The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

NHL Draft 2020

1 minute ago, remkin said:
NHL.com post draft analysis.

13. Carolina Hurricanes - Seth Jarvis, C, Portland (WHL)

NHL Central Scouting: No. 11 (North American skaters)

Jarvis is a smart, skilled player who executes with pace and excels on the power play as well as the penalty kill. The 18-year-old plays hard, goes to the net, and does everything with purpose. Jarvis (5-10, 175) creates offense with his vision, quickness and playmaking ability, and was second in the Western Hockey League with 98 points (42 goals, 56 assists) and a plus-53 rating in 58 games this season.

NHL.com analysis: Jarvis builds his game around his speed and dynamic offensive skills. He can play center or on the wing, and is an outstanding penalty killer. His presence will make the Hurricanes a more dynamic team whenever he's deemed ready for the NHL.

I will post that   on the Class  topic .

I like the Jarvis pick. 

He’ll be 3 years away, add about 10-20 pounds by then.  Get some AHL time too.

Edited by gocanes0506

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Dundon said that 2 years ago

We have said it collectively for years. Sure it’s a no brainer, but still a very valid goal.  We’re getting there...

Just now, surfzone365 said:

We have said it collectively for years. Sure it’s a no brainer, but still a very valid goal.  We’re getting there...

We’re about 2 years away from being really exciting offensively.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

We’re about 2 years away from being really exciting offensively.

1..2..3 years, we still have the “under construction 🚧” notice on our property. The empire takes time to build.  Good stuff .

Just now, surfzone365 said:

1..2..3 years, we still have the “under construction 🚧” notice on our property. The empire takes time to build.  Good stuff .

In 2 years we have a 4th year Svech, 3rd year Necas, Aho, Turbo, Rees, Suzuki, and Foegele.  Then include any FA deals with the potential of Drury, Bokk, etc.  Most important the kast year of Staal at 6 million. 

10 minutes ago, remkin said:
NHL.com post draft analysis.

13. Carolina Hurricanes - Seth Jarvis, C, Portland (WHL)

NHL Central Scouting: No. 11 (North American skaters)

Jarvis is a smart, skilled player who executes with pace and excels on the power play as well as the penalty kill. The 18-year-old plays hard, goes to the net, and does everything with purpose. Jarvis (5-10, 175) creates offense with his vision, quickness and playmaking ability, and was second in the Western Hockey League with 98 points (42 goals, 56 assists) and a plus-53 rating in 58 games this season.

NHL.com analysis: Jarvis builds his game around his speed and dynamic offensive skills. He can play center or on the wing, and is an outstanding penalty killer. His presence will make the Hurricanes a more dynamic team whenever he's deemed ready for the NHL.

rem, I understand all this hype, used ad infinitum in many resumes? But am I wrong, don't I recall several of you on here criticizing the WHL as having NO DEFENSE? If so, how much of his scoring can be authentic? Just my reservation.

And damn, there goes Lapierre?

Just now, KJUNKANE said:

rem, I understand all this hype, used ad infinitum in many resumes? But am I wrong, don't I recall several of you on here criticizing the WHL as having NO DEFENSE? If so, how much of his scoring can be authentic? Just my reservation.

The Q is the worst for no D. 

• Like 2

Other notable  goalies  in this years  draft is  Nico Daws ,  Bedard , and what ever and what ever .  Next year will be  Jesper Wallstedt 

Obviously not as  good as Askarov  but he is a starter at least . 

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yeah, it's the Q with the Ole' defense. The other thing is that while Jarvis was #2 in the WHL in offense, the guy was insanely on fire at the end, like well over 2 points per game which is Marner type numbers. Could be a fluke, but the scouts I listened to think that him NOT scoring that much earlier was the fluke.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bing_Chow said:

How did they pull that off? I missed it.

Started at 19

19 to Rangers for 22 and 72

22 to Capitals for 25 and their 3rd

Something that bodes well for Jarvis is that I have heard analysts say that he basically “did it all by himself.” He didn’t play on some loaded team with other high end prospects. 

Someone also called him the “energizer bunny” of the draft because he never stops. 

It likely comes down to how much weight he can put on and how good his natural balance/lower body strength is. Some guys are much bigger but are easily knocked off the puck, some small guys are hard to knock off the puck. I think some of it is just genetics/built in because we see so many players of similar sizes with big discrepancies when it comes to their ability to hold onto the puck, win board battles, etc..

At least we don’t have to be worried about a lack of skill, skating, being defensively responsible, and most importantly, work-ethic. 

The fact that he was seen as generally going around where we picked him and after that things were all over the place is also somewhat comforting. 

It’s possible we could have went with a safer pick but the potential reward could be big. 

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Wallinder and Khusnutdinov would be good too. Peterka is a really fast guy.

After I wrote that I meant to go back and include Peterka. Not sure about Khusnutdinov, are you sure that's a real name? It seems like a punchline to a very complicated off color joke.

When I look at the top of the draft, especially for forwards, it's pretty much all skill. I was driving home last night and listening briefly (I have an 8 min commute) to a round table on analyzing the draft. Russ Cohen who is an "all prospects, all the time" kind of guy was just apoplectic that NJ took Shakir Mukhamadullin on D with the #20 pick. 

"Don't take a defensive D man in the first round, they will be there later". He got some push back and got even more forceful: "just don't do it, ever." BTW they passed on Lapierre, who would have been a perfect risk/reward for a team picking for the third time. 

To my view watching drafts pretty closely since around 2007, when teams reach for size or speed overriding lack of production, they are usually disappointed. 

My point is, go for maximal skill and scoring high in the draft. Get your physical in later rounds or out there in the trade/UFA market.