The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Canesfanforever

Should the Canes Pay John What he is owed ?

Should the Canes pay the man ?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Canes pay John Forslund what he Deserves ?

I think it's the not being able to be with family etc. The bubble might be the safest place in North America.

• Like 1

John had become a fixture in our sports lives, and personally I had never felt that comfort level with a broadcaster with a home team, since maybe the days of youth with Milo Hamilton and Ernie Johnson calling Braves games on the radio, when the franchise relocated to Atlanta in 66. That said, I kept an account with all MLB radio broadcasts for many years and grew quite partial to Jack Buck calling Cardinals games, and a couple other legends over time. 

My take on JF is that he has molded my viewership and fandom with the Hurricanes, and for many of the down years even, would tune into almost all games just to enjoy his take on the game, the CANES struggle, and his overwhelming knowledge of hockey as the premier sports entertainment left on the map. I'd love him to be here, he loves the winning Canes as much as anyone I think, and it transforms through his broadcasting style and knowledge with ease and familiarity, with very little overt bias and obnoxious 'homerism". That said, someone as talented and iconic in their profession as he, in my view, also DESERVES to be recognized, rewarded and thought of as the America's Voice on the sport, and I fully believe he would come to occupy that role in a short time given the opportunity. We've been fortunate as his listeners, and grown comfortable, win or lose with his professionalism, wit and vast experience in the play-by-play arena, with hockey broadcasters being easily recognized as the best at what they are required to do to keep up with a game like it. I'm happy either way for him, and feel like there is no reason Big Mike can't fill his shoes in some good and competent way and I like the guy personally to boot.

In the end, as someone  else said, It's about the hockey, and a winning franchise, routine playoff appearances and building a history in the booth is going to endear whatever voice is bringing it to us.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

...I kept an account with all MLB radio broadcasts for many years and grew quite partial to Jack Buck calling Cardinals games, and a couple other legends over time. 

I grew up as a Cardinals fan and fell asleep many a night listening to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon call the Cards games.  Shannon was known to drink a Busch beer or two...or three or twelve during the games and some of those broadcasts with Buck and a hammered Mike Shannon were most amusing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Never thought John would relocate to the west coast. I know the Tampa job is open. That would seem to be a more likely fit. If nothing opens up this year, he can certainly wait for a situation he’s comfortable with. Or maybe John just does national games from now on. I’m still hoping, but not optimistic, that he’ll reach a deal here. Dear Gussy, Big Rig has been much better than expected and should only get better as he calls more games. But I would really love it if John comes back. Then in a few years, when like Doc, his national demands preclude doing any local broadcasts, Mike should be the one to step in. Forslund is 10 times better than Mike. Mike is 10 times better than I expected.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I’m still hoping, but not optimistic, that he’ll reach a deal here. 

Provided John has an apology in him, I think the odds of him returning are decent. I think his scoreboard nonsense was extremely childish; it's bad anytime employees air their dirty laundry, but (literally) broadcasting it, multiple times--while continuing to cash checks from the guy you're complaining about--is really cheap, IMO. It suggests that John believed the fans' love for him would let him get away with things other employees would never do. I hope not, but that's how it looks from the outside. Do it once and let it go, sure. But continuing to do it suggests a level of hubris that most organizations are better off without.

That said, as a manager, Dundon had a responsibility to nip it in the bud. John would have been in my office after the first instance, and gotten his final warning: "One more negative or tongue-in-cheek comment about organizational spending and you're out. If you seriously think I'm worried that fans will stop watching games because I fire you, John, think again."

As for Mike, his call of Aho's goal was terrific: "What sorcery is this?" He is clearly getting more comfortable every game. Not a big fan of "Gussie," but that's because I don't know who "Gussie" is. With some context, I might love him (or her). Tripp opened the door last game to some playful banter and myth-making ("Oh, Gussie's back!") but Mike didn't walk through. Maybe next time.

There's really only one thing in Mike's call that I've found annoying, which is his habit of saying our keeper "holds" instead of "makes the save" when play is continuing. "Reimer holds." "Mrazek holds." Anybody listening on the radio (or to the TV while, say, in the kitchen [guilty]) is going to think play has stopped. If he would say "makes the save" or even "holds the fort" and keep describing the action ("...and dishes to Slavin" or whatever) it'd be fine. But this (and a few other much smaller things) are just fine tuning, which I think he'll do as he listens back to his tapes. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

36 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

who "Gussie" is

Gussie is not a "who" but an object, better known as a gusset. It was a device worn beneath a large skirt, in the South it would appear, to make it billow out.

• Like 1

Listening to Mike Millbury alongside Forslund sure makes me appreciate Tripp a lot more, lol. 

edit: or is it Boucher? Don't watch enough non-Canes games to know which is which.

Edited by LakeLivin

On 8/8/2020 at 11:26 AM, KJUNKANE said:

Gussie is not a "who" but an object, better known as a gusset. It was a device worn beneath a large skirt, in the South it would appear, to make it billow out.

I don't think that's what Mike was referring to. I'm thinkin' it's a name he pulled out of his... gusset.

16 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

Gussie
Example: Oh dear, Gussie. Basically you use this when you're exasperated and just have nothing else to say.

I see you found that here. Affirms KJUN's assertion that it's got Southern roots. And there's this, which somehow, given what we already know about Mike and food... seems plausible source material.

30 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I see you found that here. Affirms KJUN's assertion that it's got Southern roots. And there's this, which somehow, given what we already know about Mike and food... seems plausible source material.

Serious observation, not shaming: Mike took the lock down hard.  Many of us had lock down gain.  Poor guy really was affected, especially after his serious surgery last year.

I really feel for him.  I am constantly struggling with it too.  For those of us that feed our stress with food, we need prayers or encouragement or something.

• Like 1

Not taken as shaming at all xray, but I appreciate you mentioning it. Like me and both my sibs, Mike likes food, and while both of my "better thirds" struggled mightily with weight for much of their lives, I was for some reason granted a metabolism that would give any cheetah a run for his money. I got lucky: The common refrain in our childhood home was "Mangia... mangia!!" 

Food is one of the best things in life, and I'd never blame (let alone begrudge) anyone for enjoying it. Life's too short not to!

Based on the article in the N&O this morning, it sounds like John’s departure from the Hurricanes is a done deal. He said he has had no contact with the team and that he has to move on professionally. Sounds like a very unfortunate ending to a 29 year relationship (or a 2 year relationship if you want to look at it a different way). 

50 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Based on the article in the N&O this morning, it sounds like John’s departure from the Hurricanes is a done deal. He said he has had no contact with the team and that he has to move on professionally. Sounds like a very unfortunate ending to a 29 year relationship (or a 2 year relationship if you want to look at it a different way). 

A sad day but we move on. John is a class guy and we'll miss him. Mike Maniscalco has been my favorite for many years, since the After Math but him and Tripp do not seem to be the same as JF/TT?

Edited by KJUNKANE

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

A sad day but we move on. John is a class guy and we'll miss him. Mike Maniscalco has been my favorite for many years, since the After Math but him and Tripp do not seem to be the same as JF/TT?

Had to work today, but listened to part of the game driving to lunch and back. I didn’t think Mike’s call translated to radio at all. Didn’t see him do any of the game on television this game. He has a long way to go, but he will improve, I’m sure. Give him the offseason, and maybe the whole next year, and I trust he will be “calling” old games to hone his delivery. He may never be on par with Forslund (who is?), but he can be good enough. One thing, there is no question how much he loves the Canes and wants this opportunity.

It was probably Millbury.  Or maybe the production, but I couldn't stand the NBCSN feed and had to go to the FSC feed.  John's great and all, but when you are vomiting from the color guy's work, you can't stay.

If they go with Big Rig, it will work out.  He'll get better.  No way am I going to say he's as good as John.  He isn't, yet.  It will be a loss, but I think I can live with MM and Tripp.

MM had one very serious rookie error yesterday that I thought was inexcusable.  When the 3rd period started, the B's had a short power play left.  Mike forgot this and was confused that icing wasn't called.  Tripp had to fix the problem.  MM cannot make that kind of error routinely.  It is amateur grade.

Tripp called Mike "partner" yesterday.  I get the feeling we'll be seeing and hearing more Big Rig even after the team folds up and loses tomorrow.

Edited by wxray1

I don't get the idea the TD folds a lot. I also think Forslund will have enough options not to fold. Mike did well enough to stave off a fan rebellion. I like Mike but still want John back, but my hopes are not high for that at this point. If it's official, I'll move on with Mike, but not happily.

20 hours ago, hockeybaby said:

I wonder how much John is missing Tripps food references and other fun comments? They were a good team

I bet he hates working with Milbury even more than he misses Tripp. Not only is the guy a putz, anyone else notice that whenever Milbury raises a point he wants confirmed on air he asks Boucher rather than his broadcast partner Forslund? It's almost like he's deliberately excluding Forslund from any discussion. 

Edited by LakeLivin

The local announcing team is a big part of growing/maintaining the fan base in a local market.

Ie. I grew up listening to HOF announcer Marv Albert call Ranger games on the radio and became a hockey fan for life.  I've lived in several hockey markets and JF is in Marv's class as far as announcers go (there is a reason why NBC uses him for games) and if he leaves, the Franchise will suffer.

I have the NHL package and often watch out of town games and for the most part the local announcing teams (save for Canadian markets) are awful.  Folks around Carolina don't realize what a gem JF is.

Edited by Hockey Maven

3 hours ago, Hockey Maven said:

I have the NHL package and often watch out of town games and for the most part the local announcing teams (save for Canadian markets) are awful.  Folks around Carolina don't realize what a gem JF is.

Welcome, Maven. 

You may have missed our extensive discussions through the years about how fortunate we are (now "were") to have John F.  It has come up repeatedly through the years.  So please don't categorize us as "not realizing."  We realize.

The fretting about JF leaving started a few years back after we started getting substitutes for some games due to John's national presence.  It was clear he was doing well in the eyes of NBC.  The worry finally became reality this year.

• Like 2