The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

21 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Seguin is invisible every night.

Story of his entire season this year...Benn’s too

20 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Story of his entire season this year...Benn’s too

I admit I’m not really following the SCF, but I would not count Dallas out yet. Apparently, Dallas played a listless Game 3. Don’t know of any reason Dallas can not respond. I’m about 60/40 favoring the Bolts. After all, we know who won the Stanley Cup next awarded after Tampa last won, albeit with the lost Strike year in between. But I still think either team could win.

I know Forslund has his own thread, but I am beyond sad that his departure is now apparently a certainty. Everyone can disagree, and I know many do, but I am a fan who primarily follows the Canes on TV.  Dundon can spend his money how he wants. So can I.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2020 at 11:31 PM, bluedevilcane said:

I know Forslund has his own thread, but I am beyond sad that his departure is now apparently a certainty. Everyone can disagree, and I know many do, but I am a fan who primarily follows the Canes on TV.  Dundon can spend his money how he wants. So can I.

I am sad to see him go and I also watch game on TV. However I watch the games and while John is the best PbP guy there is and was great I am more interested in the on ice product then who is doing the talking. I live in the Caps viewing area and while I dislike it I watch the Caps announcers, when the Canes play them. I will damn sure watch Mike and Tripp. 

Edited by Derailed75
  • Like 2

Loved him for style, dry sense of humor, accuracy and personal, pointed knowledge of players and coaches alike . Respected him above all broadcasters in the partial yet tempered, honest assessment of canes fortunes, from the futile of the 2010's to the climbing the nhl heap into respectability and the novel like endearment of league fans with the "Jerks" popularity and celebratory face, that reinstalled the franchise onto the sports map. 

My hope is that he rides on to the nbc anchor type role, and doesn't end up in another market with his edged degree of partiality for another team that we have to face regularly and be it in highlights or regional coverage regulations, pain canes fans all over again. That in my personal appraisal would highlight and give rebirth to the disappointment of the situation as it evolved here, and stir up unnecessary angst. 

He is the best, and beyond all else the franchise as well as foxsports owes him in an esoteric way, the accumulation of the average and casual carolinas sports fan to hockey, where little interest may have existed before. I've actually heard many people remark over the years that I know to have little day to day interest, that his style and appeal kept them on a game longer and generated a hometown interest when just scrolling through sports channels.

He is missed, yet Mike will do a fine job with whatever style, and his preparation as a sideline public figure in the market has made him as prepared as we the fan could expect. If the canes continue as a winning, relevant team, this too will pass.

• Like 1

I always loved hearing Forsland call the Canes games. Very professional and not a homer. Obviously his talents are recognized outside of Carolina or he wouldn’t be calling for NBC etc. I can’t really blame either side but with the Coronavirus seriously effecting the Canes financially I would rather see the money put to signing players we need to keep. I moved to the Richmond area 3 years ago so I already lost him. 😟 

• Like 1

Canes fans will still be treated to hearing  Forslund  call games of the canes  .  If anything i  bet he would ask NBC  to showcase the team more  so he can call the games   .  Given  how often  other teams are showcased    Carolina is starting to step into that role of being  recognized . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Being a LONG time fan of the Whalers/Canes:

As long as we are relevant/winning and are a cap/near cap team instead of rummaging through the bargain bin like we did in the past, I don’t care who is calling the games. 

Ok, I care a little but you get my point...

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

and are a cap/near cap team instead of rummaging through the bargain bin like we did in the past

The  notion  that  has always  made me think in regards to   being a  Cap team  vs  not being one  was made clear  last year  When  the Canadiens  tried to snag Aho  from  the Canes .   For obvious reasons  Carolina was lucky  to have  Cap  room  to spend  and did so .  How ever   if the chance  Carolina was  near  cap   and Aho  was offer sheeted  . Then  the possibility of losing Aho would have been a possibility .     Normally teams  don't offer sheet players of other teams out of mutual respect  and not to be painted  as a      ( Expletive Derogatory )   Which makes sense why it is not wise to be a near cap team in such cases .    The league do not take pity on  small market teams  and  really wont  if they are capped out .   

The risk is just not worth it .    

12 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Get nothing rem?

Well the thing's over. It was interesting listening to TD on that interview with AG. I really did sense some humility in it to the possibility that it might be a mistake. But he explained it in his terms. They just couldn't come to a deal. He did talk up MM's truly caring and more about John's skill at calling games. One has to read between the lines on this, and really we don't know. I do wonder if there might be at least a bit of personal in there. Maybe the scoreboard comments, or other. I really did sense John was not thrilled with the one year deal he got last year and that probably affected the relationship.

It's TD's prerogative to run his business his way. I do fully appreciate the notion of keeping the money on the ice and supporting the product on the ice directly (practice facilities, etc). I just happen to think that the team broadcaster is a bit of an overlapping area, and haggling about money at the numbers likely involved is still a mistake. TD talks a lot about the brand and how much it has strengthened. IMO having the universally agreed upon best local broadcaster in hockey, who is also an ambassador for the team, is pretty good for the brand.

Going to MM for me allows this go down easier than any other alternative. A guy coming in from the outside would have been tough, and Shaya would have been too big of a drop off. MM is going to be good. Will he be as good as John? Not likely IMO, but he will be good and it will be fine. 

There may be some indirect benefits too. JF was probably headed for the full time national job at some point, and this gets MM on board and going. Also, it does resonate the message in the organization that the business side, is the business side, and money will not be overspent there. 

I will say that I really did appreciate that AG interview with TD. I think he is absolutely committed to the Canes and Raleigh, and the franchise is in very good hands. He is smart and IMO on the right track in many areas. I'm very happy we have him. I think he was wrong on this one move, but overall, we are very lucky to have him at the top.

• Like 1

In my many years being a canes fan ,  Not once have i ever been given the chance to talk to John Forslund  in person .   In the short  time Mike Maniscalco  has been with the Canes i  got to talk hockey with him  2 times .    Mike  has  shown me  he  is not bothered at all with  the fans of the team  and  it shows .    The man does a podcast each week with  Michael  Smith  for the web site  and they take  questions  , which they have answered my questions a few times  .     Canes are in good hands in my opinion .   Nothing lasts  forever .  John  will be missed  but he will still be around  calling games on the national level .   

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

I've had the opportunity to talk to John twice and Tripp once. They were both very engaging and did not have any apparent sense of ego about it. Both experiences were on my highlight reel for my life as a Canes fan. That said, I have no doubt that Mike would be just as engaging. BTW, I think Shaya would be engaging too. It also comes down to the actual call of the game. But I think Mike will be good. This is a huge opportunity for him and I expect him to really work to keep improving and honing the craft. 

One of the nice things about being a Canes fan is the ongoing opportunities to engage with players and management over time. Had the opportunity to briefly talk to Don Waddell, Brind'Amour, Shane Willis, John and Tripp, Eric Staal, and some other players briefly, and of course had my dream lunch with Francis, who also was extremely engaging and down to Earth for over an hour! I've seen TD in the PNC restaurant, but with his family, didn't want to disturb him. And I don't even live in Raleigh!

• Like 1

The TD interview with Adam Gold was again, interesting IMO.

He said we have enough good players right now to win the cup, and later said that at this point you have to be careful not to make a trade and make the team worse. 

He did say it would be unlikely we'd take a goalie at #13, but also that there are exceptions to every rule

He also said that each player makes the choice of how physical to play. 

He does not see size as thing he's looking for. Only if two players are equal would he take the bigger player. 

He made a good point on the progression process. As the team gets better we don't get that lesser effort from the opponent taking us lightly. He thought that was a factor last year. He thinks Jordan Staal is one of the best players in the league. He also said that Brind'Amour is the most untouchable person in the organization. I think those two comments might be related as Brindy loves Jordan.

If he thinks there is a problem with Nino, he didn't let on (may not want to lower trade value IMO).

Svech he says will not be playing anywhere else for 20 years. Dougy he loves, but was a bit more reserved in that negotiation, thinks it should be doable. 

Says that a big part of going with the Wolves was less travel time for the players. Thinks it might free up 15-25 days that could be used for development.

Said that with Forslund they just couldn't make a deal. Says he often turns the sound down on other broadcasters, especially "that guy in Boston".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

In my many years being a canes fan ,  Not once have i ever been given the chance to talk to John Forslund  in person .   In the short  time Mike Maniscalco  has been with the Canes i  got to talk hockey with him  2 times .    Mike  has  shown me  he  is not bothered at all with  the fans of the team  and  it shows .    The man does a podcast each week with  Michael  Smith  for the web site  and they take  questions  , which they have answered my questions a few times  .     Canes are in good hands in my opinion .   Nothing lasts  forever .  John  will be missed  but he will still be around  calling games on the national level .   

I met John, and we talked about the Red Sox. He was a good guy. We very rarely miss a game, and during the very lean years, John and Tripp provided a lot of entertainment. Nothing against Mike, but I'm really going to miss John. Not only one of the best, but a good guy, too.

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Canes fans will still be treated to hearing  Forslund  call games of the canes  .  If anything i  bet he would ask NBC  to showcase the team more  so he can call the games   .  Given  how often  other teams are showcased    Carolina is starting to step into that role of being  recognized . 

The broadcasters have zero input into what games are on national television. The Canes will continue to get their one game a year on the national cable network unless they become such a powerhouse that fans outside of Raleigh want to see them. Dynamic players like Aho and Svech could get them on a few more times, but how many national games did Tampa get with all their top tier players? As to Forslund calling national games, if I’m not mistaken, NBC has the NHL for one more year. They may keep it but I’ve also read ESPN may have interest in hockey again. Then again, ESPN may be enamored of his talents as well. And I wouldn’t count on Forslund pushing to get Hurricanes games on national broadcasts anyway. Last I heard, Kaiton had not been to a Canes game since they let him go, and he said he had no plans to attend one. I doubt John will feel any differently. And I don’t blame either of them.

2 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

The broadcasters have zero input into what games are on national television. The Canes will continue to get their one game a year on the national cable network unless they become such a powerhouse that fans outside of Raleigh want to see them. Dynamic players like Aho and Svech could get them on a few more times, but how many national games did Tampa get with all their top tier players? As to Forslund calling national games, if I’m not mistaken, NBC has the NHL for one more year. They may keep it but I’ve also read ESPN may have interest in hockey again. Then again, ESPN may be enamored of his talents as well. And I wouldn’t count on Forslund pushing to get Hurricanes games on national broadcasts anyway. Last I heard, Kaiton had not been to a Canes game since they let him go, and he said he had no plans to attend one. I doubt John will feel any differently. And I don’t blame either of them.

Do you honestly believe  Forslund would be a petty  man  ?  It's been his dream to call games  nationally   and  he is living it .    NBC   values  his  calling  a lot  and I seriously doubt Forslund to be bitter about  not getting  to call anymore  canes games for Fox Sports .   After all it was entirely  his decision  if he wanted to  continue his relationship with the Hurricanes  and he chose his dream job .    Cant blame the man ,  there is more games for him to call which he loves to do and  he is making way more money and is being treated like the professional that he is .   Im  Proud  of John Forslund  for reaching his goal .   Something not a lot of people get to do .  :D

13 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Do you honestly believe  Forslund would be a petty  man  ?  It's been his dream to call games  nationally   and  he is living it .    NBC   values  his  calling  a lot  and I seriously doubt Forslund to be bitter about  not getting  to call anymore  canes games for Fox Sports .   After all it was entirely  his decision  if he wanted to  continue his relationship with the Hurricanes  and he chose his dream job .    Cant blame the man ,  there is more games for him to call which he loves to do and  he is making way more money and is being treated like the professional that he is .   Im  Proud  of John Forslund  for reaching his goal .   Something not a lot of people get to do .  :D

I am in the TD camp.  Spend the money on the players, not the guy singing their praises.  Hey, Kaiton called the games for what, 30 years?  Which direction has the team gone since his demise?  Case closed.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

No I don’t think Forslund is a petty man. I think he is a man with a family to support. He will continue to do national games, at least as long as NBC is the broadcast outlet, but clearly intended to do local games as well. Maybe he and Dundon didn’t see eye to eye. But from all appearances he was asked to take a pay cut and declined. So I’m sure he feels after 30 years, the team cut ties with him. I think it would be petty for him to publicly trash the team, and I’m sure he won’t. But I don’t think he’ll be out drumming up support for them either. And I wouldn’t characterize this as him leaving for his dream job. He has been doing both, and could have continued to do so. Part of his talent was being able to be a little bit of a homer when calling Canes games, and the next night calling a national game straight down the middle. I think we are in the wrong thread for this. I’d like to hear what Dundon said to Adam Gold. If he said he might regret this decision, I think he was prophetic. But he got his point across. If Chuck and John are shown the door when they declined his terms, everyone in the organization not named Rod or who is not a player better think twice before rejecting that first offer. 

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Says that a big part of going with the Wolves was less travel time for the players. Thinks it might free up 15-25 days that could be used for development.

We keep focusing on travel time to the big club.   Turns out that's not the focus.  The real issue is schlepping the whole team.  Charlotte is in an AHL desert.   That's a problem.

I'm an introvert and really don't want to talk to broadcasters or players.  Not a concern of mine.

I've only run into two broadcasters in my life that I recall.  One was running into Jim McKay.  I said hi while we were washing our hands at our respective sinks in a rest room.   The other was talking breifly with Chuck K. while waiting for a plane.  He was extremely crusty and salty because our plane was delayed.  It wasn't a great experience.

He thinks Jordan Staal is one of the best players in the league.....TD says.  

I feel so silly not being able to understand that statement.     I guess that's why I'm not rich (ha) !!