The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

3 hours ago, AmxCanes said:

Hey hey now, I would be doing my happy dance if they ended up in Saskatchewan !

Saskatoon is a nice city

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:
Looks like the Panthers brass is openly admitting they'll be the new NHL affiliate to the Checkers. Before you get mad I'd really urge you to consider there's more to the story then what is on the surface from the Hurricanes side. I would say sit tight for a minute.

Interesting. I can't wait to hear more of the story.

There is always  two sides   of  the story . 

We made Pronman’s top 10 for 2020 organizational rankings for farm systems / players under 22. We’ll find out where we are in the next week.

Edited by gocanes0506

Maple Leafs News & Rumors: Is Frederik Andersen Off to the Hurricanes?

BY THE OLD PROF SEPTEMBER 4TH, 2020

Today, Stephen from Editor In Leaf proposed a trade where the Toronto Maple Leafs move Frederik Andersen to the Carolina Hurricanes for right-shot defenseman Dougie Hamilton. I have two thoughts about this trade proposal.

Related: Maple Leafs Radical Trade Rumors: Nylander, Ekblad, Nurse & Subban

First, it’s typical of what we’ve heard regarding Andersen. Rumors are ramping up that he’ll soon be gone. Second, if general manager Kyle Dubas could make that trade, I think he would do it quickly.

Dubas Stirred the Pot with the Kasperi Kapanen Trade

Dubas stirred the pot when he moved Kasperi Kapanen early in the Maple Leafs’ offseason. That trade seemed to immediately fuel speculation that management wasn’t done dealing as they try to improve the team’s top weakness: defense.

Kasperi Kapanen Toronto Maple Leafs Kasperi Kapanen, former Toronto Maple Leaf (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

In this edition of Maple Leafs News & Rumors, I want to take a look around at some of the rumors about Andersen and to assess how accurate they might be.

What Have We Heard about Andersen’s Leaving?

The first thing we know about a possible Andersen trade is that hockey insiders believe it will happen, and they often get it so wrong it’s laughable. On the other hand, they often nail it. Mostly, however, what we hear falls somewhere between those two spectrums.

And, Chris Johnston Says?

Concerning Andersen, Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reported that there’s real interest in the Maple Leafs goalie and it’s increasing. In fact, Andersen has reportedly heard the trade buzz and might be preparing himself to leave.

Related: Worst Toronto Maple Leafs Trades

During a Sept. 2 radio interview on SN590, Johnston reported:

“I think there’s a good chance Freddy isn’t playing in Toronto next season. Teams have interest and the Leafs are taking the calls. Even heard from Andersen’s side that Freddy seems to be preparing as if he won’t be back with Toronto.”

And, Elliotte Friedman Says?

Elliotte Friedman confirmed that Andersen’s name is churning in the trade rumor mill. He noted specifically that the Hurricanes are interested.

Frederik Andersen Toronto Maple Leafs Frederik Andersen, Toronto Maple Leafs (Jess Starr/The Hockey Writers)

Recently Friedman wrote: “The Carolina Hurricanes have interest in Frederik Andersen, but Toronto’s made it clear it has no desire to make a move just for the sake of change. If it happens, it’s for an upgrade, which means the Maple Leafs could wait to see how a loaded group of goaltending free agents shakes out.

This is from an article at  https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-andersen-hurricanes-trade-rumor/

47 minutes ago, dinz said:

NO way i let DOUGIE GO.

I agree, with the exception being if he's dead set on maximizing the amount of money he gets on his next contract. I don't think the Canes can afford to do that, and I'm not necessarily talking about the money. It's more a matter of salary structure and philosophy. Canes can't afford to let that snowball start rolling down the hill (imo).

Having said that, given how well he fits in with the Canes I'd be surprised if Dougie isn't willing to negotiate a deal that works for both parties.

The leafs have been begging for Hamilton for years .   TSN   has also .    It's like they have this funny idea in their heads that if they wish for a player  in the nhl enough times  to come to their  team that it would magically  happen .   lmao 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

The leafs have been begging for Hamilton for years .   TSN   has also .    It's like they have this funny idea in their heads that if they wish for a player  in the nhl enough times  to come to their  team that it would magically  happen .   lmao 

Around here we believe TSN stands for Toronto's Sports Network

• Like 2

We must understand that in Toronto every player is a hockey god that has unlimited value. Everyone other team is to be happy that Toronto would even lower itself to make us an offer and accept it.

it is wild.  If we ever even consider any of the top 4 for Andersen, DW and Co should be fired before they make the deal 

I agree with the thrust of posts above, especially CFF, AmxCanes and gocanes. The unbridled delusions of Toronto fans in their trade proposals is nothing short of breathtaking. This happens with other Canadian teams too, but Toronto fans take the cake. 

So I'm reading a trade rumor that Toronto might trade Anderson to the Canes. OK. That makes some sense. He has one year left, but maybe that works well enough for us. But the next sentence is "for Dougie Hamilton" *spits coffee out*.  Why can't they at least get into the galaxy of reality? 

Have people seen what goalies with one year or less of contract get back in trades? Hmm. Norris level D men? Try late round draft picks. 

Source is everything and the source here is the wishful thinking of a Fansided Toronto fan. Maybe we could trade Reimer to Edmonton for Draisaitl. I've always wanted him after all. 

We may well go for a goalie, but trading Dougy for Anderson is "cancel the season tickets" level GM malpractice. Maybe we could have traded Aho for Jake Allen to complete our goalie upgrades. Oh, he went for a third rounder? OK OK and a seventh rounder in the 2022 draft. 

On the plus side, it did allow me to fire off this post.

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

I agree with the thrust of posts above, especially CFF, AmxCanes and gocanes. The unbridled delusions of Toronto fans in their trade proposals is nothing short of breathtaking. This happens with other Canadian teams too, but Toronto fans take the cake.

So imagine being a player there and getting the same breathtaking assessments of their work?   One has to wonder if the fan and sports media pressure is a factor in the Great Canadian Cup Dry Spell... continuing on yet another year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, remkin said:

So I'm reading a trade rumor that Toronto might trade Anderson to the Canes. OK. That makes some sense. He has one year left, but maybe that works well enough for us. But the next sentence is "for Dougie Hamilton" *spits coffee out*.  Why can't they at least get into the galaxy of reality? 

Toronto will have to make a lot of moves to get their team right and stay under the cap.  They don't actually have any right-handed defensemen so

you can see where they start naming people like Hamilton and Pesce.  It's not realistic, of course.  Dougie has finally found a home and would be a

fool to leave.  There's no reason to trade Pesce unless the Leafs offered a heck of a lot more like a top-6 forward and that 1st they just picked up.

Andersen would be an upgrade and supposedly Toronto wants Murray.  Maybe this could be a remkin-like 3-way with the Canes sending something

to Pittsburgh.  If everybody can get past Andersen deliberately walking away from the organization earlier in his career.

2 hours ago, MidnightAngel said:

Toronto will have to make a lot of moves to get their team right and stay under the cap.  They don't actually have any right-handed defensemen so

you can see where they start naming people like Hamilton and Pesce.  It's not realistic, of course.  Dougie has finally found a home and would be a

fool to leave.  There's no reason to trade Pesce unless the Leafs offered a heck of a lot more like a top-6 forward and that 1st they just picked up.

Andersen would be an upgrade and supposedly Toronto wants Murray.  Maybe this could be a remkin-like 3-way with the Canes sending something

to Pittsburgh.  If everybody can get past Andersen deliberately walking away from the organization earlier in his career.

Pesce is the consummate team player, and I am not in favor of trading him, period.  Even if he is damaged goods, which I have no way of knowing.  He and Slavin seem destined to spend their entire careers on the Canes.  I agree that the Leafs make some outrageous offers.  So, here's back at ya.  For many years they were asking for the farm in return for Jake Gardiner.  He was worth all they were asking right?  So, there you go, Gardiner for Anderson.  

For them to pry Hamilton from the Canes, they would need to be making a Marner dump or something of that ilk.

I would think that it would be entirely possible that Toronto would be one of the last teams in the NHL that Dougy should or would want to go to. Talk about a place where every little thing a player does or doesn't do is publicly dissected. That, and trying to fit into a new locker room, and one with inconsistency and still a lot of major question swirling around. Dougy has indeed found a home here. We often talk of players wanting the attention and lifestyle of the bright lights and big city. But there are some who thrive in the environment that this team and it's coach have created. Not only is Hamilton smiling and seemingly happy, but I'd argue his play has elevated because of it. 

I'm not in his head, so I could be projecting, but the guy seems the most happy and confident he's ever been and it's brought him to Norris discussion land. He seems to be loved by his teammates, coach, and fans. He'd be nuts to leave here unless he gets lowballed. So, just don't lowball him. 

The idea of a three-way trade with Pittsburgh is interesting only in that they need picks since JR trades them all away. One year of a UFA goalie usually yields picks. Anderson has been very good, but not great last year which on a one year deal would lower the value. I'd probably let go of our second second rounder. 

Anderson was average last year, but his upside is top 10 the previous two season, so I'd definitely look into him. The thing is the one year. Once he's a UFA, probably not as he'd be on the wrong side of 31, and have to battle with a UFA contract. 

Goalies that have been mentioned that I'd rather have:

Merzlinkins. Strong numbers. Big. Young. Can't see him actually moving.

Kuemper. One of the best goalies in the NHL. Not sure why Arizona would trade, but maybe he wants out. Massive gain if we got him. Massive.

Lehner. If this guy hasn't established himself yet in about 4 different situations, who has. He's really really good. But Vegas probably signs him.

Raanta. He's one of the best goalies in the NHL also, but incredibly injury prone. I'd still go for him, but the price would have to be low: 3rd rounder, something like that. 1 yr left.

Markstrom. UFA. 30 years old. Most think Vancouver has to sign him. Also one of the better goalies. I'd take him. Need no NMC and no more than 4 year deal. (3 would be better). Not sure that would get it done.

I suppose the Kuemper talk was just idle chatter, but if that's there, two years of him and drafting Askarov could be, as I mentioned once before, genius.

37 minutes ago, remkin said:

I would think that it would be entirely possible that Toronto would be one of the last teams in the NHL that Dougy should or would want to go to. Talk about a place where every little thing a player does or doesn't do is publicly dissected. That, and trying to fit into a new locker room, and one with inconsistency and still a lot of major question swirling around. Dougy has indeed found a home here. We often talk of players wanting the attention and lifestyle of the bright lights and big city. But there are some who thrive in the environment that this team and it's coach have created. Not only is Hamilton smiling and seemingly happy, but I'd argue his play has elevated because of it. 

I'm not in his head, so I could be projecting, but the guy seems the most happy and confident he's ever been and it's brought him to Norris discussion land. He seems to be loved by his teammates, coach, and fans. He'd be nuts to leave here unless he gets lowballed. So, just don't lowball him. 

I like this very much rem!!! As you say, none of us truly knows how any of these players roll, and to us, Raleigh and North Carolina are the perfect places to live(not unlike Torontoans in that regard come to think of it). Seeing how Dougie"s reputation preceding him was as a "misfit" by 2 franchises, I also question why he'd want to get back on that horse, but one never knows?

On 9/4/2020 at 7:49 AM, gocanes0506 said:

We made Pronman’s top 10 for 2020 organizational rankings for farm systems / players under 22. We’ll find out where we are in the next week.

Picking up on gocane's point on Corey Pronman's organizational rankings, we are now destined for #6 or higher as Ottawa comes in at 6. 

This is really exciting because, despite trading some key prospects, and owning the #13 pick and two second rounders this draft (not factored into this year's depth ranking), we are moving up the list from last year's #8 ranking. 

I doubt he still considers Necas a prospect and he was our #1 prospect on last year's list. Then we traded our #5 and 6 prospects and we are still top 6 or better. True we did get Joey Keane back for Gauthier, but Kuokkanen just off the list. Also Loustarinen off the list also.

No doubt part of our ranking will be based on the strength of our best 10 under 23 players including on the Canes. 

I will be interested to see how he ranks the prospects we have now. Last year he had Drury at #16. He will have to move up, IMO a good bit up. Then Bokk was not on the list last year, nor, the aforementioned Keane. 

Pronman had Suzuki as our #2 prospect after Necas, but then...Jake Bean. I have to think Bean moves up to #1 or #2. 

Finally, Pronman had big love for Puistola, who he had at #4. "In discussions with NHL teams after the draft, I am definitely on an island with how much I like Puistola, I have not heard from a single NHL scout who had him higher than the second round, but I believe strongly in the player." It will be interesting to see if that holds this year.

It will also be interesting to see where he puts Kochetkov, who was 8. 

Anyways, at least a top 6 system, so we could afford to roll them dice on the goalie. Just sayin....I know, again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Picking up on gocane's point on Corey Pronman's organizational rankings, we are now destined for #6 or higher as Ottawa comes in at 6. 

This is really exciting because, despite trading some key prospects, and owning the #13 pick and two second rounders this draft (not factored into this year's depth ranking), we are moving up the list from last year's #8 ranking. 

I doubt he still considers Necas a prospect and he was our #1 prospect on last year's list. Then we traded our #5 and 6 prospects and we are still top 6 or better. True we did get Joey Keane back for Gauthier, but Kuokkanen just off the list. Also Loustarinen off the list also.

No doubt part of our ranking will be based on the strength of our best 10 under 23 players including on the Canes. 

I will be interested to see how he ranks the prospects we have now. Last year he had Drury at #16. He will have to move up, IMO a good bit up. Then Bokk was not on the list last year, nor, the aforementioned Keane. 

Pronman had Suzuki as our #2 prospect after Necas, but then...Jake Bean. I have to think Bean moves up to #1 or #2. 

Finally, Pronman had big love for Puistola, who he had at #4. "In discussions with NHL teams after the draft, I am definitely on an island with how much I like Puistola, I have not heard from a single NHL scout who had him higher than the second round, but I believe strongly in the player." It will be interesting to see if that holds this year.

It will also be interesting to see where he puts Kochetkov, who was 8. 

Anyways, at least a top 6 system, so we could afford to roll them dice on the goalie. Just sayin....I know, again.

i dont think this is prospects only but organizational rank of players 22 and younger.  I think this includes NHL players. Brady Tkachuk is Ottawa's number one player on Ottawa's list.

Seeing how well Necas did in his role this year is probably what moved us up.

Svech

Necas

Suzuki/Bean

Bean/Suzuki

etc

etc

Edited by gocanes0506

8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

i dont think this is prospects only but organizational rank of players 22 and younger.  I think this includes NHL players. Brady Tkachuk is Ottawa's number one player on Ottawa's list.

Seeing how well Necas did in his role this year is probably what moved us up.

Svech

Necas

Suzuki/Bean

Bean/Suzuki

etc

etc

You're right. He has changed things up a bit from last year, so while a lot of comparisons still hold, some won't. Last year was a deep dive into the farm system as well as under 23 players including the NHL. Even though we ended up #8 overall, he ranked our farm system as #4.

This year, he's not going as deep into the farm, and is using 22 and under including NHL players to rank organizational depth in terms of young players in and out of the NHL. 

So, as you mention, Necas, Svech, etc will all be a part of the main ranking rather than a list at the end, and he probably won't get into our lower end prospects. I take this to mean who has the best higher end young players/prospects. 

Interestingly he says he'll re-rank after the draft. 

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

You're right. He has changed things up a bit from last year, so while a lot of comparisons still hold, some won't. Last year was a deep dive into the farm system as well as under 23 players including the NHL. Even though we ended up #8 overall, he ranked our farm system as #4.

This year, he's not going as deep into the farm, and is using 22 and under including NHL players to rank organizational depth in terms of young players in and out of the NHL. 

So, as you mention, Necas, Svech, etc will all be a part of the main ranking rather than a list at the end, and he probably won't get into our lower end prospects. I take this to mean who has the best higher end young players/prospects. 

Interestingly he says he'll re-rank after the draft. 

Funny you mentioned Puistola as Pronman has such a love for him.  A Liiiga talking head mentioned that Puistola is Liiga’s most noticeable player so far in the preseason. Its preseason and doesn’t mean much but hopefully it means good things to come for Puistola.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1