they won’t sound that stupid cannon when they score?  This should help the Canes edge them in a playoff push, I can’t imagine playing in front of an empty arena gives the home team any advantage.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Columbus Blue Jackets just announced no fans for their remaining home games.  Does this mean they won’t sound that stupid cannon when they score?  This should help the Canes edge them in a playoff push, I can’t imagine playing in front of an empty arena gives the home team any advantage.  

It's gotta take away some, but they still have last change, which seems like it can be a big deal at times.

NBA 🏀 postponed until further notice. While watching the 2nd intermission between the Hawks and Sharks tonight, the NBA news was discussed and what that means for the NHL. Hearing NHL postponement is on the table and a statement will be made as soon as tomorrow 3/12.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Undoubtedly.

If so  then   that would  be  for as long as it takes or  season end   and placed teams  for   this years draft  will be  slotted  based on ranking or points ?  cause some  teams  have games on hand more than others   not sure how this works  or  what ? 

Edited by Canesfanforever

19 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

If so  then   that would  be  for as long as it takes or  season end   and placed teams  for   this years draft  will be  slotted  based on ranking or points ?  cause some  teams  have games on hand more than others   not sure how this works  or  what ? 

I think they will still have playoffs but later one.