The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

The Lighter Side of Lockdown

It is interesting to find out what people on here do for work or hobbies. This lack of much meaningful hockey talk in this unusual situation seems to allow for putting this thread here. 

Who knew Top and bepolar are master craftsmen? Or that hockeybaby runs a cleaning agency? 

This area is for anything non hockey, non medical covid, and non political.

Any relatively clean jokes, lighter covid or lockdown stories or observations. Sharing interests from work to hobbies. 

We're all in some sort of lockdown anyways. Might as well have a spot for something less intense than the latest pandemic numbers. 

My brother forwarded this to me. Just to get things started. Not the best ever, but the idea.

My Self-Isolation Quarantine Diary 

Day 1 – I Can Do This!! Got enough food and wine to last a month! 
Day 2 – Opening my 8th bottle of Wine. I fear wine supplies might not last! 
Day 3 – Strawberries: Some have 210 seeds, some have 235 seeds. Who Knew?? 
Day 4 – 8:00pm. Removed my Day Pajamas and put on my Night Pajamas.
Day 5 – Today, I tried to make Hand Sanitizer. It came out as Jello Shots!! 
Day 6 – I get to take the Garbage out. I’m So excited, I can’t decide what to wear. 
Day 7 – Laughing way too much at my own jokes!! 
Day 8 – Went to a new restaurant called “The Kitchen”. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have No clue how this place is still in business. 
Day 9 – I put liquor bottles in every room. Tonight, I’m getting all dressed up and going Bar hopping. 
Day 10 – Struck up a conversation with a Spider today. Seems nice. He’s a Web Designer. 
Day 11 – Isolation is hard. I swear my fridge just said, “What the hell do you want now?” 
Day 12 – I realized why dogs get so excited about something moving outside, going for walks or car rides. I think I just barked at a squirrel. 
Day 13 – If you keep a glass of wine in each hand, you can’t accidently touch your face. 
Day 14 – Watched the birds fight over a worm. The Cardinals lead the Blue Jays 3–1. 
Day 15 – Anybody else feel like they’ve cooked dinner about 395 times this month? 

• Like 1

So I'm an ED doc, which right now is not really very much the lighter side. One hobby is watching hockey...oh wait...

But I can share that at one time I owned three pizza restaurants in Raleigh and Cary, called Z pizza. They're all sold and operating under different names now, but when we had them we had some interesting customers along the way.

I've shared before, but Eric Staal was a regular customer of our North Raleigh location. Usually his wife came to the door, but one day Eric came and my brother talked to him for about 15 minutes. One thing he said was realizing that he might have been spoiled by that first cup coming so soon. Man was he right about that. Bill Cowher was also a customer in N Raleigh. 

When the NHL All Star game was here, our downtown location being a half block from the convention center had some other hockey customers. Pierre McGuire, Jeremy Roenick, and several others, and on a separate occasion Charles "the round mound of rebound" Barkley came in. 

We had a nice run but running three restaurants was a bit much, and we sold our last unit a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

I had been meaning to post this for a while but never got around to it.  

The night before Valentine’s Day 2020 I stopped at the Whole Foods on Six Forks to get roses for my girlfriend and something nice for dinner. When I went to check out I spotted one Martin Necas about to pay for his groceries. There was no line behind him so I decided to walk up and say a quick hello. As I walked up I saw his mom was there too. He was speaking Czech with her and looking at his phone while the checkout lady rang everything up. I walked up with my armful of like 20 roses and bottle of wine, got his attention and said “Hey you’re Martin right? I’m a big fan.” He gave me and the roses a WEIRD look and said something like “really? Oh thanks man.” I think it took him a second to realize they weren’t for him 😂 but then I wished him good luck for tomorrow and he thanked me very nicely. We beat the Devils at home 5-2 that next night on Valentines Day and Necas got 1G, 1A, so that officially went down as a great memory for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

I'm a software developer and this is what changed for me due to lockdown.

5e7b5b170dd3e7344.jpg

That is hand sanitizer I hope.  Looks like Lotion.  ROFL

• Like 1

If I can't find some TP soon, I'm gonna put on my old Army coat and stand on a street corner with a beat up cardboard sign that says "Vietnam Vet - Will Work for Toilet Paper."

Edited by g105
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, thickburglar said:

I had been meaning to post this for a while but never got around to it.  

The night before Valentine’s Day 2020 I stopped at the Whole Foods on Six Forks to get roses for my girlfriend and something nice for dinner. When I went to check out I spotted one Martin Necas about to pay for his groceries. There was no line behind him so I decided to walk up and say a quick hello. As I walked up I saw his mom was there too. He was speaking Czech with her and looking at his phone while the checkout lady rang everything up. I walked up with my armful of like 20 roses and bottle of wine, got his attention and said “Hey you’re Martin right? I’m a big fan.” He gave me and the roses a WEIRD look and said something like “really? Oh thanks man.” I think it took him a second to realize they weren’t for him 😂 but then I wished him good luck for tomorrow and he thanked me very nicely. We beat the Devils at home 5-2 that next night on Valentines Day and Necas got 1G, 1A, so that officially went down as a great memory for me. 

Good story! 😂

I've got nothing. I work in electronic security for a very small family company, so small I'm the only non family employee. We are considered contractors, therefore essential.

I'm working now more then I have in 10 years. So all my home projects are sidelined and the most I get to rode my Indian is to pick up groceries 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 6:09 PM, beboplar said:

Hey, we could turn this into a hockey/woodworking site.  

fullsizeoutput_626.jpeg

I think we just did!

Pretty chair! And you called it on mine, stained red oak. They already had a Stickley chair/ottoman for him that they wanted color-matched. 

I am a Information Security professional for a government contracting company who works from home. The only changes for me is my kids and wife are always at work now and its really hard to concentrate on Linux + with kids around. Pretty boring stuff without distraction. also my super senior dog sleeps less than he normally does because his herd is here and needs overwatch.

my quarantine funny story: my kids and I are having a full fledged nerf gun war in the yard. My kids had a bad habit of dropping their weapons when being chased.  So, towards the end i have all but 1 of the guns. My oldest son is leaning against the house taunting me as my youngest still has his gun next to him.  I go to charge, my oldest son turns to run away and get around the corner of the house. He miss judged how far he was away from the corner and goes into the side the house. He hit it like one of those funny home videos, stunningly hitting something and going down backwards like a stiff board.  No chipped teeth or more than his pride hurt so, it was freaking hilarious.  

no cool player stories as I haven’t lived in the Raleigh area for 17 years. I live too far away from the city of Atlanta to run into players of any sport here.

• Like 2

Must make a comment here on beboplar and top-shelf-1.   You guys are very talented woodworkers.   Very nice.   And while I am at it....top-shelf-1 ...... do you live in Big Sur?  The reason I ask is I was stationed in the military in Monterey and used to go camping near Big Sur.  

• Like 1

Pharmaceutical Product Transfer Project Manager-  Big name for a guy who coordinates others activities with no power over them.   Our home plant is in full operation and then some.  Many controls to assure we don't get compromised leading to lack of production. Daily contact logs temperature monitoring etc. etc.  I am not supposed to go in due to other risk factors for myself but have to at least once a week .  Otherwise working from the recliner. When wife was at work distractions were minimized.  She cares for 2 critically ill patients who both had to be in hospital recently.  SO.... she was home and we barely kept from attacking each other. LOL.  My daughter works in a controlled care facility so alot of risk factor there as well.  The facility she worked in last year right across the street is poorly managed and has had a major outbreak including most of the patents and many staff.  Thank goodness she does not work there now or me and the family would likely have contracted this crap. Stress level varies .  Not much funny stories for me.  Just work and more work in side and outside the house to keep my mind occupied.  Praying for all those impacted so severely and not having an income.  Lack of income is better than having this disease.  More positive news is slowly trickling out.  I expect major improvements within a month, but this is a long haul. At least I aint gotten to wiping my butt with a wash cloth yet. Thats a plus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think we just did!

Pretty chair! And you called it on mine, stained red oak. They already had a Stickley chair/ottoman for him that they wanted color-matched. 

Well, seeing that there's no hockey to talk about (well I have been looking at mock drafts....), here is another offering on the woodworking side of our site.  This table is made from Wenge, Bubinga, and Sapele Pommele. 

fullsizeoutput_370.jpeg

Edited by beboplar

Programmer here. Working currently for a small auto insurance company, so still considered an "essential business" and still going to the office, more out of routine than anything else. There are maybe 10-12 people in the office on any one day (most of the underwriting and claims people are working from home), and we're all spread out, Doing our best to serve and still protect ourselves.

Economy is a bit of a concern, of course. The IT Manager (my boss' boss) sent out an email yesterday that mentioned that policy applications last week were down 60% from the same week a year ago. 

I can't make anything as beautiful as top and bebopular can, so I don't try. I'm trying to self-isolate when I can, so I'm picking up my amateur radio hobby a bit more, and dreaming of the day I can go out and launch high-power rockets again. Watching lots of old auto races, as well.

Y'all have a great evening. Hope we can get excited about hockey again....

Y'all pretty much know my story, but for those that don't, here goes. I am THE Medical Examiner in Sampson Co, am Forensically trained (Forensic Pathologist), thus do 98% of the autopsies in this county. I'm also the hospital pathologist, thus am the medical advisor for this hospital laboratory, as well as doing all surgical pathology for the hospital. I've been the medical examiner here for almost 40 years, and probably have done more medical examiner cases cumulatively than anyone in the state, probably around 3000. Autopsies, though are not quite as many, doing around 1/3 of the ME cases, but I also have hospital cases I do, which aren't ME cases, as well as private cases when I'm called. Total of all I've performed through the years is around 3500. I trained for a year in Forensic Pathology at the Univ. of New Mexico in Albuquerque in 80-81, after finishing 3 years at Ft. Bragg (Womack Army Hospital), after my pathology residency from 73-77 at Fitzsimmons Army Medical Center in Denver. Also did a straight Internal Medicine internship there the year previous. You all mostly know that I'm a huge LSU Tiger fan, having been born in Baton Rouge, and attended both undergraduate as well as graduate school there and LSU Medical School in New Orleans.

Thus, nothing nearly as exciting as wood working, although I testify usually several times/year. And there are some interesting cases in those years. I've run 34 marathons in my time, including 2 Bostons, and had aspirations of running 1 marathon in every state, before I had 2 DVTs and slowed a bit. In addition, I love fishing (can't go much), as well as kayaking, biking and scuba.

In addition to not being into wood working, I also can't really say I personally have any 1 on 1 experience with face to face meetings with the players, sigh. Wife has though, involving one Ray Whitney, but she's sworn me to secrecy as it was a somewhat embarrassing moment for him. Her reward for it--- a signed stick. But that's a story for another time.

Finally, making lemonade from lemons, I've got to comment that I've always wished to have a get together and meet all of you guys that post on here, thinking that in doing so, some of the what should I say, acrimonious exchanges, might be a little less caustic (or not). But I truly think it would be interesting and an ultimate bonding. I know several of you do gather in tailgating, and wish I could ever join in, but my time is limited. 

I'll close by hoping/praying all on here as well as your families stay safe, practice "social distancing" as well as hand washing and hope we get thru this damn pandemic soon. Go Canes

Interesting stuff, KJUNKANE.  Were you a fan of Quincy, M.E. back in the day? 📺🤔 I was always amused by the opening credits of that show when Quincy pulled the sheet off the corpse and began the autopsy in front of a row of rookie cops and all the cops pass out one by one!

15 hours ago, beboplar said:

Well, seeing that there's no hockey to talk about (well I have been looking at mock drafts....), here is another offering on the woodworking side of our site.  This table is made from Wenge, Bubinga, and Sapele Pommele. 

fullsizeoutput_370.jpeg

Nice! I got to work with bubinga a lot as a young man, when I prototyped a new line that featured it for a small limited-run manufacturer.

Years after starting my own shop, I "taught" (<= quotes explained momentarily) a woodworking class at an adult evening school for a few semesters. The day of the first class, I'm in my shop and it dawns on me: "What if somebody wants me to demonstrate... oh, I don't know, hand-cut dovetails?? Yipes!" There'd been zero call for them in my work (mostly commercial and institutional cabinetry), but in what I thought would be an instructional setting, who knew? So to be sure I remembered how to do them, I made what eventually became the mahogany apron of the table below (top and legs are maple).

943113590_MahogMapleEndTable.thumb.jpg.591dcafe1c81bf7a2e5f676a9d749624.jpg

Of course, nobody asked. The "class" was guys who'd been coming for years, each with a new project every semester, and painstakingly detailed progress notes, so they'd be sure to get the time they needed on given pieces of equipment in given weeks, to keep their projects on schedule (Christmas gifts each fall, graduation gifts each spring). Great group of people, and I wasn't totally useless, probably saving them a finger or two by virtue of timely interventions: "Whoa, there... let's think about a safer way to do this..."

22 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

Must make a comment here on beboplar and top-shelf-1.   You guys are very talented woodworkers.   Very nice.   And while I am at it....top-shelf-1 ...... do you live in Big Sur?  The reason I ask is I was stationed in the military in Monterey and used to go camping near Big Sur.  

Thanks snuffy!

Mrs. Shelf and I have vacationed in Big Sur a couple of times and tied the knot there, but bepolar is the one in Cali, not me. 

• Like 1