The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

DEAR GUSSIE!!

DEAR GUSSIE!! as a catch phrase  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feelings about Maniscalco's "DEAR GUSSIE!!" catch phrase?

• Absolutely Hate It
    • Don't Like It
    • Neutral
    • Like It
    • Absolutely Love It

I absolutely hate the Big Rig's apparent new catchphrase "DEAR GUSSIE!!"  But I recognize that different people are wired differently, so I was wondering what the feeling is among the rest of the forum.

It made me laugh the first time he said it, and the Canes won a big game.  Look, it’s no more corn-ball as “Hey, Hey, Whaddaya Say!” but shorter, which is good.  I’ll cut Mike some slack and vote “Like it”

40 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

It made me laugh the first time he said it, and the Canes won a big game.  Look, it’s no more corn-ball as “Hey, Hey, Whaddaya Say!” but shorter, which is good.  I’ll cut Mike some slack and vote “Like it”

I think part of my problem with it is that to my mind it promulgates the image of Carolina as backwoods and backwards. Potentially adding to the redneck / NASCAR / "marrying your sister" type narrative that much o the rest of the league seems to have towards the Canes. Of course, that could just be my own insecurities, lol [for the record I've never married a sister, or even a cousin!].   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I think part of my problem with it is that to my mind it promulgates the image of Carolina as backwoods and backwards. Potentially adding to the redneck / NASCAR / "marrying your sister" type narrative that much o the rest of the league seems to have towards the Canes. Of course, that could just be my own insecurities, lol [for the record I've never married a sister, or even a cousin!].   

How about dating?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Yeah , i would says  a lot about your insecurities .   It's  a  catch phrase that  is just fun  and   if people want to think  a certain way about the south  over a catch phrase , it  really says a lot about them instead  .   also  Mike has the  other catch phrase "  What  sorcery is this "  .   

20 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Certain parts of the hockey world will NEVER EVER accept Carolina as belonging in the League.  Screw them.  And frankly some of our fan base are NASCAR-loving rednecks—I can’t be sure of their marital relations!—but I’ve enjoyed meeting and chatting with many of them at tailgates and other Canes events.  Most of them embraced the “Redneck Hockey” moniker the rest of the League intended as an insult to Canes fans years ago much like the more recent crop of Canes fans embraced being known as fans of “A Bunch of Jerks.”  Having said that, as I mentioned in another thread, I had never heard the expression “Dear Gussie!” before so didn’t know it’s southern roots.  I expect a lot of people don’t as it appears an archaic exclamation. 

It was so oddly said the first time I had hoped he just couldn't find the right words for the situation and barfed out a phrase. Not a fan and frankly can't see it ever growing on me, it doesn't flow with the situation at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Yeah , i would says  a lot about your insecurities .   It's  a  catch phrase that  is just fun  and   if people want to think  a certain way about the south  over a catch phrase , it  really says a lot about them instead  .   also  Mike has the  other catch phrase "  What  sorcery is this "  .   

I said that in good part tongue in cheek; I guess I needed an emoji to go with it.  I dislike "DEAR GUSSIE!!" quite a bit on it's own.

On the other hand, I quite liked the Rig's use of "What Sorcery Is This?" Problem with that one is that it only seems to fit an exceptional play, not just one that happens at a key time. 

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

2 hours ago, caniac6 said:

How about dating?

Nope, and anticipating the next question, nothing physical, either, lol.

• Like 1

It was funny as all get out when he said it the other night but yeah, i hope it doesn't happen often.  He's still feeling it out, though... he'll find the right one.

I heard that phrase enough as a kid.  I guess I'm backwoods [check...that's where I lived] and backwards [probably, see backwoods].  :lol:  My aunt said that all the time, mostly when I was in trouble for something, which was a lot.

Not sure it really bothers me, yet.

I voted unsure.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Nope, and anticipating the next question, nothing physical, either, lol.

Wasn't going to go any further. Figured that was too personal!