The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

7 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think they will still have playoffs but later one.

I am not so optimistic gocanes. There's no quick fix here I don't think, and measures being taken presently are to flatten out the demand on the health care system so that it will not implode. In so doing, the hope is that medical care needs will be manageable rather than astronomic overwhelming all resources, as happening in China and Italy, apparently. Surely as the disease spreads, as all viruses do, those surviving will gain immunity, and likely the virus mutates, possibly to a less virulent form? Vaccines, which we are told will be 12-18 months becoming available, likely will be pushed thru faster, BUT since this is a NOVEL agent, we just do not know its specifics. Thus even though voluntary isolation will reduce the cases, the virus remains perhaps at lower levels, but ready to return quickly in naive, vulnerable individuals?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I am not so optimistic gocanes. There's no quick fix here I don't think, and measures being taken presently are to flatten out the demand on the health care system so that it will not implode. In so doing, the hope is that medical care needs will be manageable rather than astronomic overwhelming all resources, as happening in China and Italy, apparently. Surely as the disease spreads, as all viruses do, those surviving will gain immunity, and likely the virus mutates, possibly to a less virulent form? Vaccines, which we are told will be 12-18 months becoming available, likely will be pushed thru faster, BUT since this is a NOVEL agent, we just do not know its specifics. Thus even though voluntary isolation will reduce the cases, the virus remains perhaps at lower levels, but ready to return quickly in naive, vulnerable individuals?

This   dog poop is a freaking nightmare ! 

There you have it.  NBA suspends season due to player being positive.  

NHL consulting with experts.

It got intesting real fast.

Edited by wxray1

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think they will still have playoffs but later one.

Perhaps...hopefully the virus has some seasonal variability where it decreases during warmer weather like influenza.  It is interesting looking at the world wide spread to date, it seems currently significantly more widespread and spreading much faster in countries north of the equator, where it is winter, versus places like South America and Africa.

7 hours ago, wxray1 said:

For the lazy reader...  NBA has suspended season.  We're evaluating and will update you on Thursday.

I’m inclined to think that the NHL will suspend the season indefinitely starting today.  If the hiatus lasts more than a month, this’ll end up being an incomplete season with an asterisk in the books.

I’m going to be really bored several nights each week.  😥

• Like 1

So I'm highly confident we will get refunds/ticket exchange option. I looked at what The Sharks posted for fans since they already cancelled games at their arena, as well as what happened in NHL during lockout, plus what StubHub posted.... all point to refund, exchange, and or earning interest on your tickets while theyre held. I saw no instance or indication that a refund would not be an option. 

So... I figure they could postpone season maybe 1-2 months and still have playoffs. If this thing is still a concern at that point the season would be cancelled completely I bet. 

If it is a one month delay however - I would like to see our defense. Hamilton could come back, both goalies, Vatanen.... Pesce wouldnt make it back but we have a lot of options. 

Slavin Hamilton

Skjei Ed?

Vatanen TVR Fleury Gardiner???

11 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

So... I figure they could postpone season maybe 1-2 months and still have playoffs. If this thing is still a concern at that point the season would be cancelled completely I bet. 

If it is a one month delay however - I would like to see our defense. Hamilton could come back, both goalies, Vatanen.... Pesce wouldnt make it back but we have a lot of options. 

Slavin Hamilton

Skjei Ed?

Vatanen TVR Fleury Gardiner???

Who knows were this thing is going but the NBA suspended business because a player contracted it. We all know in the NBA fans are right on the players. The NHL could accomplish the same thing basically by removing the first 2 rows by the glass. And keeping fans away from the tunnels.

38 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

I’m going to be really bored several nights each week.  😥

for several months 😭 

Yeah, NHL might not wait any longer. If they will maybe till the first case among players. it's most likely just a matter of time to call it a season. Too bad

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

they could postpone season maybe 1-2 months and still have playoffs.

Technically could, but the teams go further in playoffs will have way less time to rest before new season kicks in.

I think the only way the season goes on is if there is a  postponement of 3 weeks or less.   anything more than that and you cancel the season.  This thing still hasn't peaked and than has to come back down.  It will likely be a couple more months of mass hysteria until it's over.  

25 minutes ago, cc said:

This is NO different than many other diseases like the season flu, H1N1 Swine Flue, Zika etc .etc.  Might as well cancel every freaking event of more than 2 people forever.  Total crock of crap.

Look.  This really sucks.  I don’t like the temporary changes we’re going to face in the coming months.  I’ve ordered my playoff tickets already and was optimistic that the Canes could make a good run.

I, too, was skeptical at first, but don’t delude yourself into think that “it’s just a bad cold” like we’ve heard others say.  Covid-19 is at least ten times more deadly than seasonal flu (according to conservative estimates) and far more infectious.  Go read reputable sources like Dr. Marc Lipsitch or Dr. Scott Gottlieb.  This new virus is nothing to mess with.

Viruses like this are graded by how lethal they are and how easily they spread.  On one end of the spectrum is measles:  it spreads like wildfire, but it’s not terribly deadly.  On the other end is rabies:  it’s not that easy to contract, but if you get it, you’re screwed by the time the symptoms show up.

Covid-19 is in that sweet spot in the middle.  Even if it doesn’t knock you for a loop, you become a carrier.  The more carriers we have, the wider this thing spreads and the more people die.   If we’re willing to go through some short-term inconvenience now, we minimize the risk of overloading our hospital capacity.

• Like 3

We had three topics going about the Covid-19 virus and the impact on sports, the NHL, Canes and season tix. I consolidated them into one topic in the Hurricane Talk category.

This way we can place our conversation in one place

Wow. Never seen anything like this. I tend to favor a combination of several factors mentioned above by others.

This is a "sweet spot" virus as magpie suggests. If it were deadlier, it would not spread as fast and draconian lock down efforts would have been done earlier. If it were not so freaking contagious, it would have spread slower. So we have a low mortality, but still substantially higher than flu, a disease that is at least 2X as contagious as flu. 

What this has created IMO, is also the sweet spot for panic, and maximum cultural effect to actual danger ratio. There is danger to be sure, but not to the level of the panic. 

So what we are starting to see yesterday is famous people we know (there have been others in other countries) contracting the disease. This hits home. Tom Hanks has it. An NBA player has it. I can only see this building as more notable people get it. Then it will move on to people in local communities getting it. It is hard to see this dying down any time in the next couple of months as pandemics take a lot longer to play out. 

I do also agree with Kjun that most likely the mass gathering bans are to slow the roll. It will not stop the spread to a wide chunk of the population, but it might slow it down a bit. As an ED doc, I'm acutely sensitive to that part. The system is already close to capacity at the top (ICU beds) and the "bottom" ED crowding. An influx of patients to ED waiting rooms and threatening the very providers that could move the volume, is one end, and overwhelming the ICU ventilators is the other end if it all hits too fast. There is definitely benefit to slowing it even a little. And that's all this will do. It does make sense as to why governments are closing down events above a certain size (1000 people, etc). To slow the roll.

Once the season goes down, it is very hard to envision it coming back up unless this thing peters out much faster than expected. 

I doubt the NHL can hold out long with the NBA down. Will they play tonight's games? Maybe, maybe not. But even if they do, probably not after that. I guess they could try the empty arena thing, but it is hard to see that going on too long before an NHL player gets it and puts the kabosh on that too.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:41 PM, snorklethebay said:

so what happens to our current season tickets/parking/food credits we have if games are cancelled or if the arenas play the games without the fans?

"Act of G-d" clause.........

My grown son is coming for a visit today. We don't see each other as often as we would like because of work and distance. Since some of our fondest memories are of attending Hurricane games as he was growing up and watching them on TV he asked if we could watch tonight's game together.  Of course I said and have been looking forward to it all week. Now I expect the game is in doubt. This may be necessary but it still sucks.

Ruh roh. 

I'm sure there is much truth as to the severity of the situation and it merrits a high level of concern. No doubt. But part of me also believes there is alot of fear mongering going on due to our societies' morbid obsession with the end of times, and zombies (for the sake of ratings).

Edited by sleekfeeder

Sure sounds like their shuttering it down. Could play tonight's games then call it, but I'm guessing they just call it. This is really pretty amazing. 100's of colleges/universities closed. Concerts too. People will be talking about this for a long long time to come.

• Like 1