The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
beboplar

Seattle Expansion Draft

With the season "paused", I got to thinking about whom the Canes might protect in the 2021 Seattle expansion draft.  My understanding is that they have the option to protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie OR 8 forwards/defensemen and 1 goalie.  If he remains with the team Jordan Staal must be protected, that is a given.  Several players become free agents after the conclusion of the 2021 season, including Hamilton, Dzingel, McGinn, Martinook, Petr, Reimer (?), and Ned.  I am unclear about some of the young players and whether they are exempt.  According to Capfriendly, these guys are NOT exempt:  Svechnikov, Foegele, Bean, and Geekie.  Necas is exempt.  Is that everyone's understanding?  If they are to be free agents, does the team not sign them to extensions ahead of time so that they don't need to protect them or is that too big a gamble?  

Who should be protected?  Obviously, Staal, Aho, Turbo, Slavin, and Pesce.  If Svechnikov is not exempt, then he must also.  Fleury has played well enough to earn a new deal and I think he'd have to be considered.  Are Trocheck, Nino, and Brady guys they would expose.  Where do Foegele and Geekie fall in this mix?

Thoughts?

Well if we have a rest of this season and next to get a feel for our guys I would say anyone high priced and underperforming would not be protected whether or not they are valuable. Guys like Nino on this years roster, while I dont think he was a trade or cut type player I feel he "did a lot of things right" truth is his number underwhelmed. So guys not bringing value for their cap but would be left open in hope Ronnie does us a favor and clears us cap space. Anyone on an elc unless they are just useless would be protected and then of course the starts would be protected

Protect Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton if he is re-signed beyond 2021. Among forwards, Aho, TT, Svech and Jordan are givens. As of now we don’t have a goalie under contract for 21-22. My understanding is we have to expose at least one, so my guess is whatever else we do about goaltending, we sign Ned or Forsberg to expose in the draft. Then it’s not so expensive to keep either of them in Charlotte if they aren’t ready to play for the Canes. RF knows most of our personnel so I look for him to take a young player with upside. Bean or Geekie come to mind, but if Brady or Trocheck could also be in his crosshairs. The 3 remaining players we can protect no doubt will be determined by how guys play next year, assuming there is a season. Fortunately we have a lot of prospects who could be ready after next year, and Ron can only take one player. A lot of moves building next year’s team will be affected by how we plan for the draft.

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Protect Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton if he is re-signed beyond 2021. Among forwards, Aho, TT, Svech and Jordan are givens. As of now we don’t have a goalie under contract for 21-22. My understanding is we have to expose at least one, so my guess is whatever else we do about goaltending, we sign Ned or Forsberg to expose in the draft. Then it’s not so expensive to keep either of them in Charlotte if they aren’t ready to play for the Canes. RF knows most of our personnel so I look for him to take a young player with upside. Bean or Geekie come to mind, but if Brady or Trocheck could also be in his crosshairs. The 3 remaining players we can protect no doubt will be determined by how guys play next year, assuming there is a season. Fortunately we have a lot of prospects who could be ready after next year, and Ron can only take one player. A lot of moves building next year’s team will be affected by how we plan for the draft.

Hamilton's deal runs out in tune with the expansion.  If they are going to extend anybody it should be Svechnikov.  I suspect teams work out deals with free agents they intend to sign behind the scenes whereupon there is a financial incentive to the player not to sign elsewhere that allows the player to be exposed, such as Hamilton.  Ronnie is intimately familiar with the likes of Fleury, Bean, Foegele, Geekie, etc., and would be more than willing to snatch one of them.

Forwards: Svech, Turbo, Aho, Staal

Defense: Slavin, Pesce, Skjei

Maybes:

Hamilton: is he willing to take a cheaper deal this off-season? If so, sign one and lets get him under contract. If not sign a deal expansion draft +1 day.

Fleury: the guy has really turned it on.  Maybe we sign him to a cheaper deal this off-season, maybe he is an excellent trade piece. 

Bean: does he get his shot? How well does he do?

Trocheck: does he turn it around next season?  If not, losing him in the draft isnt that big of a deal.  If so, protect him and get one more year of cheap 2C until its Necas' spot.

Foegele: if he becomes a 2nd line energy guy next season then keep him.  If he looks like a 4th liner that plays well against Canadian teams then expose him

Geekie: what is he like next season?  Haula-light?  Sure protect him.  If not, I doubt Francis grabs him.

Ned: is he Mrazek? is he not?

Exposed if still on the roster:

Gardiner (please, please, please pick him)

Nino (got us into the playoffs last season but a drag since)

Helvig

UFAs:

McGinn

Dzingle

Mrazek

Reimer

Martinook

RFAs:

Helvig

Ned

Geekie

Bean

Svech

Exempt:

Keane

Necas

Bokk

non svech 2018 draftees

2019 draftees

2020 draft

If I ran the show:

Offense: Svech, Turbo, Aho, Staal, Trocheck, A top 6 winger we sign / trade for this offseason, and 1 lower half roster forward (foegele/Geekie/etc)

Goalie: Ned (unless we make a move this off-season)

Re-sign Hamilton the day after the draft

Nino and Gardiner are well gone off the roster this off-season

Offense we expose one of Geekie/Foegele, other older Checkers

Defense we expose Gardiner, if still around, Kaski, and Bean/Fleury, if still around

Goalie we expose Helvig.

Edited by gocanes0506

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If I am running the show:

Maybes:

Hamilton: is he willing to take a cheaper deal this off-season? If so, sign one and lets get him under contract. If not sign a deal expansion draft +1 day.

Fleury: the guy has really turned it on.  Maybe we sign him to a cheaper deal this off-season, maybe he is an excellent trade piece. 

Trocheck: does he turn it around next season?  If not, losing him in the draft isnt that big of a deal.  If so, protect him and get one more year of cheap 2C until its Necas' spot.

Foegele: if he becomes a 2nd line energy guy next season then keep him.  If he looks like a 4th liner that plays well against Canadian teams then expose him

Geekie: what is he like next season?  Haula-light?  Sure protect him.  If not, I doubt Francis grabs him.

Helvig

UFAs:

McGinn

Dzingle

Mrazek

Reimer

Martinook

RFAs:

Helvig

Ned

Geekie

Bean

Svech

Exempt:

Keane

Necas

Bokk

non svech 2018 draftees

2019 draftees

2020 draft

If I ran the show:

Offense: Svech, Turbo, Aho, Staal, Trocheck, A top 6 winger we sign / trade for this offseason, and 1 lower half roster forward (foegele/Geekie/etc)

Defense we expose Gardiner, if still around, Kaski, and Bean/Fleury, if still around

Goalie we expose Helvig.

Smart move  by not signing   Hamilton since he would be a ufa .   However  it is possible  that  if Hamilton did get picked  by seattle   that Hamilton   would sign with them  before  july 1st . 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Maybes:

Helvig

UFAs:

McGinn

Dzingle

Mrazek

Reimer

Martinook

RFAs:

Helvig

Ned

Geekie

Bean

Svech

Exempt:

Keane

Necas

Bokk

non svech 2018 draftees

2019 draftees

2020 draft

If I ran the show:

Goalie we expose Helvig.

Pretty much agree, except that if Fleury continues on this path then I would protect him ahead of Skjei.  Fleury is a much better dollar Value and the team can use that money to re-sign Hamilton the next day if one of the $ guys are selected such as Gardiner, Skjei, or Nino.  Ronnie will probably not, though, and pick from Geekie, Foegele, and Bean in this scenario.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

Pretty much agree, except that if Fleury continues on this path then I would protect him ahead of Skjei.  Fleury is a much better dollar Value and the team can use that money to re-sign Hamilton the next day if one of the $ guys are selected such as Gardiner, Skjei, or Nino.  Ronnie will probably not, though, and pick from Geekie, Foegele, and Bean in this scenario.

1. I don’t see us trading a first rounder for Skjei to have him plucked in the expansion draft 

2. Ronnie may not choose a more expensive option. to minimize cap hit, I would like us to explore moving both Nino and Gardiner this off-season to avoid being stuck with both.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

1. I don’t see us trading a first rounder for Skjei to have him plucked in the expansion draft 

2. Ronnie may not choose a more expensive option. to minimize cap hit, I would like us to explore moving both Nino and Gardiner this off-season to avoid being stuck with both.

1. If Skjei did get plucked, it would be after 1 1/2 seasons of service on the Canes.  A lot depends on how Fleury's game develops in the next year.

2. I agree moving Gardiner and Nino would clear dollar space to extend Svechnikov and keep Hamilton, so if those moves happen I would be pleased.  That said, don't forget the price for Nino was Victor Rask, so don't expect anything in return.  Also, the Leafs tried unloading Gardiner for as long as the Canes tried dealing Faulk.  Neither of their contracts represent good value, so hats off if DW can achieve trading them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, beboplar said:

1. If Skjei did get plucked, it would be after 1 1/2 seasons of service on the Canes.  A lot depends on how Fleury's game develops in the next year.

2. I agree moving Gardiner and Nino would clear dollar space to extend Svechnikov and keep Hamilton, so if those moves happen I would be pleased.  That said, don't forget the price for Nino was Victor Rask, so don't expect anything in return.  Also, the Leafs tried unloading Gardiner for as long as the Canes tried dealing Faulk.  Neither of their contracts represent good value, so hats off if DW can achieve trading them.

I doubt it .   Gardiner   is  "considered "    a offensive defense man  and   the way the game is changing  where defense men are now being implemented more into a offensive scheme  i dont think to many buyers are looking at Gardiner as a viable  option for that  .

Nino i could easily see being  traded for another player , doubt we could manage  to get   something better in return   because  his value dropped off big time   this year  but he could still be an option for  a team . 

Just some general thoughts. 

1. Hamilton needs to be signed at some point. He is the rarest of breeds and he likes it here. He is worth it. He is Norris level. He was +30 when he went down. Every team needs that guy. Put Hamilton and Slavin as two elite D men and the rest of the D can be figured out. Not sure how to time this, but sure he needs to be part of the long term plan.

2. The über core up front is Aho, Teravainen, Svech, and Necas. Clearly Rod would add Staal, but I would not add this year's Staal. I know he has the NTC. But I do wonder if he's be up for a trade. I'm sure he's grown to like Raleigh, but he came here for Eric. I know he's the captain, but I wonder if that's so important to him. 

3. As to Foegele and Geekie, I'd try to keep both. We have gutted out most ready AHL forwards. While we have 5-6 potential high end NHL prospects coming up, most of them need 1-2 more years of seasoning. Geekie is currently our only somewhat exciting AHL forward prospect. We traded all of the others to keep Geekie.  So keep Geekie. Foegele is progressing and is that kind of guy you want to have on your team. He actually made a big step forward this year: Projected over 82 games:

2018-19: 11 goals, 16 points, -17

2019-20: 16 goals, 36 points, +9

He is easily a 20 goal, 40 point player. That is actually pretty high end. That is top 6 and actually slightly above average second line. The you get all the grit.

4. We have too many LHD. Slavin, Skjei, Gardiner, Fleury, Bean. I'm assuming we jettison Gardiner, but someone has to go. I would not move Fleury. We already have an expensive D. The one potential upside of holding Fleury back all of these years is getting him on a longish cheap deal. Slavin is a never trade. But I think we need to get Bean a look too. I'm thinking someone is on their off side. Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce/Skjei/Fleury/Bean with probably Fleury on his off side. If we leave Fleury out there...well Francis did draft him and Bean too. 

5. I want to see what we can get out of Trochek, but I guess it will depend on how next season goes. If he gets back to form we probably need to protect him. 

The good news to me is that we have next year to sort it out. Who is part of this thing and who's not. If Foegele has a McGinn type drop back in production, then he's off the protected list. If Trochek pulls a Nino no show next year, then he's off it too. Can Geekie surge and claim a 3C slot? How does Fleury look and more importantly how do we get a good look at Bean? Etc. I can't say this far out. We're probably going to either lose someone good, or trade something to avoid it. 

We have a lot of potentially excellent players. I guess next year we find out who in that mid range is for real.