The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

On 3/10/2020 at 7:45 AM, cc said:

Imagine that-  Cali doing something radical.  Seasonal Flu killed over 200 last year in California.

It did the same in NC (203), and our population is a lot smaller (see page 7 here). So... what's your point?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cc said:

The point is this is an overblown freak out.

Everyone has their opinion but I prefer to listen to doctors in the medical arena not some "expert" on a hockey forum. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Everyone has their opinion but I prefer to listen to doctors in the medical arena not some "expert" on a hockey forum. 

It’s as if...

53C0BB73-0859-41AC-B3D9-E1DF1366D36E.jpeg

• Like 1

Carolina Hurricanes' broadcaster John Forslund is under self-quarantine at his home after the team was told by a Detroit hotel that he had stayed in the same room as Rudy Gobert, who tested positive for coronavirus on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

As a scientist myself working with others for several decades, they are human and have their agendas. They are as fallible as the rest of us regardless of their degrees. Some have so much knowledge they think there is only one viewpoint. They can ignore and explain away data that does not agree with their preformed hypotheses. That is antithetical to the scientific method.  We have far too little data to make any conclusions at this point. That is why this freaking out is not supported by any semblance of reason. It’s totally reactionary.     PS I don’t claim to be an expert but I do have some relevant base of experience to draw from. 

Edited by cc

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Carolina Hurricanes' broadcaster John Forslund is under self-quarantine at his home after the team was told by a Detroit hotel that he had stayed in the same room as Rudy Gobert, who tested positive for coronavirus on Wednesday.

What rotten luck...poor Johnny!

7 hours ago, cc said:

As a scientist myself working with others for several decades, they are human and have their agendas. They are as fallible as the rest of us regardless of their degrees. Some have so much knowledge they think there is only one viewpoint. They can ignore and explain away data that does not agree with their preformed hypotheses. That is antithetical to the scientific method.  We have far too little data to make any conclusions at this point. That is why this freaking out is not supported by any semblance of reason. It’s totally reactionary.     PS I don’t claim to be an expert but I do have some relevant base of experience to draw from. 

Sorry you've become so cynical regarding your profession, cc. Although I share some of your concern, I have to say that I've long been an admirer of Anthony Fauci, agenda or not, and I pay close attention to his extremely enlightened analysis of this situation. What also was an eye opener for me in this was the fact that the Chinese doctor who was the original whistle blower "scientist" who alerted the world apparently, died from it. Wouldn't you imagine that if it's all totally "reactionary", he might have met a more appropriate fate and not succumbed to what you appear to be suggesting as overblown influenza (my characterization of course).

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, cc said:

The point is this is an overblown freak out.

I don't know what's scarier, the fact that someone claiming they're a scientist doesn't seem to understand the exponential effects of fractional differences in mortality rates; that said scientist is apparently not interested in or can't be bothered with looking at independent research indicating that mortality rate differences between this virus and seasonal flu may be much more than fractional...

A recent time-delay adjusted estimation indicates that mortality rate of COVID-19 could be as high as 20% in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.

These findings show that the current figures might underestimate the potential threat of COVID-19 in symptomatic patients.

...or that you consider exercising an abundance of caution in the face of a deadly illness about which we still know so little to be "overblown."

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cc said:

We have far too little data to make any conclusions at this point. 

Exactly! So to your point this virus cannot simply be described "This is NO different than many other diseases like the season flu, H1N1 Swine Flue, Zika etc .etc.". Each one of the above were very different in their charateristics. If you have no data how can you conclude it is overblown?  Doesn't sound like a rational scientific decision to me.

• Like 1

My best friend's an ER doc so I personally trust him and whether you the reader trusts me to relay that information to you is up to you. I know how the "well my friend" things sometime goes.

The state of Ohio, that has 3 enormous cities up until recently only had 400 test kits. How the....hell do you only have 400 tests for a pandemic you knew was coming for over a month? Top that off with the CDC requiring one of three things to allow you to be tested. 

1. Returning from an endemic area

2. Knowing you brushed shoulders with someone with the virus.

3. Critical Respiratory illness with unknown cause.

So for #2, I personally don't interview everyone I walk past. I dunno about you guys.

and 3 well your almost dead.

So our data seems really skewed and I have my hunches on why but I'll skip that. Now that testing is free and much more available we should know very soon what's going on and adjust our plans from there.

What we do have is Italy's data and their hospital system is maxed out. We can take a break from a perk in our lives (sports) to try to curb this...not a big deal. 

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 3

Anyone have a clue  for how long  it could  take  to come up with a vaccine  for this virus ?    Im assuming simple antibiotics  wont be enough to help  people recover .   

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Anyone have a clue  for how long  it could  take  to come up with a vaccine  for this virus ?    Im assuming simple antibiotics  wont be enough to help  people recover .   

Well the running joke is that some Canadian scientists the day after hockey was shutdown were onto something. All they needed was hockey shutdown to put forth full give-o-crap power.

I believe a Texas company has also moved to animal trials as well this week. I have no idea how long an animal trial runs, you'd think weeks or months. I mean sure the animal didn't immediately die but did he die a month later is a question I also want answered lol.

Off topic, I know...but now I and my military brethren can’t go ANYWHERE outside our local area starting Monday until May 11th...this includes our spouses and children.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2020/03/14/dod-bans-all-domestic-travel-for-troops-employees-in-response-to-coronavirus-threat/

Just when I thought it couldn’t get more asinine...

It’s a virus. Antibiotics don’t affect it. But don’t take this from me. Ask a doctor on Twitter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

I think the easy answer is no. I'm not a medical professional so  this is only what i read from what I hope are legitimate news and medical sources. The best guess a couple of weeks ago was it will take months to create and manufacture a vaccine. Perhaps as long as a year to a year and a half. It appears that Canadian firm has identified the virus which is a big step. I have seen where they think they are close to developing a vaccine as are claims coming from Israel and China but production will depend of regulatory procedures. Usually a new vaccine will need to undergo both laboratory and clinical trails before a production schedule is approved. 

on Thursday, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease at the National Institutes of Health, told the U.S. House Oversight and Reform Committee that human trials for a vaccine (he did not specify the manufacturer) would be possible “within a few weeks.” However, he said that a vaccine would not be available to the broader public for another 12 to 18 months.

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't know what's scarier, the fact that someone claiming they're a scientist doesn't seem to understand the exponential effects of fractional differences in mortality rates; that said scientist is apparently not interested in or can't be bothered with looking at independent research indicating that mortality rate differences between this virus and seasonal flu may be much more than fractional...

...or that you consider exercising an abundance of caution in the face of a deadly illness about which we still know so little to be "overblown."

I think it comes down to whether China is covering this up or not.  If current stats are accurate then this isn't an enormous fatality rate.  If they are covering it up and the deaths Re in the hundreds of thousands or even millions, then things get much scarier.

8 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I think it comes down to whether China is covering this up or not.  If current stats are accurate then this isn't an enormous fatality rate.  If they are covering it up and the deaths Re in the hundreds of thousands or even millions, then things get much scarier.

Fatality rate will hike once (or if) medical system reaches its capacity and especially ICU capacity. And if all ICU are occupied by Coronavirus patients then folks with cardiac arrests or severe car accident injuries would not get help.