The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

Enjoyed the podcast.  TD has been too quiet for my tastes as a long time sth.

For me two things stuck out.

1) the money goes to players and player development.  He's said that so many times and folks are still surprised when other parts are replaced - like the JF thing going south, or wherever he ends up.  MM is a Hurricane, just like the rest of us, so I've moved on.

2) Before Gold got it out of his mouth TD said Brindy was untouchable. I hope Brindy gets paid for being that.

I miss live games.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Dallas is done...they can’t get out of their own way, and Seguin/Benn each need to be hit by a bus.

Dallas was seeing Stars after game 3, which ultimately when this series was over. It was a good try. Maybe there’s some more excitement left if they can eke one out here to extend the series.

I’m not an overly sentimental guy but I wish JF the best. Games won’t quite be the same but I know MM will knock it out of the park in his own way.  Can’t wait for our guys to get back out in the ice, fans or no fans.

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, surfzone365 said:

I’m not an overly sentimental guy but I wish JF the best. Games won’t quite be the same but I know MM will knock it out of the park in his own way.  Can’t wait for our guys to get back out in the ice, fans or no fans.

All of this.  MM, if you're reading this, please never use the Gussie line again.

• Like 4

Hope John made the right choice, personally I find his play calling without his home team catch phrases really boring or maybe that's what makes him good. Got me.

Rooting for Mike, everytime he has a major life event his job gets cooler and cooler. He's got some work to do though....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Do you honestly believe  Forslund would be a petty  man  ?  It's been his dream to call games  nationally   and  he is living it . 

No, his dream was to continue living and working primarily in Raleigh--he said it any number of times--but also to leave when it suited him to call national games. While not losing any of his Canes salary, and in fact increasing it. He got all that with PK, but TD balked, because he has made businesses go by understanding them, rather than by sheer dumb luck. So how did JF respond? Like a team player?

No... by deciding to hold his services hostage--at the worst possible moment in the economic history of humankind. And he lost. And we already know he'll gladly go petty. He did again and again with his on-live-TV sarcasm about the new scoreboard. I'm sure it made Kaiton howl, but Kaiton wasn't the guy signing his checks. The bottom line? JF is a great announcer--and a lousy negotiator. 

• Like 1

Obviously Brind'Amour's hockey knowledge and insight is infinitely deeper than mine even when he's asleep for the night and dreaming. But I do have to wonder about the whole Jordan Staal thing, which clearly has seeped into TD's mindset. Brind'Amour is a character guy and a proven leader. He says Staal is a rock and a massively good person, I take that as truth. And I've always been on board with the idea that Jordan is the living definition of a guy who brings many intangibles that don't show up on the score sheet: leadership (that we probably don't see all of), physical presence, strong possession ability, tenacious D, OK, face-off wins, etc. But doesn't a guy have to put up some minimum level of production for his salary? To keep leading other players? 

I get TD giving Nino a pass because, IMO they're probably trying to trade him. I get him not listing goaltending as an area of need, both because it's been at least decent and because we are trying to upgrade there, and why lessen our hand? But is he trying to lay the groundwork for a blockbuster deal with Staal by pumping him up? Knowing Brindy's long affection for Jordan, and TD's reliance on Brindy, I don't think so. 

It's just hard to watch another highly paid Staal decline dramatically in production while serving as team captain. I guess on the flip-side, if Staal can find a resurgence to a least that 20G, 50P level, it would likely lift this team higher than another player hitting 70 points. It's just overdue and with his brother, it only happened after a change of scenery.

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

First I've heard of Forslund responding to being cut:

https://abc11.com/hurricanes-john-forslund-carolina-caniacs/6564246/

Wow.....would have never guessed it ended this way.   TD is starting to look ruthless.   I can't imagine Waddell not even reaching out to a man who has been so involved in Hurricanes/Whalers history.  Especially in the community promoting the team.  I know.....TD can do what he wants.   He's the owner.   I get it.   Maybe harsh is a good word.   This must be how business is done in today's world.  I have understood for years that loyalty in business is quite limited but this just stinks.   

So, two Staals have been traded this...umm...offseason. One more to go.

🙂

Damn you Detroit for helping out the Rangers.

For those that didn’t see, Marc Staal and a 2nd round pick were traded to Detroit for future considerations.

• Like 1

Nhl In october  is   

3rd  yard sell 

6th and 7th  for the nhl draft 

9th  is Free agency  

then mid october assuming   prospects camp  ( for those available )   No Askarov  if drafted  since he would be in the KHL  with SKA  St. Petersberg 

No Slepets  since he is currently injured and is playing in the MHL   or Kochetkov  either since he is playing in the  KHL  for the Ruskies ( same team Semin is playing on ouch  )

Ohl  WHl  NCAA  Liiga  , Del  and SHL  have not started their seasons yet ,  so possibly  Suzuki , Rees ,  Sellgren , Honka ,  Puistola , Webber , Drury , and some others  could get called up to practice .   not really sure , just going by assumptions . 

Nhl 21  comes out on the 16th .   

No  ps5 or Xbox x  series release ,  only on ps4 and  xbox one . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Phone calls flow in two directions. Forslund owed TD an apology, and we'll never know--but I'd bet he never paid up.

Could you please explain.   I don't know about Forslund owing TD an apology.   Curious. 

23 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Enjoyed the podcast.  TD has been too quiet for my tastes as a long time sth.

For me two things stuck out.

1) the money goes to players and player development.  He's said that so many times and folks are still surprised when other parts are replaced - like the JF thing going south, or wherever he ends up.  MM is a Hurricane, just like the rest of us, so I've moved on.

2) Before Gold got it out of his mouth TD said Brindy was untouchable. I hope Brindy gets paid for being that.

I miss live games.

I just listened to the whole podcast.  To sum it up:

1) The NHL is a league of parity.  The Canes can win The Cup.  So can most of the other teams.

2) Svechnikov is going to be there for 20 years.

3) Couldn't get a deal done with Forslund.  Move on with Mike.

12 hours ago, beboplar said:

I just listened to the whole podcast.  To sum it up:

1) The NHL is a league of parity.  The Canes can win The Cup.  So can most of the other teams.

2) Svechnikov is going to be there for 20 years.

3) Couldn't get a deal done with Forslund.  Move on with Mike.

That’s a no-BS, no soft stuff approach that’s right on point.  That’s the way you gotta deliver it. 

• Like 1

I will miss John Forslund. It is that simple. There are plenty of good hockey announcers but only a few with the "it" factor. Forslund is in that small group.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Phone calls flow in two directions. Forslund owed TD an apology, and we'll never know--but I'd bet he never paid up.

Top, I think we agree on most things. No offense, but you seem to make assumptions that support your positions sometimes. As far as your earlier comment about TD being successful because he made good business decisions, I’m sure that’s true. However, he made his fortune in the sub-prime auto lending business. High interest loans to low income borrowers. Read his bio on the web. Sentimental people are not compatible with that business.

16 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

Could you please explain.   I don't know about Forslund owing TD an apology.   Curious. 

Forslund sarcastically beat up TD on live television several times during the shortened season, for spending millions on a much-needed new scoreboard. He was clearly taking TD to task for finding the money for that last summer (2019), but not for a new long-term contract for himself and (by inference) Chuck Kaiton. Forslund clearly thought he was either too popular or too good to suffer the consequences of biting the hand that fed him.

Even if he did apologize for that sophomoric stunt--which I doubt--he nonetheless took umbrage at TD expecting him to accept being paid only for the Canes games he called, and refused the deal. Then, he sung the blues--again, publicly--despite having witnessed how things went just a year before (before anybody even knew what COVID was) when Chuck did the same thing. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Top, I think we agree on most things. No offense, but you seem to make assumptions that support your positions sometimes. As far as your earlier comment about TD being successful because he made good business decisions, I’m sure that’s true. However, he made his fortune in the sub-prime auto lending business. High interest loans to low income borrowers. Read his bio on the web. Sentimental people are not compatible with that business.

I'm well aware of his history. When did I ever claim TD was sentimental? And why would we want him to be? We have years and years of evidence of how well that works in the NHL. Am I crazy about how he made his money? Of course not. But he's the one who has to sleep with that at night, and at some point deal with whatever karma it created for him.

I, on the other hand, am dealing with the Tom Dundon who is running the Canes, and my bottom line on that, at least so far, is that he told us exactly how he planned to operate coming in, and every decision he has made has aligned with what he said.

As for extrapolating how individuals' known behaviors may have influenced decisions already made, or may influence decisions yet to be made, I am absolutely guilty as charged. And so are you. So are all of us--at least until we can be flies on the wall in the room where the decisions are being made, because lacking that, the known behaviors of the key players in the decisions we discuss are all we have to go on.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Just reading a thread on another forum that asks readers to name their top 5 teams in the next 5 years. Almost every person who posted listed the Canes among their five. Methinks the days of flying under the radar are gone.  

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Just reading a thread on another forum that asks readers to name their top 5 teams in the next 5 years. Almost every person who posted listed the Canes among their five. Methinks the days of flying under the radar are gone.  

Well they kind of have to be .   Brind'Amour  gets a lot of the credit  for being a coach a lot of people  did not expect to turn out to be really great .

The emergence of  Star  talent on the team  ,  when i  go on twitch or other places  i sometimes  hear people confess their man crush for  Aho  . 

The defense   gets bragged about as the deepest  even if  so and so is not in the line up  , other  people  recognize  and state  certain " defense man "  is a top 4.

First time in  Carolina Hurricanes  history  to have back to back playoffs .

A gm  given a 2nd chance to prove why   he  was not the reason why the thrashers  failed   but had more to do with ownership .

Lots of People  really like the style that  the Canes play   with a aggressive  forecheck instead of sitting back playing trap hockey all day .

The 3rd jersey  has caught the eye of people  and  they like how the uniform looks .

Given it's track record  being a small market   doing fun things like the surge  and how hard the players play   it is appealing to other people .

Things  just seem to be looking  up and up for the Canes  .   

8 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

The interview with TD, he attributes last year not being even better to that factor. That is, in the past the Canes were getting low level efforts a lot and as we know a slew of back up goalies we couldn't solve. But after two years ago, teams don't take us lightly and last year we got a lot team's best efforts. Basically that is part of the growth chart of a team on the rise. Suggests good things for next season if and when it happens.

Watched another video the other night, forgot to mention it here but...

Apparently we inquired about Laine but it didn’t go far, I knew about that already.

What I didn’t know is that we reportedly talked to Boston about Jake DeBrusk. 

FWIW I only watch/talk about videos that use the usual confirmed sources (Dreger, Friedman, etc.), not videos where it is Joe Shmoe making up his own stuff. 

3 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Watched another video the other night, forgot to mention it here but...

Apparently we inquired about Laine but it didn’t go far, I knew about that already.

What I didn’t know is that we reportedly talked to Boston about Jake DeBrusk. 

FWIW I only watch/talk about videos that use the usual confirmed sources (Dreger, Friedman, etc.), not videos where it is Joe Shmoe making up his own stuff. 

I took the Laine talk to be nothing more than offseason banter and mere curious inquiry on our part.  Sometimes you toss the bait out and see what bites. We'll see what pans out here in the near future.