The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

NHL Playoffs 2020

So what are your  playoff predictions ?  

for me  is see  in the east ,   leafs ,  pens , panthers ,  Canes /    bruins  , pens  ,   lightning  ,  canes   /    Canes  , Lighting ,  Lightning at   cup finals  .

In the west  it's  ,  Flames , Oilers ,  Canucks ,  Yotes /   Blues , Stars , Canucks , knights  /  Blues ,  Stars /   Stars   at cup finals   to take on lightning .  

And lightning  wins cup .  

I'm really getting the feeling that those "proposed" brackets are pretty firm at this point. Canes always go deep right? 

Fact is the NYR owned us this year. 0-4. Outscored us 17-9. 4-2, 3-2, 5-3, 5-2. 

We have to rely on our playoff prowess, because on paper not our best match up. Still wonder if this played into our "no" vote on this format.

Hey we own the playoffs though. It is written that we must go deep.

So monday  june the 8th  is when players might be out of quarantine ?   and after that it is expected a 2 week  training camp will  come next ?   so june the 23  or 24th   we could be looking at  the return of hockey ?  im just going off rushed  numbers here . 

So that's the presumed format, but what are the series, best of 3 or what? Has that even been discussed? Ans are all the games in the same city? I surely would hate to see if we have to venture to NYC for anything right now.

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

So that's the presumed format, but what are the series, best of 3 or what? Has that even been discussed? Ans are all the games in the same city? I surely would hate to see if we have to venture to NYC for anything right now.

I thought I heard best of 5 for the initial "play in" rounds and then best of 7 as usual from there.  But I could be wrong.

Anyone know the status of Pesce and his shoulder surgery?  I haven't heard that he's recovered, and even if so, he has asthma. Would they risk him even playing if the shoulder was ready?  Even without Pesce sounds like we'd have 8 NHL d-men ready to go.  Wonder how they'll juggle all 8?

edit: just read Pesces expected to be out all summer.

Edited by LakeLivin

I heard that they're considering making all players wear full face shields.  That would seem to make a lot of sense.

Edited by LakeLivin

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I heard that they're considering making all players wear full face shields.  That would seem to make a lot of sense.

possibly   but  players need their  drink bottles ,  and each one will be labeled with their name on it  . lol 

14 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Play-in round- best of 5, every other round best of 7.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Anyone know the status of Pesce and his shoulder surgery?  I haven't heard that he's recovered, and even if so, he has asthma. Would they risk him even playing if the shoulder was ready?  Even without Pesce sounds like we'd have 8 NHL d-men ready to go.  Wonder how they'll juggle all 8?

edit: just read Pesces expected to be out all summer.

Pesce will be out for sure.  If the next season doesn’t start until December then he may be ready to start. Nothing before though.

The defense will be stout though.

Slavin-Hamilton

Skjei-TVR

Fleury/Gardiner-Vatenen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

possibly   but  players need their  drink bottles ,  and each one will be labeled with their name on it  . lol 

Drink bottle isn't the problem, it's the respiratory spread of breathing in droplets and aerosols Cff. And face shields aren't going to completely stop those either.

30 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Pesce will be out for sure.  If the next season doesn’t start until December then he may be ready to start. Nothing before though.

The defense will be stout though.

Slavin-Hamilton

Skjei-TVR

Fleury/Gardiner-Vatenen.

And Edmundson. Playing time is going to be hard to come by for a couple of those guys.  Hamilton, Vatanen, and TVR right shot, the other 5 left shot.  How much has Fleury been playing on his off side lately?  

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

And Edmundson. Playing time is going to be hard to come by for a couple of those guys.  Hamilton, Vatanen, and TVR right shot, the other 5 left shot.  How much has Fleury been playing on his off side lately?  

When we play Washington, we may see Edmundson more. We’ll need that physical edge.  Plus Washington will key in on Gardiner, if out there like they did with Hamilton last playoffs.  A team like NYR or others that aren’t dirty, we’ll see more skill in the defense. Similar to how St Louis used Edmundson last season.

Edited by gocanes0506

41 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

When we play Washington, we may see Edmundson more. We’ll need that physical edge.  Plus Washington will key in on Gardiner, if out there like they did with Hamilton last playoffs.  A team like NYR or others that aren’t dirty, we’ll see more skill in the defense. Similar to how St Louis used Edmundson last season.

You don't see Vatanen playing on the second line with Skjei? Not only is he better than TVR, why have 2 pairs that aren't all that familiar with each other instead of just one?  Just curious; if you were the coach and could completely ignore "politics" (salary, status, trade implications, etc.), for the play-in round would you start Gardiner on the third line or Fleury? 

21 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

You don't see Vatanen playing on the second line with Skjei? Not only is he better than TVR, why have 2 pairs that aren't all that familiar with each other instead of just one?  Just curious; if you were the coach and could completely ignore "politics" (salary, status, trade implications, etc.), for the play-in round would you start Gardiner on the third line or Fleury? 

The only reason i put TVR with Skjei is because they have atleast played together before. TVR may be less rusty.

Gardiner/Fleury/Edmundson may be a game time decision based on how they have practiced / who is looking sharper.  

If Gardiner really was struggling because of lingering back issues, maybe he comes back really strong after this and he’d deserves a shot.  If Fleury was slightly more offensive then I would be more inclined to pair him with TVR/Vatanen.  Against the Rangers we’ll need a producer on the third pair.  Now if Gardiner comes back with poor skating and not really improved, then I roll Fleury out there. Tell Hamilton and Skjei, push the pace and take chances.  We have 4 other defenders we can play on the PK or in D zone matchups.  

Gardiner’s passes were good of late. Is he ready for playoff pace and magnification of every play will be the concern.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Drink bottle isn't the problem, it's the respiratory spread of breathing in droplets and aerosols Cff. And face shields aren't going to completely stop those either.

They will be handing out testing to each player to avoid any possible  problems  each day im assuming  .   Those who who would test positive   would then have to go back into  quarantine   for safety measures .  

The NHL announced its Return to Play Plan on Tuesday with the Stanley Cup Playoffs that will include 24 teams.

The tournament will begin with a 16-team, eight-series Qualifying Round and a round-robin competition among the top four teams in each conference to determine seeding for the First Round.

The qualifying round and round-robin will be held at two hub cities to be identified -- one for the 12 participating Eastern Conference teams and one for the 12 Western Conference teams - and begin at a date to be determined. Candidates for the hub cities include Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Vancouver.

Bettman said. "At this time, we are not fixing dates because the schedule of our return to play will be determined both by developing circumstances and the needs of the players."

Games in the qualifying round will be played with playoff overtime rules. The round-robin games will be played with regular-season overtime and shootout rules with ties in the standings broken by regular-season points percentage.

I think it could turn out to be huge having Hamilton back. He was just off the Norris pace when he went down. Most cup winners have a D man of that all around caliber. He will be rusty, but if he can get his game back, it could be a difference maker.

The best case scenario: canes do well (win even) and Toronto loses the first round and moves up 4 spots to 12 or 13.

worst case: canes lose in the first round and win the lottery and Toronto wins the lottery too.

Our defense on paper will be very good, maybe even the best of the season.  Vatanen hasn’t played a game with us and Skjei only has a handful of games. Hamilton doesn’t have a game since his injury.

this compounded schedule may be beneficial for a 1A, 1B type goalie situation.  Unfortunately the Rangers have the same situation.

Our offense is balanced but very streaky. 

we typically get hot early. We repeat here?  

this format with all this break and our new folks makes us very unpredictable.  I do believe this format helps younger teams.

As a team, who stayed fit during the break?  Who was able to get in some ice time somehow, someway?  Who can gel quickly?  Who can get lucky?  If the Canes did/can do those things, they have a shot at going deep.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some eighth or ninth seed in the final.  Fluke year calls for fluke results.