The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

NHL Playoffs 2020

Without  a shadow of a doubt these  playoffs  is the most interesting  of all  i have ever  seen .    I wonder though how teams are going to cope  with the loss of the fans roaring the teams on .   Cause you know  they feed off that energy . 

Well July 10th is the start of phase 3.  

I would expect international players to becoming back in the next 2 weeks to get their two weeks of quarantine before the start of training camp.

I assume we see an early August start. 

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Hard to assume anything in todays times.  Any "restart" will be determined by 1 man, our governor.  He controls the level of lockdown all on his own.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Well July 10th is the start of phase 3.  

I would expect international players to becoming back in the next 2 weeks to get their two weeks of quarantine before the start of training camp.

29 minutes ago, cc said:

Hard to assume anything in todays times.  Any "restart" will be determined by 1 man, our governor.  He controls the level of lockdown all on his own.

cc: not sure what you mean.  Canes aren't going to restart play in this state.  NC is off the list of hub cities, so Cooper has nothing to do with league restart.  Although NC's phases may have been a part of the NHL's decision, it is more likely due to hotels, facilities, etc.

As for the Canes practicing, I think they can do it per the current phase 2 parameters as long as there are no fans or gawkers.  It is a "skating rink," but not open for retail.  Basically, training camp is like an industrial work site with essential workers.  ("essential workers": I smell a political diatribe coming from someone.)

BTW, I heard on XM that some Canadian teams are planning to do camp in the USA because of the Canada's 14 quarantine and lack of declaration of the holy NHL players being essential.  The Premier of Alberta is lobbying Trudeau for some exemption, and so far, no dice.  Apparently, this urination contest among political leaders in Canada over NHL hockey is all the news north of the 49th.  The assumption is with the 14 day issue, all hubs will be USA based, so might as well start in the USA.  I personally think it is political posturing to convince Trudeau of the lost opportunity.

I'm still not sure how this is going to work out.  MLB is trying hard to crater their season.  NBA and NHL are having serious restart issues.  I still think a lost season is more likely than a restart, especially if the slow burn of cases continues to increase this summer.  I guess we'll find out sometime, but folks, time is running out.

Edited by wxray1

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I still think a lost season is more likely than a restart, especially if the slow burn of cases continues to increase this summer.  I guess we'll find out sometime, but folks, time is running out.

I'm right here with you wxray. I just think there are too many moving parts to result in anything "meaningful". Right now, I sense that the posturing is as much to placate fans as anything. Would I love to see playoff hockey, surely, BUT things are so far abnormal that I'm just not sure how much meaning they'd have?

44 minutes ago, cc said:

We should start fresh in 2021. Make sure everyone can be safe.

The players and the owners don’t want a fresh start

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm right here with you wxray. I just think there are too many moving parts to result in anything "meaningful". Right now, I sense that the posturing is as much to placate fans as anything. Would I love to see playoff hockey, surely, BUT things are so far abnormal that I'm just not sure how much meaning they'd have?

A big moving part are the foreign players.  The NHL is at about 30% non-North American.  The NBA is about 20% non-NA.  NBA is struggling too, and you'd think their logistics are easier, but maybe not since their bodies are more exposed.  The NBA and NHL are clearly commiserating in their ideas and dates.  Nothing wrong with that, just noticing it.  (They do this during playoffs too.  Every attempt is made to not have games in the late rounds on the same night.)

I like watching the NBA for this process (even though I don't watch the sport when active) because they've been one step ahead of the NHL during this process.  Currently, some NBA players a balking at the restart.  The NBA is going to try to "bubble" the teams in aggregate.  Not sure the NHL will be able to do this as effectively.    I haven't heard if NHL players are hesitating as much.

The interesting thing about the NBA is there is a force majeure clause that has kicked in that is withholding 25% of the players' pay.  So hesitancy to play goes even beyond the pay cut.  Not sure what the NHL has in their contract.

And the latest news from north of the 49th: the BC Premiere was jealous of Alberta, so he now submitted a plan to make "wild halloween contest winner" Trudeau happy.  Basically, force the teams to bubble in place per team in order to absorb the 14 day period.

Cities, States and Provinces want the $$$$. 

Edited by wxray1

I just want to watch hockey again. I like nascar. But I need to watch something at  night again watching something exciting about hockey not this other stuff on the news etc. I was going to go to the Game back in March against the Penguins but couldn't go because of covid. We need to start Phase 4 like one week after the camp instead of a month later. I want to see some scoring goals again!

It is the NY Post, so take it as you want, but it looks like the Canes are headed to Vegas.

Not just the Post, other outlets are indicating Vegas is in.  The same sources say that the NHL really wants to throw a bone to Canada too, and Toronto is becoming the leading contender.  There's just that little sticking point of Canada's 14 day quarantine.

The same writers imply there will be this grand flip flop between the West and the East, so all teams are in the same screwed-up-timezone and non-familiar surroundings boat.

If so, that should make for interesting scheduling.  In the interest of TV, I'm sure they want prime time.  So, I presume many games will be played at 4 to 6 pm out in Vegas, to hit the East coast time of 7 to 9.  What is interesting is the Western games.  Will they be playing them 8 to 10 Toronto time?  I presume so.  Or would they push it even earlier or later in both hubs?   Might have to in order to fit in all the games in one hub.

Should be interesting if they decide to have Midnight hockey in TOR.  No fans, right?  So who cares.  TV crew just needs to hit the no-doze.

EDIT: the more I think about this, the crazier it gets.  Just two hubs.  Hmmm.  Lots of games.  Possible triple overtimes*.  Sounds like we may be potentially watching 4PM games here.  Probably not the Canes, because they'll try to get the Rangers in the late slot.

EDIT*: wait a second.  What are the overtime rules for the "qualifying" round teams?

Edited by wxray1

I heard that the play in games are in full OT playoff rules, but the "jostle for seeding" tourney will be in regular season rules.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I heard that the play in games are in full OT playoff rules, but the "jostle for seeding" tourney will be in regular season rules.

Thanks remkin.  Should be interesting!

The longer this draws out the  more it seems like everything will  be wrapped up  till december .  Then there is talks of  The NHL   not having a 2021 season .    that they would make a come back  for   fall of  2021  - 2022   by that time .    

My biggest question is  ,  What about the drafts ? what about  free agency ?  what about peoples  contracts  ?  what  about  the outdoor series that was for next season ?

What about   training  for the players to be ready when  that time does come ? will players be   up to par for it ? 

7 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

The longer this draws out the  more it seems like everything will  be wrapped up  till december .  Then there is talks of  The NHL   not having a 2021 season .    that they would make a come back  for   fall of  2021  - 2022   by that time .    

My biggest question is  ,  What about the drafts ? what about  free agency ?  what about peoples  contracts  ?  what  about  the outdoor series that was for next season ?

What about   training  for the players to be ready when  that time does come ? will players be   up to par for it ? 

Patience Grasshopper, patience. It will all be sorted out despite how much you and I agonize over it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I believe the talk is wrap up draft and UFA around mid November.  New season would start beginning of the year. There is also discussion NHL may stick to that time frame going forward.  The NHL attendance goes up after December when football is tailing off / done

On 6/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, wxray1 said:

I'm still not sure how this is going to work out.  MLB is trying hard to crater their season...

MLB is crazy, they must still think it’s the 1950s and they’re the King of Sports and fans will always be there.  The fans haven’t been there for over 20 years.  Of the major team sports, baseball has the least physical contact and had the easiest path to get back to playing games safely.  This was their big opportunity!  Baseball was played through the Spanish Flu!  Even Babe Ruth catching the Spanish Flu in spring training that year couldn’t stop baseball back then, but now, these owners and players look like they are going to squander their opportunity to take center stage in the sports world, at least for a fleeting moment until the NBA and NHL figure out their restart timing.

1 hour ago, Red_Storm said:

MLB is crazy, they must still think it’s the 1950s and they’re the King of Sports and fans will always be there.

Well said.   As a 50s something, I grew up without soccer.  Sure, we knew the game's general rules.  We knew about Pelé.  We'd try to kick it around a bit and throw our hands up in frustration.  "We need to do something with these things, called hands."

Baseball and softball it was.  Fresh air.  Green grass.  Wrigley field a short distance away with admittance to the bleachers at 75 cents.  Street hockey and football in the fall and winter.  Stuff to do outside.  Inside was basketball.

My point being the kids today are raised with alternatives, like Soccer.  It is encouraged in schools.  And with no-header rules in school, the thought is it is less concussion prone.  (I'd argue that because the collision risk causes concussions.)  But it is a thing among youth, especially when they want to join in with their immigrant friends who love the game.  Not a political statement, just reality, and I have no bone with them.  Wrigley field?  Bleachers are $20 to $80, but you can't just go.  They've been sucked up by season ticket holders, so expect to pay $80 on up.

Baseball fans are social fans.  This element has always been a huge factor.  Go to the game and talk and drink a lot of beers with friends during all the massive down-time between innings and plays.  Guess what is going on and will go on the for probably the next few years?  Distancing.  And then there is TV.  Used to be free.  There was always baseball on basic cable too.  Not anymore.  Specialty stations at higher packages.  The MLB is crazy.  I think they finally may be seeing that they are being hit with multiple waves of pain as apparently they are talking again today.  They are in danger of losing the sport, not just the next few seasons.

This is a playoff thread, so I'll take up my rant on baseball somewhere else, but hockey is clearly in a different state with respect to both the fans and payrolls.  As the 4th sport of the majors (and some want to demote it to the 5th), it has a better chance of surviving in many ways.  Put the playoffs on TV this summer without MLB being on and desperate fans who never give hockey a chance will get hooked.  Not all of them, but a portion.  You can be sure the MLB knows this and perhaps that has resulted in renewed negotiations.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

Great points, wxray. Now, what the hockey owners SHOULD do, if they are smart, is learn from the mistakes that MLB is making, and avoid them?

Good Grief, the NHL finally doing something reasonable? Am reading on Hockey Buzz mind you, that the Western teams "may" be playing in Vegas, while the Eastern, Toronto. TOO much sense, must be a mistake?

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Good Grief, the NHL finally doing something reasonable? Am reading on Hockey Buzz mind you, that the Western teams "may" be playing in Vegas, while the Eastern, Toronto. TOO much sense, must be a mistake?

They are talking about this on XM right now.  Apparently, the players are used to playing evenings.  So, there must be some push back to play "normal" body times. 

But that screws up TV.  Guess what is going to pay the bills?  TV.

So, yeah, looks like staying in your zone and giving these two teams some sort of "advantage" is gaining momentum.  I don't think the advantage will be significant without fans.  All teams would have to bubble at the hotels, ride the bus, etc.  They can tear out the carpet in the home dressing room, cover the logos, and paint the emblem at center ice without much cost.  The announcer, timekeeper and DJ can come from somewhere else.  Not that the timekeeper would ever, ever, fudge the clock.  Ha ha.

Even playing in their own zone is going to have issues.  In the play-in/seeding period, they are going to have to play 3 games per day to get a cadence of a game every other day.  Unless they want to drag this out, some team is going to have to play at 4 or 10.

Edited by wxray1

Three Lightening players and some staff have tested Covid positive. The Bolts rink has been shut down till July 6.  Everyone knows what happens when urinating into the wind. This abridged Attempt at a season is a cluster [****] that will get worse. What happens if a player/staff gets infected during the tourney? They forfeit the series? Healthiest team wins the Cup by default?  Money aside which of course is impossible, this restart attempt is front loaded for failure. 

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/lightning/2020/06/19/multiple-lightning-players-test-positive-for-the-coronavirus/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Three Lightening players and some staff have tested Covid positive. The Bolts rink has been shut down till July 6.  Everyone knows what happens when urinating into the wind. This abridged Attempt at a season is a cluster [****] that will get worse. What happens if a player/staff gets infected during the tourney? They forfeit the series? Healthiest team wins the Cup by default?  Money aside which of course is impossible, this restart attempt is front loaded for failure. 

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/lightning/2020/06/19/multiple-lightning-players-test-positive-for-the-coronavirus/

Bettman said cancelling the season would be "too easy"... so a cluster [****] oughta put a big ol' SMILE on his face!

• Like 1

Not really understanding why anyone would think we have the ability to stop NHL players selectively from getting this.    Its not an IF but a when scenario. Humans always think they have the ability to control nature. Impact it yes, control no.  Folly of Man.