The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
JDJERK83

Hub Cities for playoffs

Edmonton and Toronto so far for the breaking news for hub city's. Vegas is out. Tomorrow is Canada Day.

Edited by gocanes0506

Its funny because on XM earlier they were talking like Vegas was back in with Toronto. I'm guessing they like the idea of basically commandeering one huge hotel, but then with Vegas opening up, maybe the risk felt too high?

I thought Edmonton had very few cases. Not sure about Toronto. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Its funny because on XM earlier they were talking like Vegas was back in with Toronto. I'm guessing they like the idea of basically commandeering one huge hotel, but then with Vegas opening up, maybe the risk felt too high?

I thought Edmonton had very few cases. Not sure about Toronto. 

The Eastern teams are saying....CMON MAN, Edmonton.  At the same time less cases and more likely to control the bubble.

The West will like Toronto but more people = more risk

Sorry to go here so often but come on, man - the plural of city is "cities".  Anyway, these actually sound like logical choices to me.  Those cities, and Canada in general, seem to have come out on the other side in a way we can only wish the States had.

Vegas sounded good until cases rose.  I also suspect the NHL brass saw what happened in FLA and realized you may not be able to weld the doors shut on the hotel doors like they do in China.  Young men will roam, no matter what pledge they sign.  Waaay too easy to roam in Vegas.  Now Edmonton... Well.

As for East-West, the latest rumor is that the they may not swap regions as earlier proposed.

Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Now all we need to do is save the sanity of realmdrakker.  (I did not want to say "realmdrakker's sanity" for fear of the single quote.)  :)  Many sorry's to you for this, realmdrakker.   

The NHL is learning that they're going to have fun finding out whether its policy of isolation was sufficient for their players or whether it's the weather causing problems there.  (Whew, that took a lot of thought!)   ... Don't lose your mind, all.  And if you loose your mind, don't tell us about it.

Edited by wxray1

There wont be any playoffs.  There is no stomach for it.  Biology over Human control.............everytime.

50 minutes ago, cc said:

There wont be any playoffs.  There is no stomach for it.  Biology over Human control.............everytime.

cc, as with much that's going on around us, I feel a certain ambivalence to sports in general, and to these playoffs in specifics. I too have opined that I do not feel that hockey playoffs are in the cards right now, but then I get drawn in by the exuberance that we witness, it appears, when the guys hit the ice, and start to think about how the playoffs will look and how the draft will play out? I wish I knew, but I guess this is another product  of SARS-CoV-2?

TBH I suspect that most of the players are more concerned about the quarantine than covid. I still think there's a pretty good chance that they will be safer in the bubble than they will be with no hockey when they go out and about (as Xray has pointed out), young, well off men are likely to do. A group of them are probably are looking at being locked down as the thing they don't want. We all assume it's about safety, and it may be, but I wonder from the player's perspective if that's really the main deterrent. I'm guessing it's not. Of course they might not admit that.

I will say this. The longer this goes on without a clear plan, the more things drift and the odds of it not happening rise. The NHL needs to just announce the cities and start moving this ball forward. I'm still betting it happens though. We shall see.

I'm going to guess it is a lock for EDM and TOR.  Why?  Testing.

Turns out testing has become an issue again in the USA due to the sun belt surge of cases.  We have personal experience.  A family member is currently under isolation protocol, awaiting a test from Saturday.  Doctor said to expect it Mon or Tues.  No result yet, due to this new delay (as described in the link).

It won't be a good look to have all these players taking up testing bandwidth.

So, send them to Canada and keep this conflict out of the news.  I have no idea of the testing bandwidth up in Canada, but it is likely not as stressed as the USA's is right now.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 5:59 PM, wxray1 said:

Turns out testing has become an issue again in the USA due to the sun belt surge of cases.  We have personal experience.  A family member is currently under isolation protocol, awaiting a test from Saturday.  Doctor said to expect it Mon or Tues.  No result yet, due to this new delay (as described in the link).

So, send them to Canada and keep this conflict out of the news.  I have no idea of the testing bandwidth up in Canada, but it is likely not as stressed as the USA's is right now.

Hope they come back negative.  My 3 year old woke up with a cough.  We got her tested.  Waited 10 days to get the results.   She came back negative. 

On 7/1/2020 at 5:59 PM, wxray1 said:

That is what we refer to as TAT(turn around time) wxray, and is what my hospital is experiencing with LabCorp, and it is just  unacceptable, primarily because as bd58 just behind your comment says, and think about it, IF you've got to wait 10 days for results, you've almost waited through the known incubation period for symptoms to occur. Thus you've got to theoretically pay(or your insurance does, whichever) for something you'd know by symptom development? 

I will add though that my hospital is using an approximate 15-20 minute ANTIGEN test which detects one of the virus's outer layer components. Side by side comparison with the RT-PCR test that the reference labs(Quest and LabCorp) utilize, this test we are using is just about as accurate. Also, there is in development now, RT-PCR tests which utilize an updated device known as a thermal cycler using different temperature zones necessary to obtain enough genetic material to test, at 10X faster rates. This new device should cut down dramatically the TATs and it can also run in parallel.

Edited by KJUNKANE

She got her result on day 9.  Negative.  We were pretty sure it would be negative.  The test was taken on a stressful day of panic, which may have contributed to a fleeting fever feeling.  Nevertheless, she completely isolated all 9 days, never leaving the house.   I thought it was extraordinary compassionate and sacrificial behavior to assure no chance of transmission.

But it shouldn't have been that way.  A quick turnaround would have made the strict isolation less painful.  More importantly, it would allow fast contact tracing if she had been positive.  Imagine she was positive...  With a 4 day incubation (not unusual), two generations of transmission could have occurred.

Edited by wxray1