The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

38 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Svech is ready.

Vatanen is....not

Vantanen looks like he just wanted to immediately pretend that didn't just happen. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, remkin said:

Vantanen looks like he just wanted to immediately pretend that didn't just happen. 

svech is going to be ridiculous.

32 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

svech is going to be ridiculous.

I think he was going about half speed on that too. 

Roster is up

image.thumb.jpeg.4b37c28936a905d1c42c362e380a7d58.jpeg

max McCormick is the biggest surprise. Really surprised no Bishop too.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

They added in 3 new players for the playoffs and why? Lorentz Suzuki and McCormick.

Edited by JDJERK83

30 minutes ago, JDJERK83 said:

They added in 3 new players for the playoffs and why? Lorentz Suzuki and McCormick.

Because they can go to 30.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Schedule is tight.  Yes there are back to backs.   East plays in the East 

Read somewhere that the playoff officials have been named and Tim Peel isn’t one of them.

So this is already shaping up to be a great playoffs!

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Roster is up

Peace’s recovery time was supposed to be up in October.  ???

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Even a few weeks ago, they said he was making great progress.  I'm dubious.

Taking a chance on Pesce's availability at some point with the tenth spot is worth it. If we're down to our tenth d man something terribles happened.

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Waddell said, about 2 weeks or so, the Pesce could be ready as early as the first round of the playoffs. I assume that means after the play-in series. Hopefully we hold out on playing him until the end. We have 9 other defenders and 6 are top 4 types.

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Interesting they would only do  some  back to back  games  during the play in round for  some teams  and not for others  if it only goes to 3 games . 

I'm sure that's a function of trying to complete that playoff round in as few days as practicable while subject to a limit of 3 games a day at each location. Shouldn't be too much of an issue given that teams are coming in fresh and healthy after the layoff, and both teams would be in the same situation.

18 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Are those vertical columns actual times? I heard we were playing mid/early. It does make some sense to try to to keep teams at the same time every day. Are these games going to be on an NBC channel? 

Another factor on back to backs is no travel makes it easier. We've been decent in back to backs recently. 

18 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Roster is up

Yeah had to look McCormick up. He does have 71 NHL games, which probably played in. 

Suzuki is a bit of a surprise to me. Huge upside but so young, not even AHL experience yet. There is just no room on the blue line, but I'd really like to see Bean in action. 

I do wonder about Vatanen. Yes he's the elusive RHD and he has 434 NHL games. But he has not played a single game with this team. There is a thing where a team goes out and gets help at the deadline, then that help bumps guys from the lineup that don't deserve it, then the team struggles. Not only a lack of any time to get chemistry, but the psychology of why is, say, Fleury sitting. I guess he's used to it. I get the feeling we are really planning on using him, but man even a few games at the end of the year would have been better. I remember hearing Brind'Amour talking about Skjei, and saying he didn't have enough time to adjust yet. And he had 7 games. Then their's Gardiner's first half of the season. 

Suzuki can open some eyes, but Geekie can secure a roster spot if he does well. As could Bean if he ever sees the ice.

If im picking pairs against the Rangers:

Slavin-Hamilton

Skjei-Vatanen

Gardiner/Fleury-TVR

we need skating against the Rangers.  Now if we go against Washington then I insert Edmundson to hit people.

Edited by gocanes0506

45 minutes ago, remkin said:

Are those vertical columns actual times?

Not sure.  This chart is from NBC, so it may very well be leaning to what they want to do.  I sure wouldn't cry if we played consistently early.  I like my sleep and in retirement, 12 noon games sound great to me!  Having Crosby on late probably is a better draw than Rags-Canes, to be honest.

The official word from the NHL is: "(All times, TV information will be announced at a later date; home team listed second)"

TV viewship will be maximized depending on the games to be played, I'm sure.

Update on Pesce from Waddell today:

Pesce will be cleared for non contact activities at the end of August and contact at the end of September.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Update on Pesce from Waddell today:

Pesce will be cleared for non contact activities at the end of August and contact at the end of September.

Now that makes more sense!  Thanks for the update, Mr. Gocanes.

If I'm reading things right, then Pesce would have an outside chance of being available for a cup final? 

I suspect it's true that with 9 other D, we should be fine, but as we entertain covering the distant possibility that we might go that far, then there is also the distant possibility that a rash of injuries and a couple of Covid cases could put us to that 10th D man. Need 4 D to go down to need that. Not likely, but then neither is a cup final or that Pesce would be ready, or even used at that point if we made it that far. 

I guess Roland McKeown is....not signed? Talk about a guy who just can't get a shot. Forsling? Same? Those guys could be pressed in if calamity hit. 

It is interesting that Pesce would agree to go into the bubble and not play.

I'd like to see Joey Keane get to practice and get some time with the team.

A few one line bursts from Chip today.

Waddell said players will be tested every other day during camp.

If they get a long stream of negatives right before the week in bubble countdown, things would look pretty good.

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

A few one line bursts from Chip today.

Waddell said players will be tested every other day during camp.

If they get a long stream of negatives right before the week in bubble countdown, things would look pretty good.

Brian Burke was on XM on Friday, and had a string of goofball stuff as usual.  (Last week it was something about "Sucking on boat gas.")  This time it was something like: no stopping for coffee and chatting with the barista, no stopping for the burger on the way home, no beer with the boys at the bar, no stopping for milk on the way back, etc.  Except he said it all in a much more flowery way.  :)

He's right.  These guys and their families have to keep it tight and isolated right now.