The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

NHL Draft 2020

42 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Not good news .    Ska  St.  Petersberg  in the khl ,   the team that Askarov is playing with .   Recently  there was a covid outbreak  of 10 players   infected with the virus . 

They have had to call up their jr.  team  to come in to play some  games .   Im praying   this virus did not infect  Askarov .

He's young, presumably in good health. Doubt he's at very high risk?

The COVID outbreak in the KHL is absolutely insane. This is what happens when you say “to hell with it, let’s just return to normal and see what happens.”

Apparently the KHL doesn’t care, they are basically telling teams to do whatever they need to to keep playing games. There are quarantines and such  but they are literally bringing up junior teams to fill the holes. I guess these players will be immune to the virus. 

The immediate future of the KHL is uncertain.

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

He's young, presumably in good health. Doubt he's at very high risk?

Given his track record for winning  games  .  His wins would put him in danger of players  coming up to him to congratulate him  on his efforts like nhl teams do .    I would not be so confident .  he has only had 3 games . other players  had much more than that .   SMH   this sucks .  

33 minutes ago, spockrock said:

Rug, roh, sure sounds like Dundon will push them to not taking Askarov:

Good. Give me Seth Jarvis.

A lot of good nuggets in this one. I don’t like making absolute statements about who we take. It kills our negotiating power with getting more darts.

1 hour ago, spockrock said:

If Askarov is  taken already .  Jarvis  would be a nice pick .    I Chalk it up to Dundon  trying to  throw  shade at the idea of picking Askarov  to prevent any  teams   above the canes  trading down to beat the canes to the pick .    I say the Canes are  still looking at Askarov . 

If we aren’t doing Askarov:

Mercer

Jarvis

Zary

Lapierre

in that order. If Mercer isn’t there, I let Edmonton trade up for a decent extra dart. Maybe chicago for a really good extra dart and target the bottom 3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Mercer

Jarvis

Zary

Lapierre

in that order. If Mercer isn’t there, I let Edmonton trade up for a decent extra dart. Maybe chicago for a really good extra dart and target the bottom 3.

I hope for  Hendrix  he is past those concussions .  Talk about a kid  that was  likely to get selected at  4th    only a  year  ago  and  was hit hard with concussions .   Which would explain things on why  he is now projected in the top 20 .   So unfortunate and sad . 

6 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

If Askarov is  taken already .  Jarvis  would be a nice pick .    I Chalk it up to Dundon  trying to  throw  shade at the idea of picking Askarov  to prevent any  teams   above the canes  trading down to beat the canes to the pick .    I say the Canes are  still looking at Askarov . 

I agree that anything most professional sports management people say at this juncture is not to be believed, and often stated to throw off the scent.  After last year's draft, I am in awe of the Canes draft management personnel, so I have faith they will make prudent decisions.  If I had 1 wish I could whisper in their ears, it would be to try and trade UP by trading the 13th pick and Jake Gardiner, even if it was only to the 12th spot.  If Askarov has not been picked after pick 11, and he is the Canes guy, then it gives the appearance that the Canes are not willing to take the chance of losing him.  In the meantime, losing Gardiner's salary for the next 3 years is a huge bonus in the big picture of resigning Svechnikov, Hamilton, and possibly offering Fleury a long term deal.  It would be a sly move IMO.

2 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I agree that anything most professional sports management people say at this juncture is not to be believed, and often stated to throw off the scent.  After last year's draft, I am in awe of the Canes draft management personnel, so I have faith they will make prudent decisions.  If I had 1 wish I could whisper in their ears, it would be to try and trade UP by trading the 13th pick and Jake Gardiner, even if it was only to the 12th spot.  If Askarov has not been picked after pick 11, and he is the Canes guy, then it gives the appearance that the Canes are not willing to take the chance of losing him.  In the meantime, losing Gardiner's salary for the next 3 years is a huge bonus in the big picture of resigning Svechnikov, Hamilton, and possibly offering Fleury a long term deal.  It would be a sly move IMO.

That and it would free up a spot for  Bean to come in and play .    

Slavin Hamilton

Fleury  Pesce 

Bean Skjei   . 

Sounds about right . 

15 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I hope for  Hendrix  he is past those concussions .  Talk about a kid  that was  likely to get selected at  4th    only a  year  ago  and  was hit hard with concussions .   Which would explain things on why  he is now projected in the top 20 .   So unfortunate and sad . 

According to an Athletic article, his first concussion was chalked up as a concussion and not fully investigated. He had a vertebrae injury as well. Once the concussion symptoms went away, he went back to playing when he shouldn’t have.  Other high hits caused concussion like symptoms when really it was aggravating the vertebrae injury that was still present.  1 concussion and 2 re-aggravating injuries. They found the vertebrae injury after doing a full scan post “3rd concussion.”  

23 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

You know Cff, all you guys who constantly scan the news it would appear for these tidbits which we ALL appreciate hearing, speak in shorthand and acronyms, but for a few of us (speaking personally for myself), could I ask that more than a 1st name be referred to so that I might know of whom you speak? In my own profession, it drives me crazy when physicians use acronyms for instance that they use every day, but often other specialties use similar letters to refer to much different conditions. I know its nitpicking, but I think it's respectful. Here, I did figure out you were speaking of Hendrix Lapierre but it took a bit. And go, thanks for that extra bit of clarification.

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

You know Cff, all you guys who constantly scan the news it would appear for these tidbits which we ALL appreciate hearing, speak in shorthand and acronyms, but for a few of us (speaking personally for myself), could I ask that more than a 1st name be referred to so that I might know of whom you speak? In my own profession, it drives me crazy when physicians use acronyms for instance that they use every day, but often other specialties use similar letters to refer to much different conditions. I know its nitpicking, but I think it's respectful. Here, I did figure out you were speaking of Hendrix Lapierre but it took a bit. And go, thanks for that extra bit of clarification.

No problem  .   I love his  first name   so that was my  part   on why  I referred to   Lapierre as   to his first name .    Not everyday  you come across someone  named Hendrix  or    in  the case for the columbus bluejackets    goalie   Elvis Merzlikins  , and just go by calling the guy by their first name .     

3 hours ago, spockrock said:

Rug, roh, sure sounds like Dundon will push them to not taking Askarov:

Very interesting interview. Worth the time. I found it very reassuring overall, not just on the draft. I recommend it. 

I will say this. For a team to go goalie high in the draft, that team will need the support of the owner because of the risk involved and the time to play it out. TD says he does not make the pick and just guides on principles. But one such principle is to be very very careful drafting D men or goalies high in the draft, as in big bias against. He did say he didn't think it was likely we'd pick a goalie, then later said there are exceptions to every rule.

I would be very tempted to say that this is subterfuge to try to keep team above us from taking Askarov, and it may very well be, but later in the interview when asked what the team needs to improve the thing he finally settled on was basically that you can't have too many high end forwards that score points. This could also push the idea that we go with the highest skill forward on the board to try to essentially build Tampa who TD is clearly (and for good reason) impressed with. 

Of course Tampa has Vasilevskiy too, whom they drafted in the first round and whom scouts think Askarov is as good or better than.....

Personally, I still think that while drafting goalies this high is rarely a good idea, that the stars just seem to be aligning for us to pick Askarov. The "can't miss" scoring machine forwards will probably be gone at 13, no D man left will be good enough to push through the anti D bias, and Askarov is probably the best goalie prospect since Cary Price. I stand by the assertion that this is the exception to the rule pick. But I would not put much money on it.

It will make this draft interesting for us though.

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

That and it would free up a spot for  Bean to come in and play .    

Slavin Hamilton

Fleury  Pesce 

Bean Skjei   . 

Sounds about right . 

I don't see them pairing Fleury with Pesce, two defensive minded Dmen.  I think Fleury plays with Bean and Skjei with Pesce.  I would not mind seeing them resign McKeown as the 7th guy.

If anyone was watching the Vegas  vs Vancouver   playoffs   what people got to see  out of Vancouver is how hard  Thatcher Demko    was making it for Vegas  to score on him .  If  Carolina had  a goalie  Half as good as that who is to say its not the Canes  competing for the Cup instead of   Tampa .    Thing is Askarov  is bragged by Craig Button as being as good if not better than  Carey  Price .   Everyone  should know  how good Price is .    So given how the Metro Division is becoming the Division of  insanely good Goalies  you have 

Philly  - Hart 

NyI - Sorokin 

NYR - Shesterkin 

Was - Samsonov 

Pitts  - Jarry 

CBJ - Korpisalo and  Merzlinkins 

NJ - Blackwood 

Carolina is the only team currently  without a top notch goalie  .   And i was only talking  about the metro division , I have yet to talk about the Atlantic  , sheeesh ! 

It Seems to be the trend . 

20 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

If anyone was watching the Vegas  vs Vancouver   playoffs   what people got to see  out of Vancouver is how hard  Thatcher Demko    was making it for Vegas  to score on him .  If  Carolina had  a goalie  Half as good as that who is to say its not the Canes  competing for the Cup instead of   Tampa .    Thing is Askarov  is bragged by Craig Button as being as good if not better than  Carey  Price .   Everyone  should know  how good Price is .    So given how the Metro Division is becoming the Division of  insanely good Goalies  you have 

Philly  - Hart 

NyI - Sorokin 

NYR - Shesterkin 

Was - Samsonov 

Pitts  - Jarry 

CBJ - Korpisalo and  Merzlinkins 

NJ - Blackwood 

Carolina is the only team currently  without a top notch goalie  .   And i was only talking  about the metro division , I have yet to talk about the Atlantic  , sheeesh ! 

It Seems to be the trend . 

lets not paint any of them in the top notch goalie category yet. Hart, Jarry, Samsonov, Shesterkin , Korpisalo, Merzlinkins, and Blackwood have a very small sample size and one doesnt have any sample size.  Sure, it looks like they all have a good future but, goalies are voodoo.  Now if you wanted to say they have their goalie of the future, I would agree with you.  We are still up in the air about that.  

Edited by gocanes0506

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Mercer

Jarvis

Zary

Lapierre

GoCanes, are you assuming Quinn will be gone, or just not a fan of him?

Just to give one example of how important scouting is going to be, the Athletic did a piece on the most controversial prospects in terms of high opinions vs low. Quinn was one of them with one scout saying top 5-7, and the other calling him a risky pick saying using a top pick on him would "worry me a lot".  

But how about the split on Hendrix Lapierre:

Scout in favor: “He has so much skill and he’s a very smart player. It’s first-round skill all day. At the Hlinka Gretzky, he looked like a top-10 pick. If he looks healthy again, I realize there’s some risk, but I think you got to go after him in the first round at some point; there’s too much player there.”

Scout against: “I wouldn’t use a top-50 pick on him. The injuries … the two goals in 19 games, his game lacks pace. He looks healthy now and then you use a high pick and in two or three years those issues always seem to pop back up again. At some point it becomes worth it, but that point will be later than where he’ll likely go.”

His downside and injury risk scare me, but what a second round pick he could end up being. There are a couple forwards like that, fitting well into our high reward strategy in late rounds. 

Our second and third round picks could be very interesting in addition to the big one.

18 minutes ago, remkin said:

GoCanes, are you assuming Quinn will be gone, or just not a fan of him?

Im not too sold on Quinn.  Most mocks have him going to Florida.  Zito seems to do things the right way and he'll fill his prospect pool with BPA.  The NHL team needs wingers but they have some real good wingers 1 year away or so.  He needs defending prospects / center prospects.  I think he makes it to 13. 

Dream scenario.

Edmonton wants Askarov. Trade 13 for 14 and 79.  NJ wants Quinn.  Trade 18 and 20 for 14 and 52.  Quinn wants other Quinn and NJ does it for some reason. We get Zary and Amirov/ Lapierre.  

Don Waddell basically said that they have been talking about Askarov for awhile, and often. Said they talked about him with their scouts “this morning.“ He said there are too many good players to take in the top 10 (the Canes own top 10 list) and that if one of those players *forwards* *cough* *forwards* fell to 13 that they would be taken over a goalie. 

However he said if they are all gone, then they would have to consider Askarov. He said they have had meetings about it, and that another meeting about it is scheduled next week.

Edit: The article is from 9/24/20, and the comments are actually in the article about whether or not Justin Williams is coming back. It’s from the News & Observer. You can see Don Waddell’s comments/quotes there.

Edited by Kyrule

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

We all know what a CFF is though, don't we? 😉. And Kjun, I'm sure you must throw around terms like "MI" in party small talk, no?  😀

Personally I thought he was talking about Jimmy Hendrix.  I had no clue.

I once caught myself talking to a friend about "VLAN over WIFi". Her eyes glazed over and she says: "I have no clue what you are talking about."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

We all know what a CFF is though, don't we? 😉. And Kjun, I'm sure you must throw around terms like "MI" in party small talk, no?  😀

Personally I thought he was talking about Jimmy Hendrix.  I had no clue.

I once caught myself talking to a friend about "VLAN over WIFi". Her eyes glazed over and she says: "I have no clue what you are talking about."

"Party small talk" much different than "Canes small talk", which is much more diverse, haha?