The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Got a link?

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

NBC

I read—well, ok, skimmed—about six or so articles yesterday that said pretty much the same thing.  Here’s one from the NY Post for example: https://nypost.com/2020/05/07/nhl-restart-would-go-directly-into-24-team-stanley-cup-tournament/.  I don’t recall if any of them really directly cited the source of their info but it may have been from players and what they’re hearing from the League,  The Minneapolis StarTribune had this good update from Dubnyk, the Wild’s union rep https://www.startribune.com/wild-s-dubnyk-on-nhl-restart-i-m-not-interested-in-packing-up-and-going-away/570287352/ on what he’s hearing and general outlook.

• Like 1

This 24 team playoff will probably never happen, for all the reasons already talked about (read as many pages back as you wish).

However, just for the sake of the discussion (more fun to talk about than the rest of this), take the premise that it does happen...

Young teams would have a definite advantage over old teams, this layoff would not be easy for the older players to recover from.  I would like the Canes chances in a tournament like this.

They may just be planning for something that never happens, or it might. I've stuck with it happening, but I'm not saying I'd bet the house. 

NC just went into the next phase of loosening. We'll see what happens. The general environment keeps changing. My bet is that it changes fast enough for this to happen. I could be wrong. Clearly not everyone agrees. That makes an interesting discussion (for the most part). 

I maintain my prediction that it will not lead to such a big flex up that we need to re close, though we will have to endure a lot of stories about every area that has a breakout. 

BTW I have mentioned several times that the lockdowns might have flattened the curve. It would seem to be common sense that they did, though common sense is wrong surprisingly often in medicine. My point is that we flattened more than we need to in the vast majority of places, and several states that did not lock down did as well as those that did. We are in a different place than we were even three weeks ago. The biggest problem now is this thing never ending*. That's where 90% of the risk is now. Just heard a great discussion by an historian of the Spanish flu epidemic. The only lock downs they did then was cutting down on going out after work. This is an unparalleled lock down in US history. Not acknowledging that is a problem too. Anyone who says they know what the effects of that will be is fooling themselves. JP Morgan says it will be 10 years before the employment rate returns to pre virus levels. I don't know. There are multiple sides to this issue. 

* OK not "never" ending, but the end of it being pushed out so far as to get the same death rate but with economic devastation. 

NHL is also talking about 20 team format, and 16. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

OK not "never" ending, but the end of it being pushed out so far as to get the same death rate but with economic devastation. 

No worries. The citizens won’t put up with it. That includes me.  

35 minutes ago, cc said:

No worries. The citizens won’t put up with it. That includes me.  

Clearly this can't go on indefinitely. But you do realize that as of the latest polls more people felt the emphasis shoud be on saving lives vs. restarting the economy?

I'm sure the longer we're out the more the tide will turn.  But until then, are you suggesting that a vocal minority should drive policy? You say you won't put up with it; I'm curious, what's your next move if we don't open up as fast as you'd like?      

• Like 2

Polls don’t me nothin. Actions do. Restarting the economy will save lives.

• Like 1

I use my judgement and get done what I need to.  And I am an at risk individual. I don’t need government telling me what to do. And in case you are wondering I ain’t no republican. Registered as unaffiliated more libertarian than anything.

Edited by cc

4 hours ago, hag65 said:

This 24 team playoff will probably never happen, for all the reasons already talked about (read as many pages back as you wish).

However, just for the sake of the discussion (more fun to talk about than the rest of this), take the premise that it does happen...

Young teams would have a definite advantage over old teams, this layoff would not be easy for the older players to recover from.  I would like the Canes chances in a tournament like this.

I agree, young teams will have an advantage.  I also think the teams that play in the play-in series will have an advantage over those with the bye.

Will it happen?  We’ll see.  UFC has matches this weekend, NASCAR races the following week, Indy Car and the PGA in June, MLB and NBA are both looking at July.  If the NHL is shooting for an August Stanley Cup tournament, they’ll have some time to take notes on what works or doesn’t in these other sports.

14 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Clearly this can't go on indefinitely. But you do realize that as of the latest polls more people felt the emphasis shoud be on saving lives vs. restarting the economy?

Are we saving lives?  The cat is out of the bag, the virus will not go away.  It didn't go away during the strictest lockdown, so it is here to stay.  Right now, the hospitals are not overloaded in NC, so treatment protocols are occurring.  Of course, treatments will get better and vaccines hopefully appear, but that's going to be a long haul.  It is unknown if we can push enough people out to the end of the curve to take advantage of treatment improvements.  It is my personal hope that if I got this, it would be at the end of the curve when treatment protocols are best.

Polls these days are leading polls, meant to create more discord and discourse than to actually be scientific.  If all I did all day was watch the TV news, not only would I want everything closed, I might consider finding some drugs to blank my mind. 

I made a prediction about all this over two months ago in this thread on March 31.  I think the prediction still stands.  No hockey and no cup this year.  And next year's season is in serious doubt.

So even though I support limited reopening as our governor and his office propose, I also realize this probably won't be compatible with hockey.   Hockey is nothing, the limited reopening of the economy needs to go to a wider group first, as it is with the proposal.  And mass group gatherings like crowds at the arena?  It just can't happen for a long time.  Probably a year.

There's a middle ground here about the virus, we don't have to be 100% lockdown or let's bump bodies and slobber all over each other*. (BTW, the "minority" in the polls is close to 50).

UFC, NASCAR and Pro Golf are very different.  Isolation is possible to various degrees.  With team sports it is not.  A virus racing through a team could take it out of competition for weeks.  Then what?  And players won't work without their families for months.  That's clear from the interviews we've heard.  So there is no isolation in either direction.  Players can get it, and players can give it, maybe to someone vulnerable.  Just because players are young and have young kids doesn't make them invincible.  What if the kid as RA?  What if the player is type II diabetic?

BTW, let me get on top-shelf and others side on one thing: if the sports teams start saying they are doing daily 15 min rapid turn around tests on everyone, and we are NOT doing that for every congregate living/nursing home employee, then we have a very, very messed up society.  That kind of resource needs to go to the front line first.

* - bumping bodies and slobbering on each other sure sounds like fun though.  Man, I miss it.

Edited by wxray1

50 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

It didn't go away during the strictest lockdown,

This is not true. The strictest lockdowns have been roundly successful: S. Korea, Germany, Vietnam, Wuhan. 

The first two have opened back up... or had, because now there's this.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

* - bumping bodies and slobbering on each other sure sounds like fun though.  Man, I miss it.

x10,000

Quote wxray1 -  If the sports teams start saying they are doing daily 15 min rapid turn around tests on everyone, and we are NOT doing that for every congregate living/nursing home employee, then we have a very, very messed up society.  That kind of resource needs to go to the front line first.

This would really tick me off if any sports team opens back up and then tests all involved every so often.   You are correct....this would be a very messed up society if we allowed that to happen.   What really gets my goat (and this is not political) is now our Great Leaders will be tested daily.   The same ones that continue to not follow common sense protocol by being an example to us by wearing masks when in public.   The arrogance is nauseating.   And please don't bother with this is a political statement.   It is more of a statement of setting a bad example and lack of leadership skills.  Do as I say not as I do @(^_^)@ !!

• Like 1

Snuffy, won't disagree.  Some other leaders (look it up, crosses parties) have had hair cuts and been coiffed on the sly, while telling their subjects to cut their own hair.

BTW, you all know there is a BEER SALE today, right?   Socially distanced, do not need to get out of the car, no change given, etc.  I just came back, and sales were brisk.  Not sure how long it will last.  Stormy and Don Waddell were saying "hi" to everyone in line.  I figure this is a covid-19 inpact [sic] since they couldn't sell it in the area.

Storm Brew Sale!

Stop by PNC Arena on May 9th to get 24-packs of 16 oz Storm Brew for just $15!

STMs can visit us from 10-11AM and the general public sale will run from 11AM-2:00 PM or until the beer is sold out. Please enter PNC Arena property from Edwards Mill Road onto Stephen Stroud Way and remain on the road. In order to maintain a safe environment, our staff will be wearing masks and gloves and will load the product into customers’ cars.

Cash only – Exact change. Must present valid ID. No tailgating permitted.

Edited by wxray1

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

BTW, you all know there is a BEER SALE today, right?   Socially distanced, do not need to get out of the car, no change given, etc.  I just came back, and sales were brisk.  Not sure how long it will last.  Stormy and Don Waddell were saying "hi" to everyone in line.  I figure this is a covid-19 inpact [sic] since they couldn't sell it in the area.

I was there too, sales were brisk and Waddell even loaded one of the cases in my vehicle.  I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to tip him... 🤔😂

6 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Are we saving lives?  The cat is out of the bag, the virus will not go away.  It didn't go away during the strictest lockdown, so it is here to stay.  Right now, the hospitals are not overloaded in NC, so treatment protocols are occurring.  Of course, treatments will get better and vaccines hopefully appear, but that's going to be a long haul.  It is unknown if we can push enough people out to the end of the curve to take advantage of treatment improvements.  It is my personal hope that if I got this, it would be at the end of the curve when treatment protocols are best.

Polls these days are leading polls, meant to create more discord and discourse than to actually be scientific.  If all I did all day was watch the TV news, not only would I want everything closed, I might consider finding some drugs to blank my mind. 

I made a prediction about all this over two months ago in this thread on March 31.  I think the prediction still stands.  No hockey and no cup this year.  And next year's season is in serious doubt.

So even though I support limited reopening as our governor and his office propose, I also realize this probably won't be compatible with hockey.   Hockey is nothing, the limited reopening of the economy needs to go to a wider group first, as it is with the proposal.  And mass group gatherings like crowds at the arena?  It just can't happen for a long time.  Probably a year.

There's a middle ground here about the virus, we don't have to be 100% lockdown or let's bump bodies and slobber all over each other*. (BTW, the "minority" in the polls is close to 50).

UFC, NASCAR and Pro Golf are very different.  Isolation is possible to various degrees.  With team sports it is not.  A virus racing through a team could take it out of competition for weeks.  Then what?  And players won't work without their families for months.  That's clear from the interviews we've heard.  So there is no isolation in either direction.  Players can get it, and players can give it, maybe to someone vulnerable.  Just because players are young and have young kids doesn't make them invincible.  What if the kid as RA?  What if the player is type II diabetic?

BTW, let me get on top-shelf and others side on one thing: if the sports teams start saying they are doing daily 15 min rapid turn around tests on everyone, and we are NOT doing that for every congregate living/nursing home employee, then we have a very, very messed up society.  That kind of resource needs to go to the front line first.

In case it wasn't clear, I wasn't taking an intractable position against opening up, just pointing out that opinions are mixed and still leaning towards safety (although that will reverse the longer we stay locked down).  Your points on polling are well taken; one needs to look at how questrions are asked and the population responding to gauge how much credibility they deserve. I think my biggest concern is that we shouldn't be overly influenced by a handful of zealots on one extreme end or another (e.g.,  protesters with assault rifles lining a capitol balcony and ignoring even the most basic safety suggestions).   

Are we saving lives?  Great question.  I believe we probably did save lives to date by locking down, and would have saved more if we had locked down sooner.  Right now? I think that depends on how we reopen.  There seems to be an implicit assumption among some that the area under the death curve is a constant; it's just a matter of how it's distributed (with an obvious critical need to avoid overwhelming the medical system).  I don't necessarily agree with that; I hope we've learned enough during the lockdown, and better prepared ourselves, that even if the virus stays we'll be able to reduce the overall death count until we get to the point that there's a viable treatment / vaccine, even though neither will be here in the short term.   

If you look back at some of my posts you'll see that I'm not against reopening in a well planned, rational fashion; I believe I was the only one to endorse Rem's plan, lol. Sad to say, I'm less optimistic about our ability to do so today than I was just a week or so ago.  It has become pretty obvious to me that our current administration is pushing to reopen as quickly as possible but with a frightening disregard for safety.  I'll be ready to reopen when I know there are plans to protect at risk populations, and we've got sufficient PPE supplies not just for the medical community, but for the general population, as well.  I want to see plenty of cheap, disposable face masks and disinfectant wipes on the local store shelves.  I'd love to see sufficient accurate antibody testing to know just where our population is with respect to the virus.  We need to get our . . . stuff together;  just reopening and wishing covid doesn't hit too hard isn't a good plan of action, imo (not addressed to you, wx).

48 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

In case it wasn't clear, I wasn't taking an intractable position against opening up, just pointing out that opinions are mixed and still leaning towards safety (although that will reverse the longer we stay locked down).  [... much deleted since you can read it yourself]

Lake: I'm about 98.5% with you.   Too bad there isn't a game where we could met up and chat.

You know, that's part of the problem.  These days everyone pontificates on social media, which can be a terrible medium to communicate.  There's nothing like having a drink or snack or game together and chat. 

Yeah, I'm old, but the message of this song is even more appropriate today than ever, even though it is from the psychedelic era.  I actually agree a lot with top-shelf, even though he ticks me off a lot.  I bet, if we could just have some time together... Dang, that's what is so frustrating about this pandemic.  You can't even have real time together.

And you may find a friend
I knew a man that I did not care for
And then one day this man gave me a call
We sat and talked about things on our mind
And now this man he is a friend of mine
Don't be afraid of love, don't be afraid

31 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Lake: I'm about 98.5% with you.   Too bad there isn't a game where we could met up and chat.

, , ,

:cheers:

Back to cleaning beach houses. It's as if everything is back to normal. Just in the area I parked my vehicle yesterday to go clean a beach condo weekly rental there were vehicles from Delaware, Massachusetts, Ohio, New York and Texas. We disinfect these houses, but it is worrying the way the beach crowd act like nothing has or is happening.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wxray1 said:

...UFC, NASCAR and Pro Golf are very different.  Isolation is possible to various degrees.  With team sports it is not.  A virus racing through a team could take it out of competition for weeks...

This makes me think Fencing is the perfect COVID-19 sport—

You’re required to wear gloves.

You’re required to wear a mask.

And if someone gets within six feet of you, you stab them!!! 😜

• Like 5

We've been watching a few of the classic games, and surprisingly enjoyed the 1999 and 2002 games.

Mrs. and I were watching, and we couldn't help but notice all the spitting.  Still goes on today.  Talk about breaking the COVID containment rules!  Then Mrs. watches the guys grab their mouthpiece with their gloves and she stands up and yells, "no!".  It is just an automatic reaction these days.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

This makes me think Fencing is the perfect COVID-19 sport—

You’re required to wear gloves.

You’re required to wear a mask.

And if someone gets within six feet of you, you stab them!!! 😜

O.K. - This has to win some kind of award.  This is the LOL post I have read in awhile.   I can't wait for the nightmare to be over !!

• Like 4