The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

I have always believed the return to a 2020 Stanley Cup playoff was ambitious and foolish at best. I will be surprised if it actually happens. My preference is that the league works toward a plan to return to hockey sometime in 2020/21. Having said that I will watch if the playoff season is resumed this summer.

I'm not sure a Stanley Cup awarded under these circumstances has much meaning, It will always come with the dreaded *. I have already seen the cup referred to as the COVID Cup.

16 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I have always believed the return to a 2020 Stanley Cup playoff was ambitious and foolish at best. I will be surprised if it actually happens. My preference is that the league works toward a plan to return to hockey sometime in 2020/21. Having said that I will watch if the playoff season is resumed this summer.

I'm not sure a Stanley Cup awarded under these circumstances has much meaning, It will always come with the dreaded *. I have already seen the cup referred to as the COVID Cup.

I am so right there with you OBXer. Pushing for these "tainted" at best playoffs, seems to be a classic non sequitur?

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Less tainted than any lockout shortened year.

MLB is talking about ties and starting runners on 2nd base in limited extra innings.  Now there's an asterisk.  (Although like the shootout, it may become standard in the future.)

I'm still with you guys about the season being doubtful.

I made the following prediction on the Covid thread on March 31.  #2 and #6 both look to be done deals.  #1 is becoming more likely, but let's see.  #3 is in play, but I even doubt we'll have a 20-21 season even if the playoffs this summer occur.  #4 and #5 are still in play.  Waivers are becoming standard everywhere.

1) 2019-20 is done.  No playoffs.  Toast.  Another rare blank year on The Cup.

2) The NHL, NBA, MLB will contract for quick turn around COVID testing.  Each player will be tested on a regular basis, maybe before each game.  However, this will ONLY happen after the current test crisis relaxes.  Sometime this summer.

3) Next season will at least start with games played in an empty stadium.  It may be the whole season.  A premium may be required to watch the games live (in lieu of the in-person ticket)

4) When fans return, part of the security line will include a temperature check.   I would expect this to be playoffs 2021.  Fans will have to sign a waiver that they can still be infected despite temperature checks.

5) A vaccine will come on-line summer 2021.  And for the 2021-22 season, things will start to appear normal.

6) There will be labor peace.  Suddenly everyone will realize where the money is coming from.

• Like 3

What does everyone think of the Uniforms being black for the playoffs. Gonna love that to see it again. 11-2-2 in record for the uniform. Looking forward to July 10th.

2 hours ago, JDJERK83 said:

What does everyone think of the Uniforms being black for the playoffs. Gonna love that to see it again. 11-2-2 in record for the uniform. Looking forward to July 10th.

Honestly, not holding my breath for playoffs at any stage this year. Today's mandate to begin Friday for mask wearing in this state befits a society that has been cavalier about this very thing? "Back to Black" is certainly where we are going, and please lets stop referring to the trend we are seeing as a "second wave" because truly, we've not gotten thru the 1st so lets stop deluding ourselves. As I go out in public, here in Sampson Co., it's no wonder we here in this county are 75th in the nation in increasing COVID-19 cases? Quite a distinction, right?

14 hours ago, JDJERK83 said:

I like the black better than the red, but not sure if we'll see either in the near future.

I like the black. The team wins more in them and we seem to need every edge we can get vs the NYR. 

Yep I remember Cam Ward didn't like them as much because he couldn't see the puck.  I like the ones now though the design is better.

I wish they would just call it a season and think about 2020/21.  Golf tournaments just opened up the last two weeks and multiple golfers and caddies had to withdraw due to positive testing. This is all happening in a bubble environment. Cant imagine what will happen with Hockey and other sports once camps resume.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I wish they would just call it a season and think about 2020/21.  Golf tournaments just opened up the last two weeks and multiple golfers and caddies had to withdraw due to positive testing. This is all happening in a bubble environment. Cant imagine what will happen with Hockey and other sports once camps resume.

I don't think golf is in the same kind of bubble as hockey proposes.

https://golf.com/news/pga-tour-bubble-noble-difficult-enforce/

But one day into this unprecedented five-week run of spectator-free golf on the PGA Tour, one thing is clear: there is no bubble.

The players are staying here and there and the caddies are, too. That is, in the four Tour-designated official hotels and in other accommodations, too. They’re eating … wherever. They traveled here in their own cars, on commercial flights, in private planes.

Hockey proposes getting everyone there by their charters.  Then bus travel only to key hotels.  Meals in the bubble.  Perhaps some targeted entertainment.

However: they won't be locked down with the doors welded.  They could roam.  I think their biggest risk is the service staff.   These hotels and rinks require a lot of service staff.  They can bring it in, just as like happens in the retirement homes.

I'd like to make the point again. If we are truly concerned about the players and staff, we have to consider the alternative. It is not a vacuum. If the playoffs are out and next season pushed back, these very same players will now be out of any kind of bubble. They will be out at protests (Tyler Seguin) and bars and parties and gatherings, and families that are out and about etc, etc etc. 

Djokovic is a great example. That tournament had no masks, very little precautions and he was seen at a party with lots of people. Thats an anti-bubble. 

I think it's entirely possible that fewer players will contract Covid in this bubble of playing than just out there. Again the NHL players that tested positive thus far have not been in the bubble. 

It's still fluid, and surely not final, but I still think it moves forward. 

The location of the bubble matters too.  The rumor is that the previous rumor of Vegas being a hub city is losing steam due to rising cases.  Consider the temptations of Vegas, along with community spread COVID ramping up in the city*.  What could go wrong?  The rumor had the announcement coming last week.  No announcement.  So, now the rumor is that the NHL is reconsidering hub cities based on current COVID rates, along with other factors.

Better to put the boys in Edmonton... Maybe.

* - Gambling and COVID.  I see no way that can be done safe.  Not surprised their rates are rising.

Edited by wxray1

On 6/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, wxray1 said:

I don't think golf is in the same kind of bubble as hockey proposes.

Hockey proposes getting everyone there by their charters.  Then bus travel only to key hotels.  Meals in the bubble.  Perhaps some targeted entertainment.

However: they won't be locked down with the doors welded.  They could roam.  I think their biggest risk is the service staff.   These hotels and rinks require a lot of service staff.  They can bring it in, just as like happens in the retirement homes.

I dont disagree but golfers don't sit shoulder to shoulder on a bench or gargle and spit Gatorade either. I'd think that a hockey locker room is a lot more dangerous than a golfers lockeroom. Many golfers dont even use the locker room....travel to the course already changed....grab a ride back the hotel after a round for a shower.  These hub city locker rooms are going to be interesting with multiple teams utilizing the space.

43 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I dont disagree but golfers don't sit shoulder to shoulder on a bench or gargle and spit Gatorade either. I'd think that a hockey locker room is a lot more dangerous than a golfers lockeroom. Many golfers dont even use the locker room....travel to the course already changed....grab a ride back the hotel after a round for a shower.  These hub city locker rooms are going to be interesting with multiple teams utilizing the space.

Well you are talking about what happens if the virus invades the bubble.  Frequent testing is supposed to mitigate that issue.  We'll see, if it happens.

:letssee:

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Blues have been forced to cancel their Phase Two workouts on Friday due to “multiple” positive tests for COVID-19 among players. Players would not be reporting back to the ice until Monday, but at least one player will skip those workouts out of an abundance of caution.

There's no bubble right now.  Expect a lot of positives if the boys don't isolate during this practice.  I wonder if this is part of the 26 so far, or more to be added to that tally?  We'll see since the NHL is announcing status about once a week or so.

Edited by wxray1

Look, even as a proponent of this whole thing, I'm not sure how well the bubble will work. But TBH all of these guys testing positive now is just more proof that NHL players, like everyone else in society will get Covid in the course of their "normal" lives. The alternative to these guys playing in the NHL bubble is not for them to lock down alone on an island until a vaccine hits. I'm going out on a limb here not being an NHL alumni, but I'm thinking that these guy's typical off season involves a more robust social life than the average person. 

I could have sworn half listening to a XM piece on an X NHL player who coaches juniors that he says junior hockey players are practicing and scrimmaging now. Life will go on more and more as this becomes the new normal. I am really thinking that the NHL bubble could be one of the safer places to be. 

These guys will have to test negative over and over, and then something like 7 times in a row. Just to step into the bubble, but then keep testing negative to stay there. 

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

These guys will have to test negative over and over, and then something like 7 times in a row. Just to step into the bubble, but then keep testing negative to stay there. 

Get them out of here now and ship them to Canada today.   A family member got tested last Saturday and is still waiting for their test today (1 week).  The southern surge in cases, and probably this state's long term care home focus is absorbing resources, such as reagent.  I am rather unhappy to hear of this delay.  Basically, it is a useless test if it takes over a week.

So now we're going to run more tests for this entertainment purpose?  Yes, it is hitting home. 

https://patch.com/north-carolina/charlotte/nc-labs-facing-shortages-covid-19-testing-chemicals

North Carolina is running into critical shortages of chemicals needed to conduct coronavirus testing, which is slowing down the turnaround time for test results, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Mandy Cohen said Thursday.

"Commercial and hospital labs across the country and labs here in North Carolina are again running into shortages of important chemicals call reagents that are needed to process those lab tests," she said. "Federal help and action is needed to address these supply issues right now."

The supply issues are delaying some test results by as much as week, she said.

Edited by wxray1

Yes available tests are running low in NC and some regions. But as with sooooo many things in this whole thing, half the story is half the story. As of May 1 the US was testing around 245K people per day, massively more than any other country. The number of tests has more than tripled since then. We just hit 720K tests in one day. There are more tests, by far, than ever before. So why the testing crisis? Because now we are at the point where just about anyone can just show up and ask for a test. Add that to a surge in cases, and even more people ask for testing on a massive scale in NC, and we get a local shortage.  

This is not ideal, but it's not the same thing as some massive fail in making tests. 

Right now the routine tests (non hospitalized) are being sent out of state, and for some people in NC this sucks because there are more delays and getting tests back now can be too long. Anyone who is sick enough to be admitted though, where there are actually treatments, gets a test and a result in less than 2 hours, even now. 

Anyways, the problem is regional combined with dramatic expansion in who can be tested, not total tests, which just keep expanding. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Yes available tests are running low in NC and some regions. But as with sooooo many things in this whole thing, half the story is half the story.

It is the WHOLE story for us right now.  We don't need entertainers taking up testing space.

Edited by wxray1

I am sure the bean counters at the NHL and in the NHLPA, see more revenue without fans if they conduct playoffs for last season into September, play an abbreviated season in 2021, starting maybe in January, followed by another round of more lucrative playoffs. But aside from $$$$ considerations, I don’t see how it makes sense. If they incur all of the expense to get this thing started and have more than a few isolated positive tests, it all goes down the drain. Never mind the risk to players, coaches and staff. They may have their bubble, but once COVID gets inside, it’s Katie bar the door. But I would raise a different issue. Are these teams even the same ones who last played in March? Typically, from the awarding of the Cup to the next season opener is about 4 months. If this “playoff” gets off the ground in late July, it will have been 4 1/2 months since any team played a game. You may extend contracts and keep the same players on the same teams, but a lot will have changed. Hockey is so much a game of momentum, both within a game and within a season. Wherever teams stood with this, good or bad, on March 12th, is long gone. It doesn’t feel to me like these “playoffs”, if they happen, are really connected to the 2019-20 season. I’ll sure watch if they play, but I don’t think it’s wise on a lot of levels.

Big question i have that has not been discussed  yet .  

How are the Games going to be formatted if there are only 2  hub  cities ?   And  how will they be stretched ?   obviously    what would make sense  is   given  the 16 teams  for the play in round  ,  you are looking at  4 games   on one day for the east conference  4 for the west , and  then on the next  day  2 for the east  and 2 for the west ? 

play in rounds  have best  of 5 ,    round robins  would just be  playing against  their own conference   winner takes top seating .  that  could take  a week and a half  to finish . 

after the play in rounds  you would have  normal procedures   going forward  for best of 7  in round 1  so  that alone could take 2  weeks .    Then  round 2  could take 2 weeks .  

With round 3   being the  final 4   that could take  2 weeks .    and the finals themselves  could  be done late october . unless they   want to go crazy and do back to back games . 

CFF: it has all been speculation.  No good details on schedule have leaked yet, EXCEPT, that they will be done "mid Oct" for a draft at that time, and free agency Nov 1.

All B2B talk has been speculation.  I think slack will be taken up between rounds, and in the finals which traditionally have way too many games between them.  No travel, not necessary.

As for when the games will be played?  Unknown.  I've seen anything from games at 1 PM to games starting at 10PM.  We shall see.