The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

48 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

In case it wasn't clear, I wasn't taking an intractable position against opening up, just pointing out that opinions are mixed and still leaning towards safety (although that will reverse the longer we stay locked down).  [... much deleted since you can read it yourself]

Lake: I'm about 98.5% with you.   Too bad there isn't a game where we could met up and chat.

You know, that's part of the problem.  These days everyone pontificates on social media, which can be a terrible medium to communicate.  There's nothing like having a drink or snack or game together and chat. 

Yeah, I'm old, but the message of this song is even more appropriate today than ever, even though it is from the psychedelic era.  I actually agree a lot with top-shelf, even though he ticks me off a lot.  I bet, if we could just have some time together... Dang, that's what is so frustrating about this pandemic.  You can't even have real time together.

And you may find a friend
I knew a man that I did not care for
And then one day this man gave me a call
We sat and talked about things on our mind
And now this man he is a friend of mine
Don't be afraid of love, don't be afraid

31 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Lake: I'm about 98.5% with you.   Too bad there isn't a game where we could met up and chat.

, , ,

:cheers:

Back to cleaning beach houses. It's as if everything is back to normal. Just in the area I parked my vehicle yesterday to go clean a beach condo weekly rental there were vehicles from Delaware, Massachusetts, Ohio, New York and Texas. We disinfect these houses, but it is worrying the way the beach crowd act like nothing has or is happening.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wxray1 said:

...UFC, NASCAR and Pro Golf are very different.  Isolation is possible to various degrees.  With team sports it is not.  A virus racing through a team could take it out of competition for weeks...

This makes me think Fencing is the perfect COVID-19 sport—

You’re required to wear gloves.

You’re required to wear a mask.

And if someone gets within six feet of you, you stab them!!! 😜

• Like 5

We've been watching a few of the classic games, and surprisingly enjoyed the 1999 and 2002 games.

Mrs. and I were watching, and we couldn't help but notice all the spitting.  Still goes on today.  Talk about breaking the COVID containment rules!  Then Mrs. watches the guys grab their mouthpiece with their gloves and she stands up and yells, "no!".  It is just an automatic reaction these days.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

This makes me think Fencing is the perfect COVID-19 sport—

You’re required to wear gloves.

You’re required to wear a mask.

And if someone gets within six feet of you, you stab them!!! 😜

O.K. - This has to win some kind of award.  This is the LOL post I have read in awhile.   I can't wait for the nightmare to be over !!

• Like 4

On 5/7/2020 at 8:51 PM, remkin said:

Would that be top 4 get byes? Then 24 get down to 12 and form 16 teams with the 4 bye teams? 

I guess I like that we're in, so I say use point percentage and take the top 16 teams in the league. Rank them 1-16 by point percentage. 16 plays 1, etc.

We'd be ranked #9 and play Vegas who we are almost identical to in many categories. 

Of course they'll want to get more teams in, so this will turn out to be a great year to be close but with no real chance because now, congratulations, you're in.

24 teams conveniently brings in the Rangers and Montreal. The Rangers were coming on late, but Montreal definitely did not earn a shot at this. So instead, how about this. Can the regular season and let all 31 teams in the playoffs. Give the top team by winning percentage a first round bye, and every round is 2 out of 3 until the finals which would be 7 games. No idea how long this would take but less than 2+ months I’d think.

In reality, they need to face reality and cancel the season. Too much can go wrong, starting with the health of the players, to be worth coming back now. I’m sure the league is doing it, but their energy needs to be going into figuring out how to start 2020-21 season on time, and what accommodations will be necessary to make hockey work this fall.

8 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

image.thumb.jpeg.474027f100e34f252b1023416ff1af90.jpeg

Will the NHL be next?

Minor leagues, in all sports, have different operating revenue sources than their major league counter-parts.  The minor leagues depend significantly on gate receipts, so operating without fans is really a non-starter.  The NFL, with its huge TV revenue stream, likely could operate for a long time with no or limited fans.  The NHL, not as much.  Those planning and scenario analysis meetings at league headquarters must be something...

Watched a little of Korean baseball this morning.

The fake fans behind the plate are ridiculous.  The piped in noise matters.  I think if the NHL does this (and I'm still thinking it will be next season earliest), they need some sort of atmospheric sound in the stadium.

Otherwise, the game is the game.  The umps wear facemasks.  So do the baseline coaches.  That's weird.

It will be different.

OK, this is not a surprise.  Should any games, regular season or playoff, occur for 19-20 season, fans won't be in the arena -- in all likelihood. 

So, the team has acknowledged that with the following statement to us STMs who have put down the cash.   They do have a disclaimer that in the <unlikely> event games are played with fans, we have first dibs on buying back our games.

Dear wxray1,

We hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. Thank you for your continued support of the Carolina Hurricanes – we are anxious to get back on the ice and can’t wait to see you at PNC Arena whenever that is deemed possible.

While the remaining eight home games of the 2019-20 regular season have not been officially cancelled, the Hurricanes want to continue to provide flexibility to our Season Ticket Members as we all plan ahead for the 2020-21 season.  Because we are approaching your next scheduled payment on 6/1/20, we will be applying all credit* from un-played games to decrease this payment, and all future payments for the 2020-21 season. Credit amounts include all un-played 2019-20 regular season games and parking, as well as any funds paid toward the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

... <bunch o details and possible exceptions>

On 5/15/2020 at 11:34 AM, wxray1 said:

OK, this is not a surprise.  Should any games, regular season or playoff, occur for 19-20 season, fans won't be in the arena -- in all likelihood. 

So, the team has acknowledged that with the following statement to us STMs who have put down the cash.   They do have a disclaimer that in the <unlikely> event games are played with fans, we have first dibs on buying back our games.

No fans equals no game IMO.   Just open up with reduced seating and social distancing measures.  

2 hours ago, cc said:

No fans equals no game IMO.   Just open up with reduced seating and social distancing measures.  

Not a recipe for profitability. And based on what we know about Dundon, if it ain't profitable, it ain't happenin'.

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not a recipe for profitability. And based on what we know about Dundon, if it ain't profitable, it ain't happenin'.

I get that was his philosophy. Good management can change with the circumstances . This is the time for new approaches. Even if temporary .

I'm still a bit mystified myself by the $$$ aspect, and how this could possibly work for hockey -- outside of the Great White North.

MLB is having a rocky road negotiating with their players.  It isn't certain MLB will play, what with push back including safety concerns and MONEY.  I heard an interview with one player and he basically said, "We ain't playing unless we get PAID." 

Now, you put some MLB up on TV, and the ratings will be sky high.  People are desperate.  Money will come in from TV.  TV is desperate for live action so they can charge their advertisers some bucks.

We love the NHL, but NHL won't draw like MLB, NBA or NFL. 

So where's the money going to come from?  You think the players are going to play for free?   Nope.  They Will Not.

33 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I'm still a bit mystified myself by the $$$ aspect, and how this could possibly work for hockey -- outside of the Great White North.

MLB is having a rocky road negotiating with their players.  It isn't certain MLB will play, what with push back including safety concerns and MONEY.  I heard an interview with one player and he basically said, "We ain't playing unless we get PAID." 

Now, you put some MLB up on TV, and the ratings will be sky high.  People are desperate.  Money will come in from TV.  TV is desperate for live action so they can charge their advertisers some bucks.

We love the NHL, but NHL won't draw like MLB, NBA or NFL. 

So where's the money going to come from?  You think the players are going to play for free?   Nope.  They Will Not.

It is a different situation than baseball.

they have played the majority of games and so, most have gotten a vast majority of their pay.

to the players this is about the earnings of the league and maintaining a higher cap ceiling (escrow).  If they play the playoffs, the TV money for the playoffs will bring the league back into the black.  Keeping the cap at where it is now will mean the players will earn what they are supposed to next season. Also, it only slightly affects the earning potential of the upcoming UFAs. In the end they are playing for normalcy for next season.

the mlb hasn’t started so, they can’t earn 80-85% of gate revenues. The league expects to lose a billion dollars from a lack of gate revenue and other revenues at this point. The owners want the players to take a slice of the risk by basing their entire salaries on 50% of revenue. Unlike the nhl players, they will not know what they are being paid.  Which is troubling for anyone and I expect baseball to continue to shoot itself in the foot.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

Thanks gocanes.  I can't keep track of all this.

So for the NHL, the real trouble could begin next season if they start December (as rumored), and a second wave has popped up.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:16 PM, cc said:

I don’t see how they’d logistically figure out reduced seating given they have STHs. How would they determine which fans go and where they sit with social distancing? If they did some sort of blind lottery to determine that could you opt out of the rest of the season without risking your current status/seats? If you have known increased risk factor(s) at the moment I do not see a path that would be *safe enough*.

Edited by caneswincup
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cc said:

It ain’t gunna matter. We can’t go back for another lockdown. Herd immunity or bust.

There are already cases of reoccurrence, so it’s looking like herd immunity is wishful thinking, especially as it continues to morph into various strains.

Aside from my (or any fans health) I find it grossly unfair that we would expect to have players put their health, their family’s health, etc. at risk and to expect them to separately live from their families in the name of entertainment.

I love hockey and I understand there are risks in professional sports but this is not one anybody signed up for when they chose to pursue this career. 

Edited by caneswincup
  • Like 1

Sweden now estimates they'll have herd immunity by June. Maybe the NHL could play games there. The bigger ice would be an interesting twist.

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Thanks gocanes.  I can't keep track of all this.

So for the NHL, the real trouble could begin next season if they start December (as rumored), and a second wave has popped up.

Yes. Next season will not start without fans.  Smaller market teams cant function without it and big market teams cant pull all the weight with their TV deals and a national deal.

NHL needs gate money to make money.  Really everyone needs gate money outside of the NFL.  

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

NHL needs gate money to make money.  Really everyone needs gate money outside of the NFL.  

The minor leagues could become a real issue in all sports, including the NHL, if this drags on.  That's kind of interesting considering the Canes are having a bit of a tiff with their affiliate at this time.

MLB wanted to contract the minors, specifically some of the lower leagues like the Burlington Royals play in.  (Ever been to a game?  Good fun, terrible baseball.)   There were petitions to Congress to save the teams from contraction.  No joke because MLB has a law approved monopoly.  You can't make this up.  Yes, professional baseball is a mandated monopoly. 

Anyway, I doubt the Royals will survive as an MLB affiliate.  They may become part of some new independent league, at best.  Besides dumping their rookie affiliates, I suspect MLB may even go deeper and dump low A affiliates.  Mudcats are high A and probably will survive.  Maybe!  Depends on each team.  The Mudcats are now owned by the Brewers so they'll probably survive.  Their previous life owned by an individual like Steve Bryant did would probably put them in jeopardy.

Sports will very likely be different on the other side of this, from the lowest of minors, to the highest of majors, to the highest of international sports (Olympics).

Edited by wxray1

4 hours ago, cc said:

Source and confirmation?

You'll have to investigate yourself for sources you believe but 5 sailors on the carrier docked in Guam who previously tested positive have tested positive again during the re-boarding process.  Could be they were false positives to begin with, could be terrible news...who knows.

A couple of thoughts about the idea of reinfection of people who have had the disease. 

First, if we can all get Covid again, after all antibodies have formed, then welcome to the apocalypse. This will never end. Luckily the odds of that are vanishingly small IMO. For one thing, people have gained immunity to every other coronavirus, MERS and SARS etc. For another, there are almost no viruses that we don't get at least a short term immunity to. Yes, flu mutates every year and can get around our immunity (and the vaccine too BTW), but flu still peters out every season, and the covid mutation thing is still being figured out. It's one thing for the virus to mutate, but an effective mutation would have to avoid the immune response to the part of the virus that gives us immunity. As an aside, virus mutations that survive tend to be milder than the one that it came from. Some think this is a survival strategy for the virus, which has no brain, so that's a whole bigger can of worms topic. 

But the mutation question is mostly mute (see what I did there?) because if it mattered, none of what I list below would be true. Yet it is all true. 

Sometimes in the fleury of 5 minute news blurbs that tout something that takes months to years to study, I find it helpful to take a step back, look at all available data and ask myself what is most likely? Does it make sense that this virus would not respond to our antibodies? No. It makes no sense. I'm not saying there might not be exceptions, but the overwhelming body of information points to at least a short term immunity. Why?

1. There have, until now, been no well documented cases of a person with Covid 19 having a full recovery and then getting re infected with illness. This thing has been around since December at least in China, and tested for here since at least March. There have now been 4.7 million confirmed cases worldwide. The newest navy guys are one grouping but there have been many many other groupings: Diamond Princess, Neuse Correctional with over 400 positives, several other prisons, etc, etc, etc. No mention of a repeated case of Covid. 

Could a new strain have mutated in the two weeks between negative tests on the Theodore Roosevelt and re infected the sailors. Maybe, but no. 

2. If the antibodies are not protective....why doesn't everyone die from the infection? How are they recovering? Devine intervention with 4 million plus miracles? We recover from the vast majority of viral infections. HIV is unique in that it attacks and infects the very immune cells that give us protection. Yet at least 99% of the people exposed to SARS-CoV-2 enough to make antibodies or get sick, have recovered. 

3. Although the evidence is still small in sample size, it appears that convelescent serum filled with antibodies from recovered patients can help even the sickest covid patient. I'd love to hear of any data of a moderately sick person getting convalescent serum, but if it can help people on the verge of death, that would be pretty potent. 

4. How is the number of new cases going down? Again, if the antibodies are not protective, and everyone who's had the disease is available to get it again, the incidence should just keep going up and up and up. Yet since about April 10th? Down, down, down. And generally down faster in the hardest hit areas, where non immunity should be an even worse problem since such a large proportion of the population can keep passing it around compared to places with few cases (rhymes). And this is new cases in the faces* of massively increased testing simply finding more of the cases already out there.

*keeping the rhymes going. Might be a song there.

How did Wuhan not just keep recycling this thing and it never going down? They don't have a vaccine or cure. They have antibodies though.

5. MERS, SARS and minor Coronaviruses confer at least short term (months to a year) immunity, as do by far most viruses. 

I'm just so tired of trying to get scientific data from journalists. I have read two stories on those sailors and, as always, major and obvious questions are left unanswered. How about this one: were those sailors in any way symptomatic either the first time or the second? Maybe answered somewhere, but should I have to search everywhere to find out?

I do think that there is importance in one other respect that the stories can't answer: When are those sailors contagious? Does the repeat ability to test positive mean that they are still contagious? Thing is, good luck answering that one if we still can't say that Covid antibodies confer any immunity after 4.7 million chances to show it.

So what caused these sailors to test positive again? I don't know. But much more likely a second wave of viral replication than new disease. Possibly in such a highly concentrated covid environment that these sailors were re-infected partly into their case before they had developed antibodies allowing a second wave of viral replication. Or something else that is interesting but largely not transformative to the immunity question. 

What I see also, is the same abundance of caution that is oddly present concomitant with all of the 5 minute sensationalized headlines. That is that no one wants to say that a person can't get it twice, and then be proven wrong. So the CDC keeps saying, "we don't know".

How about: We don't know how long the immunity lasts, and we don't know that everyone who has antibodies is immune, but we know that there is significant immunity short term. I think it is obvious that "We" have to know that the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who have had Covid are immune for at least a short period. But I guess we just don't want to say it out loud for some reason.  

@remkin so I have a question with regards to infectious dose. If the body receives a non-infectious dose of the virus what all can that mean for the body? Did the body catch and fend off the virus before you even knew it, creating some antibodies in the process...a sort of crazy mans way of a vaccine or does it mean the virus just failed to take hold and died on it's own? I would imagine it could go either way?

Also if your asymptomatic does that mean you didn't receive an infectious dose of the virus?