The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

J Willy to retire after this season no matter what happens.

Glad he came back for a bit. Just a real good player, and leader. I hope he has a place, if he wants one, with this team in the future.

I guess I expected it, and yet, it's still a bummer. Get a spot ready in the organ-I-zation if he wants it. Hopefully some playoff games first, though possibly not in front of actual fans in attendance.

I’m secretly hoping 

a. We retire #14

b. He becomes Rod’s assistant (replacing Jeff) after this season

24 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I’m secretly hoping 

a. We retire #14

b. He becomes Rod’s assistant (replacing Jeff) after this season

I think it be something in the line of:

1. Special assistant for forwards until his is coaching ready (personally himself and understands the Nhl coaching side)

2. The ahl coach is snatched up and JW becomes the new ahl head coach.

• Like 2

Or maybe not.

Williams: "I think the story was quite simple in the fact that yes, Williams is hinting at retirement. Well, of course I am. I hinted at it last year, so why would this year be any different? The plan was to come back, play some hockey games, win a Stanley Cup here in Carolina again and maybe ride off into the sunset.  My plans have maybe been derailed a little bit, just by time. But at the end of the day and when everything is all said and done, that's the goal and we'll see where it takes me. But as opposed to offering a straight answer to it, I don't have it, don't plan on having it any time soon but I hope to be playing hockey soon. I know that much."

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/not-so-fast-justin-williams-hasn-t-decided-anything-about-retirement-he-tells-the-adam-gold-show/19060918/

Edited by LakeLivin

Ha! Here we go again! 

Hockey Regular Season: October - April

J Williams Regular Season: January "ish" - April

Hey, it seemed to be working this year.

Just saw this thread for the first time. Too many questions to know what to think will happen. Is this season over? If it gets finished out in some fashion, I can’t see Williams coming back. But also, is it even certain games will be played next year? For those that can stomach the COVID thread, there are so many opinions about when sports can resume (not to mention will there be a “second wave”) that it’s no sure thing there will be a season next year for Williams to come back to. If so, Willy sure looked like he could play another year if he wanted to. As far as retiring #14, an argument could be made that most of his greatest accomplishments were not here. But assuming the team is inclined to retire a jersey, should it be #11? He wore that number a lot longer than 14 if I’m not mistaken. Anyway, hope he stays with the team in some capacity. A real leader and winner the likes of which we haven’t seen since the C was taken from #17.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Just saw this thread for the first time. Too many questions to know what to think will happen. Is this season over? If it gets finished out in some fashion, I can’t see Williams coming back. But also, is it even certain games will be played next year? For those that can stomach the COVID thread, there are so many opinions about when sports can resume (not to mention will there be a “second wave”) that it’s no sure thing there will be a season next year for Williams to come back to. If so, Willy sure looked like he could play another year if he wanted to. As far as retiring #14, an argument could be made that most of his greatest accomplishments were not here. But assuming the team is inclined to retire a jersey, should it be #11? He wore that number a lot longer than 14 if I’m not mistaken. Anyway, hope he stays with the team in some capacity. A real leader and winner the likes of which we haven’t seen since the C was taken from #17.

Can't deny at all that Williams has been important to the team, but he isn't 'retired number' important, IMO.  If you retire his number (whichever one you choose), do you retire CWard and EStaal as well?  Faulk and Cole?  Whitney and Wallin?  Damned fine hockey player no doubt, and had he spent his entire career here then perhaps, but you can't retire every number and 4 full seasons and parts of 3 more with only 2 playoff runs between them isn't enough to hang his in the rafters.  One guy's opinion, of course.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Can't deny at all that Williams has been important to the team, but he isn't 'retired number' important, IMO.  If you retire his number (whichever one you choose), do you retire CWard and EStaal as well?  Faulk and Cole?  Whitney and Wallin?  Damned fine hockey player no doubt, and had he spent his entire career here then perhaps, but you can't retire every number and 4 full seasons and parts of 3 more with only 2 playoff runs between them isn't enough to hang his in the rafters.  One guy's opinion, of course.

I don’t disagree that Williams resume with the Canes is probably too thin for jersey retirement. His return to Raleigh brought a lot of nostalgia for the Stanley Cup team, and in the one season he was given the C, his leadership was key to making the playoffs and a great playoff run. But as I said before, most of his career, and most of his accomplishments were elsewhere. Of course everyone still loves the guy, but probably not rafter material. As to the names you mentioned, and this will make a lot of heads explode, the only one worthy of consideration for jersey retirement is Eric Staal. I’m too lazy to look up the stats, but I’m pretty sure he leads the Canes in pretty much every offensive category by a wide margin. And the Stanley Cup team had a lot of offensive contributors, but his 40 goals and 100 points are still the single season record for the Hurricanes, and he kept it going in the playoffs too. Not a great 2 way player like Rod, but we don’t win the Cup without either of them.

4 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

:rofl: No you didn't include Faulk in your post about retiring numbers!  Thanks for the laugh realm!

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Retired numbers should be rare and extra-ordinary.   I think the Wesley retirement was a bit too far.  But I get it, especially for a team at the place and time they were in this community.

I love J Willy, but he is not at retirement level achievement.

Yet, sports has fallen into retirement-number-inflation these days.  On some teams, pretty soon we'll have to have 3 digit numbers or go alphabetical.

I'll give you an example: the Chicago Cubs.  They rightly retired Ernie Banks number.  A skilled player, and community ambassador, and an incredible face of the sport in whole.  "Let's play 2!"  Today, the players don't want to play any it seems like.  In recent years, the Cubs retired quite a few, some for sentimental reasons, and others that just confuse me.  Again, primarily to give the fan base a lift.  With all due respect to Greg Maddox, I don't think his number was retirement worthy.

There are plenty of other team examples out there.

If you want the true, long-lost example of a number that should be retired, look no further than Lou Gehrig.  First, he was an extraordinary player on a team that had someone else sucking the oxygen out of the room.  He just did his job.  Second, he was an extraordinary gentleman.  Third, he was an extraordinary humanitarian, even working with troubled youth during the short time after he retired before his disability became too severe.

I've read a lot about the guy and his life is incredible.  I hate the Yankees, but admire Lou Gehrig as a true, retirement-worthy sports hero.

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Retired numbers should be rare and extra-ordinary.   I think the Wesley retirement was a bit too far.  But I get it, especially for a team at the place and time they were in this community.

I love J Willy, but he is not at retirement level achievement.

Yet, sports has fallen into retirement-number-inflation these days.  On some teams, pretty soon we'll have to have 3 digit numbers or go alphabetical.

I'll give you an example: the Chicago Cubs.  They rightly retired Ernie Banks number.  A skilled player, and community ambassador, and an incredible face of the sport in whole.  "Let's play 2!"  Today, the players don't want to play any it seems like.  In recent years, the Cubs retired quite a few, some for sentimental reasons, and others that just confuse me.  Again, primarily to give the fan base a lift.  With all due respect to Greg Maddox, I don't think his number was retirement worthy.

There are plenty of other team examples out there.

If you want the true, long-lost example of a number that should be retired, look no further than Lou Gehrig.  First, he was an extraordinary player on a team that had someone else sucking the oxygen out of the room.  He just did his job.  Second, he was an extraordinary gentleman.  Third, he was an extraordinary humanitarian, even working with troubled youth during the short time after he retired before his disability became too severe.

I've read a lot about the guy and his life is incredible.  I hate the Yankees, but admire Lou Gehrig as a true, retirement-worthy sports hero.

Wx, do you think Maddox's number isn't retirement worthy for the Cubs (10 years), or retirement worthy period?  I associate him more with the Braves (11 years), but I could see why the Cubs might want to claim him as one of theirs, as well. Here's some stuff I copied from Wikipedia:

• the first pitcher in major league history to win the Cy Young Award four consecutive years (1992–1995), matched by only one other pitcher (Randy Johnson)
  • the only pitcher in MLB history to win at least 15 games for 17 straight seasons.
  • holds the record for most Gold Gloves with 18
  • won more games during the 1990s than any other pitcher
  • 8th on the all-time career wins list with 355
  • Since the start of the post-1920 live-ball era, only Warren Spahn (363) recorded more career wins than Maddux
  • one of only 10 pitchers ever to achieve both 300 wins and 3,000 strikeouts,
  • the only pitcher to record more than 300 wins, more than 3,000 strikeouts, and fewer than 1,000 walks

Which raises a general issue now that players are much less likely to play their whole career for one team; who retires an overall deserving players number? E.g., who gets credit for Patrick Marleau, the Sharks, the Leafs, or the Canes:P

53 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Wx, do you think Maddox's number isn't retirement worthy for the Cubs (10 years), or retirement worthy period?  I associate him more with the Braves (11 years), but I could see why the Cubs might want to claim him as one of theirs, as well. Here's some stuff I copied from Wikipedia:

Which raises a general issue now that players are much less likely to play their whole career for one team; who retires an overall deserving players number? E.g., who gets credit for Patrick Marleau, the Sharks, the Leafs, or the Canes:P

Ah!  Good point.  I was just thinking of the Cubs, and also some stuff that occurred when my brother in law was at an expensive autograph signing party.

Taken on a whole, the jersey retirement gets more complicated.  I honestly haven't thought much about this problem of WHOM to retire the jersey to.

I would hope there is a greater view of the person too, and not just setting up a charity foundation (everyone does that now).

So I need to churn my brain more about Maddux and also talk to my brother in law again about his thoughts at the party.  :)

Edited by wxray1