The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

NHL Draft 2020

I could see the machinations around Askarov potentially turning into a chess match involving Winnepeg and Nashville (trading down) and teams like Edmonton, Toronto, and Carolina (jockeying to move up). On the one hand, the higher picking team is in essence moving down one less player they'd be interested in than the difference in position (they know the team they're trading with will be taking Askarov). That should make it easier to pull the trigger on a move down, and in other circumstances maybe soften the price? But on the other hand, there could be competition to move up and snag Askarov between the Oil, Leafs, and Canes which would drive up the price. 

Bottom line? I dunno, my head hurts thinking about it. Gonna be interesting to see what transpires tomorrow.

So just looked at the latest mock drafts from reputable places. There is definitely a huge swing towards Askarov being gone by our pick. He's seen going to Ottawa, NJ, Minnesota, and Nashville. I guess Buffalo has a lot of needs, but I wouldn't put it past them either. 

Out of 15 recent Mock Drafts 10 of them see Askarov going elsewhere. 9/10 of those see him going ahead of us, and one sees us passing on him. 

There really are so many scenarios. Personally I think it's nearly impossible that we trade up past #9. The cost just too high. But in that 9-12 range it should cost a second rounder and at least in theory is doable. If he goes to Ottawa obviously that's that, but I'd say the same for NJ for sure, and probably Buffalo at #8. It would be very unlikely for him to go #5 except that Ottawa will already have either Stuetzle or Byfield and this is a free shot at a franchise goalie, especially if they don't want to go D. 

Interesting though that all three guys at NHL.com put us on Askarov. Then again, if you take them out, it goes to only 2/12 seeing him there for us.

If we don't get Askarov the picks are: Quinn (4), Jarvis (2), Amirov (1), and interestingly 2 guys have us getting Holtz (Craig Button and McKeens). . That would be a big drop for Holtz and many have him around #7. I don't have Holz as even on the radar as I didn't see him dropping. Then again, usually at least one guy does drop. 

So the conventional wisdom was just say no to goalies, but that has swung to "yeah, but Askarov is not just any goalie". By about 2:1 mock drafts now see Askarov gone before we get a chance. 

It's a little trickery, but by extension, only 1/15 mock drafters see Askarov getting past us. It's trickery because the guys who have him going ahead of us aren't explicitly saying we'd take him if he's there, but most probably would based on prior mock drafts and discussions. 

So, it would be very surprising to the assembled experts if Askarov is there at #13 and we pass. 

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The best case scenario for us is Askarov and 3 defenders going before us. We would have a couple of really good forwards there for us.

Not Askarov falling to us and turning into the next Vasilevskiy (or better)?

Edited by LakeLivin

6 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Have we ever actually gotten the person the 'mock drafts' thought we would?  Outside of our 2 2OA picks (EStaal & Svech), i mean?

Never that I recall?

Hanifin probably. Since the picks are all over the place in terms of individual players, one or two usually get it right mostly by luck. But by #13, so many things above us change the dynamics. Heck after #1 things diverge and again after #3. Then throw the goalie in there? So many possible outcomes.

20 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Not Askarov falling to us and turning into the next Vasilevskiy (or better)?

At this point, I don’t see it happening

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

At this point, I don’t see it happening

Ah, that clarifies things. I thought you were saying that was the best possible outcome, even better than Askarov being available to us. 

Edited by LakeLivin

3 hours ago, remkin said:

So just looked at the latest mock drafts from reputable places. There is definitely a huge swing towards Askarov being gone by our pick. He's seen going to Ottawa, NJ, Minnesota, and Nashville. I guess Buffalo has a lot of needs, but I wouldn't put it past them either. 

Out of 15 recent Mock Drafts 10 of them see Askarov going elsewhere. 9/10 of those see him going ahead of us, and one sees us passing on him. 

There really are so many scenarios. Personally I think it's nearly impossible that we trade up past #9. The cost just too high. But in that 9-12 range it should cost a second rounder and at least in theory is doable. If he goes to Ottawa obviously that's that, but I'd say the same for NJ for sure, and probably Buffalo at #8. It would be very unlikely for him to go #5 except that Ottawa will already have either Stuetzle or Byfield and this is a free shot at a franchise goalie, especially if they don't want to go D. 

Interesting though that all three guys at NHL.com put us on Askarov. Then again, if you take them out, it goes to only 2/12 seeing him there for us.

If we don't get Askarov the picks are: Quinn (4), Jarvis (2), Amirov (1), and interestingly 2 guys have us getting Holtz (Craig Button and McKeens). . That would be a big drop for Holtz and many have him around #7. I don't have Holz as even on the radar as I didn't see him dropping. Then again, usually at least one guy does drop. 

So the conventional wisdom was just say no to goalies, but that has swung to "yeah, but Askarov is not just any goalie". By about 2:1 mock drafts now see Askarov gone before we get a chance. 

rem, what say you, should we miss out on Askarov, that we swing for the fences in a later round for Jan Bednar? Just read where he "might" be a huge win if he can pan out, then again he might go the way of everyone's favorite, Mongo?

The funny thing is I heard (I think) that we are one of three teams to draft a goalie every year for the last 6 years or something like that.

Darts at the dartboard.

5 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

The funny thing is I heard (I think) that we are one of three teams to draft a goalie every year for the last 6 years or something like that.

Darts at the dartboard.

Darts is game with a lot of skill. Raffle tickets?

On the Eve of the Draft  in about 20 hours  20 minuets  .   Do the Carolina Hurricanes   meet Destiney ,  Or see it Dash against the rocks  yet another time ?

( don't answer that it's a rhetorical  question )

For  decades  all what the Hurricanes Fanbase   has known is Cam Ward  and  in the midst of that there were  maybe  a few times  the canes Came close to  a brush of greatness  but failed to seek it  through  . 

And now   we all see  what  will behold  the Canes once again .   

It is time  for the canes chance to shine  and be that team  by taking  the next great step  for another 20 years  .    The  question now is ,  Will Destiny allow  us to write  a page in the history books  or are they going to  be  written down  as a footnote ? 

Pronman has Lapierre sliding back up to us in his final projection. The QMJHL starting back has benefited Lapierre who has looked good in his exhibition and one regular season game back. Also said Jarvis is an option.

Askarov went 11th. 

Ive been a fan of Lapierre as a pick from the start. He is a top 5 talent who fell because of one bad hit and missed diagnosis.  It is a risk but huge reward pick.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, what say you, should we miss out on Askarov, that we swing for the fences in a later round for Jan Bednar? Just read where he "might" be a huge win if he can pan out, then again he might go the way of everyone's favorite, Mongo?

If we don't get Askarov, I think we have to keep buying those lottery tickets. You cannot win if you do not play. I'm not that familiar with guys out of the first round. My plan will be to research the non first rounders after after we pick them. 

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Pronman has Lapierre sliding back up to us in his final projection. The QMJHL starting back has benefited Lapierre who has looked good in his exhibition and one regular season game back. Also said Jarvis is an option.

Askarov went 11th. 

Ive been a fan of Lapierre as a pick from the start. He is a top 5 talent who fell because of one bad hit and missed diagnosis.  It is a risk but huge reward pick.

Lapierre is probably the most intriguing draftee outside of Askarov. Of the mock drafts I recently reviewed, none had Lapierre to us, and few, (if any) had him higher. Last night watched some stuff on youtube, and the point was made that even if one or more of his "concussions" were really neck problems, that wasn't much better. There is no doubt though that this guy, if healthy could be the steal of the draft. 

Given our tendency to swing for the fences, it would be a surprise, but not a shock if we grabbed him. Even better if we traded down and got him and another second rounder.

It is interesting which guys might get a boost or drop based on a handful of games including preseason games. Lapierre and unfortunately Askarov are getting boosts. 

Been watching a guy on youtube that goes under draft dynasty. He has made some really independent ranks based on watching a ton of prospect games. (He has Byfield at 6). He likes Jarvis as the 4th best player in the draft. He likes Quinn, I think around 10.

Just makes me want Jarvis more. 

Anyways, if you want a contrarian view on some picks:

If there is an unexpected run on D and Askarov in the top 12, and/or if Quinn goes high, two guys who might fall from the top ranks: Lundell and Holtz. 

My"bold" prediction.  We will pick someone unexpected totally under the radar.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cc said:

My"bold" prediction.  We will pick someone unexpected totally under the radar.

i'd be alittle disappointed if we reached instead of trading down.  This management team is unpredictable and wouldnt put it past them to do exactly as you predict.

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

If there is an unexpected run on D and Askarov in the top 12, and/or if Quinn goes high, two guys who might fall from the top ranks: Lundell and Holtz. 

It’s funny you said that, I was thinking last night if two guys were going to slip it would probably be Holtz (due to his skating) and Lundell (due to potentially limited ceiling regarding offense).

Not sure how I would feel if we selected either one since I have the same concerns.

Edited by Kyrule

So just because there is a draft trade in here, and this should be the hot thread, and draft day trades are a thing: a few notes I've heard tell of:

Saw a trade proposal: Jake Bean and #13 for #6. Anaheim has said the #6 pick is "available". We could move up and take Askarov, so long as Ottawa leaves him, or we could instead grab the BPA forward who could be someone in that near elite tier. It's a long shot, but not nuts.

Three teams rumored to be somewhat clearing good players out: Winnipeg, Tampa, and Arizona. While we're rumored to be nibbling at Laine, personally, the price might be lower and overall game better on Ehlers, who I'd love us to try to get. Tyler Johnson has been asked to waive his NTC. Thanks for the cup, nice knowing you. He is skilled, but has been a 50 point guy, not the 70 point guy of the one peak season. Makes $5M/year, 4 more years, has that NTC. I think I'd pass. Palat is another option, he's also got a NTC and is $5.3M but he has only 2 years left. He's not been asked to waive, but is also not on the no touch list. They've actually put Stamkos out there as available. Arizona, for me: the goalies, especially Keumper and....

Taylor Hall, UFA. I'd be afraid of him on a long term deal. I've heard Colorado, dang would they be even better though.

Patrick Maroon is said to be going to UFA. More of a role player, but might be cheap, has won two cups in a row. Goes to the net. Big. Though a bit slow.

We've been rumored to be considering Lunqvist. That would be something.

Markstrom is still out there at this point, who would be a big upgrade IMO.

Of all of the tire kicking out there, and for all of TD's talk of more goal scoring, it sure seems we're kicking a lot of goalie tires.

I wouldnt use Bean to move up 7 spots.  In other drafts the difference between 6 and 13 would be pretty significant.  

This one is more about picking preference.  

Edited by gocanes0506