The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

The Lighter Side of Lockdown

13 hours ago, beboplar said:

Is there a not to exceed weight limit for users?

ha! There probably should be! 

I think the issue with these is their design, which pains me to say, given that Frid was arguably the singular initial influence on the craft woodworking movement that really gathered steam in the early 60s. He is famous for his durable, practical, yet beautiful work. These only tick the last box, IMO.

I think the problem is their height. Frid's chair-height versions of this are very stable, but once the center of gravity is higher and "balanced" on three splayed legs... not so good. It's too bad, b/c they were one of his last designs, and I think he allowed his desire to have three different sizes cloud his judgment of their real-world durability/practicality.

Sanding doesn't bother me, probably because I keep it to a minimum. I use cabinet scrapers as much as possible, and then go straight to 220 grit pre-finish.  

15 hours ago, beboplar said:

I always believed "sand" was a 4 letter word.  I was making 6 contemporary Adirondack chairs out of Douglas Fir, based upon a design I'd seen in Sunset magazine many years ago.  My wife, who I was dating at the time, said she would love to help out sanding them with me.  Obviously, there was some code language being expressed there.  Translation, we will go down to the shop, and I will show you how I can sand (for a period not to exceed 5 minutes), and then you will take me out to dinner.  Funny me, I thought she was there to help me make in roads in the sanding task.

. . .

Whew! When you talked about your future wife's coded interpretation of "sanding" in the early stages of your relationship, I thought you were headed towards something that wouldn't be appropriate in a family oriented forum! :P

• Like 1

Just coming out of lurk mode to say how much I am enjoying this thread - the woodworking projects are beautiful! I'm afraid the only contribution I can make is a silly graphic, though. 

f20.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, romansperson said:

Just coming out of lurk mode to say how much I am enjoying this thread - the woodworking projects are beautiful! I'm afraid the only contribution I can make is a silly graphic, though. 

f20.jpg

Good one. You left out toilet paper 🤣. 🚽 🧻💩

This is not a lighter thing.  But an acknowledgment and Thank you to these people.    That goes fro every single Health care professional, EMS worker and front line troops fighting this battle.  WE all have a part and these people really stepped up.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pennsylvania-workers-factory-28-days-ppe-coronavirus-personal-protective-equipment

• Like 1

This has nothing at all to do with the Covid virus, but I stumbled across it while cleaning out some old email and thought some might get a kick out of it. (Click on the poem to see a bigger copy)

This actually did earn a poetry
prize in West Virginia in 1912.
By Jonny Jethro Nickens 

redneck%252520love%252520poem%2525202_th

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 5

My personal Covid news for the day:  The Good- I received a 24 mega roll of Charmin from Sams club by Fedex.  The Bad-  I had to cancel all my vacation in Maine in Mid June.

Thank you executive order that all persons traveling to Maine have a 14 day Mandatory Quarantine period Until AUGUST.  Now I can use my TP to soak up my tears.  That is all.

1 hour ago, cc said:

My personal Covid news for the day:  The Good- I received a 24 mega roll of Charmin from Sams club by Fedex.  The Bad-  I had to cancel all my vacation in Maine in Mid June.

Thank you executive order that all persons traveling to Maine have a 14 day Mandatory Quarantine period Until AUGUST.  Now I can use my TP to soak up my tears.  That is all.

You can order TP from Sams?

4 hours ago, cc said:

Is it ours executive order or Maine's? I was planning to rent house there for a month since I need only internet to work.

Nothing much going on so I thought I would thrill you all with some more woodworking.  I have been working on a TV tray design and these 8 are from Phase 2.  This phase featured colored decks (2 shades of green and yellow) ebony stained bases, and yellow, green and gray sides.  Side have 3 profile;  either straight, convex, or concave.

Phase 3, which has 6 units, should be done by the end of the weekend.  They will feature clear finished decks, black painted bases, and various shades of purple sides.  Enjoy.

fullsizeoutput_967.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_968.jpeg

Posting here to avoid needless stress. Well not a bad day after my meltdown yesterday.   Number one. I have NO reason to whine but all things are relative.  I ain’t got the crud. I live in a very rural area. I got more tp ordered.  🙏I have gotten my personal laptop integrated as much as possible to work with the EU team.  Their perspective from Italy,France and Germany is invaluable. Got my S tank pumped so toilet will quite gurglin and cleared out fiberglass blownin insulation  in my overhead “attic” to allow replacement of my bathroom fans.  Nasty fricken job even though it was relatively cool today. Had on a tyvek  suit and respirator. Made me feel for those that have to do that everyday. Real heroes they are. That means you Rem.  How was y’alls day ifn you are are stuck at home?

• Like 1

I heard that ESPN is airing Korean baseball in absence of anything else new to air. I checked it out today - they aren't allowing fans in the stadiums yet, and while it was certainly different, it really wasn't bad at all. Now if the commentators would just shut their yaps, that'd be great, lol. They talked about just about everything BUT the game! 

Put on some Floyd or your choice of music and turn the sound down 🤪

On 5/7/2020 at 7:10 PM, romansperson said:

I heard that ESPN is airing Korean baseball in absence of anything else new to air. I checked it out today - they aren't allowing fans in the stadiums yet, and while it was certainly different, it really wasn't bad at all. Now if the commentators would just shut their yaps, that'd be great, lol. They talked about just about everything BUT the game! 

They were showing a cornhole tournament yesterday. I’ mnot kidding. ESPN. The mothership. Cornhole!

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

They were showing a cornhole tournament yesterday. I’ mnot kidding. ESPN. The mothership. Cornhole!

They've been showing those for a few years now.  The players are scary good.  More of a sport than poke in my opinion.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

They've been showing those for a few years now.  The players are scary good.  More of a sport than poke in my opinion.

Agreed on the poker.  Hell, tiddlywinks is more of a sport than poker.

13 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Agreed on the poker.  Hell, tiddlywinks is more of a sport than poker.

TRUE!

On 5/7/2020 at 7:26 PM, cc said:

Put on some Floyd or your choice of music and turn the sound down 🤪

Pfft. My husband bought me tix for the Brit Floyd tribute band for Christmas. The concert was supposed to be in April. Then it was postponed until July. Coupla days ago we got an email from the venue saying it's been postponed again … until August 2021! We'll probably end up misplacing the tickets long before then.

I've been wondering if he'd become a NASCAR convert since it looks like the Coca-Cola 500 will happen - at least it would be something to watch. He says he's not that desperate … yet, lol. He's holding out for Formula 1.