The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

14 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

First off the "state" only pays for those whos families can not and do not have insurance.

Which totally supports my premise: All it says is an unhelmeted rider must be able to produce proof of insurance covering catastrophic brain injury, or they lose the privilege. It's got nothing to do with red meat, snacks, liquor, or anything else you attempt to link to it. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

https://apnews.com/4e69ef82dcc9d39b80e2dcfeecf98806

Let's do a little math: 

The fittest specimens on the planet (pro/Division 1 athletes) clustered together

+ a virus that spreads virulently in the days prior to people displaying symptoms

+ not testing those fittest specimens until they display symptoms

= WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!

• Like 1

I'm not sure they are waiting for the kids to show symptoms.  I think these were the initial start-up tests, but in any case, top-shelf, your point is well taken.

The NHL plans to test the players pretty much every day once they enter the next phases.  For the sake of playing, that will help.

For the sake of society?  Well, that's where I get a bit ruffled.  If the NHL can afford the resources to do this, they can afford to double the money and donate for frequent testing elsewhere.  Same with all the other sports.  Wouldn't it be great if they donated to a fund that can be used to test long care term workers before they step into the buildings?   NC virus spread is everywhere, but has hit the long term homes hardest.  Yesterday, Wake County announced an outbreak at Springmoor in North Raleigh.  We have many friends there and they are going through extraordinary steps to prevent this, yet it still happened.  How about a mass testing, and frequent testing of employees?  That costs money.  Here's where the rich sports teams could share and it would be a fantastic PR opportunity.

The state wants to do testing in every long term care home, but it takes time, money and resources.    Will athlete testing cause a resource shortage?  Or is it just money?  In any case, I'd like to see them partner up with these facilities.

I've mentioned this before, maybe it is a bit of a crusade.  I'm all for playing hockey.  I like their plan.  But the optics of massive, daily testing of athletes is pretty bad when the virus is decimating a vulnerable population.  Being a part of the solution to testing in our long term facilities would show good corporate citizenship.

• Like 1

I have pretty much given up on the idea that rational people make rational decisions.   What is so important about any sport that you would risk lives just for the sake of entertainment........and lots of money?   I get it - the show must go on but there comes a point when putting on the show is not only a bit risky but dangerous.  Come on NHL use some common sense here and call it a season.   Heck in 2005 we cancelled the season due to a labor dispute.   Let's go ahead and cancel this season and be safe.   This idea that  we test every player and staff every day is outlandish.   Talk about wasting time and money.    We are talking about billionaires and millionaires and even many of the staff members are probably doing just fine financially.   So it can't be about the money can it?  O.K. - I'm done.   God I wish this nightmare would go away !!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

I have pretty much given up on the idea that rational people make rational decisions.   What is so important about any sport that you would risk lives just for the sake of entertainment........and lots of money?   I get it - the show must go on but there comes a point when putting on the show is not only a bit risky but dangerous.  Come on NHL use some common sense here and call it a season.   Heck in 2005 we cancelled the season due to a labor dispute.   Let's go ahead and cancel this season and be safe.   This idea that  we test every player and staff every day is outlandish.   Talk about wasting time and money.    We are talking about billionaires and millionaires and even many of the staff members are probably doing just fine financially.   So it can't be about the money can it?  O.K. - I'm done.   God I wish this nightmare would go away !!

Snuffy, I don't completely disagree.  But let me give you a counterpoint.

Once the teams a bubbled, they are essentially doing a kind of quarantine.  One could argue this is safer to society than having all these young men out there mingling with their friends.  The stats well document that the 25 to 45 group are being hit hardest in case numbers.  (Just look at NC data.)  Much of this is behavior.  A lot of it forced on them by their jobs.  But much of it is optional.  For instance, I swung by the volleyball court here and that's the demographic playing.  Prime of life, hormones flowing, what do you expect?  If anyone on those teams had it, they all now have it.  Hard to keep a lid on it.

Second counterpoint.  We all want it to "go away."  Too far gone for that.  But we need mental health.  Diversions such as sports are badly needed.  Discussions among friends about sporting plays are badly needed.  Sport provides a boost to mental morale.

• Like 1

People don't need anything other than food, shelter, exercise, and adequate sleep to "maintain their sanity," all of which can be pursued and secured (some would argue a lot more efficiently) without the distraction of multimillionaires chasing a rubber disk around, to generate billions of dollars that will not go toward solving the crisis that caused the "pause" in the first place.

None of the people playing or running the games needs money, so I'm with xray, but I'll go a step further: Give all profits to coronavirus research--because this is unlikely to be the last one humankind will deal with--and then maybe it's justifiable. But I still wouldn't want anyone over 50 working inside "the bubble."

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

The state wants to do testing in every long term care home, but it takes time, money and resources.    Will athlete testing cause a resource shortage?  Or is it just money?  In any case, I'd like to see them partner up with these facilities.

Prisons too. NC announced this week it will test all inmates (and corrections employees) in accordance with a court order issued earlier this month. It's gonna take 60 days and cost over $3 million.

Dare County (Outer Banks) has now reinstated a mandatory mask requirement. As the beaches opened up cases of corona-virus have slowly increased although they are still very low. The worry I think is with so many tourists returning and with many places not following social distancing guidelines that cases of the virus will explode.

There are plenty of exceptions to wearing masks but in general most of us will need to wear masks inside store and in outdoor spaces where social distancing isn't possible. How this will be enforced if far from certain.

Drove a car up to MI to give to my daughter. Going to fly back today. Honestly not looking forward to this

Edited by super_dave_1

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Drive a car up to MI to give to my daughter. Going to fly back today. Honestly not looking forward to this

Stay safe guy, good luck.

8 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Dare County (Outer Banks) has now reinstated a mandatory mask requirement. As the beaches opened up cases of corona-virus have slowly increased although they are still very low. The worry I think is with so many tourists returning and with many places not following social distancing guidelines that cases of the virus will explode.

There are plenty of exceptions to wearing masks but in general most of us will need to wear masks inside store and in outdoor spaces where social distancing isn't possible. How this will be enforced if far from certain.

That's the problem isn't it OBXer. Enforcement is a non-starter in a land which exudes "personal freedom" over fellow man? Don't take this wrong, I enjoy my personal freedoms to do the things I do as much as anyone, but there comes a point that I've reached it appears, that the luxury of enjoyment of those freedoms is predicated on a society that allows them. When that society is eroded, anarchy evolves and the chaotic state erodes those very principles? Okay, enough of this soapbox.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Drove a car up to MI to give to my daughter. Going to fly back today. Honestly not looking forward to this

There's so much doctor talk here that I read MI as Myocardial Infarction.  Be safe.  Good luck.  Let us know how the plane trip went.

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

That's the problem isn't it OBXer. Enforcement is a non-starter in a land which exudes "personal freedom" over fellow man? Don't take this wrong, I enjoy my personal freedoms to do the things I do as much as anyone, but there comes a point that I've reached it appears, that the luxury of enjoyment of those freedoms is predicated on a society that allows them. When that society is eroded, anarchy evolves and the chaotic state erodes those very principles? Okay, enough of this soapbox.

I've seen anarchy occur on all sides of the political spectrum.  Each side can't see the plank in their own eye.

Edited by wxray1

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

There's so much doctor talk here that I read MI as Myocardial Infarction.  Be safe.  Good luck.  Let us know how the plane trip went.

I've seen anarchy occur on all sides of the political spectrum.  Each side can't see the plank in their own eye.

wxray, hope you didn't misinterpret my comment as "political" as it was not.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

wxray, hope you didn't misinterpret my comment as "political" as it was not.

Nah.  It is the sum of all comments last few pages, some my own.  Masks, protests, corporate responsibility, testing.  Etc.

Flying wasn't too bad today.  The only people sitting on a row with someone were people traveling together.  They didn't a good job of social distancing.  The concourse was not crowded.

• Like 1

How not to do sports.  Serbia and Croatia and the Adria tour.  Djokovic is positive https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/23/tennis/novak-djokovic-coronavirus-adria-tour-spt-intl/index.html

Djokovic was hanging with the other players, passing the microphone back and forth.  Not a mask to be seen amongst the tourists and fans hanging around and attending.  Makes TX and FL look like safety fanatics.

Edited by wxray1

In three months, we've come a long way from "Don't ask for a test unless you feel like you are dying" to "If you attended a mass protest, you can have a test".   That's from the Wake county test site.  OK.  I exaggerated.  They didn't say "feel like you are dying", they said "if you have chest pains and are short of breath, and your doctor agrees".  The protest thing is no exaggeration.  It is their exact words.

More importantly, if you've had known contact with someone positive, you are eligible for a test and should get it (and isolate until you know).  And also, if you work in health or care, you can have a test anytime.  Just have to take the initiative.   We gotta slow this down.

Edited by wxray1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, coastal_caniac said:

My cousin did that.  Screw the govt taking over our lives, he said.  Now he's dead.

31 years old.

Sorry to hear that. But he was apparently at risk, knew the risk, and made his own decision.  

On 6/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, KJUNKANE said:

.....it's almost like Russian Roulette and one never knows in which cylinder the bullet is housed? One just never knows?

Couldn't disagree more......there's about an 80% chance the bullet is in the cylinder and aimed at people over the age of 75. Healthy people are NOT dying from COVID. And, in fact, the current overall death rate for all people, including the high risk pop. is plummeting.  

2 hours ago, Altaholic said:

Couldn't disagree more......there's about an 80% chance the bullet is in the cylinder and aimed at people over the age of 75. Healthy people are NOT dying from COVID. And, in fact, the current overall death rate for all people, including the high risk pop. is plummeting.  

:facepalm2:  Just, sigh . . . 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

:facepalm2:  Just, sigh . . . 

Some people just seem to live in la-la land. Oh well, lets just ignore world wide facts and for those who believe differently, just turn back and read one of our frequent and respected poster's, coastal's, sad account of his cousin.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Some people just seem to live in la-la land. Oh well, lets just ignore world wide facts and for those who believe differently, just turn back and read one of our frequent and respected poster's, coastal's, sad account of his cousin.  

What's most sad is that despite reading coastal's account, the ignorance prevails. Perhaps the "Alta" refers to "alternative facts"...

• Like 1

Our positive test numbers have grown exponentially since this all started. Now if I ended here we could start pandemonium. Tbh a bunch of news reports leave it at that.  “Positive tests continue to rise” as an example. Scaring people.

But.....

Our testing has grown at a larger rate.  Our  positive tests percentages were going well down until about June 10th (source John Hopkins). They have risen about 2 percentage points to 5% over the last 2 weeks. That includes yesterday with a ridiculous 20+% positive day.  We’ve had a few of no positive days.

We are at 9% positive tests overall since we started (CDC).

The data says A. A lot more people had it before testing was readily available. 
B. People should tighten up right now and not allow the trend to go up. Not shutdown or seclude tighten up but be smarter than folks are right now, for grandma and grandpa’s sake. 

It also brings up some questions:

A. Is 2 weeks really all the time it takes to work itself out or does it remain dormant for a while in people?

B. Is it really that much of a concern to most folks? The numbers suggest a lot more people had than they knew about and probably still don’t with some folks.

without answers to some of these questions, opinions will vary.