The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

The thing I'm wondering about is why someone insists on making this a political forum.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The thing I'm wondering about is why someone insists on making this a political forum.

How it is "political" to post a fact-checked, corroborated report that the country's leadership suppressed ITS OWN public health agency's recommendations to slow down, at the exact time that leadership is also saying it's important to open up quickly?

It's not political, xray. It's just the truth.

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

How it is "political" to post a fact-checked, corroborated report that the country's leadership suppressed ITS OWN public health agency's recommendations to slow down, at the exact time that leadership is also saying it's important to open up quickly?

It's not political, xray. It's just the truth.

This is a forum about hockey. To the extent COVID related stuff affects playing hockey, it’s relevant. But opinions about politicians are not relevant to hockey. And you keep posting them. I’m not going to stray into opinions about any politician, but I will just say the CDC is only looking at public health consequences of COVID. That’s it’s mission. So if that’s the only consideration, then no question we stay shut down for a long time. And in a vacuum, that’s obviously what we should do. But the economy is already wrecked, and the federal government printing more money to bail out businesses and people has negative long-term consequences. We are already seeing meat shortages, and how long will it be before that carries over to other staples? I’m pretty sure we are already looking at a serious recession if we gradually reopen the economy now. If we keep doing what we’ve been doing for months on end, we may be looking at a depression the likes of which no living person has seen. And there are public health consequences to that too. So without bashing one party or one politician, I’d just say decisions about where we go from here have to balance public health and economic concerns.

I do agree with you though, that sports are pretty insignificant right now and the NHL should just pull the plug on 2019-20. Hopefully there can be a 2020-21 season, and they should concentrate on making that happen.

6 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

But opinions about politicians are not relevant to hockey. And you keep posting them.

In case you haven't noticed, politicians are the ones making decisions about how fast and when to reopen. Our own Governor is pushing forward with Phase One reopening, despite the today's highest-ever case count in the state. That is an incremental and justifiably questionable step toward a return to "normal," including toward the return of hockey.

It's tempting to pretend that politics and the pandemic are unrelated, but that's all it is: pretending. And doing so can be as dangerous--maybe more dangerous--than the virus. If you disagree, ask any Michigan senator how they felt about having people with assault rifles in the balcony of their chamber, and then think about what prompted it. No president of any party should foment violent dissent, and if my saying so makes you uncomfortable, there's an ignore button.

Edited by top-shelf-1

J Willys probably at home resting a beer on his new gut In front of his 85” LG wearing a Dago T with a spilled pack of Bon Bons on the sofa enjoying his new life. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's tempting to pretend that politics and the pandemic are unrelated, but that's all it is: pretending. And doing so can be as dangerous--maybe more dangerous--than the virus. If you disagree, ask any Michigan senator how they felt about having people with assault rifles in the balcony of their chamber, and then think about what prompted it. No president of any party should foment violent dissent, and if my saying so makes you uncomfortable, there's an ignore button.

This certainly is a post about hockey. There’s another way of ignoring it. Peace. Out.

Several reports indicate the NHL is looking at jumping right into the playoffs to finish the season: “NHL has shifted its reopening plan from completing the regular season to heading right into a 24-team playoff field that would include a best-of-three play-in round (involving 16 teams).” 

2 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

Several reports indicate the NHL is looking at jumping right into the playoffs to finish the season: “NHL has shifted its reopening plan from completing the regular season to heading right into a 24-team playoff field that would include a best-of-three play-in round (involving 16 teams).” 

Would that be top 4 get byes? Then 24 get down to 12 and form 16 teams with the 4 bye teams? 

I guess I like that we're in, so I say use point percentage and take the top 16 teams in the league. Rank them 1-16 by point percentage. 16 plays 1, etc.

We'd be ranked #9 and play Vegas who we are almost identical to in many categories. 

Of course they'll want to get more teams in, so this will turn out to be a great year to be close but with no real chance because now, congratulations, you're in.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Would that be top 4 get byes? Then 24 get down to 12 and form 16 teams with the 4 bye teams? 

I guess I like that we're in, so I say use point percentage and take the top 16 teams in the league. Rank them 1-16 by point percentage. 16 plays 1, etc.

We'd be ranked #9 and play Vegas who we are almost identical to in many categories. 

Of course they'll want to get more teams in, so this will turn out to be a great year to be close but with no real chance because now, congratulations, you're in.

I think we’d be looking at the top 4 from each conference get a bye (top 2 in each division) The next 8 play a 3 game play-in.

Pens vs Mtl

Canes vs Florida

Tor/CBJ vs NYR

Tor/CBJ vs NYI

just speculation on my part

14 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

Got a link?

16 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

I guess this story belongs in this subset forum. Google this guy. What an a$$hat 😂

0CE1F556-0239-4A5A-A25C-4A56F5248B98.jpeg

25 years old and no brain in his head. And the Caps' statement is almost as clueless:

“We are aware of the unacceptable and offensive comments made by Brendan Leipsic in a private conversation on social media” 

As if there's such a thing as private conversations on social media. Sheesh.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

This certainly is a post about hockey.

The title of this thread is "Covid 19 Virus Inpacts Sports, NHL, Season Tix Other Impacts"

I find it interesting that you're apparently good with other participants' posts about how wrong (or not) the experts were, how it's totally safe (or not) to reopen the economy, etc. etc.--when there is absolutely no proof of any of those things. For all ANY of us knows, the scrubbing of the season and the state-imposed restrictions which followed prevented the Canes from returning from their game in Jersey to create a Raleigh hot spot. If not, there'd have been three more chances for that to happen within the week, because they were scheduled to host the Pens (and their fans, who, I'll admit, are diseased even without a virus afoot...), to travel to Buff, and to host Buff two days later.  

So, there's your hockey. Now, some "other impacts":

One of Mrs. Shelf's friends from childhood, who now lives near Buffalo, put money down on an OBX rental for themselves and three other NY couples last year--for next week. They have been told they can't get a refund of their deposit because the county is officially "open." Did the ability to say that factor into county commissioners' lifting of restrictions? Into Cooper's? Would the rental company do the same thing to renters who are in-state (i.e., who are more likely to take them to court, since attending a hearing is more convenient for NC residents)?

If you'd rather not consider/discuss such questions, that's fine. The same goes for posts about how wrong the experts were (or were not), about whether the current resident of the White House (which by the way is OUR White House) made a bad decision in demurring on WHO tests, thus delaying adequate testing right up to this moment, etc. But when you cry "politics" just because I and others are willing to consider and discuss them, you only feed the divisions that are already too widespread for our democracy's own good, and which have allowed the conviction that something called "alternative facts" actually exist to gain traction.

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The title of this thread is "Covid 19 Virus Inpacts Sports, NHL, Season Tix Other Impacts"

I find it interesting that you're apparently good with other participants' posts about how wrong (or not) the experts were, how it's totally safe (or not) to reopen the economy, etc. etc.--when there is absolutely no proof of any of those things. For all ANY of us knows, the scrubbing of the season and the state-imposed restrictions which followed prevented the Canes from returning from their game in Jersey to create a Raleigh hot spot. If not, there'd have been three more chances for that to happen within the week, because they were scheduled to host the Pens (and their fans, who, I'll admit, are diseased even without a virus afoot...), to travel to Buff, and to host Buff two days later.  

So, there's your hockey. Now, some "other impacts":

One of Mrs. Shelf's friends from childhood, who now lives near Buffalo, put money down on an OBX rental for themselves and three other NY couples last year--for next week. They have been told they can't get a refund of their deposit because the county is officially "open." Did the ability to say that factor into county commissioners' lifting of restrictions? Into Cooper's? Would the rental company do the same thing to renters who are in-state (i.e., who are more likely to take them to court, since attending a hearing is more convenient for NC residents)?

If you'd rather not consider/discuss such questions, that's fine. The same goes for posts about how wrong the experts were (or were not), about whether the current resident of the White House (which by the way is OUR White House) made a bad decision in demurring on WHO tests, thus delaying adequate testing right up to this moment, etc. But when you cry "politics" just because I and others are willing to consider and discuss them, you only feed the divisions that are already too widespread for our democracy's own good, and which have allowed the conviction that something called "alternative facts" actually exist to gain traction.

After you ill advised political rant days back that was hidden, all of your posts have a different tone. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is the way it is.  

Edited by gocanes0506

10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think we’d be looking at the top 4 from each conference get a bye (top 2 in each division) The next 8 play a 3 game play-in.

Pens vs Mtl

Canes vs Florida

Tor/CBJ vs NYR

Tor/CBJ vs NYI

just speculation on my part

That would be what I was thinking too, since that would be 4 total byes. 

Interesting though because while I'd rather have the bye than take a 50-50 chance of getting knocked out, teams coming off of series would be a very good bet for at least game one of the series vs bye teams, since they will have played at least two playoff games vs a team not having played in forever. Maybe they scrimmage the bye teams but it's still not the same. Might have been a little part of why they wanted some regular season first, to get a couple of games in for the bye teams.

While I personally think it's unfair to let say MTL in, who were 10 points (and with a game out of hand) out with no chance* in heck when this ended, the temptation to include more teams will be just too great. Basically the only teams not making it will be the flat out embarrassingly terrible teams. This in a league that already lets over half the teams in. This year 77% of the league would get into the playoffs.  

At the least they should make the top team in the play in the home team for every game, if not spot them a goal. 

*Montreal's chance at making the playoffs when it went down: 3 in 10,000. Montreal should be paying someone if they get in.

18 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

In case you haven't noticed, politicians are the ones making decisions about how fast and when to reopen. Our own Governor is pushing forward with Phase One reopening, despite the today's highest-ever case count in the state. That is an incremental and justifiably questionable step toward a return to "normal," including toward the return of hockey.

I want to say that I don't care for politics whatsoever.  I disdain party association and believe it would be beneficial to our society if political parties were disbanded.  When politicians such as Mitch McConnell start pushing for sports to be restarted on the basis of nothing more than $ being pushed into his pockets, politics unfortunately ventures into the world of sports.  When politicians make comments such as "more deaths occur on our roads than have been associated with covid19 and we don't shut roads down do we?", well one does start to wonder whether Americans are really in control of who we elect, and not outside forces.  This is about as political as I can get, so my apologies if I am crossing the line here.  Gov Chistie's comments about we need to accept death as the cost in order to start up the economy, well, Mr. Christie, can I please nominate you and your family to lead the way.

In my geographic world I have been so proud of the politicians that have lead a responsible recovery to the pandemic.  I have foregone my season tickets to the San Diego Gulls season as a cost that I am willing to bear.  Players, fans, and others working in arenas and stadiums should not be put in harms way just to line the pockets of the few and mighty.

Edited by beboplar
  • Like 1

Gary is spraying into the wind imo if he believes any type of Covid Season is doable.  On the one hand it would be (for hockey fans) a much needed pause from the '25/7' coverage of this pandemic.  On the other hand and apologies on repetitiveness, but the logistics of pulling this off are totally laughable.  Sanitize 4 stadiums then bubble wrap them? Everyone in the bubble gets tested how often vs. the negative image the NHL will garner by having a 1,000 or so tests every week for all those invited to live in the bubble vs. Joe Public who cant even get one? Will it be a see you later proposition to the families of players and entourage for 2-3 months?  NHLPA will allow players to be put at risk? And what if even one player or entourage member shows positive during this abridged season?

Bettman needs to put the bottle of JD  down.  Be a leader in a time of crisis. Call it. Hell, its questionable at this very moment if next season even begins on time.  Right now the focus should be on having a successful draft and tackling the myriad of issues with trades that took place and all the clauses involved and all the other minutia that needs resolution.  Last, how many players even want to continue? Id like to see that pole. Players are safer at home. They know it and so do the Suits. Gary is fanning on the shot here.

• Like 2

I just don't see how there can be a meaningful resumption of the season (playoffs) no matter what format would be used. Social distancing aside how do you handle international travel for players. The players are scattered all over the world. The players would need to travel even if only limited locations are used across the US/Canada border. I guess we could use one site for a playoff format.

Honestly I don't see it happening. I have moved on to next season even with its uncertainty.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, remkin said:

That would be what I was thinking too, since that would be 4 total byes. 

Interesting though because while I'd rather have the bye than take a 50-50 chance of getting knocked out, teams coming off of series would be a very good bet for at least game one of the series vs bye teams, since they will have played at least two playoff games vs a team not having played in forever. Maybe they scrimmage the bye teams but it's still not the same. Might have been a little part of why they wanted some regular season first, to get a couple of games in for the bye teams.

While I personally think it's unfair to let say MTL in, who were 10 points (and with a game out of hand) out with no chance* in heck when this ended, the temptation to include more teams will be just too great. Basically the only teams not making it will be the flat out embarrassingly terrible teams. This in a league that already lets over half the teams in. This year 77% of the league would get into the playoffs.  

At the least they should make the top team in the play in the home team for every game, if not spot them a goal. 

*Montreal's chance at making the playoffs when it went down: 3 in 10,000. Montreal should be paying someone if they get in.

The crazy thing is I like the Florida matchup for us. Mrazek seems to have their number.

BUT

everyone will be cold so, who can put it together the quickest.  

barring any injuries the play-in teams may be better suited for first round play than the teams with byes. We may seem some early wins by play in teams against the top opponents. It’ll be a battle for them to get back into it.

24 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Honestly I don't see it happening. I have moved on to next season even with its uncertainty.

Yup. There is no way the players union risks exposing guys. Bettman is showing why he got out of lawyering: He's unable to think rationally. Of course, we already knew that, given his (lack of) seriousness about ending head shots.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

all of your posts have a different tone

I beg to differ. I've always called out stupidity when I've seen it, and let y'all delete my posts if you don't like 'em. When a country reopens while cases and deaths in the very areas it is opening are still on the rise, there's just one word for it: stupid.

Rem has posted how the experts "were all wrong" because "the patients never showed up"--never mentioning the possibility that they were all right--that their advice to shut everything down is why the patients never showed up. Either way, isn't minimizing patients the whole point? 

26 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup. There is no way the players union risks exposing guys. Bettman is showing why he got out of lawyering: He's unable to think rationally. Of course, we already knew that, given his (lack of) seriousness about ending head shots.

I am not too sure.

The players and union are aware of what not getting the 400-500 million TV dollars by not playing the playoffs will do to their current and future earnings potential.

while I assume the players nixed the idea of locking themselves in one city away from family for 4 months to get through training camp 2.0, finish the season, and postseason, I believe they would do it for 2 months to finish out the playoffs and get have the playoff money get the league back into the black. In theory 2/3rds the league will be back home by week 5 of this.  Only the final 4 teams are making a big sacrifice. Also less logistics cost too.

also the sooner they do this, the more uninterrupted time they get with all of America / Canada.