The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

NHL Draft 2020

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think I need a primer on entry level deals in this regard. So the guy cannot play in the AHL. What happens to this contract if he stays in Juniors? I guess he gets the $255K signing bonus only? Can he get that? So he'd only really be able to get his NHL money for the start of this, until he hits 20? 

It would be extremely unlikely for him to make the big team this year. As in, not happening. Maybe next year, but even then would be less likely than not. I guess this contract is, in a way, all about the part of it when he's 20 and older. I guess the signing bonus is the price to make sure he's in the system when that happens?

Deals will slide until the draftee turns 20.  If they turn 20 in September-December then the contract starts counting that year.  If the draftee turns 20 from January-August then contract starts to count the following season.  Deals, like Suzuki, will slide until that moment.  Necas' deal slid 2 years, 1 year in Europe and 2nd year in AHL, until he turned 20 and started in the NHL.  Signing a deal really doesnt mean anything for their eligibility or their start date.  Its all on birthday / 11th game in the NHL (whichever comes first).

Just now, remkin said:

Thanks go. Do they get the signing bonus now?

yes, he gets the signing bonus upon signing.  It is factored back into overall AAV of the contract. 

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

he is a CHL draftee not a Russian draftee.  He cant play in the A for 2 years. 

I wonder how that rule will work if there is a season in the A, but not in CHL?

3 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I wonder how that rule will work if there is a season in the A, but not in CHL?

The Q is playing.  Im not sure how it will work for the OHL (Reex, Suzuki, etc). I am hoping we get to bring them to Chicago to play if there isnt an OHL season. 

Edited by gocanes0506

Cue the old man music. Is there such a thing. Anyways...when I was 18, I made $3.75/hour...and I liked it! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

So the question I have with this is, WHY the prioritization of this particular player? Or, was this just the easiest step?

It may be that this player was the most eager to get a deal done. That $255K will go a long way toward helping his family, assuming they came/want to come over here and be together.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

That $255K will go a long way toward helping his family, assuming they came/want to come over here and be together.

And can help even more if they stay in Russia

Ponomarev  and his father are over in  canada , assuming his family is there with them . 

Ponomarev   signing his ELC  means  that  the canes  believe  he is doing what they asked him to do and  he is doing it .

Canes  have several  players on ELC's    and a lot of Reserves who  have yet to Sign . 

Most likely case is Ponomarev is   going to finish his  year in the Qmjhl    and following next season see where he is in his development  to either send him back to the Q or  assign  him to the  AHL  for Further Development . 

Canes must of Asked Ponamarev  to do a few Tasks   to keep up with and He has shown  that he is doing them  thus the reason why Carolina Signed the kid . 

This is good !   You hate to draft a player that is not going to do   what is asked  for his own development  to improve and they just put it off  .

Carolina got  a winner with this pick ! 

Every year  you hope who ever the canes draft   has  what it takes to  make it to the NHL  and it is  a Hard road to travel for these players .    If they can  show  that desire and commitment to follow through then  who knows  , maybe they will find themselves   skating at the pnc   with thousands of  fans  cheering them on !  

Edited by Canesfanforever

5 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ponomarev  and his father are over in  canada , assuming his family is there with them . 

Ponomarev   signing his ELC  means  that  the canes  believe  he is doing what they asked him to do and  he is doing it .

Canes  have several  players on ELC's    and a lot of Reserves who  have yet to Sign . 

Most likely case is Ponomarev is   going to finish his  year in the Qmjhl    and following next season see where he is in his development  to either send him back to the Q or  assign  him to the  AHL  for Further Development . 

Canes must of Asked Ponamarev  to do a few Tasks   to keep up with and He has shown  that he is doing them  thus the reason why Carolina Signed the kid . 

This is good !   You hate to draft a player that is not going to do   what is asked  for his own development  to improve and they just put it off  .

Carolina got  a winner with this pick ! 

Every year  you hope who ever the canes draft   has  what it takes to  make it to the NHL  and it is  a Hard road to travel for these players .    If they can  show  that desire and commitment to follow through then  who knows  , maybe they will find themselves   skating at the pnc   with thousands of  fans  cheering them on !  

Those are great thoughts Cff, but I somehow doubt that's why the signed this particular player for that? I mean, what you imply is that he of any of the players they've drafted "is doing what they asked him to do"? I'd bet that every player they drafted IS TRYING TO DO WHAT IS ASKED OF THEM. There's obviously something more going on.

32 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Those are great thoughts Cff, but I somehow doubt that's why the signed this particular player for that? I mean, what you imply is that he of any of the players they've drafted "is doing what they asked him to do"? I'd bet that every player they drafted IS TRYING TO DO WHAT IS ASKED OF THEM. There's obviously something more going on.

You would be surprised  how often players get  drafted and  just  keep doing  what ever  and  teams  in the end just give up on them .    That includes later round draft picks also . 

Next year  if  there so happens to be a Canesfest  /  prospects  camp   The Hurricanes will gather up as many players  they have drafted  and see  where they are  in  their development .    Getting Drafted  is step 1 for these guys ,  doing what is needed in order to  make the team  is very hard .   and given what the hurricanes want out of all of their players  they want to see   work ethic ,  hustle ,    in other words to be those "  Rod Brind'Amour Guys "    and if they are ?   then   we will see  where they end up . 

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ah  okay . Wait second , he is  a  European ,    Do you mean players playing in Europe ?   

European drafted players are drafted out of Europe. Europeans drafted out of the CHL, like Svech, have to follow the CHL agreement (CHL draftees).

Edited by gocanes0506

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

European drafted players are drafted out of Europe. Europeans drafted out of the CHL, like Svech, have to follow the CHL agreement (CHL draftees).

Okay thanks for clearing that up . 

Not sure where this  question would go  for topic    so i chose here  since it is dealing in aspects to draftees . 

So  the question is  ,   so when  a player  is  drafted   is it  3 years  that they can go without being signed to a contract or longer  before they can re-enter the draft ? 

Cause the Canes do have some prospects  that are only a year away  from that being a possibility .    Honka , Puistola , 

And does that also apply the same for  players like Slepets that are listed indefinite ? 

13 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Not sure where this  question would go  for topic    so i chose here  since it is dealing in aspects to draftees . 

So  the question is  ,   so when  a player  is  drafted   is it  3 years  that they can go without being signed to a contract or longer  before they can re-enter the draft ? 

Cause the Canes do have some prospects  that are only a year away  from that being a possibility .    Honka , Puistola , 

And does that also apply the same for  players like Slepets that are listed indefinite ? 

Depends on the league they were drafted from.

NCAA: after senior year, they become UFA

CHL: 2 years post draft

European: 4 years

• Like 1

Not much going on, so I thought I'd post a couple of thoughts on the draft, which I am liking more and more every day I look into it. This team is going to have to figure out something upgraded in goal at least next year, but considering we just missed out on the goalie, I really think we nailed another draft. We've already had some experts say we had one of the best position-adjusted drafts last year (and at least one said ours was the best), and I can't help but think we've done it again. 

I can remember many years where analyzing our draft mostly ended after the second round pick. Thus Slavin and Pesce, while someone visible coming out of college were way below the radar on draft day, especially Slavin. Still, before those two popped up, since say 2001 and using 200 NHL games as a cut-off we had one player emerge from post second round the goalie, Frederick Anderson. For skaters, that was 0 for 60 picks. They say that an entire draft post 2nd round is about a collective 12% that any one of them hits 200 NHL games, but even that should have produced 5 players. 

Since 2012, we've had Slavin and Pesce do it, but Foegele almost surely will, Roy has a decent chance, as does Geekie, and last year's draft will throw Rees, Puistola, Honka, Fensore and 6 more darts at that board, and this year Nikishin, Nybeck and Pashin plus a few others. 

That said, IMO this team has made it's mark in second rounders since 2006, we've only had one year where our second rounder didn't hit at least 300 NHL games, and then there was Aho in the glorious second round of 2015. (Two years we didn't have a second rounder, and since 2016 the jury is still out, but I'm guessing that we got a bit Finn-happy after Aho happened and might find Kuok and Loustaren to be misses). I think Drury will do it, but then again, I seem to be on an island on that one. And I'd bet my hat that one or both of Gunler and Ponomaryov make it. 

Well was going to talk about our picks, but ended up with some history. We've been drafting the second round pretty well since 2006, and the later rounds better since 2012, and to my eye even better the last two years, but time will tell.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Since 2012, we've had Slavin and Pesce do it, but Foegele almost surely will, Roy has a decent chance

Do you mean Nicolas Roy?  We traded him to Vegas before last season.  Or is there another Roy and i'm confused?