The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

16 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

If the threat of having a bad cold wiped out the T.P. stock. I cant imagine whats going to happen when we really have a crisis.......🤧

In one of the early episodes of The Walking Dead, one of the characters was eaten by the infected ghouls because she ran out of toilet paper and had to venture out to get more.  Maybe dystopian fiction is feeding the panic! 😱☠️

• Like 1

sucks that even a hockey message board is non-stop Coronavirus talk 😕 

here's some hockey:

*and, yes, I realize this is the covid-19 thread ;)

Edited by donwalrus

Thanks rem for adding that perspective. As y'all know or probably have guessed by now, as a medical examiner/hospital pathologist, I frequently see the opposite end of the spectrum than rem. And to answer coastal as well as many others, unless people are wrapping their face up with it, I've got no clue why there's a rush on TP. Must harken back to caveman days? Portable bidets, such as a garden hose, could suffice, then we really would be reverting?

As an aside, we all ought to focus on our beloved John Forslund, and keep sending him positive energy/prayers. Do we know what day it is in his self quarantine?

Edited by KJUNKANE

13 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Portable bidets, such as a garden hose, could suffice, then we really would be reverting?

In a stroke of irony, I had a patient fall and hit her head on her bidet. She had a subdural hematoma and despite aggressive Neurosurgery involvement she died. She was on anticoagulants, which did not help. And this was not from my files, this happened last week. 

So you just never know what's going to take you out I guess. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donwalrus said:

here's some hockey:

Well, this is the only thread getting action right now... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, remkin said:

I am an ED doc. I am not an epidemiologist or Infectious disease expert, but I'm pretty much in the line of fire, so I'm keenly interested in staying up to date on this issue. Below is a publicly available discussion from the best ED continuing education service there is called EM Rap. It is aimed at ED docs, and an ED perspective. I can't say exactly how well this will be understood by non doctors, since I don't have that perspective anymore, but it seems pretty well explained. Mel Herbert is a very smart ED doc with a talent for framing issues simply and he interviews a triple boarded expert covering many issues that are of interest well beyond the ED. This video is about 50 minutes, but it covers a lot of issues.

I would add a few thoughts (of course). 

I'm thinking that the best model is probably South Korea rather than Italy because S. Korea has tested BY FAR the most people outside of China, including the walking well who have very minor disease. The actual mortality rate is not known yet, but will be below the 3% mentioned by some, and well above the typical seasonal flu. The S Korea data suggests that once we get the full denominator the number will be at or below 1%. 

Clearly this mortality is relative. Age is huge. Kids do fine. People over 80 have a 15% mortality, and add in other medical problems and the rate jumps even more. 

In the "I know a guy who knows a guy" category, one of my PA's husband has a very close friend that works extensively in China fairly close to Wuhan. He says that while the streets were once empty, now restaurants are filling back up. This does suggest that there is a wave of really bad, then eventual recovery. Of course in China they can shoot you if you disobey, so we might see something a bit different. Again, I'd look to South Korea. But even they got hit hard with no time to flatten the curve, which if we can do it, might help us.

As Mel Herbert says in the above video and the evidence shows, this is not the scourge of the Earth pandemic we are all fearing. It is serious. It will kill massive numbers of people. But the vast majority of people will do fine. In a half full glass sense, this could give us a wake up call for the big bad one. While the Covid 19 is more contagious than Flu by about 2X, it is not crazy contagious like say Measles or crazy deadly like say Ebola. It is still mostly on surfaces, and people coughing in your face. Stay 6 feet away and wash hands and don't touch your face. 

The main problem is that our system is in no way ready for "the big one" and not even ready for a "significant, but still fairly small" uptick in ICU patients. Even a fractional increase in very sick people could easily overwhelm our current system, and a slightly bigger one will overwhelm the ICU system. This is the main problem, and the big fear with this pandemic. As an ED doc, pre Covid 19, I've faced frequent times where our hospital's ICU was full and my first 3 calls to the big facilities (UNC, Duke, Wake, Rex, or Vidant) were met with "no beds" responses. This is not including any seriously sick Covid patients. There is some flex ability by using OR ventilators, but if we face too many critically ill patients in too high of a peak, well that's where Italy is. The closing of events and travel is almost entirely to prevent that huge spike in critically sick patients. They are the whole thing, because the rest are fine at home and we have plenty of homes. This is why I support all of these seemingly overreactions. 

The other thing is this. If we allow this very contagious disease to take out our front line workers, even for two weeks, then we have a secondary issue in trying to care for not only the Covid critically ill patients, but our already overcrowded regular patients. 

A vaccine will probably get here quicker than some experts are projecting, but as mentioned in the video, it's easy to identify potential vaccine compounds, but they have to be tested for safety and efficacy. Vaccines have huge variations in both. (The first shingles vaccine was about 50% effective, the newest one is over 95% effective). If the disease ends up with a .6% mortality. The vaccine needs to be much less dangerous than that and also show effectiveness. While it can be rushed, it still has to be tested. And it has to be tested in populations exposed to the disease and populations most negatively affected by the disease too. Estimates of a year are probably pretty close to right, though new techniques and more cases in the population to test, and the tendency to want to underpromise and overdeliver, lead me thinking maybe sooner. 

I agree that some treatments might get here sooner than the vaccine, but antivirals to date have a very mixed record. Tamiflu, for instance, barely does anything for typical flu patients. Treatments are more likely to be helpful for sicker patients. 

Stocking up on toilet paper is nuts. You can have all of the toilet paper, I'll take the sanitizer. (Though covid 19 can be passed fecally, so be careful in public restrooms not to touch the door on the way out after washing hands).

I have no doubt this will pass through and be done at some point. (Though its not that likely that it will die due to summer temperatures). There will be herd immunity at some point. How much damage can we mitigate during the worst part? That's what all of the fuss is about. Unless of course you are an 85 year old diabetic, COPD patient. Then the fuss is about you.

For most of the rest of us:  Wash your hands. Don't cough in my face. Don't touch your face. Wash your hands again. 

First Rem megapost that I have fully read.

Thanks

• Like 2

11 hours ago, donwalrus said:

here's some hockey:

All the info on the Coronavirus is interesting, but this lifted my spirits more than anything in the last few days. Outstanding!

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

So would YOU recommend Marley? 

Might as well go out happy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

All the info on the Coronavirus is interesting, but this lifted my spirits more than anything in the last few days. Outstanding!

Well, if you want to laugh til you cry, then here’s another good video from a few weeks ago:

I will be laughing at this for DECADES 

Regular season games are likely gone with no information yet on possible refund for unplayed games, but the Hurricanes Organization made sure to charge my credit card for next year's games today.

Thank you for keeping the economy going!  Glad I could do my part, TD and co.  🤑

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Regular season games are likely gone with no information yet on possible refund for unplayed games, but the Hurricanes Organization made sure to charge my credit card for next year's games today.

Thank you for keeping the economy going!  Glad I could do my part, TD and co.  🤑

I need to check my card activity, too.  Doing our duty to help the Canes’ cash flow I suppose.

I think the 2019-20 season—including the playoffs—will be scratched entirely.  I don’t see much movement on that front until mid-May at the earliest and by that point, they’re thinking about the 2020-21 season.  We can just chalk this up to a once-in-a-generation event that will be talked about in history books.  In the meantime, I hope everyone stays well and prosperous while we wait this out.

That said, I’m hungry right now, but I don’t want to start into my supply of Vienna sausages yet.  🤣

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Hate to sound cynical about this, but am feeling it. How else do you think they'll pay the part time workers? Has not been deducted from my account, but I've paid the 1st round of playoffs AND set up for 4 installments for next STH season? Am I not stupid?

50 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Hate to sound cynical about this, but am feeling it. How else do you think they'll pay the part time workers? Has not been deducted from my account, but I've paid the 1st round of playoffs AND set up for 4 installments for next STH season? Am I not stupid?

Yes, you were very foolish!  How did you not anticipate a worldwide pandemic that would put all pro sports on hold? ;)

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Players were just informed they could return to wherever home is pending flight availability.

Since Canada just said "Get home now, we're closing the border soon," this was a necessary step.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm on the 10 payment plan, so perhaps that's why mine went thru.  One of many more to come.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Yes, you were very foolish!  How did you not anticipate a worldwide pandemic that would put all pro sports on hold? ;)

Right!

Seriously, I do hope the organization gets clarity on this.  I'm not pushing back too much, mostly just giving TD a little good-natured ribbing.  However, they will have to figure this out soon.  I'm sure they are meeting about this now (probably remotely, over phone, I hope) discussing this among many matters.

The NHL will have to play a part too so that the franchises can move forward.  None of this is easy.  I had to cancel an event I organized for 2 weeks from now, which people paid money for.  I get it, it is complicated.  Money will be lost.  Look, just about everyone is going to have to share in some pain here.  We're all gonna get hosed by this event to some degree or another.

We'll be telling our grandchildren about the "Covid Years" or whatever, just like my Grandmother talked my ear off about both WWI and the great depression.

Edited by wxray1

25 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Since Canada just said "Get home now, we're closing the border soon," this was a necessary step.

I wonder if Canada is planning on building a wall?  :lol:

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

My word for the entire mess is Bamboozled.  I feel completely Bamboozled out of toilet paper and no hockey.   Hmmmm, well I wont say any more.....