The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Off-Season Trades 2020

I'm curious as to what most of think should be our number one positional trade target. For me it's a top six winger

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

I'm curious as to what most of think should be our number one positional trade target. For me it's a top six winger

Yes I agree with that   , also  a couple of bottom 6  guys  could be needed .   Depends on what the Canes do  after next season ,  Hopefully the options will be on the list . 

I'd say goalie if it's a true upgrade. But there are a few guys scheduled to be UFA's or trade bait that are actually pretty elite. If we can't make that move, and assuming we can't move J, then I'd go winger too.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I'd say goalie if it's a true upgrade. But there are a few guys scheduled to be UFA's or trade bait that are actually pretty elite. If we can't make that move, and assuming we can't move J, then I'd go winger too.

Top 6 or goalie, the latter as a bridge prior to Kotch or maybe Askarov if we could be so fortunate to draft him? As to bottom 6, I just do not see how that is necessary, or what do we have prospects currently ranked in the 5-6 best range for? Surely 1 or a couple of this high ranking group should be ready, possibly even for a top 6 role?

10 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

What a POS   Staal  is  .   wow , just wow ! 

Because he actually exercised a stipulation of the contract his GM gave him?

please

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:01 PM, OBXer said:

I am less interested in what makes sense to the Yotes and more in what makes sense to us. This is the second goalie rumor involving us from arguable credible sources. It would appear in spite of all the talk of staying with what we have a goalie change is one of our priorities.

Watching one of those rumor videos on YouTube, it was mentioned that we are looking to move Reimer, which isn’t a surprise because I think we do want to upgrade.

The only reason I’m posting this is that it was mentioned that while Reimer’s  cap hit is 3.4 million, the actual dollar amount he is owed is around one million. Not sure if it is true or not but as was mentioned in the video this would obviously help with moving him.

As for Staal, I don’t know how many times I called him “going through the motions” Staal on here. It was infuriating to watch so yes, his comment pisses me off too. It should **** off everyone.

I was thinking if Carolina were to fail to get Askarov   why not try trading with Edmonton  for  Ilya Konovalov  .  He is a goalie prospect  the oilers picked up last year in the 3rd round  that is  showing great signs in the KHL 

4 games  so far  with lokomotiv    with a 1.57  Gaa   and a .950  save  % .  

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ilya-konovalov

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Watching one of those rumor videos on YouTube, it was mentioned that we are looking to move Reimer, which isn’t a surprise because I think we do want to upgrade.

The only reason I’m posting this is that it was mentioned that while Reimer’s  cap hit is 3.4 million, the actual dollar amount he is owed is around one million. Not sure if it is true or not but as was mentioned in the video this would obviously help with moving him.

This is true and I believe it's $850K, due to the fact that his up front bonus has been paid.

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

4 games  so far  with lokomotiv    with a 1.57  Gaa   and a .950  save  % .  

You are going to base a decision on 4 games?? Why not just stay with Pyotr and show him a little confidence?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

This is true and I believe it's $850K, due to the fact that his up front bonus has been paid.

You are going to base a decision on 4 games?? Why not just stay with Pyotr and show him a little confidence?

I provided a link to his other stats   and clearly  you can see for yourself    who the better goalie is .   Kochetkov is   not as good . 

Steve Yzerman had something interesting to say recently  in regards to taking on teams  players cause they have cap space .   

I wonder if  He would  be interested in  taking on a Gardiner  Contract   if the Canes  traded him that for  maybe  something back in return ?

like trading Gardiner  and   our  6th round pick for  future considerations ? 

Gardiner isn’t so bad that you trade something good to get rid of him.  Either you move him for less value in return or you hold to him.  

im guessing the later is what we do. I don’t like Gardiner and would like to see him moved. The Canes would be dumb to pay to move him.  Next offseason should have more leeway to move guys like Gardiner and Nino.  We’ll have to wait it out for now.

to top it off, teams like TB, NYI, etc who are in a desperate cap issues will pay a heavy price to get more cap space. We shouldn’t be in that bidding war.

Edited by gocanes0506

I was never a fan of Gardiner and I didn’t like the signing when it happened.

Having said that he was playing better at the end of the year and I don’t think he is bad to the level that you pay for someone to take him.

Honestly I don’t anticipate much change in the offseason, and I think guys like Nino, Dzingle, and Gardiner will get a chance to show that they are better than what they showed last year.

If the right deal presents itself I’m sure GMDW will jump at it, but with the financial/overall environment of the NHL right now I’m not sure that happens.

I think league-wide it’s going to be a quieter offseason than people think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gardiner isn’t so bad that you trade something good to get rid of him.  Either you move him for less value in return or you hold to him.  

im guessing the later is what we do. I don’t like Gardiner and would like to see him moved. The Canes would be dumb to pay to move him.  Next offseason should have more leeway to move guys like Gardiner and Nino.  We’ll have to wait it out for now.

to top it off, teams like TB, NYI, etc who are in a desperate cap issues will pay a heavy price to get more cap space. We shouldn’t be in that bidding war.

Have to begrudgingly agree. This is a buyers market big time for teams willing to take cap hits. Let's not fall victim to the very thing that brought us this #13 pick. 

That said, we do have a few guys who have a lot to show. I would put Nino at #1. The production he put up when he first got here was an outlier to the good, but what has happened since about halfway through that year, all of last year, and again in the playoffs is a problem. Especially considering what Minnesota was willing to do to get rid of him after watching that same thing happen there. If I could trade Nino or Gardiner for some sort of return, I'd trade Nino especially if I don't consider the D log jam. 

Gardiner, I have more hope for than Nino. He started out terrible, and by the time he was turning it around, his reputation was locked in. In fact, it was a single month: November, that accounted for -15 of his eventual -24, and from Jan on he was only -2. And he was even in the playoffs. Further, Gardiner was a plus 47 his last three years on Toronto, and that was top half of the team. He could not only not be a negative, I think Gardiner might be a true positive this season.

TBH the only reason I'd trade Gardiner (if there were return) is cap issues and getting Bean some NHL time. I think he'll be fine in terms of on ice, and frankly as the #5 (or even #6) D man, he could be one of the best in the league. It's just that he's thusly blocking Bean and more importantly, he's very pricey for a bottom pair guy. Gardiner is worth more to us than a dump at this point, and as you mention this might be one of the worst times in NHL history to try to dump salary in a trade.

One of the reasons id like for the canes to move away form Gardiner  , Nino and Dzingle now   is so you can sign Fleury  ,  Foegele   and of course Svechnikov to an extension  and  next year Necas .    If the Canes  fail to move those pieces   then you can bet your bottom dollar they wont  have the money to  do any of that  and keep  Hamilton  or Crossing fingers (  if we so happened to draft Askarov )  be able to  sign   him to a nice fat contract in the future  . 

I do not envy the job of a gm when it comes to crunching numbers and  doing budgets .     This is what kills a team  in the end ,  Inflated contracts ,  Diminishing returns  and No futures .    I HATE THE CAP !   But it's the price  the league has to pay ever since the 05 lockout !   

Edited by Canesfanforever

How do we figure that we wont have the money to keep Svech and Hamilton?

we have the option of doing a Laine bridge with Svech if we need to. Dzingel isn’t in the conversation for issues with keeping Dougie. His contract comes off this off-season.  Nino will be much easier to move next offseason.

51 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

How do we figure that we wont have the money to keep Svech and Hamilton?

we have the option of doing a Laine bridge with Svech if we need to. Dzingel isn’t in the conversation for issues with keeping Dougie. His contract comes off this off-season.  Nino will be much easier to move next offseason.

I Should of said we would not have the Cap Space  to sign all of those  guys  .  Canes are currently sitting with 7 mill in cap space .   Unless the canes  can take a chunk out  by moving away from Skjei , Staal , Nino , Gardiner   .  It's going to be difficult to keep  Svech and Hamilton , Necas  long term .   Maybe the canes  can get Foegele  and Fleury  as a reasonable price   to still have  some cap room   but  Svech and Hamilton are going to want to get  paid  big time  neat bucks .   And  that could  put the canes at  Cap which im not a fan of .   We all saw last year the habs  pull that  BS   with Aho .   Dont think they would do it again if the canes were at cap ? 

35 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I Should of said we would not have the Cap Space  to sign all of those  guys  .  Canes are currently sitting with 7 mill in cap space .   Unless the canes  can take a chunk out  by moving away from Skjei , Staal , Nino , Gardiner   .  It's going to be difficult to keep  Svech and Hamilton , Necas  long term .   Maybe the canes  can get Foegele  and Fleury  as a reasonable price   to still have  some cap room   but  Svech and Hamilton are going to want to get  paid  big time  neat bucks .   And  that could  put the canes at  Cap which im not a fan of .   We all saw last year the habs  pull that  BS   with Aho .   Dont think they would do it again if the canes were at cap ? 

If Foegele and Fleury re-sign for around 4 million total, we will have 28 million in space for in the 21 off-season.  Necas would be the one concern but we would be able to find a taker for the last year of Gardiner’s deal.  

37 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

we will have 28 million in space for in the 21 off-season

Where did you find that out ?  I did not know   the Canes would have that much in cap space  for 2021-2022 . 

I know Semins  contract ends  after this year but it is only at 2 mill.   Where does the Extra Cap space come from ?  Obviously   seattle picking from the canes next year and that is possibly   going to be someone on defense .    My question is  what teams are out there willing to trade for   .   Cause  the Canes need to sign some of   their prospects to play for the Chicago  Wolves in 2020-2021 and   2021 -2022  seasons . 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Where did you find that out ?  I did not know   the Canes would have that much in cap space  for 2021-2022 . 

I know Semins  contract ends  after this year but it is only at 2 mill.   Where does the Extra Cap space come from ?  Obviously   seattle picking from the canes next year and that is possibly   going to be someone on defense .    My question is  what teams are out there willing to trade for   .   Cause  the Canes need to sign some of   their prospects to play for the Chicago  Wolves in 2020-2021 and   2021 -2022  seasons . 

Oooooooo his name has been said. You must repent. No one says the name of the Russian winger who was grossly overpaid, here.  HWSNBN is how is referred.  Seriously though, one more season and yhen we can speak his ill willed name again 

capfriendly.com

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Oooooooo his name has been said. You must repent. No one says the name of the Russian winger who was grossly overpaid, here.  HWSNBN is how is referred.  Seriously though, one more season and yhen we can speak his ill willed name again 

capfriendly.com

Yeah , it's only 2 mill on the books .  Where is the other extra cap space you were talking about  though ? 

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

Yeah , it's only 2 mill on the books .  Where is the other extra cap space you were talking about  though ? 

Cap friendly.com

Dougie, svech, Dzingel, both goalies, McGinn, Martinook, Fleury, Foegele, and Geekie are all without a contract for 21-22.  That adds up to 32 million in space. Again assuming Foegele and Fleury come in around what DW said, we’ll have 28 million in space for 21-22. 

We should be able to squeeze in there with filling 4 open slots with ELCs. Necas is the tricky one but we have an expansion draft and 2 offseasons that can help with that in the meantime.

25 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Cap friendly.com

Dougie, svech, Dzingel, both goalies, McGinn, Martinook, Fleury, Foegele, and Geekie are all without a contract for 21-22.  That adds up to 32 million in space. Again assuming Foegele and Fleury come in around what DW said, we’ll have 28 million in space for 21-22. 

We should be able to squeeze in there with filling 4 open slots with ELCs. Necas is the tricky one but we have an expansion draft and 2 offseasons that can help with that in the meantime.

Canes plan on keeping Svech to a bridge term  and then when that runs out signing him long term for 8  years .  Hamilton  is the big question mark .   If  Hamilton   were to  come back after this year   it could be in the 7 or 8 mill   range .    

so  lets try to do this 

28 mill

fleury  4 

foeg  4 

Svech   5 in bridge ??  maybe 7 or more ??

Hamilton 7 or 8

still need  goalies   minus 6 for both 

Dzingle  minus   3 ,

Canes are keeping Mcginn and  Martinook   so 4  for both 

That might put the canes at 15 mill  in cap space maybe  give or take  , depending on contracts . 

Once  again , i dont envy  this part of being a gm .