The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
magpiemaniac

Covid 19 virus inpacts sports, NHL,Season Tix other impacts

Regular season games are likely gone with no information yet on possible refund for unplayed games, but the Hurricanes Organization made sure to charge my credit card for next year's games today.

Thank you for keeping the economy going!  Glad I could do my part, TD and co.  🤑

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Regular season games are likely gone with no information yet on possible refund for unplayed games, but the Hurricanes Organization made sure to charge my credit card for next year's games today.

Thank you for keeping the economy going!  Glad I could do my part, TD and co.  🤑

I need to check my card activity, too.  Doing our duty to help the Canes’ cash flow I suppose.

I think the 2019-20 season—including the playoffs—will be scratched entirely.  I don’t see much movement on that front until mid-May at the earliest and by that point, they’re thinking about the 2020-21 season.  We can just chalk this up to a once-in-a-generation event that will be talked about in history books.  In the meantime, I hope everyone stays well and prosperous while we wait this out.

That said, I’m hungry right now, but I don’t want to start into my supply of Vienna sausages yet.  🤣

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Hate to sound cynical about this, but am feeling it. How else do you think they'll pay the part time workers? Has not been deducted from my account, but I've paid the 1st round of playoffs AND set up for 4 installments for next STH season? Am I not stupid?

50 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Hate to sound cynical about this, but am feeling it. How else do you think they'll pay the part time workers? Has not been deducted from my account, but I've paid the 1st round of playoffs AND set up for 4 installments for next STH season? Am I not stupid?

Yes, you were very foolish!  How did you not anticipate a worldwide pandemic that would put all pro sports on hold? ;)

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Players were just informed they could return to wherever home is pending flight availability.

Since Canada just said "Get home now, we're closing the border soon," this was a necessary step.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm on the 10 payment plan, so perhaps that's why mine went thru.  One of many more to come.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Yes, you were very foolish!  How did you not anticipate a worldwide pandemic that would put all pro sports on hold? ;)

Right!

Seriously, I do hope the organization gets clarity on this.  I'm not pushing back too much, mostly just giving TD a little good-natured ribbing.  However, they will have to figure this out soon.  I'm sure they are meeting about this now (probably remotely, over phone, I hope) discussing this among many matters.

The NHL will have to play a part too so that the franchises can move forward.  None of this is easy.  I had to cancel an event I organized for 2 weeks from now, which people paid money for.  I get it, it is complicated.  Money will be lost.  Look, just about everyone is going to have to share in some pain here.  We're all gonna get hosed by this event to some degree or another.

We'll be telling our grandchildren about the "Covid Years" or whatever, just like my Grandmother talked my ear off about both WWI and the great depression.

Edited by wxray1

25 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Since Canada just said "Get home now, we're closing the border soon," this was a necessary step.

I wonder if Canada is planning on building a wall?  :lol:

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

My word for the entire mess is Bamboozled.  I feel completely Bamboozled out of toilet paper and no hockey.   Hmmmm, well I wont say any more.....

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I just have time think at this time, we are hoping for hockey at the start of next season.

Me, too.  I’m in the middle of a book on the Black Plague—apropos reading I suppose—and when you consider how long that and the Spanish Flu took to burn out, I have this fear about how far into the future this all plays out.  Ugh.

40 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Me, too.  I’m in the middle of a book on the Black Plague—apropos reading I suppose—and when you consider how long that and the Spanish Flu took to burn out, I have this fear about how far into the future this all plays out.  Ugh.

Different times. During the plaque they did not even know what bacteria were. The 1st vaccines were not produced until several years after the Spanish flu.  But we will see.

23 minutes ago, cc said:

Different times. During the plaque they did not even know what bacteria were. The 1st vaccines were not produced until several years after the Spanish flu.  But we will see.

Speaking of which...  The head doctor dude today announced that the first person to get a trial of the vaccine in development got an injection today.  I can't even imagine being first trial for something like that.  Hope they are well paid.

Edited by wxray1

10 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Yep. I knew it was coming today but hoped against hope they’d admit the season is toast and use what was left.

if nothing else, it missed my card closing so I won’t need to pay for it until May.

6 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I'm on the 10 payment plan, so perhaps that's why mine went thru.  One of many more to come.

Right!

Seriously, I do hope the organization gets clarity on this.  I'm not pushing back too much, mostly just giving TD a little good-natured ribbing.  However, they will have to figure this out soon.  I'm sure they are meeting about this now (probably remotely, over phone, I hope) discussing this among many matters.

The NHL will have to play a part too so that the franchises can move forward.  None of this is easy.  I had to cancel an event I organized for 2 weeks from now, which people paid money for.  I get it, it is complicated.  Money will be lost.  Look, just about everyone is going to have to share in some pain here.  We're all gonna get hosed by this event to some degree or another.

We'll be telling our grandchildren about the "Covid Years" or whatever, just like my Grandmother talked my ear off about both WWI and the great depression.

I have no kids but my mom is feeling pretty good about all those years she took extra napkins with take out. 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I wonder if Canada is planning on building a wall?  :lol:

Building a wall is your thing :P

BTW, borders are closed for non-citizens/non-residents with exception of the USA folks

3 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

, I have this fear about how far into the future this all plays out.  Ugh.

Even it's just March, I am currently not sure about next season, though as Rem (?) said China is recovering, but they took very quick and very strict measures.

22 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well, if you want to laugh til you cry, then here’s another good video from a few weeks ago:

I will be laughing at this for DECADES 

Agreed. This is a classic for the ages. The Hurricanes should post it on their website for eternity. All the better because it was the Leafs.

Caniac514, I agree with you that the likely best case scenario is being able to start next year on time. The NHL is now saying a restart would happen in late May at the earliest. Even if they start then, unless they cancel the rest of the regular season, the playoffs as regularly played would likely last well into July. And if they just anoint the 16 teams in playoff position when they stopped playing, it would get the Canes in but leave out teams that left off a point or two out, possibly with games in hand.,Maybe they could shorten playoff series to best of 5, but if they do, no one except the winning team would consider the outcome legitimate. Hockey is such a tradition bound sport. Finishing playoffs in July and starting trading camp 2 months later gives those players who make it to the finals very little time to recover and recharge for a new season. This has all been so sudden and overwhelming, but the best I think they can reasonably do is tart next season on time. And I don’t think that anywhere near guaranteed.

• Like 1

Again, not an epidemiologist. Trump let it out that they are modeling worst case to go into July or August. China was the epicenter and start of it all and initiated pretty draconian measures once they were outed. Our attempt to flatten the curve would also widen the curve, pushing the tail out farther. This is where I think it's going to be tough to give the "all's clear" signal in time for playoffs probably. But really, who knows? 

We are now told to limit gatherings to 10 people, and not go to restaurants. San Francisco is now sheltering in place. I went out and bought food and supplies today which I thought unnecessary just a few days ago. I asked my wife what to get. She asked me to get toilet paper. There were about 6 packs left. Packs of 4. Limit one per customer. And most places had none. Maybe the TP hoarders were right. I'm kidding. Sort of. 

I'd put the odds of playoffs at less than 50-50. But really at this point, who knows? 

We'll have a better team next year either way. 

14 hours ago, cc said:

Most of us are aware of that.  Regardless, recent modeling by a large team of researchers at Imperial College suggest that the Covid-19 pandemic could go on much longer than the April or May peak that the more optimistic models show.  As social distancing and other measures are relaxed, it’s possible that a second wave worse than the first could emerge in the fall.  According to the researchers, we might find ourselves in a cycle of waves for the next 18 months or until a vaccine is released widely.

At this point, aliens could attack us overnight and I’m not sure I’d bat an eye.

Edited by magpiemaniac
  • Like 1

Developing effective treatment seems the pressing short-term need.  If effective treatment becomes available that reduces the mortality by a significant percentage, say toward that of a bad-bad flu season, social restrictions should ease.  I’ve read a lot about progress on vaccines, the ultimate preventative solution, but not much on progress on effective treatments for those with the bug unless I’ve missed it.

Denver Post

Bettman, “There is an outside date beyond which nothing makes sense for anybody to save this season

Although it is unclear what the drop dead date is the NHL appears to be considering the possibility

Spectors Hockey

SPORTING NEWS: The league is said to be considering a 24-team playoff format among its options.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: That would mean clubs with slim playoff hopes, such as the Montreal Canadiens and Chicago Blackhawks, would qualify. I prefer a 20-team format involving clubs jockeying for wild-card berths at the time the schedule was paused. 

You can't get there from here!

Dare County just announced that access to the bridges into the county will be closed to all non-residents or workers beginning at 2PM. The remote Outer Banks just got remote again.