The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

Sounds like it's a great  documentary.  My favorite tough guy is Stu Grimson.  You can still see his PSA here in Raleigh where he's

pummeling people on the ice -- and ends up singing 'the itsy bitsy spider' to his daughter when she calls the arena before bedtime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

It's crazy that all major sports  are playing at the same time .  Baseball , Basketball ,Football  and Hockey .  Not sure if  MLS  or Lacross would count but out of the 4 major sports  it's kinda  neat . 

Doesn’t this happen every October?

17 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Doesn’t this happen every October?

Yes it does .  But this time around  you have 3 sports  in playoffs  , baseball , basketball and hockey  .    football is the exception . 

Not sure if this was already known - i hadn't seen it anyway - but Rick Dudley is now a 'Senior Advisor to the General Manager' for the Florida Panthers.  No longer with the Canes.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/florida-panthers-announce-new-additions-changes-to-hockey-operations-staff/c-319046126?fbclid=IwAR1uuSx37eBhIsl1JxkqT55ra-ohM-p0HMMgwCKwxrsR-25lSsKSZfrhO0Q

With no disrespect to Rick and his new job, I have two observations:

1) Who?  Who's Dudley?  Why didn't I remember him before.  Was he a member of the committee?

2) Is this Dwight's job?

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

With no disrespect to Rick and his new job, I have two observations:

1) Who?  Who's Dudley?  Why didn't I remember him before.  Was he a member of the committee?

2) Is this Dwight's job?

I assume he was on the committee but who the heck knows whose really on the committee. The committee is borderline on par with the Freemasons. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Not sure if this was already known - i hadn't seen it anyway - but Rick Dudley is now a 'Senior Advisor to the General Manager' for the Florida Panthers.  No longer with the Canes.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/florida-panthers-announce-new-additions-changes-to-hockey-operations-staff/c-319046126?fbclid=IwAR1uuSx37eBhIsl1JxkqT55ra-ohM-p0HMMgwCKwxrsR-25lSsKSZfrhO0Q

Dudley came to the Canes when Waddell was promoted to GM. I think they had history together in Atlanta. I’m sure he was part of the “committee”, but if I’m not mistaken, he’s getting up in age. 

Wow. Just read Dudley’s bio in the linked article. 45 years professional hockey experience, but for the last 20 years, it looks like his average tenure with one team is the 2 years he spent here. And he was with the Thrashers for a couple of years, presumably when Waddell was there.

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Wow. Just read Dudley’s bio in the linked article. 45 years professional hockey experience, but for the last 20 years, it looks like his average tenure with one team is the 2 years he spent here. And he was with the Thrashers for a couple of years, presumably when Waddell was there.

I did too. I was shocked at his experience; multiple GM & Asst GM stints, Head Coach, NHL player, and more. Of course as you mention he didn't stick in one place for very long, so who knows the quality of that experience? But talk about a resume . . .

7 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Edmundson  signed  to the habs for 3.5   for 4 years . 

I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Dudley came to the Canes when Waddell was promoted to GM. I think they had history together in Atlanta. I’m sure he was part of the “committee”, but if I’m not mistaken, he’s getting up in age. 

I am pretty sure they had a history prior to Atlanta.  I believe they were both associated with the San Diego Gulls in the early '90's.  

A year ago tonight the Canes played their first preseason game of the season and wore their fugly white sweaters for the first time.  This has been a long season...

15 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

The wild  send Erik Staal to the sabres  for marcus  johansson.

As a Red Sox fan, this is going to be like seeing Wade Boggs wearing a Yankees uniform.

Back in 2018, as the committee was being formed, we were discussing some of the additions. We had added Dudley just before this, but my response below was to adding a guy named Bob Teofilo who is a hockey analytics guy. I didn't see him on the staff page, but according to Linked in he's still with the team. But this about him then Dudely:

"But in all seriousness, I am much more excited about this guy than Dudley. He is behind some interesting new stats. I'm hoping that Dudley is there more to smooth things out with some old boy connections and not actually making any decisions. I guess with Dudley and this guy you get some real variation in perspective though, which may be what Dundon is going for."

It did seem like TD planned to run the committee and was surrounding himself on the one hand with old hands, connected to the sport, and on the other analytics types. Dudley  is 71. Definitely been around. He has a history with Waddell in Florida, so I guess going back there makes some sense. Hey, wait, first Florida steals our AHL team, then Dudley goes to Florida....hmmmm... Just kidding. Pretty sure TD drove that Charlotte to Chicago train.

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

3.5 million for a physical presence is a lot.  Glad we didn’t do it.

I must not understand how hockey works.   Edmundson played 68 games 7 goals 13 assists 20 points +/-  at 7.  Another player on the team whose name can not be mentioned because ...... well just because.    He had 8 goals 19 assists 27 points +/- at 3 and he is making a ton of money.    I am not sure why Edmundson  would not be worth 3.5 million per year.   What I wish we could have done was get rid of Jake Gardiner who is not only a physical presence but is also a physical liability.  Just my humble opinion.  

22 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

I must not understand how hockey works.   Edmundson played 68 games 7 goals 13 assists 20 points +/-  at 7.  Another player on the team whose name can not be mentioned because ...... well just because.    He had 8 goals 19 assists 27 points +/- at 3 and he is making a ton of money.    I am not sure why Edmundson  would not be worth 3.5 million per year.   What I wish we could have done was get rid of Jake Gardiner who is not only a physical presence but is also a physical liability.  Just my humble opinion.  

you are comparing apples and oranges.  

We have a plethora of LHDs and Center values are way higher than LHD.  LHD have the lower value of the two defensive sides anyways.  Edmundson did add 20 points in scoring but his 5v5 play was below league average.  3.5 million is a lot to pay for a guy that does well in PK situations

Staal is overpaid for the last 2 years of scoring production.  He does a lot more.  Until Aho and Trocheck are a true 1-2 combo then Staal becomes unnecessary.  Aho and Tro arent there, yet.  Aho is scoring wise, at center he needs a little more work (he is 23 so it is expected).

Gardiner is Gardiner.  I dont know if the management team knew how long the back issues would bother him and was willing to take a gamble on the 1st year.  If Gardiner can return to 30-50 points over the next year, he is easily worth 4 million a year. One can  argue he was very unlucky this year with GF and GA.  Im not a big luck guy myself but, the argument is there. He had a GF 31 to GA of 47 in ES play but his expected was 43 GF and 39.  

Edited by gocanes0506

6 hours ago, caniac6 said:

As a Red Sox fan, this is going to be like seeing Wade Boggs wearing a Yankees uniform.

I know why the Sabres wanted  Staal , and it has everything to do  with Kevin  Adams ,  that and  Staal  can actually play 2nd line center unlike  Johansson .

10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

3.5 million for a physical presence is a lot.  Glad we didn’t do it.

Canes are back sliding into Candy Cane territory again. Having a physical element to the teams playing style will ensure they don’t get b***h slapped in the playoffs like Boston has done to them the last two years. It’s no surprise to see heavier playing teams go deeper into the playoffs. Who’s going to stop the other team from working over our first line? Canes need to add a few more willing types if they expect to be playoff contenders. 

• Like 2