The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

That's a great analogy, kjun. I can see it working on 2 levels; first, in areas where the disease is active, you might get it but not have major problems. Second, in areas where it hasn't hit hard yet, one might currently be relatively safe from contracting it at all, even without precautions, but if / when it does hit, it could spread before the "alarm" is raised and you start to take precautions.  The principle is the same, the difference being the number of empty chambers alongside the one with the bullet.    

Once again, earlier this week myself and a group of volunteers went on a trip down east (Jacksonville area this time), to do hurricane relief.  Installed a kitchen in a house flooded from Florence.  They've been waiting almost 2 years to move back!  It is my thing, a chance to help and look beyond myself, while taking a bit of risk.

But I really need my fellow citizens to help!  In general, nobody cares.  "What's a mask?"  So yeah, although I'm taking precautions, how do I know the restaurant workers who are not wearing masks are spewing virus?  And don't get me started about the seating areas.  There's definitely some disobedience with regard to seating down there.

For all I know, things are getting hot there right now and it isn't seen yet.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, KJUNKANE said:

Thank you coastal. Just a gentle reminder that this ain't your everyday flu. Yes, there are asymptomatic cases, probably lots. And there are cases with minor problems. But to me, it's almost like Russian Roulette and one never knows in which cylinder the bullet is housed? One just never knows?

x 1,000

38 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Once again, earlier this week myself and a group of volunteers went on a trip down east (Jacksonville area this time), to do hurricane relief.  Installed a kitchen in a house flooded from Florence.  They've been waiting almost 2 years to move back!  It is my thing, a chance to help and look beyond myself, while taking a bit of risk.

But I really need my fellow citizens to help!  In general, nobody cares.  "What's a mask?"  So yeah, although I'm taking precautions, how do I know the restaurant workers who are not wearing masks are spewing virus?  And don't get me started about the seating areas.  There's definitely some disobedience with regard to seating down there.

For all I know, things are getting hot there right now and it isn't seen yet.

xray, thanks for the work you do on behalf of others, and for the wisdom in this post. It is hard to understand people's complaint that wearing a mask is somehow a violation of their "personal freedom." Taking KJUN's Russian roulette analogy upthread only slightly further: Would law enforcement consider it okay to play Russian roulette out in public by spinning the cylinder and then pulling the trigger with the gun pointed at the person to whom you are serving breakfast (or ordering breakfast from)? 

While it is true that we know far too little, how can anyone seriously say it's a violation of their rights to be required to protect themselves and others from what we do know? Two of those precious few known things are (1) there is asymptomatic spread, and (2) masks and distancing are the best preventers of it.

Instead, public health officials and researchers who have confirmed and reported these things are having their lives threatened every day by people claiming the pandemic is a hoax. (Listen to the linked interview starting at 10:13, though I highly recommend the whole interview).

Edited by top-shelf-1

17 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It is hard to understand people's complaint that wearing a mask is somehow a violation of their "personal freedom."

Agree.  When in close quarters, you need to look out for your fellow man.  YOU may be the virus spewer and not know it.  Taking Russian roulette off the table, I'll offer a different analogy.    I don't like one way streets.  I'd like to go the wrong way, darn it!  And then I collide with someone following the rule.

As for restaurants.  We can't cook for ourselves since our teams are small so we can sleep at a distance.  So we can't bring a cook.  We need the restaurants.  We do take out.  But going to even get takeout you have to walk a gauntlet of sitting patrons (without masks so they can eat) to get it.  Or wait in a line with someone who spent the day at the beach lubricating with alcohol and breathing and talking loudly down your neck while waiting in line.  We like to support local businesses, but they are the crazy ones!  The national chains enforce some decent safety rules.  We're going to have to ignore the local businesses next trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

xray, thanks for the work you do on behalf of others, and for the wisdom in this post. It is hard to understand people's complaint that wearing a mask is somehow a violation of their "personal freedom." Taking KJUN's Russian roulette analogy upthread only slightly further: Would law enforcement consider it okay to play Russian roulette out in public by spinning the cylinder and then pulling the trigger with the gun pointed at the person to whom you are serving breakfast (or ordering breakfast from)? 

While it is true that we know far too little, how can anyone seriously say it's a violation of their rights to be required to protect themselves and others from what we do know? Two of those precious few known things are (1) there is asymptomatic spread, and (2) masks and distancing are the best preventers of it.

Instead, public health officials and researchers who have confirmed and reported these things are having their lives threatened every day by people claiming the pandemic is a hoax. (Listen to the linked interview starting at 10:13, though I highly recommend the whole interview).

This x 1000. Funny, I've discussed/reasoned/argued this since my late teenage years many, many years ago, that at some point, individual rights MUST give way to societal rights, Rightly or wrongly I see your point top, as a concrete example of my point that at some point, we as individuals have to accede to the greater need of our society. At the time I was 1st debating this, Louisiana was in the throes of mandating the use of helmets for motorcyclists.To those who demanded that it was their right to decide whether to wear a helmet or not, my rejoinder was that "when you crush your head in an accident, and taxpayer monies( i.e. society) have to care for you in a vegetative state for the rest of your life, society has the right to require the wearing of helmets to try to protect your head". Ergo, requiring the appropriate wearing of masks in public supersedes an individual's choice not to, as CORRECT wearing of a masks goes a long way in protecting us ALL.

PS- I emphasize CORRECT WEARING OF A MASK, as it drives me crazy to see a mask only covering the mouth( not across nose and mouth) or worn upside down with the pinch part not across nose. Recently went into a favorite restaurant and was shocked that wait staff did not wear masks!! This was the 1st night they were open. I then called over the hostess(also a favorite of ours), and asked why? The reply was the owner had talked to other owners and learned their waitresses would pull and tug at masks, so they concluded that masks DID THEM NO GOOD??? I pointed out that the masks YOU WEAR are not necessarily for your protection, BUT FOR MINE. While the materials in masks do not filter out completely "incoming droplets/aerosol particles", it will significantly absorb any "outgoing droplets". Then if there's 2 barriers(yours and mine), you've got sufficient barrier to the spread of this virus.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Hey guys do y'all know why the coach went to the bank???

To get his quarter back.

What a great audience.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your meaning here bd58, particularly in light of the seriousness of this pandemic?

Canada makes an exception to their quarantine just for NHL hockey playoffs.  Trudeau finally gave in to the pressure from the province premiers and city mayors.  I suggest their lawmakers amend their constitution to give certain unalienable rights to the sport of hockey, much as ours does for religion.

So, it is very likely the hub city will be Toronto.  Vegas is pretty much a given.  Two west cities are unlikely to make the cut due to TV times, unless the players are willing to play starting at 1 PM local time, which is perfectly reasonable if every other team gets on the same cadence.

https://www.nhl.com/news/canada-clears-three-cities-to-be-nhl-hub-in-return-to-play-plan/c-317188672

It's been out there that the NHL likes Vegas/Toronto and it seemed Vegas was a lock, but Toronto had that issue and some question about being able to maintain enough of the bubble there. Sounds like the government thing is fixed. Not sure Toronto is a done deal, but it sure sounds close.

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Canada makes an exception to their quarantine just for NHL hockey playoffs.  Trudeau finally gave in to the pressure from the province premiers and city mayors.  I suggest their lawmakers amend their constitution to give certain unalienable rights to the sport of hockey, much as ours does for religion.

So, it is very likely the hub city will be Toronto.  Vegas is pretty much a given.  Two west cities are unlikely to make the cut due to TV times, unless the players are willing to play starting at 1 PM local time, which is perfectly reasonable if every other team gets on the same cadence.

https://www.nhl.com/news/canada-clears-three-cities-to-be-nhl-hub-in-return-to-play-plan/c-317188672

Wx, are you implying that hockey isn't a religion in Canada? :P

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 9:05 AM, cc said:

I wear a mask fulltime at work and whenever I cant stay away from people.  When shopping if the store has few people I have it ready to use if I have to get closer to others and at checkout. Easy to do and just common sense. Its about others not me.   Got doc to write me an order for the antibody test.  Not likely I have had it but another piece of data.

From what I've seen, you're hit-and-miss at best on the test's accuracy.

More:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tested-positive-for-coronavirus-antibodies-dont-let-your-guard-down-11591794007

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-06-01/are-antibody-tests-accurate-no-is-the-fda-allowing-them-yes

On 6/18/2020 at 10:04 AM, KJUNKANE said:

To those who demanded that it was their right to decide whether to wear a helmet or not, my rejoinder was that "when you crush your head in an accident, and taxpayer monies( i.e. society) have to care for you in a vegetative state for the rest of your life, society has the right to require the wearing of helmets to try to protect your head".

I wrote an editorial when the same thing was being debated in PA, saying fine--but such a law must require that any biker not wearing a helmet carry with them an insurance cert stating that they own a policy covering them for any catastrophic injury, to be produced when pulled over. The bottom line:

"If they don't have it, they sacrifice the bike, which is confiscated on the spot, and they lose their license--forever. If they do have it, they're free to feel the wind in their hair... and very possibly, their brains on the pavement."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your meaning here bd58, particularly in light of the seriousness of this pandemic?

Fat Stacks doing comic relief, methinks.

It’s my understanding one NHL club has had to temporarily close its training facilities during Phase Two because multiple players and some staff have tested positive for Covid-19.
1:05 PM · Jun 19, 2020·Twitter for iPad
58m
Replying to
I believe it’s three players and two staff who tested positive. Remaining players and staff are being tested. If no further positive tests, expectation is training facility will re-open, Phase Two will continue. If there are further positive tests, well, we will see what happens.

The team in question is the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Edited by LakeLivin

37 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

"If they don't have it, they sacrifice the bike, which is confiscated on the spot, and they lose their license--forever.

Ah yes.  Cancel culture.  One strike and you are out.  The new way.  No rehabilitation possible.  And heck, your strike may even be retroactive!  We may all be making some grave mistake right now talking about hockey.  20 years from now we could all get fired for supporting a concussion producing sport.

22 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:
It’s my understanding one NHL club has had to temporarily close its training facilities during Phase Two because multiple players and some staff have tested positive for Covid-19.
58m
Replying to
I believe it’s three players and two staff who tested positive. Remaining players and staff are being tested. If no further positive tests, expectation is training facility will re-open, Phase Two will continue. If there are further positive tests, well, we will see what happens.

Not sure this is a surprise with the laissez faire attitude the governor of Florida and the beach goers of that state have taken? Not to say that the team is that way, but this disease's prevalence in an area certainly increases the risk without proper precautions?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not sure this is a surprise with the laissez faire attitude the governor of Florida and the beach goers of that state have taken? Not to say that the team is that way, but this disease's prevalence in an area certainly increases the risk without proper precautions?

Just sayin, I don't think you need the question marks in there kjun.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Just sayin, I don't think you need the question marks in there kjun.  

First, last and always, my profession requires me to be "diplomatic":ohyeah:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I wrote an editorial when the same thing was being debated in PA, saying fine--but such a law must require that any biker not wearing a helmet carry with them an insurance cert stating that they own a policy covering them for any catastrophic injury, to be produced when pulled over. The bottom line:

"If they don't have it, they sacrifice the bike, which is confiscated on the spot, and they lose their license--forever. If they do have it, they're free to feel the wind in their hair... and very possibly, their brains on the pavement."

First off the "state" only pays for those whos families can not and do not have insurance. next I suppose we will argue the causing insurance rates to rise for all of us angle. Insurance is a scam most people could buy 10 autos with the money they spend on auto insurance and never get a penny back from them. Whats next after we force people to give up riding without a helmet? Red meat kills people, so does snacks and hell we give those to the poor for free, how about liquor? The list goes on and on and of all those things not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle kills and or seriously injurers the least. 

This is from someone who rides with their helmet on even in states without helmet laws. 

Edited by Derailed75

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

And the Phillies were hit in Clearwater.   Wouldn't be surprised if the young athletes share the same haunts.  Yep.  FL has gone too laissez faire.  NC isn't too far behind from what I saw at our coast.

BTW, during this "phase," the NHL came up with these groups of cohorts for practice to limit such spread should it occur.  Wonder what they are doing off ice.  Since Gov. Ronnie opened up the adult establishments there, wouldn't surprise me if the boys were being boys.  Our Gov Roy apparently just vetoed the idea of opening bars.  I support that.  Get your beer at the restaurant.  No need to go to a place "where it rains."

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

I don't think that motorcycle helmets is a good analogy for taking responsible measures while covid-19 is active. The first puts the rider at a much higher risk. The second potentially puts not just a person at risk, but everyone that person comes in contact with, as well. 

16 hours ago, LakeLivin said:
58m
Replying to

Tampa is right across the way from Clearwater:

https://apnews.com/a1c992288e12382463b605b0f98dfa5e

13 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't think that motorcycle helmets is a good analogy for taking responsible measures while covid-19 is active. The first puts the rider at a much higher risk. The second potentially puts not just a person at risk, but everyone that person comes in contact with, as well. 

The cost of care for uninsured motorcyclists who suffer catastrophic injury is potentially borne by "everyone" too, albeit not (their) death. But it's analogous enough for me, in terms of that one person's selfish decision potentially impacting society more widely.    

Edited by top-shelf-1