The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Off-Season Trades 2020

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Speculation that Vatanen might be going back to Anaheim? What are the group's thoughts on this?

Not surprised. Good for him.  We are chocked full

Quite a few cup teams, specifically Chicago were cup teams because they got youngins hitting their stride before their big paydays came and they had to trade everything to seemingly Atlanta. I would not trade a 850k guy whose got 2 more seasons at that cost whose got the potential he has, that's a hell no from me. Especially for Laine and his bag of issues.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Not surprised. Good for him.  We are chocked full

Personally i'd love to keep him, but i think i may be in the minority on that.  Small sample size but i definitely preferred him over TVR, Gardiner, or the now-gone Edmundson.

• Like 1

He's about 4 seasons removed from his last stellar season, 3 seasons from his last decent season. He might be a good backup somewhere but that's not what we're looking for.

14 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

He's about 4 seasons removed from his last stellar season, 3 seasons from his last decent season. He might be a good backup somewhere but that's not what we're looking for.

On the other hand, I might be tempted to hire him as a goalie coach?

Laine does strike me as a spoiled brat and a bit of a crybaby, but that could be due to something as simple as his apparent failure to realize that his standard smile for the camera makes him look that way. Like Lake says, his history with Aho (and I will add TT, because I'm 80 percent sure they all played on a line together in at least one international tournament) is well known. Regardless, I think we can rest assured that nobody donning a Canes sweater will be telling Roddy who they will and and will not be playing with.

I wouldn't miss Necas for reasons I've already propounded here enough already. What concerns me more about our reported offer is which Dman we're dangling. My hope is that it's Bean, and that is why the Jets want more. Fine: throw in Foegele (or Dzingel and Nino) and let's get this party started. But if it's Fleury, I think giving him up would be a mistake at best and quite possibly a disaster.

The fact that we're even kicking the tires suggests to me that in addition to subtracting the salary of whomever we send in exchange, we must think we can move more salary, to afford him long-term. Jordan, maybe? Sheer spec, but moving him would enable us to keep both a killer D and O core together come expansion (Laine, Aho, TT, and Svech on the front and Fleury, Hams, and Peas and Carrots on the back).

Edited by top-shelf-1

41 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Laine does strike me as a spoiled brat and a bit of a crybaby, but that could be due to something as simple as his apparent failure to realize that his standard smile for the camera makes him look that way. Like Lake says, his history with Aho (and I will add TT, because I'm 80 percent sure they all played on a line together in at least one international tournament) is well known. Regardless, I think we can rest assured that nobody donning a Canes sweater will be telling Roddy who they will and and will not be playing with.

I wouldn't miss Necas for reasons I've already propounded here enough already. What concerns me more about our reported offer is which Dman we're dangling. My hope is that it's Bean, and that is why the Jets want more. Fine: throw in Foegele (or Dzingel and Nino) and let's get this party started. But if it's Fleury, I think giving him up would be a mistake at best and quite possibly a disaster.

The fact that we're ev means he'd have to agree likelyen kicking the tires suggests to me that in addition to subtracting the salary of whomever we send in exchange, we must think we can move the salary to afford him long-term. Jordan, maybe? Sheer spec, but moving him it would enable us to keep both a killer D and O core together come expansion (Laine, Aho, TT, and Svech on the front and Fleury, Hams, and Peas and Carrots on the back).

As much as I like the boldness of this plan top, I think there's just too much improbability in it to come together. 1st and foremost, there's Brind'Amour's apparent close connection to Jordan on top of which his NMC means he'd have to agree, thus suffering the ignominious position that might  put him, and I remind, Brindy's friend, in.To add to this, you've got a trade bringing in a high paid potential trouble maker for a cost controlled possibly highly productive player on the upswing? That's swinging for the fences if I've ever seen it with a more than average chance of a massive loss?

34 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

At least Laine hit the back of the net. We have some guys who might have missed that shot 😄

Nice work by Wheeler at being a good captain.

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

As much as I like the boldness of this plan top, I think there's just too much improbability in it to come together. 1st and foremost, there's Brind'Amour's apparent close connection to Jordan on top of which his NMC means he'd have to agree, thus suffering the ignominious position that might  put him, and I remind, Brindy's friend, in.To add to this, you've got a trade bringing in a high paid potential trouble maker for a cost controlled possibly highly productive player on the upswing? That's swinging for the fences if I've ever seen it with a more than average chance of a massive loss?

How does unloading an awful contract created by a GM who is no longer here in order to shed an NMC that is going to force you to keep a guy you no longer need or want come expansion equate to ignominy for Staal? All he did was sign the thing, just like you or I would have. Meanwhile, everything Rod has done and said about Jordan is all any coach would do and say about player he is stuck with for the foreseeable future. I have no doubt they are tight, but business is business.

As for Laine, every player is a "potential troublemaker." Once upon a time, that was the go-to speculation on Hamilton, too. But unproven, that's all it is: speculation. The brain trust has prioritized verifying player character on every deal it's done. Why would it stop now?

Edited by top-shelf-1

Im still in the camp that we go with a small add in the off-season.

Maybe we move Dzingel.  Add a one year deal to who would work out.  

Possibilities: 

Wennberg: Didnt do well in Torts vert stringent system. He would have more freedom and chances here.  He can get a one year, show me deal.  If he comes in hot and ready to go we can push Tro up to the 1st, Wennberg to 2C.  If he isnt quite 2C ready, we play him as the 4C and try to create a 4th scoring line.

Fast or Pitlick: RH shot 3rd/4th liners who provide some physical aspect and speed with some scoring, would probably require a multi year deals.

Simmonds, Ryan: RH Shot that have a past of being a scoring winger who could play anywhere in the lineup with their one year deals.

Hinostraza: RH shot, depth scoring. Isn’t being tendered a QO from Arizona.

Tro-Aho-Turbo

Svech-Wennberg-Necas

Nino-Staal-Fast

Foegele-Geekie-Marty

or

Nino-Aho-Turbo

Svech-Tro-Necas

McGinn-Staal-Geekie

Foegele-Wennberg-Fast

Edited by gocanes0506

So Frank Seravali on TSN said that Carolina has been talking with Vegas about Marc Andre Fleury. It sounds like either one of two things would happen. 

1. Carolina ends up with Fleury while a third team retains salary.

2. Carolina retains salary and a third team gets Fleury.

I think it is option #2.

Vegas is offering a 2nd round pick for a team to retain salary and reportedly GM’s (I think Waddell) said that is not enough. It likely takes a 1st rounder (or more) to get it done as per Seravali.

Maybe the Canes can pull off another Marleau-like scenario, basically paying for a 1st round pick.

For those that don’t know, I believe Fleury is set to make 7 million per year over the next 2 years. 

We’ll see.

Edited by Kyrule

Now the rumor is a team is only willing to take a 1st, 2nd and MAF if Vegas retains 33% or 2.33 million.  

I dont see us too interested in a 35 year old goaltender that costs 4.67 million when we wouldnt give Lehner a long term deal.

The whole point for Vegas is to not retain any salary. That’s why a third team needs to be involved.

No way is Vegas is giving up a 1st, 2nd AND retaining salary.

Now I’m hearing that Vegas may try to move Karlesson or Marchessault (I’m not going to look up proper spelling).

Edited by Kyrule

22 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

The whole point for Vegas is to not retain any salary. That’s why a third team needs to be involved.

No way is Vegas is giving up a 1st, 2nd AND retaining salary.

Now I’m hearing that Vegas may try to move Karlesson or Marchessault (I’m not going to look up proper spelling).

serious note: Vegas must be realizing teams are holding them hostage to move any bad money (MAF and Statsny) so they are trying to move plyers that return real value.  Which is hilarious and the quite opposite of what they need to do.  Overpay to move the empty money for draft picks.  Draft picks arent sure NHL roster players.  Your roster players are, well, roster players.  

Yeah, Vegas really put themselves in a tight spot. The fact that every GM knows it just makes things worse. Other GM’s will show no mercy, especially after going through the expansion draft.

Vegas does have a very good team, honestly I thought they would win the cup. You have to wonder how long the window stays open. It should be a few more years at least so I think they will continue to go for it. Like you said, if you are going for it you keep your roster players and move picks/prospects. Should be interesting.

The one thing that seems certain, this is a buyer's market for taking cap hits from teams in cap hell. The price should be very high as few teams can do it.