The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

7 hours ago, caniac-1-1 said:

So far, teams facing elimination are 0-6, with CBJ/TOR looking like it will be 0-7 (Leafs trailing 2-0 in the third). 

If Vancouver also wins, the play-in games will be done two days before the boring round-robin finally finishes up.

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Like I said, this formatting SUCKS...

After being uncertain beforehand, I think the league did a good job with this formatting.  They had a lot of things to consider to come up with the right balance.  And they had to err on including more teams than some would like because of the season left to play and, let’s face it, to make sure the maximum number of fans had some rooting interest for tuning in. 

Selfishly, the thing I liked the most, especially during this extended telework period for me, is noon and early afternoon playoff hockey!  I think my co-workers are wondering why my calendar seems to be blocked off a lot as ‘unavailable’ in the afternoon the past week or so! 😊 

16 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

In other news:

8D80DF68-6067-4140-B2C3-E4B5D9F82C96.jpeg

Congratulation JR, you've finally managed to dismantle them. Any bets on how much longer he lasts, over and under?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Congratulation JR, you've finally managed to dismantle them. Any bets on how much longer he lasts, over and under?

Usually the coach goes before the GM. Or they both might walk the plank. Just please dear lord don’t let them win the draft lottery.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

With Pitt and Edm losing their pick slides back to 21st or so. I would rather them lose and have a chance at 13.

But then Toronto has one chance in 8 at the first pick. If they lose to Columbus and win the draft lottery, I might believe it wasn’t rigged if they show it on live television. Please not Toronto or the Rangers. There are some Western teams that need young high end talent!

After Toronto's miracle comeback I'm more convinced than ever that taking our chances with therm winning the lottery is the best play. Look at it this way. If they win, and we go out next round we pick somewhere below 17, but most likely 21-23, slightly better if we both go out, but pretty close. So, if Toronto wins tomorrow, our pick is pretty likely around 21-23. If Toronto loses, then our natural pick is theirs, and that would be 13 or 14 with double the chance it's 13. 

So, if Toronto wins we pick in the 20's, how low depending on how deep both teams go. If Toronto loses, we pick 13 or 14, most likely 13. Unless they win the lottery. OK there's an 87.5% chance they don't. But what if they do? OK, we get no first rounder this year. That sucks, but it's not the end of the world, as we will get 2 first rounders next year. AND next year's Toronto pick is not lottery protected. 

One might say it's not likely that Toronto or we miss the playoffs next year, but first, strange things happen, and second, even if we both make it, we are picking twice in the first round even if it's later. Maybe we use one pick for a player or combine them to trade up? It's not the desired thing at this point, but it's not a catastrophe and that's if Toronto wins the lottery only. 

It's getting quite a bit ahead of the game, but if we pick 13, we have at least a discussion about getting Askarov. Either trading up, or getting lucky. There is almost no chance that he drops into the mid to low 20's. There are still high upside forwards in the mid 20's, but they all have substantial downside too. Even if we go with a  forward at 13, we are going to get a very good one.

Come on Columbus, you got this!

Going forward, I think I'd rather have the chance to beat the Bruins than the Caps. But I really don't care who we play, it's mostly awesome to have hockey to watch again.  My agency sent me to work from home in March, and the major plus right now is hockey is on all day in the background.  I love working from home right now.

• Like 3

Not only did Aho put a final psychological dagger in the floundering Rangers, but any talk of their regular season domination died with the stat the Canes only trailed for 3:06 minutes of the entire series. Seems we own them as it turns out.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Going forward, I think I'd rather have the chance to beat the Bruins than the Caps.

Nah, I’ll take the Craps again, just to shut them up for another year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Usually the coach goes before the GM. Or they both might walk the plank. Just please dear lord don’t let them win the draft lottery.

Somehow it feels inevitable that it will either end up Pittsburgh or Edmonton. 🤦‍♀️

Two questions. 1st who will tune in to see our 1st round opponent at noon?

2nd, did the earthquake this morning act as premonition to the Hurricanes march to Stanley Cup?

29 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Two questions. 1st who will tune in to see our 1st round opponent at noon?

2nd, did the earthquake this morning act as premonition to the Hurricanes march to Stanley Cup?

Yes, and huh?

34 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Yes, and huh?

5.1 quake up in the Mr. Airy area.  Gave a little 10 second shaker here in Raleigh.

They say this is the strongest NC based earthquake since 1916.  Still, the 2011 VA quake (5.8) was felt much more here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

5.1 quake up in the Mr. Airy area.  Gave a little 10 second shaker here in Raleigh.

They say this is the strongest NC based earthquake since 1916.  Still, the 2011 VA quake (5.8) was felt much more here.

Come to Oklahoma...we make our own quakes

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I definitely felt it but wasn’t sure what it was.  I thought Mrs. Storm had fallen upstairs.  When we learned later it was an earthquake, she was not amused by my initial thought at what it was...sigh. 🙄

Edited by Red_Storm
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

I definitely felt it but wasn’t sure what it was.  I thought Mrs. Storm had fallen upstairs.  When we learned later it was an earthquake, she was not amused by my initial thought at what it was...sigh. 🙄

LOL, yeah, I can see how that would have gotten you into trouble.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Bs/Craps game off to a mediocre start...both teams look completely disinterested 

Both teams  dont think it matters   if they have to face the canes .   That will be their own  downfall  if and when either  face the canes . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

14 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Somehow it feels inevitable that it will either end up Pittsburgh or Edmonton. 🤦‍♀️

I'm torn. First I think the fact our guys are young and coached by Roddy that last year has no effect either way on them so neither the 7 game slugfest with the Caps or the sweep by the Bruins will mean anything to them. 

On the flip side I would imagine the Caps would love to get revenge against us so I think we would get their A+++ game. As for the Bruins I don't think they see the Canes as a top team yet.

Neither of them have their game going yet and we will face the loser so they will really be fighting it to get it going. 

Risk is better then Holtby.

To paraphrase all that. I just want to see the Canes come out like they did against the Rags, fired up and ready to go. Either of these teams can be tough. Let's just play Canes hockey.

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Yes, and huh?

Earthquake around here(Va, NC and SC) at 5.1 Richter. Sorry, didn't see the subsequent posts.

Edited by KJUNKANE