Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Suzuki, Lorentz, and Ned are at camp

OK I'm fascinated about Suzuki. This is a guy with very high upside for the #28 pick. He hasn't blown the doors off in terms of points in juniors, but there is skill there. This is not to say he wasn't scoring, at 1.31 ppg, he is #24 in the CHL, but he's in a post draft year. Still, only just turned 19, on the young end of his draft. Anyways, the eyeball test on him is intriguing indeed. He's most likely a couple of years from a serious NHL sniff for real, but it is interesting that he makes this camp. 

 

Technically though, camp is not roster. I think they can put 30 ish players in the bubble after camp? So how many guys end up at this camp? Could be some other interesting names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, remkin said:

OK I'm fascinated about Suzuki. This is a guy with very high upside for the #28 pick. He hasn't blown the doors off in terms of points in juniors, but there is skill there. This is not to say he wasn't scoring, at 1.31 ppg, he is #24 in the CHL, but he's in a post draft year. Still, only just turned 19, on the young end of his draft. Anyways, the eyeball test on him is intriguing indeed. He's most likely a couple of years from a serious NHL sniff for real, but it is interesting that he makes this camp. 

 

Technically though, camp is not roster. I think they can put 30 ish players in the bubble after camp? So how many guys end up at this camp? Could be some other interesting names.

interesting you used eyeball test with Suzuki.  pun intended?

 

Suzuki was on a pretty bad team and his numbers shot up once he has some talent around him. I think another, hopefully healthy, season in Juniors will be good for him and he should be a great addition to the AHL squad at the end of next season (if there is one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to the Adam Gold interview that I believe took place Friday(someone please correct this if I'm wrong), and though it's difficult for me to stomach the guy and his sidekick, they had on John Forslund which is why I listened in. At any rate, John made a point that I'd not thought of and perhaps most have, but he opined that the goalies will be even more so the focus of these peculiar playoff games. What should be patently obvious to anyone who thinks on it(which I obviously didn't), the goalies are the most affected by absence of corporate practice because players can skate and shoot in out of the way or perhaps more formal rinks, or even in their basements, but goalies, even if they have some type of shooting device, have not been able to have meaningful sharpening of skills. That obviously will be the real "game within the game", IF these games come to fruition?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

interesting you used eyeball test with Suzuki.  pun intended?

 

Suzuki was on a pretty bad team and his numbers shot up once he has some talent around him. I think another, hopefully healthy, season in Juniors will be good for him and he should be a great addition to the AHL squad at the end of next season (if there is one).

Pun not intended, but I was thinking about writing about his eyeball when I wrote the post, so maybe subconsciously....

 

I did wonder though, recovering from that injury, it does make one consider how much that might affect things. I still have high hopes for him being a draft steal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Listened to the Adam Gold interview that I believe took place Friday(someone please correct this if I'm wrong), and though it's difficult for me to stomach the guy and his sidekick, they had on John Forslund which is why I listened in. At any rate, John made a point that I'd not thought of and perhaps most have, but he opined that the goalies will be even more so the focus of these peculiar playoff games. What should be patently obvious to anyone who thinks on it(which I obviously didn't), the goalies are the most affected by absence of corporate practice because players can skate and shoot in out of the way or perhaps more formal rinks, or even in their basements, but goalies, even if they have some type of shooting device, have not been able to have meaningful sharpening of skills. That obviously will be the real "game within the game", IF these games come to fruition?   

It would be interesting for predicting purposes to see if there is a book on goalies visa vi fast or slow starts historically. If a given goalie is at either extreme and also goalie tandems, that could be a factor. 

 

Are there going to be any "preseason" games at all? I don't recall that there would be. I know they don't want more exposure than necessary, but dang, even a game or two would seem better than none. Two would allow each goalie a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, remkin said:

It would be interesting for predicting purposes to see if there is a book on goalies visa vi fast or slow starts historically. If a given goalie is at either extreme and also goalie tandems, that could be a factor. 

 

Are there going to be any "preseason" games at all? I don't recall that there would be. I know they don't want more exposure than necessary, but dang, even a game or two would seem better than none. Two would allow each goalie a game.

All i know is training camp is coming soon and  they will have some scrimmages . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, remkin said:

It would be interesting for predicting purposes to see if there is a book on goalies visa vi fast or slow starts historically. If a given goalie is at either extreme and also goalie tandems, that could be a factor. 

 

Are there going to be any "preseason" games at all? I don't recall that there would be. I know they don't want more exposure than necessary, but dang, even a game or two would seem better than none. Two would allow each goalie a game.

No, I don't there are "preseason games". Thinking further on this, I'd bet that reluctance to "pull a goalie", if he's trending badly, will go out the window. Rod will undoubtedly have to react quickly to stem the flood. Also, I bet these games take on a more early season "shootout", than an end of year chess match due to this delay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No preseason between teams.  There may be some scrimmages.  Don't expect anything for us fans to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Also, I bet these games take on a more early season "shootout", than an end of year chess match due to this delay?

 

It is going to be wild.  Everyone will be all-in, especially the first play-in round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait a second.  There might be something when they enter the bubble.  More confusion from the NHL announcement.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-nhlpa-agree-to-four-year-cba-extension-protocols-for-phases-3-4/c-317334394

 

Quote

The teams will be housed in Phase 4 Secure Zones, which will include hotels, restaurants, practice facilities and the arena where exhibition, qualifier and postseason games will be played. Each person inside the secure zone, including players, coaches, team and NHL personnel, arena and practice facility staff, and vendors and service providers will be tested daily for COVID-19 and have symptom screening and temperature checks.

 

What are these "exhibition" games the NHL speaks of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MidnightAngel said:

I'm pretty sure that all 24 teams in the two hub cities will play one exhibition game after training camp ends but before the qualifiers begin.

Indeed.  There are not a lot of details, but it looks like there will be a 1 game "pre-season".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the ensemble at XM this morning... Latest leak/rumors about the schedule format for the first set of games (play-in and seeding):

- 3 games per day, per hub, so 6 games per day

- Local times: 12 noon, 4pm, 8pm

- Noon and 8pm games are play-in round (unlimited overtime possible)

- 4 pm game is seeding game (limited to end in shootout)

- Probably play every other day (the math works perfectly for that)

- Likely that the East plays in the East, the West in the West

 

Since the Canes play the Rags, expect most of them to be 8 pm games.  Ratings, ratings, ratings.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk about guinea pigs, this sealing off everything and testing infinitum, this is taking on the appearance of an elaborate laboratory experiment? They ought to think of getting a few Infectious Disease experts in the "bubble" to study transmission, infectivity, etc.☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Indeed.  There are not a lot of details, but it looks like there will be a 1 game "pre-season".

Seems like you have to at least have one. Goalies can get a half game each probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Since the Canes play the Rags, expect most of them to be 8 pm games.  Ratings, ratings, ratings.

 

 

Best-case scenario for the Canes.  Canes don't do afternoon.  If they get a bunch of noon games, forget about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

 

 

Best-case scenario for the Canes.  Canes don't do afternoon.  If they get a bunch of noon games, forget about it.

 

I seem to have a vague recollection that the Canes won their last early game? 

 

Even if not, if results are based on past trends, playing against the Rags, forget about it. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets also not forget the inevitable "win it for the Gipper effect" we will have to face since NYC took it so tough from the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brindy can use the "nobody expects us to win" and we can show the world. Us against everyone. They don't respect us. etc. Williams' answer was a pretty good one on the NY thing, to the effect of "Washington owned us during the season too, but the playoffs are a different thing." Heck just ask Tampa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well guys, the dark days are looming ever closer? Seeing a few universities are considering suspending fall sports, including UNC.  I realize that these are college age kids, and likely there's more liability with them than professional athletes, but the ground swell is there. Hope I'm wrong, but time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well guys, the dark days are looming ever closer? Seeing a few universities are considering suspending fall sports, including UNC.  I realize that these are college age kids, and likely there's more liability with them than professional athletes, but the ground swell is there. Hope I'm wrong, but time will tell. 

They have no bubble.  No means to create a bubble.  The NHL will move forward.  We'll see how the bubble works, if it works.  The critical time is the next 2 weeks to get into the bubble.

 

Speaking of college... So there will be no sports, but class?  Yeah, that will work just fine </sarc>.  I'm not looking forward to living in the same city with a super-spreader factory in my back yard.

Edited by wxray1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well guys, the dark days are looming ever closer? Seeing a few universities are considering suspending fall sports, including UNC.  I realize that these are college age kids, and likely there's more liability with them than professional athletes, but the ground swell is there. Hope I'm wrong, but time will tell. 

Just saw (I'm a bit behind on this) that the Ivy League is canceling fall sports including football, though they might try in the spring. So, whatever, I haven't watched Ivy league football in a long time. But it got me thinking about our boy Jack Drury over at Harvard. The combination of lots of online classes and the possibility of no or delayed hockey, might nudge him towards signing with us. You all know my feelings about this thing after watching Adam Fox get his Harvard papers then pick his team and get lost to the Rangers, ironically since we're playing them to get into the playoffs. 

 

Drury had a very good sophomore year scoring 20 goals in just 28 games (#1 on the team, #2 in NCAA in goal/game), and 1.39 ppg for the year, #4 in the NCAA, but a very similar number to #2. And #3 on his team in plus/minus. Given all of our flashy upside prospects at forward, Drury is less of that, but a lethal shot and a very mature game. This is a guy to sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remkin said:

Just saw (I'm a bit behind on this) that the Ivy League is canceling fall sports including football, though they might try in the spring.

 

Big10 has announced play within conference only for a handful of sports, with the 'minor' sports likely silent.   Some of those minors are Olympic sports.

 

The word is the ACC saw this coming and although not officially announced, they'll do the same since the dominos are all connected.  ACC will "help out" Notre Dame play football.

 

I'm not sure what conference-only does for safety.   This is just weird.  Expect everything to be nuked soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...