The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

13 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I hope so also .   It's very hard to find right handed Shut down  defense men .   Crazy enough Carolina has  3 . 

I assume Hamilton is #2.  Who is #3?

10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Keane isnt a shutdown guy, Dougie isnt either.

Hamilton is more of a offense defenseman  but he has that shut down  side  he can turn on.    Keane   in the ahl  was  doing  some very tough work   on defense with the checkers  in the short amount of time  he joined the team .     I dont know why you would make that claim . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

13 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Hamilton is more of a offense defenseman  but he has that shut down  side  he can turn on.    Keane   in the ahl  was  doing  some very tough work   on defense with the checkers  in the short amount of time  he joined the team .     I dont know why you would make that claim . 

defensively sound and shutdown are two different things.  Slavin and Pesce are shutdown guys.  Hamilton and Keane are not. 

https://twitter.com/ice_chip/status/1297914788920668160?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Waddell said "We've got a good bunch of guys here. We want to be careful. We're not saying we need to make wholesale changes." Will be close to the cap again. 

The man lost a ton of money this season and still wants to max out his winning opportunity.  

Edited by gocanes0506

So, rather than trying to exactly figure it out, I just throw this general idea out there. 

If we can package some part of our signed D corp and some part of our signed underperforming forwards for just one higher end forward and keep the expansion draft in mind, that would be nice. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

So, rather than trying to exactly figure it out, I just throw this general idea out there. 

If we can package some part of our signed D corp and some part of our signed underperforming forwards for just one higher end forward and keep the expansion draft in mind, that would be nice. 

What Team/s  do you have in mind ?   The Signed  Canes defense  we have already is Slavin , Hamilton , Pesce , Skjei  , Fleury  , Bean  Gardiner .  The only UFA's  are  Edmundson ,  TVR and Vatanen .

And as for  forwards Which   do you  think   could  go ?    Nino  and Dzingle  are the only ones  that seem like they did not contribute at all .  

13 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

What Team/s  do you have in mind ?

Really just musing and stimulating some thought. I was reflecting on the rumored Pesce for Nylander trade of old, thinking, perhaps contrarian, that it would not have been that bad of a deal for us. I love Pesce, and he's one of the better shut down guys in the league, but Nylander has turned into a .87 ppg guy on a 38 goal pace (31 actual pucks in net) good for #15 in the NHL on goals. (2 goals and 4 points in 5 playoff games too). Pesce is one of only 2 RHD on the team also, and I'm sure that deal isn't there anymore anyways, and Pesce is coming off injury is a great teammate and is on a good contract, so I'm not saying trade him. Just that you have to give to get, and we have Fleury and Bean to step in. And those guys will be on hopefully team-friendly deals too.

In the trading game those young, unproven or just emerging D men don't bring full value, so I don't favor trading Fleury or Bean. 

Gardiner probably doesn't bring much back. As much as I doubt we went out and got Skjei to trade him, we pretty fat on D and he's a LHD. Not sure what he'd bring back either, but moving his salary out could allow for a salary back.

I really don't have the thing figured out, but with Dzingle, Nino and even Trocheck not really pouring the points in, adding one reliable point getter up front would be nice. I've mentioned I'd keep Trocheck, but Dzinino could move if it brought something back.

What offering Dzingel back to CBJ for Anderson? Or just offer sheet him?

Palmieri tops the list

if we make the right moves we can afford Hall long term.  

Connolly from Florida may not be a bad get.  Florida trying to cut costs and he has a cheap deal.

Hall is an interesting thought. I may be wrong, but more and more he's been moving into my, "there must be a reason his teams keep losing" pile of players with the likes of say Matt Duchenne and Mike Hoffman to name just two. Hall has also been very up and down. The high end is off the charts though, and I don't think he's in that same pile as potential cancers really. 

Hall could be interesting if he were looking to coast a couple of Covid years on a high pay, but short term deal. I doubt he would, but it would be intriguing if one could sign him for say 2-3 years or 4 with no NTC. I highly doubt he's looking for that, but there is a sense that a couple of guys might like the idea of getting a new whack at UFA after Covid has passed and the new TV deal kicks in. It could be a plan so crazy it just might work! 

Nah, probably not. 

But he could flourish under Brindy and adding that much offense without giving anything away in a trade...and oh so much skill. He says he wants to win. He could do worse than this up and coming team.

17 hours ago, remkin said:

Hall is an interesting thought. I may be wrong, but more and more he's been moving into my, "there must be a reason his teams keep losing" pile of players with the likes of say Matt Duchenne and Mike Hoffman to name just two. Hall has also been very up and down. The high end is off the charts though, and I don't think he's in that same pile as potential cancers really. 

Hall could be interesting if he were looking to coast a couple of Covid years on a high pay, but short term deal. I doubt he would, but it would be intriguing if one could sign him for say 2-3 years or 4 with no NTC. I highly doubt he's looking for that, but there is a sense that a couple of guys might like the idea of getting a new whack at UFA after Covid has passed and the new TV deal kicks in. It could be a plan so crazy it just might work! 

Nah, probably not. 

But he could flourish under Brindy and adding that much offense without giving anything away in a trade...and oh so much skill. He says he wants to win. He could do worse than this up and coming team.

Hall hasn’t played with high end center like Aho yet.  RNH wasn’t as good as he is now the last time those two played together. His losing is more he was on the Oilers, Devils, and Coyotes.

Hall said he wants a winner and stable more than filling up his account.

moving Dzingel and one of Nino/Gardiner this season and we can afford him.  Moving another pricey contract the following season.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Hall  would be a nice piece , if he could get back to that 93 point season  that would be awesome to have .   His  play away from the puck did not look good however  in that series with the yotes .    Just something to think about . 

12 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Hall  would be a nice piece , if he could get back to that 93 point season  that would be awesome to have .   His  play away from the puck did not look good however  in that series with the yotes .    Just something to think about . 

There was a reason Edmonton let him go...between his ears

Im still thinking RW. Greenway RFA, Kassian and Spezza UFA I believe. Is Spezza first line, no, neither was JW.  The effort and heart I saw from Spezza this year made me think if they could convince him, there would be worse pick ups. Much as Im not a fan of Kassian, he brings that missing physicality, and can play in the top lines when needed. Think he even put in a few goals, but I would guess even I could do that with my goalie stick playing with Mcdavid.

one good thing for us.  

Pronman does his annual organizational assessments based on 22 and younger players plus farm system ranking to judge the future of a club.

31- Washington

30- Pittsburgh

27- Islanders

I expect us to be close to the top with

Necas, Svech, and the farm.

Edited by gocanes0506

15 hours ago, remkin said:

Waddell says team will soon make announcement on AHL affiliation. No news today.

Wonder why it would change again from the Chicago Wolves wasn't it? Another COVID victim? Honestly, I thought moving away from Charlotte lacked foresight?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Wonder why it would change again from the Chicago Wolves wasn't it? Another COVID victim? Honestly, I thought moving away from Charlotte lacked foresight?

May have been negotiation by threat.  I've tried to keep my eyes open but i haven't seen anything from the Hurricanes, Checkers, Wolves, or Panthers on the subject since that week back in February or whenever it was that the news supposedly broke.  Hoping the 'soon make announcement' truly does come soon.  I mean it kind of has to by this point, yes?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Hall hasn’t played with high end center like Aho yet.  RNH was as good as he is now the last time those two played together. His losing is more he was on the Oilers, Devils, and Coyotes.

Hall said he wants a winner and stable more than filling up his account.

moving Dzingel and one of Nino/Gardiner this season and we can afford him.  Moving another pricey contract the following season.  

So, as intriguing as Taylor Hall might be on a H-A-T line, this is a player who's seeking his last big paycheck estimated at $9.5-#11 mil, with a not insignificant injury history, during a flat CAP period for the next 3 years? Sorry, but to my way of thinking, this is just too risky particularly with the likes of Hamilton and Svechnikov coming up for there pay increase.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, as intriguing as Taylor Hall might be on a H-A-T line, this is a player who's seeking his last big paycheck estimated at $9.5-#11 mil, with a not insignificant injury history, during a flat CAP period for the next 3 years? Sorry, but to my way of thinking, this is just too risky particularly with the likes of Hamilton and Svechnikov coming up for there pay increase.

I doubt Hall gets that amount.