The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

How would you format playoffs if they happened?

So, here's one format proposal to handle going right into playoffs if somehow there is time for that, and no regular season games. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/24-team-stanley-cup-playoff-133809607.html

This has a series of "play in" games to determine the WC spots and the non WC teams wait. Obviously having to win 2 or 1 extra games is a big disadvantage for the play in teams, but ironically a big advantage to the play-in winners having played 1-2 games before their series with the waiting team. But also the original play in team would have that advantage over the waiting team for them also. 

My big problem with their plan is expanding the playoffs ends up including very non deserving teams. Montreal ended the season with a .03% chance of making the playoffs: 3 in 10,000. But they could easily get to the second round given the advantage of having played then facing teas that haven't played in forever. 

If you feel like a CoVid distraction. How would you set up a playoff-only scenario?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

My big problem with their plan is expanding the playoffs ends up including very non deserving teams. Montreal ended the season with a .03% chance of making the playoffs: 3 in 10,000. But they could easily get to the second round given the advantage of having played then facing teas that haven't played in forever.

Well, I don't know the answer.  But I don't like play-in games in hockey after a lay-off.  "Momentum" is overrated when everyone is playing, but it is real thing if you get game action play ahead of other teams who have been sitting on their hands for 3 months and are cold as ice.  Talk about hands of stone?  How about hands of diamond-ice.

• Like 1

That's terrible.  IF I were to incorporate play-in games I sure wouldn't do it like that.  

First off, he orders teams based on points, not points percentage.  With an imbalance in games played the fairest way to order teams is points percentage.

Second, why give the top 3 teams in each Division a bye but not the 2 wild card teams?  Toronto is only 3 points up on Florida, who has a game in hand.  At the point the season was paused, Toronto was no closer to ensuring a playoff spot than the Canes or Isles.  Even more so out West; Calgary over Vancouver or Nashville. 

Third, you're going to make some teams play two more rounds than other teams who have worse records?  Really, lol?  

IF you were going with play-in games to accommodate the teams that were out but close to qualifying, give only the top 2 teams in each Division a bye and let the next 8 teams in each Conference go one play-in round.  At least there's a little separation between the top 2 spots and the rest in each Division.    

I have spoken, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Personally I think a 24 team playoff would be a joke 77% of teams get into the mix. Teams with no chance in heck of getting in when the season ended could win the cup. Wondering how that would go down? Not well IMO.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Personally I think a 24 team playoff would be a joke 77% of teams get into the mix. Teams with no chance in heck of getting in when the season ended could win the cup. Wondering how that would go down? Not well IMO.

Well- Not sure but this might allow a canadian champion(with an asterisk)

Oops, first posted this over in the Covid 19 thread.

I'd do it based on the distribution of winning percentages, It takes into account and rewards team accomplishments to date, and it doesn't penalize teams that are currently out of a playoff spot but that would have had a realistic chance of making it.  I took a look at current points percentage while "blinded" to try to minimize team related biases.    

For Conference 1 it's clear that there are 11 teams that should be in the mix.  There's also a pretty clear distinction between the top 5 performing teams in the conference (bold italics) and the next 6 teams.  The top 5 teams in the Conference qualify for the playoff, which they earned and were almost certainly going to do anyways.  The next 6 teams participate in a "play-in" game with the 3 winners joining the 5 automatic qualifiers.  That seems fair in that all six of those teams were in a very tight race to qualify, with none being at all close to guaranteed.  The bottom six qualifiers have one extra series (5 or 7 game), but that replaces the regular season games (and playoff races) that get canceled.        

Conference 1      

Div 1           Div 2    

.652           .714

.645           .657   

.623            .579

.596             .565 

.588             .500

.579             .493

.564             .437

.493             .275

Conference 2 sets up very similarly with 5 teams in a tier above the rest of the Conference and with 5 more teams below them very closely grouped together.  Allowing the 11th team in (at a .529 win %) to make the playoff structure work introduces just a tiny bit of "unfairness", but much less than any other structure I can think of.     

Conference 2      

Div 1           Div 2    

.662           .606

.657           .585   

.594            .565

.565             .564 

.563             .529

.558             .472

.514             .457

Edited by LakeLivin

3 hours ago, cc said:

full image

THIS! And if time constraints (calendar) are an issue issue, make the first two rounds a best of 5 and the ECF and SCF best of 7. 

Here's what the "points % distribution" playoff would look like.  (I did give the teams in the top spots in each Division the top 2 seeds in their Conference)

751204989_EasternConf.thumb.jpg.f3dae2bdfe00f2eae7d124911903561d.jpg

484240857_WesternConf.thumb.jpg.329c63d0d052ca7b6774401fcf181211.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin