The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes vs Rags...Game 3...Tuesday, 4 August...8 pm EDT

No team has two bigger 5 star 'yutes" than we do, hands down. That series leaves me with this. Roddy has such an elevated edge on any of the other early career bench bosses in this league, that it stands out. It amazes me that the pundits don't just realize it and highlight it. After 4 months, he had this group, mentally, physically and experience prepared to completely turn the tables on a team they lapsed against all season. That's the kind of thing that most former players who move into coaching usually lack the ability to do. Unless you're Rod BrindA'mour. 

• Like 4

Just now, 2ndsacker said:

That's the kind of thing that most former players who move into coaching usually lack the ability to do. Unless you're Rod BrindA'mour. 

That’s cause he is the MAN!!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

We will always be 6th. They re-seed who we play based on the round Robin play of the tip 4

I think if Montreal wins their series versus Pittsburgh, the Canes move up to the 5th seed.

Congratulations to the New York Rangers on being the first team in NHL history to be swept in the playoffs in August!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

Do the Canes have to stay in the bubble? My guess is yes. I'd love for them to be able to fly home . My guess is nada.

Nada, besides if they leave, they then must quarantine for set # of days (whatever the league has preset)? 

• Like 1

Dear Gussie is a southern expression. I’m sure northern transplants haven’t heard it. I wouldn’t bet on it but I think the late great Woody Durham said it from time to time. In the Bob Harris era, when Duke scored a big basket in an important game, Bob would say “How sweet it is” (stolen from Jackie Gleason). Dear Gussie can replace “that’s hockey baby” and How sweet it is could be Mike’s “Hey, hey whaddaya say.“ Take a couple of catchphrases from local college sports announcers. They’re not familiar to most hockey fans. If Dear Gussie didn’t appeal to you, you still have to love the way Mike used it to express emotion on a great save.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Panarin's nickname from Columbus.

From Chicago, actually.  Patrick Kane gave it to him.

• Like 2

DEAR GUSSIE! has GOT TO GO! (imo, lol) If Mike didn't use it in a live broadcast I'd have thought it was a mock call, kind of like Boom Goes the Dynamite!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Dear Gussie is a southern expression. I’m sure northern transplants haven’t heard it. I wouldn’t bet on it but I think the late great Woody Durham said it from time to time. In the Bob Harris era, when Duke scored a big basket in an important game, Bob would say “How sweet it is” (stolen from Jackie Gleason). Dear Gussie can replace “that’s hockey baby” and How sweet it is could be Mike’s “Hey, hey whaddaya say.“ Take a couple of catchphrases from local college sports announcers. They’re not familiar to most hockey fans. If Dear Gussie didn’t appeal to you, you still have to love the way Mike used it to express emotion on a great save.

I confess I’ve never heard the expression before, but Googling “Dear Gussie” revealed it is a known exclamation albeit an old-time one and, as you note, most common in the South.  As Maniscalco is an upstate New York native, you wouldn’t think this would be a phase he would have heard growing up.  Where’d he hear it to use at such an intense moment in the game?  What intrigue!  It is funny how we all picked up on it.  Curious if he’ll use it again...

Because he used it at such a key time, and the end result was awesome, I'm all in on "Dear Gussie."  My initial reaction was 'gotta go,' but I've warmed up to it.

Great moments create "great" catch phrases.  😇

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Nada, besides if they leave, they then must quarantine for set # of days (whatever the league has preset)? 

Its not the league. Canada has a mandatory 14 days quarantine for any out of country travel. Think the next series will start sooner then that

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

I think if Montreal wins their series versus Pittsburgh, the Canes move up to the 5th seed.

Thats true I was wrong. But we will play either one of the lowest 2 top 4 depending on the Habs Pens series